Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

I eagerly await Team Hendrix' new in-house muscle next week showing their enemies in the worlds of drug dealing and school politics what for.

Poor Rachel. Just when you think she's suffered enough, she has to sit through Scott teaching her the rules of some mega nerdy board game poo poo. Nothing she's done warrants this Hell.

Rachel recoiling when she realized she was going to be forcibly coached into knowing not-Catan was pretty great. It would be bad storytelling, but having her learning the game ending up going nowhere would be funny. Maybe it can play into things, though.

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, towards the recommendations earlier, no to Dollhouse. Really. The lead is so terrible, she brings the entire house down, and not in the good way. You can't ask to go through poo poo episodes, and sloppy premise, and a terrible lead. Too much. Those first episodes take forever to get through and by the time you do, it doesn't even seem worth it for what you get. The premise is shoddy at best, creepy at worst. Whedon's worst work.

Seconding this. The only similarity is that there's actors who play different versions of their characters sometimes. I'm not even sure how it stands up at this point. It starts out lovely and episodic, and there were confirmations that it was going to get more serial after what as basically 4-5 pilot-ish episodes. If you watched when it aired, you might be confused into thinking it recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
See how good this show is without Castor? My god what an episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Hawh Helena's still got her giant vat-o-embryos

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Why is Cosima turning into a new age weirdo

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Haha Felix's American accent

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
:smith: Crystal.

They should have told her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Crystal was great, I want her to be a proper member of Clone Club :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Helana and Donnie was pretty funny.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The whole Jason and Donnie fighting for Alison thing is kind of getting old to me. It just isn't adding much to the show.

I'm sure it will lead to something substantial but I wish they'd get there already.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Helena is going to gently caress Jimmy/Steve up... his days are numbered.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Anyone else finding the conspiracies within conspiracies within conspiracies getting a bit tedious? When they revealed Rachel was transferred to yet another mysterious woman in charge whose face we cannot see, I had to roll my eyes.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 8, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Usually I'd agree, but dangit I really loved the plot and pace of this episode anyway. I don't think anything happened in the hour that I didn't enjoy; the show is really hitting the "on point" portion of the season. Enjoy it while it lasts!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The mystery-in-a-mystery thing is kind of the whole show though. I think it pulls it off well enough to be interesting.

Also, Donnie and Helena riding off into the sunset should be a thing.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

NoDamage posted:

another mysterious woman in charge whose face we cannot see
The hairstyle made me think of Susan Duncan. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer that or a new character.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
RIP Rachel/Scott dream team. We'll always have Agricola.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

imperialparadox posted:

Also, Donnie and Helena riding off into the sunset should be a thing.

Second this, They should run away together.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Orphan Black S3: This Is My Truth Voice

Poor Crystal. Got poo poo on by pretty much everyone this episode, didn't she? Nice to hear Jordan's real voice for a bit, though.

Was Rachel the mole? I'm confused. Obviously she engineered her own escape with that TopSide guy, and played Sarah and co. to an extent, but I can't tell if she was also the person who leaked information on the book to Castor.

Alison's plot seems to have folded fairly seamlessly into the larger season, which is great. And I had my weekly "oh dang" moment when I watched the Donnie/Helena scene (sorry, the Mister Chubbs/Helena scene) and remembered that Helena's actress usually plays his wife...

I love Helena. I love the panic among all the other clones about who has to watch her. I love that she takes her frozen baby eggs with her everywhere she goes. I love how she's forgiving/befriending the Prolethean girl. (No mention of that time she tried to smother Helena...) And based on that preview, I CANNOT WAIT for next week...

:black101:

EDIT: Hell-Wizard! We need a spinoff featuring Scott and his gaming group. They can team up with Mister Chubbs and have pseduo-manly adventures.

Takei is Okay fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2015

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Takei is Okay posted:

Was Rachel the mole? I'm confused. Obviously she engineered her own escape with that TopSide guy, and played Sarah and co. to an extent, but I can't tell if she was also the person who leaked information on the book to Castor.

Assuming that Shay is indeed a Castor spy, then she must have been the one who figured out that Dr Moreau was the book. She sees it in the lab, Scott and Cosima act super suspicious about it and put it in Scott's bag, then Rudy shows up knowing exactly what to look for and who has it.

Rachel was the only other person at Dyad who knew about the book (though not necessarily the copy), and since she had her own escape plan that involved the book, I can't see her thinking it was a good idea to bring Castor in to potentially screw that up.

I'm wondering now--if Shay is a Castor plant--what was her plan, exactly? Hang out in the city and make a dating profile in hopes that Felix and Cosima would, on their own, also make a dating profile and choose her out of everyone else? I mean, kudos for it working, but that was a hell of a long shot.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
That does seem pretty far-fetched. My roommates and I thought that maybe Delphine is framing Shay so she can have Cosima back...

Then again, you need a flowchart to track who's betraying whom and what secret agenda each shady organization has. I think that's why I like the Alison plots so much: mixed in among this X-Files tech military conspiracy babble, there's cheesy reliable sitcom antics. Sarah and Cosima's problems are cryptic science spy stuff, Alison's are "oh no I have to give a speech to the school board AND calm down my mother but Donnie took the WRONG ENVELOPE!"

(Speaking of the roommates, thanks again to everyone who suggested Orphan-Black-like alternate shows they might like. They turned up their noses at every single suggestion. Urgh. We've also given Boardwalk Empire, Salem and Monk a try -- nothing's sticking -- we're all over the map here. Frustrating!)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else finding the conspiracies within conspiracies within conspiracies getting a bit tedious? When they revealed Rachel was transferred to yet another mysterious woman in charge whose face we cannot see, I had to roll my eyes.

Yeah, it's getting really convoluted for my tastes, and this is coming from someone who likes X-Files and David Lynch stuff. I like the show but it's mainly for the scenes that don't involve the actual main plot, as opposed to how gripping the entire thing was for me in the first season.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

zer0spunk posted:

I've only seen justin chatwin in this and shameless, and he's playing the exact same character. It really kind of bothers me actually. I looked him up, and other than the DBZ movie (uh what?) that's basically all he's really known for. I look forward to the next show he's in as the smarmy douchebag you want to hit.

If by "hit" you mean sex the living heck out of, I'm down hahahahaha.
If you don't like him, send him over here :)

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Goddamn Helena

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I get refund :unsmigghh:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That scene was why I love Helena

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Lmao what a lovely twist

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So did they really go with a "Cartman's dad is his mom" plot twist here?
Don't get me wrong, I'm along for the ride but the gently caress?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Helena still best clone.

The conspiracy plot is......there. Yup. It sure exists.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
So Shay is a new age-y person who used to be in the military (but not the Castor part of it) and has secret money and acts shady as hell, but is not the spy? There's gotta be more to her than that.

How did Gracie even know about the book? Did they talk about it around her when they were examining her?

If I understand this correctly, the military wanted the Castor baby's body to cure the Castors because it was a pure clone that didn't have the synthetic sequence. But don't Sarah and Helena also not have the synthetic sequence (because they are fertile) and can therefore be used the same way to cure the Ledas?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
REALLY hated all the London stuff. "I got two cell lines, me!"

This though

Bwee posted:

Goddamn Helena

Can't wait for more Helena-as-another-clone scenes.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 14, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like, the thing with the conspiracy plots is that everyone always comes across so incompetent and bungling in them.

Obviously it goes without saying that Sara is consistently going to get in over her head by always bungling her way into a mess with a half-cocked plan, but the only reason she had to do that in this episode was because Siobhan ordered her and Felix to go back to the pub to wait which was so stupid. For one thing, you're going to leave your two defenseless kids alone while some assassin is out there trying to get information about them. Secondly, you're just going to tell them to go home after traveling across the ocean chasing the tiniest lead that you all jumped through a hoop factory in order to obtain, all while the stakes are so high and time is running out for everyone? That is stupid. It's stupid to expect Sarah to go along with it and it's stupid that Felix agreed with S. Of course we know S was going to go after Kendall alone while they were out of the way but there was no reason she needed to do that other than the ol' stubborn "My mysterious past is not your business despite the fact that it literally affects you directly!!" shtick that she pulls every drat season.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like this show and all but S's mother being the Leda/Castor mother and father is just stupid and way over the top coincidental.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

socialsecurity posted:

I like this show and all but S's mother being the Leda/Castor mother and father is just stupid and way over the top coincidental.
Yeah this show is way better when the stakes are smaller (Sara trying to avoid getting caught pretending to be Beth, Allison in rehab...anything involving Allison), and not when they're trying to shock us with plot twists that make zero sense.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I fell behind this season and was always a few episodes slow from this thread but I've finally caught up in time for the finale. A good uptick in quality the past few episodes and Tat remains awesome as hell. It doesn't hit the highs it did when I discovered it and marathoned S1 and S2 but Clone Club shenanigans remains enough for me to stick with though all the conspiracies.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Helena & Donnie secret mission was entirely predictable and entirely wonderful. Just make the show focus purely on Helena and the Hendricks, it's gold.

Honourable mention to Auntie Helena's take on the Mister Miyagi role to Alison's daughter too.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Speaking of Alison's kids, have we seen Oscar this season?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sentinel Red posted:

The Helena & Donnie secret mission was entirely predictable and entirely wonderful. Just make the show focus purely on Helena and the Hendricks, it's gold.

Honourable mention to Auntie Helena's take on the Mister Miyagi role to Alison's daughter too.

Reminds me of a friend telling me about the time he realized where the 'meditation exercises' his kids' nanny had been teaching them came from. (She was a former IDF sniper).

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Reminds me of a friend telling me about the time he realized where the 'meditation exercises' his kids' nanny had been teaching them came from. (She was a former IDF sniper).

What were the exercises?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ultramiraculous posted:

What were the exercises?

Controlled breathing and concentrating on your heartbeat, i.e. the prep you do to steady your aim before taking the shot.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
None of her people are visible. Except for one :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Is there still snow on the ground in Toronto or did they film all of this a long time ago

• Locked thread