Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Play DUNGEON MAGIC too, it's a good counterpart to Capcom's D&D games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
After some consideration, it would seem a shame not to allow games directly inspired by 2.5D beat em ups to play too, because where would Tekken Force and DDneon go to play, otherwise? So we're going to take a moment to look at an extra: Kavinsky, The Videogame.

Kavinsky

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
The Punisher with all of its over the top greatness.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Reinbach posted:

The Punisher with all of its over the top greatness.

It's on there, as well as a game very much inspired by it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

As we continue Final Fight, a special guest helps us teach Edi exactly where he can stick his cowardice.

West Side

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
As goofy as Kavinsky seemed, I could hear what sounded like pretty cool '80's action-inspired music in the background.

Something I love about [all] the Final Fights is that you get to beat up badguys in some pretty unique locales, such as this nightclub/pit deal, followed by a back alley street parade. In the arcade version, which I played to death as a kid, Edi E.'s a bitch to fight, as he goes hog wild with that gun. But he's certainly not the most annoying boss; I'll comment when you get to him.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

As goofy as Kavinsky seemed, I could hear what sounded like pretty cool '80's action-inspired music in the background.

Something I love about [all] the Final Fights is that you get to beat up badguys in some pretty unique locales, such as this nightclub/pit deal, followed by a back alley street parade. In the arcade version, which I played to death as a kid, Edi E.'s a bitch to fight, as he goes hog wild with that gun. But he's certainly not the most annoying boss; I'll comment when you get to him.

That's actually music from his album, "Outrun".

I liked that in Edi's stage, you could see the night sky in the background almost everywhere.

The SNES version of Final Fight is definitely easier than the arcade version, but it's still ridiculously hard for any normal person. And if you're holding out for Rolento, he's not in this version, but I have a feeling I know who you might mean.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've been on a Toaplan kick lately, enjoying their games in Shmupmame. While they were generally known for their shmups, they actually made one beat-em-up - Knuckle Bash. I've heard absolutely nothing about it except a short blurb during an interview ("Fighting games were popular in arcades at the time, so we were asked to make a fighting game." That's it, no other details.) This thread inspired me to try it out (read - credit feed it on Easy difficulty). The prevailing theme is professional wrestling, and all the silliness that comes along with it. Toaplan's statement about it being a fighting game were somewhat true - there are many boss-like areas where it's just you against one other dude, in between "standard" areas where you wreck waves of grunts. The character design, to say the least, is pretty crazy. I was both hilariously amused and sickeningly disgusted by the last boss. The graphics, while on the same hardware as the gorgeous Tatsujin-Oh and Dogyuun, are nowhere near as detailed and look amateurish for 1993. Nothing stood out in the music department, but the sound effects are nice. Lastly, the control is good, and the first character I picked (bare-chested blonde dude) was able to dish out combos while moving, which I don't think I've seen in any other beat-em-up. It's a two-button game like Final Fight but there are lots of different moves, including specials that I was able to pull off by button-mashing and waggling the stick. Give it a whirl, it's fun for a quick playthrough to see the characters, but it's not exactly Toaplan's best work.

Although it's now overshadowed by the D&D games, I really liked Capcom's King of Dragons. It has a good SNES port, too. Also Robo Army for the Neo-Geo and Irem's Undercover Cops.

Forgot one: PuLiRuLa. There's one level that's simply :stare:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I've been on a Toaplan kick lately, enjoying their games in Shmupmame. While they were generally known for their shmups, they actually made one beat-em-up - Knuckle Bash. I've heard absolutely nothing about it except a short blurb during an interview ("Fighting games were popular in arcades at the time, so we were asked to make a fighting game." That's it, no other details.) This thread inspired me to try it out (read - credit feed it on Easy difficulty). The prevailing theme is professional wrestling, and all the silliness that comes along with it. Toaplan's statement about it being a fighting game were somewhat true - there are many boss-like areas where it's just you against one other dude, in between "standard" areas where you wreck waves of grunts. The character design, to say the least, is pretty crazy. I was both hilariously amused and sickeningly disgusted by the last boss. The graphics, while on the same hardware as the gorgeous Tatsujin-Oh and Dogyuun, are nowhere near as detailed and look amateurish for 1993. Nothing stood out in the music department, but the sound effects are nice. Lastly, the control is good, and the first character I picked (bare-chested blonde dude) was able to dish out combos while moving, which I don't think I've seen in any other beat-em-up. It's a two-button game like Final Fight but there are lots of different moves, including specials that I was able to pull off by button-mashing and waggling the stick. Give it a whirl, it's fun for a quick playthrough to see the characters, but it's not exactly Toaplan's best work.

Although it's now overshadowed by the D&D games, I really liked Capcom's King of Dragons. It has a good SNES port, too. Also Robo Army for the Neo-Geo and Irem's Undercover Cops.

Robo Army, PuLiRuLa, King of Dragons, and Undercover Cops are all in the plans.

But Knuckle Bash? I'm happy to say I've never heard of that before, and I'll play it as soon as I can.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

King of Dragons loving ruled. Always cracked me up that the midboss looked exactly like Goldar from Power Rangers.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

King of Dragons AND Knights of the Round :colbert:
Oh, and speaking of the Power Rangers, the SNES version of Power Rangers: The Movie, was actually a weirdly fun beat 'em up (not to be confused with the tournament version...which sucked balls.)

And no, it's not Rolento. To semi-avoid "spoilers" (read: mainly because I forgot his name), he's big and Andore-like and if I recall, has a chick's name.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

King of Dragons AND Knights of the Round :colbert:
Oh, and speaking of the Power Rangers, the SNES version of Power Rangers: The Movie, was actually a weirdly fun beat 'em up (not to be confused with the tournament version...which sucked balls.)

And no, it's not Rolento. To semi-avoid "spoilers" (read: mainly because I forgot his name), he's big and Andore-like and if I recall, has a chick's name.

That's the one. He's got my favorite back-story of all the bosses.

I think the SNES version is more an action-platformer, and the Genesis version is a straight up beat em up. Both are well designed though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Doesn't in the Guy version he replace Cody as a playable character? Weird that they could only have two per game with that. I also want to say that Final Fight Guy was one of the handful of games released exclusively for Blockbuster to rent in the US and couldn't be found any other way.

Knights of the Round is one of those beat em ups I managed to beat in the arcades by nature of going in with 20 bucks worth of tokens and being stubborn. It's a good game. A few others I can think of that I did that with were the TMNT game, The Simpsons, and X-Men. I would have liked to have done that on Aliens Vs Predator, but that game is crazy long for a beat em up.

Also, the Power Rangers games have been mentioned and I'd like to point out that Mateo360 did several of them from the 16 bit era in a mega thread that's been put into the lparchive if you'd like to watch those.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

X-Men was such a crazy fun experience just for people dropping in and out of the six person cabinet. Random Guy as Cyclops runs out of quarters, we've lost a brother. But lo, here comes another Random Guy buying in as Nightcrawler to save us from Juggernaut! Yay!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Doesn't in the Guy version he replace Cody as a playable character? Weird that they could only have two per game with that. I also want to say that Final Fight Guy was one of the handful of games released exclusively for Blockbuster to rent in the US and couldn't be found any other way.

Knights of the Round is one of those beat em ups I managed to beat in the arcades by nature of going in with 20 bucks worth of tokens and being stubborn. It's a good game. A few others I can think of that I did that with were the TMNT game, The Simpsons, and X-Men. I would have liked to have done that on Aliens Vs Predator, but that game is crazy long for a beat em up.

Also, the Power Rangers games have been mentioned and I'd like to point out that Mateo360 did several of them from the 16 bit era in a mega thread that's been put into the lparchive if you'd like to watch those.

I will give those a look.

DeathChicken posted:

X-Men was such a crazy fun experience just for people dropping in and out of the six person cabinet. Random Guy as Cyclops runs out of quarters, we've lost a brother. But lo, here comes another Random Guy buying in as Nightcrawler to save us from Juggernaut! Yay!

Was that the game that adjusted the enemy spawn rate based on the amount of players?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It might have been. But more important, X-men got on the map for the six player simultaneous gameplay and having a display that was two screens wide. It was significantly bigger than any other cabinet in the arcades. The later bosses like Juggernaut and Magneto were SUCH quarter munchers.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Choco1980 posted:

Unfortunately due to copyright bullshit from Warner bros, I don't have the videos up on my youtube anymore but I sent the videos to baldurk to be put up on the internet archive (though that was well over a month or two ago, I might need to contact him to see how that is going.). Though I might be able to post them up on a second account if anyone wants to watch in the mean time.

I would also like to ask about the possibility of Castle Crashers being on the list of things to cover.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 18, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The lack of video today is due to my ethical inability to upload a video of TMNT Arcade Attack, which is either shovelware or had so little time in development that it resembles shovelware. There are basic elements of beat 'em up design in play, such as maneuvering around enemy projectiles, but the level design and enemy placement are poor beyond belief.

mateo360 posted:

Unfortunately due to copyright bullshit from Warner bros, I don't have the videos up on my youtube anymore but I sent the videos to baldurk to be put up on the internet archive (though that was well over a month or two ago, I might need to contact him to see how that is going.). Though I might be able to post them up on a second account if anyone wants to watch in the mean time.

I would also like to ask about the possibility of Castle Crashers being on the list of things to cover.

That's a pretty big shame. I would definitely be interested in watching them. And we'll see about Castle Crashers, though I'd definitely like to get to it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That's a pretty big shame. I would definitely be interested in watching them. And we'll see about Castle Crashers, though I'd definitely like to get to it.

Ask and ye shall receive. I uploaded it all to my secondary account unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Q-Cxa4TTyi1GsVtwHi5cBpJyvbUbxK6

A couple of notes though:

1) this was one of my earlier LPs so I have an standard opener that I have phased out because it sounded stupid.
2) The first 2 episodes are bit more... dry in terms of commentary but I got a second commentator for the 3rd episode on.
3)Obviously a couple of them aren't Beat'um ups. Mostly MMPR Gen, SNES FIghting edition, VR Troopers and the last episode showing off games I didn't do for my thread.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Ask and ye shall receive. I uploaded it all to my secondary account unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Q-Cxa4TTyi1GsVtwHi5cBpJyvbUbxK6

A couple of notes though:

1) this was one of my earlier LPs so I have an standard opener that I have phased out because it sounded stupid.
2) The first 2 episodes are bit more... dry in terms of commentary but I got a second commentator for the 3rd episode on.
3)Obviously a couple of them aren't Beat'um ups. Mostly MMPR Gen, SNES FIghting edition, VR Troopers and the last episode showing off games I didn't do for my thread.

That's perfectly fine, I'm just glad you could bring them back from the dead

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Checked out that game's video and the game is pretty :stare: in general. It may also be the only game in this genre where the player doesn't actually kill anybody.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jeek posted:

Checked out that game's video and the game is pretty :stare: in general. It may also be the only game in this genre where the player doesn't actually kill anybody.

It depends on what you count as killing. There are several games where the enemies don't die, just "disappear", but they're dead for all intents and purposes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for the reups Mateo! I never got a chance to watch that last video before today

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

More messing around in MAME after downloading a huge archive of snapshots and history.dat. Found this game called Kozure Ookami from 1987 by Nichibutsu who I think had a lot of popular games in Japan. The only one I can think of is Armed Formation, a rad shmup. Anyway, it's got that old-Japan motif. You play a samurai-looking dude with a little kid on his back. It features 2.5D movement and you hack your way through hordes of mooks with his sword, although I saw him using one of those bladed spears (naganata?) in the attract mode. You can get point coins and power-ups by slashing these statues, and one of them is pretty crazy - you push the kid around in a wooden cart that shoots fireballs, destroying everything. Seems like a cool game, but I couldn't get past the first stage. Apparently it's based off a manga called Lone Wolf and Cub, which I've heard of before.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Holy crap, a Lone Wolf and Cub game?? Amazing. That series is possibly one of the most awesome samurai stories to ever get any kind of Western exposure. It's SUPER violent, and just as the game shows, stars a ex-samurai wandering the countryside with his very young son while he just butchers other dudes left and right.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next video, we bust heads to some semi-iconic music.

Bay Area

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I never saw anything in this game past Abigail when I played it in the arcade, he was a giant brick wall. Stupid Bull Charge thing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ofecks posted:

More messing around in MAME after downloading a huge archive of snapshots and history.dat. Found this game called Kozure Ookami from 1987 by Nichibutsu who I think had a lot of popular games in Japan. The only one I can think of is Armed Formation, a rad shmup. Anyway, it's got that old-Japan motif. You play a samurai-looking dude with a little kid on his back. It features 2.5D movement and you hack your way through hordes of mooks with his sword, although I saw him using one of those bladed spears (naganata?) in the attract mode. You can get point coins and power-ups by slashing these statues, and one of them is pretty crazy - you push the kid around in a wooden cart that shoots fireballs, destroying everything. Seems like a cool game, but I couldn't get past the first stage. Apparently it's based off a manga called Lone Wolf and Cub, which I've heard of before.

I will definitely check that out as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I never saw anything in this game past Abigail when I played it in the arcade, he was a giant brick wall. Stupid Bull Charge thing.

Abigail is an absolute beast. In the arcade mode it's reasonably possible to grab him, but in the SNES version they don't even give you that much.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Abigail is what was known in arcades as the "quarter waster"; mainly because 2-3 hits deplete an entire life bar and he's rather difficult to unload a full combo on without him knocking you down with a punch in between. You really can't even do the tried-and-true method of going up and then moving down on him (which usually instantly lets you grab the enemy).

Also, I forgot about the stage music; they used it in the Street Fighter X Tekken FF stage too. Pretty cool.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

Abigail is what was known in arcades as the "quarter waster"; mainly because 2-3 hits deplete an entire life bar and he's rather difficult to unload a full combo on without him knocking you down with a punch in between. You really can't even do the tried-and-true method of going up and then moving down on him (which usually instantly lets you grab the enemy).

Also, I forgot about the stage music; they used it in the Street Fighter X Tekken FF stage too. Pretty cool.

There are very few official remixes of that music, but I'm glad there's been at least a couple.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Fun thread, hope there will be some multiplayer madness. My suggestion would be the excellent arcade game Crime Fighters. Now there's a game that knew how to do boss fights!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

After a test-run, I believe I can get Youtube Streaming working well enough for a live playthrough of Fighting Force, an old 3d beat em up that was going to be Streets of Rage 3D. The game has multiple paths, so letting a chat choose those paths and which character to play as seems ideal. If anyone is interested, it should be around

Friday, April 24th, 7PM EST

If all goes well, the main page of my channel should display the stream just fine. If all doesn't go well, I'll just post an update here. Cheers!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of could've been Streets of Rage projects, will you be touching on the fanmade Remake?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

speaking of could've been Streets of Rage projects, will you be touching on the fanmade Remake?

Hell yes. Calling it a Remake is almost an insult, that game is everything Streets of Rage could've hoped to be.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I know you won't get to it for a while, but if you have a list somewhere, make you sure you put Foul Play onto the pc section.

It's a great homage to classic beatemups with online coop and is centered around a parry mechanic.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Fighting Force was the poo poo when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I played the demo I had endlessly. Then went through each path at least once when I actually got the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PBnJamo posted:

I know you won't get to it for a while, but if you have a list somewhere, make you sure you put Foul Play onto the pc section.

It's a great homage to classic beatemups with online coop and is centered around a parry mechanic.

Will look into it.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Fighting Force was the poo poo when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I played the demo I had endlessly. Then went through each path at least once when I actually got the game.

The demo had some balance issues, which I'm glad they fixed for the final release.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, the thread is finally up. That means I have to hurry up and actually start on my contribution to this thread. Oh god why did I say I'd do it?

I'm looking forward to the stream tonight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd like to request you do Nekketsu Oyako (Saturn/PS1) at some point. It's a rather delightful game that deserves more exposure, and it's up there with Growl and PuLiRuLa on the high end of the "what the gently caress am I even playing" scale.

• Locked thread