Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

goddamn the levels are so quick, you never realised that as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Golden Axe - 3

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

one thing that I always enjoyed about the story for Golden Axe is that they didn't give a poo poo about anything. Oh yeah, we're just gonna take a giant turtle across the way to the next part, no biggie. Oh that flying village turned out to be a giant eagle? Yeah that's normal.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

one thing that I always enjoyed about the story for Golden Axe is that they didn't give a poo poo about anything. Oh yeah, we're just gonna take a giant turtle across the way to the next part, no biggie. Oh that flying village turned out to be a giant eagle? Yeah that's normal.

I can't begin to comprehend how that fits into any kind of ecosystem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I can't begin to comprehend how that fits into any kind of ecosystem.

The entire ecosystem of Golden Axe consists entirely of metal album covers, I think.

It is also totally sweet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Golden Axe - 4

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've been using this chance to play Golden Axe III again as well, and I love it even more now than back when I first played it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you know, I never played any of the other Golden Axe games, do they change much or stay relatively the same? I ask because I know that Streets of Rage used the same engine as Golden Axe but then used its own for 2 and 3.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

you know, I never played any of the other Golden Axe games, do they change much or stay relatively the same? I ask because I know that Streets of Rage used the same engine as Golden Axe but then used its own for 2 and 3.

Golden Axe 2 is more of the same, not really a notable departure from the first. Golden Axe III though, has nearly twice as many playable characters, branching pathways, and the design is far more fair to the average player. (Also the bosses are a lot more varied)

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Golden Axe lore nerding: Gilius doesn't actually wield the Golden Axe in game. The story is that Death Adder has stolen the axe and used it to conquer the lands, and you're getting it back. I also really like Chicken Leg best. I used to hate it and Dragon 2, because I couldn't use them (unlike Dragon 1, which I had no problems with). Now however, I'm more used to using it so I like it.

Golden Axe 2 is more of the same, not really a notable departure from the first. Golden Axe III though, has nearly twice as many playable characters, branching pathways, and the design is far more fair to the average player. (Also the bosses are a lot more varied)

Golden Axe III actually had multiple endings as well depending on what route you took and what enemies you fought, and one of my favourite things in any game: team attacks (and team magics). Golden Axe II actually has two versions. The Mega Drive version is pretty much the same as the first one, with most enemies being sprite swaps of GA enemies. One nice feature of that game was that you could hold the magic button down to charge the level of magic that you wanted to use instead of just using the max level you had at the time.

The arcade version of GAII actually had four playable characters, Stern the barbarian (basically Ax Battler), Dora the Centaur, Little Trix the elf, and Goah the giant (with Gilius riding on his back). The game also had multiple paths, some nifty vertical scrolling stages, and a tweaked magic system with some rather interesting ones like Little Trix's power of nature to grow trees that would drop healing fruits, and Goah's power of death (which has a REALLY cool looking animation).

Finally, the arcade Golden Axe III was Golden Axe: The Duel. It was a 2D fighter though, but it did have a fairly diverse cast of Golden Axe themed Street Fighter characters. Kain Blade (Ax Battler) was Ryu, Milan Flare was Vega, Green was Zangief, etc. The supers were also very impressive to look at for the time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Golden Axe - 5

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Golden Axe - 6

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man those skeletons are assholes. It looks like the glitch with the axe baddies is that they can't move off screen and you end up inside their swing range and they keep trying to back up away fromm you and can't.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Those General Bitters were our roadblock in the DOS version we played. I could count the number of times we got past them on one hand I bet, if we ever got past them at all.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Man those skeletons are assholes. It looks like the glitch with the axe baddies is that they can't move off screen and you end up inside their swing range and they keep trying to back up away fromm you and can't.

I guess they can't move off-screen so that it's impossible for them to spam their projectile attack where you can't hit them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I never actually got to Death Bringer as a kid, we would always beat Death Adder easily enough and still have a continue or 2 left afterwards but I seem to recall myself and my brother or sister always ended up getting to the point where the landscape changes and you have to move up. When we were younger we never noticed that you could actually move up and so we kept trying to charge leap across the chasm. We honestly thought our game was kinda broke but to be fair, we never figured out that barrel in Sonic 3 either, so our problem solving skills were severely lacking when it came to video games :v:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I think that last level is Megadrive/Genesis exclusive? I may be mis-remembering, as I could have sworn the last guy was called "Death Ax" though.

I also like the fact the the Bitters and "Sgt Malt and Sgt Hop" make half the big enemies beer-themed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Prenton posted:

I think that last level is Megadrive/Genesis exclusive? I may be mis-remembering, as I could have sworn the last guy was called "Death Ax" though.

I also like the fact the the Bitters and "Sgt Malt and Sgt Hop" make half the big enemies beer-themed.

I distinctly remember that last level in the DOS version.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Prenton posted:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I distinctly remember that last level in the DOS version.

The arcade version was missing the last level, but most home versions had it I believe.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

The arcade version was missing the last level, but most home versions had it I believe.

Master System version definitely didn't have it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"The Death Bringer is present only in the home versions. In the MS-DOS version his abilities are somewhat limited compared to the Sega Genesis version - he does not have the projectile attack, and his skeletons are far weaker than him. Another difference is that in the MS-DOS version, you are actually required to kill both skeletons, even if Death Bringer is already dead, allowing for somewhat anti-climactic endings."

From StrategyWiki.org

Looks like it may just be those two versions.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Golden Axe III

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Looking forward to seeing how you handle one of the recurring mid-bosses (the one that always comes in pairs, if I recall). I played this a while back and couldn't find a single approach to them that didn't result in me getting dunked. Didn't know about the special attack, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

love to see Golden Axe 3 is carrying on the fine Golden Axe tradition of "no fucks given" about the fantastical settings. I mean, snails that just get up and run? Cool :D

Also since you can grab enemies now can you also throw them? As most of my real beat 'em up knowledge is from Streets of Rage I always remember that throws do the most damage, even though they also expose you the most.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

magikid posted:

Looking forward to seeing how you handle one of the recurring mid-bosses (the one that always comes in pairs, if I recall). I played this a while back and couldn't find a single approach to them that didn't result in me getting dunked. Didn't know about the special attack, though.

Oh, that video was a one off, but I sympathize and do have a solution.

If you mean the goat enemies with several arms that knock you out of the air, the trick is to stand just out of their reach, and leap well above their head before you do your downward stab. It helps to lure them onto separate planes so they can't attack you at the same time, first. Same goes with the guys with hammers. And an extra note: if big dual enemies charge at you, pressing down both attack and jump at the same time performs a knockback move that should push them away. Hope this helps! If all else fails, keep in mind that Tyris has a much faster reaction time than the other characters.

Aces High posted:

love to see Golden Axe 3 is carrying on the fine Golden Axe tradition of "no fucks given" about the fantastical settings. I mean, snails that just get up and run? Cool :D

Also since you can grab enemies now can you also throw them? As most of my real beat 'em up knowledge is from Streets of Rage I always remember that throws do the most damage, even though they also expose you the most.

You can throw them, I believe, but I just tend to go with the bashing. Golden Axe III is strange in that you have to press attack to activate a grab, so it's very context sensitive, as well.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Oh, that video was a one off, but I sympathize and do have a solution.

If you mean the goat enemies with several arms that knock you out of the air, the trick is to stand just out of their reach, and leap well above their head before you do your downward stab. It helps to lure them onto separate planes so they can't attack you at the same time, first. Same goes with the guys with hammers. And an extra note: if big dual enemies charge at you, pressing down both attack and jump at the same time performs a knockback move that should push them away. Hope this helps! If all else fails, keep in mind that Tyris has a much faster reaction time than the other characters.

Yeah, those were the ones. Maybe I'll have to give the game another shot now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We're still not nearly done with Golden Axe. Any guesses which one is next?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

We're still not nearly done with Golden Axe. Any guesses which one is next?

I'm guessing the game gear one whose name I can't recall at the moment.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Golden Axe: Myth

A fan-made spiritual successor to Golden Axe. The art is beautiful, the music is powerful, and the game design is... well it's very okay. But the game is full of heart and that's what matters.

1: Road to Glory Redux

2: Downtown Slaughter

3: Dwarven Durability

4: Big Flying Thing

5: Mud Demon

6: The Beginning

That's everything!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 6, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Olesh posted:

I'm guessing the game gear one whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Was that Golden Axe Warrior?

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
So Death Adder is a playable character in that game? And a bishounen?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Was that Golden Axe Warrior?

Golden Axe Warrior was the Master System title.

Neige posted:

So Death Adder is a playable character in that game? And a bishounen?

Yes! Only pretty or cool looking people are good guys. This is what I have learned.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so did this remake get C&D'd like the Streets of Rage remake was back in ye olde 2010?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

so did this remake get C&D'd like the Streets of Rage remake was back in ye olde 2010?

I actually don't know. I know the website is gone now, though.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

I actually don't know. I know the website is gone now, though.

It looked like an OpenBOR mod, and all the spritework is their own. That said, it's still Sega's IP so who knows if the C&D came in.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

It looked like an OpenBOR mod, and all the spritework is their own. That said, it's still Sega's IP so who knows if the C&D came in.

Golden Axe is significantly less beloved than Streets of Rage, so maybe they let it slide. Especially after Beast Rider proved to be less than stellar for their sales.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just an fyi as I know it's quality has been discussed before here and in the Fatal Fury thread, but right now Double Dragon Neon is on sale on steam for just a dollar if you're interested in it. I grabbed it along with a handful of other trash-priced games because I had a few bucks in my steam wallet today.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Just an fyi as I know it's quality has been discussed before here and in the Fatal Fury thread, but right now Double Dragon Neon is on sale on steam for just a dollar if you're interested in it. I grabbed it along with a handful of other trash-priced games because I had a few bucks in my steam wallet today.

An 81% positive review rating seems like an absolute crime, honestly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Your recommendation was enough for me to buy it today. After all, it was only a dollar, and I had the funds in the account already. I'm kinda distracted by all the new content in Binding of Isaac that dropped last weekend, but I'll have to start playing it and try to get relatively okay at it (spoiler I totally won't get good) but I'd totally play online with people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love me a good beat em up especially if it has 80s cheesiness, thanks for the tip about Double Dragon Neon. I'd also love to see the Simpsons Arcade game get covered, I used to play that all the time whenever I went to Chuck E Cheese's.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 4, 2015

• Locked thread