Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally read through this thread, and it's good to see Orthodox being broken up. It seems like it was a bit overpowered from both the east and west being the same religion and Catholicism and Islam, its two biggest competitors getting nerfed.

I don't remember there being this amount of character-based stuff in EU4 back when I played it either. Is it part of the mod, or is it something to do with further expansions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like a no-brainer really. One side has all of the gothic allies along with religious unity, the other side would ruin diplomatic relations all for the sake of some spurious potential gains.

Convert back to arianism and take on all comers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Slaves in Rome were normally specifically either spoils of war or imports, so they were only Germans when the Romans won a big war in Germany, and they'd enslave revolt forces, but in the real world that slavery died out as Rome's conquest days waned and later emperors and successor states had to rework themselves to not rely on imported humans that could be treated like animals and they set up a long-term situation with forever indentured laborers with certain protections. I'm pretty sure that most of the classical form of Roman slavery had died out even before the start date of the LP.

In fact, the slavic takeover that this LP did for Byzantium and the lack of a rise of islam while the eastern empire never had any last hurrah, probably means that there was a real lack of sources for slave imports for the practice to make a comeback from anywhere aside from western africa, safe off the edge of the CK2 map. Maybe if since these goths are really turbo-emulate-the-past, they'd be super gung-ho about enslaving native americans, who knows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Having a totally different religion from your monarch should be a pretty heavy stumbling block that could drag the empire into a quagmire, like the english civil war or the eighty years' war, but we're a bit past the point for either of those. Alternatively, you could try drawing comparisons between that and Napoleon's short-lived scheme of replacing many of the monarchs of Europe with his own family members.

It'd certainly get wrecked during the rise of nationalism, but that's only due to happen after the timeline of EU4 ends.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was there much of a in-world or in-game reason to immediately flip on your ally for being too powerful aside from all of Europe united/allied making Victoria 2 a dull boy?

Honestly with all monarchist powers of Europe united in one way or another, that seems like reason enough to start antagonizing the republics that have sprouted up over time. If you let them live on their own, the revolution may never end up getting spread off its island. A levee en masse may be the only thing that would possibly be a threat to Francie anyways.

And hell, if the revolution doesn't take a turn towards atheism, they'd be liberating their religious fellows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NewMars posted:

You must remember why this didn't really happen in real life: the greatest enemy of a monarchy is not a republic, it is the king next door and France is next door in literally every direction.

Wasn't until Napolean declared war on literally everyone that they unified to stop him.

They didn't all band together to put France down like a rabid dog until Napoleon, but there was a degree to which they all kinda tried to get France while it was vulnerable, especially between them floundering in an ill-conceived war and half the country rebelling against Paris, while in Paris there kept on being weird purges or coups. Certainly all the French who up and left the country and maybe got their property taken in the process did everything they could to try to get the other monarchies of Europe to tackle their homeland.

But more importantly than there actually having been a monarchist conspiracy against the republic, a bunch of the revolutionaries thought there was one, which was enough for them to get into that ill-conceived war, purges, coups, whatever. Wouldn't hurt if Gothia helped things along with a real conspiracy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

What flags are you having issues over or would like more input for?

Also, I'd imagine a lot of the flags, Communist, Fascist or otherwise would borrow a lot more heavily from Roman (or maybe even Ancient Greek in Thrace's case) symbolism.

If there's one place in this entire LP that shouldn't borrow heavily from ancient Roman symbolism and whatever, it's communism.

Playing at being part of the legacy of the ancients is a rich man's game. I don't really see anything being better for representing the common workers than their tools. Maybe they could latch onto something other than the color red, but I hear blue's expensive.

As for fascism, in this world wherein the bulk of Europe supposedly traces its local government back to the empire, it seems contrary to the spirit of nationalism to trumpet around symbols that everyone and their mother uses as if they are somehow signifying the uniqueness of their own nation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Republican revolutionaries are probably, indeed, going all in on, ya know, the Republic, but yeah communism probably dumps it. Fascism you can probably argue either way, although I think it'd be dependent more on who is going fascist than anything. Remember, although largely irrelevant these days, both Imperial Crowns have maintained continuity. If Rum or whoever happens to hold the Western crown were to go fascist, they'd probably be all for restoring Imperium.

I dunno, proper fascist movements generally aren't much concerned with classical, historical legitimacy. They're more likely to make up something on their own that they can control the narrative of. Fascism is all about coming up with schemes to justify the ruling power and dictator over all other perceptions of reality, it's monarchism where people dig up some kind of bizarre historical foundation of legitimacy, trying to court the respect of all other legitimate powers rather than telling them to gently caress off.

And honestly in Rum's case my money'd be on some kind of nationalist revolt trying to scourge the rummen ruling minority.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Play the Gauls and make the sack of Rome into a regular event.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's no goodies in Victoria. Just imperialists and their victims. That's kinda what all those mechanics of map painting and wealth pouring in from colonial ventures or spheres of influence seem tailored to push players towards.

I don't think there's been an LP that went full fascist, but I guess that requires getting wrecked in a war, and it's just as well because it's no fun roleplaying Hitler.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Set up a paypal and institute a poll tax.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are a very few big, massive nations in Europe, and when one of them finally decides to crush another, it's going to be a massive war, even if the Great War hasn't been established yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

catlord posted:

Al-Andalus vs. Gothia would be... quite the fight. It would also end up with the entire world on fire.

Considering Al-Andalus's history of spectacular failure and Gothia's record of success, I don't envy the Andalusians' chances. Even if it was 1930s Iberia versus 1860s Gothia.

I'm sure though that the Hohenzollerns would persevere through it all though.