Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I've read that the NFL is renouncing its non-profit status and that it's a move to pay a little tax and in return, it doesn't have to publish its executive salaries. This got me thinking about sports franchise taxes.

I've also read about some of the weird tax tricks that involve amortization, which as far as I understand it allows a team owner to write off the depreciation of his or her roster as if athletes were the same as a photo copier. I've also read that they get to amortize the entire purchase price of the franchise itself. What does this really mean in application to their taxes/revenue/profitability on paper, and why do teams get to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm sure that the multiple sports teams owners that post here will be happy to help you, but as a layman I can tell you that sports franchise owners are mega loving rich, and the tax code is full of stupid rear end loopholes designed for mega loving rich assholes.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
How on earth is it even a loophole, being able to depreciate assets is an utterly basic part of tax code and there's really no reason at all why it wouldn't apply here. It's like if you are a stripper you can write off dresses and makeup, because why not? Or if you are a gambler losses are deductible, in either case it's a basic part of the 'business'. Beyond that you are asking 'what is depreciation', I'm sure there's tons of resources out there that can help you for that. The basic concept is that it is silly to account for something that is going to provide value over time all in one accounting period, so amortization and depreciation pace things out over the useful life of the asset.

Grem posted:

I'm sure that the multiple sports teams owners that post here will be happy to help you, but as a layman I can tell you that sports franchise owners are mega loving rich, and the tax code is full of stupid rear end loopholes designed for mega loving rich assholes.

Good lord has the goon crying about rich people gotten old, but if you are going to do it you should at least know what you are talking about.

tsa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
These are the two resources I've found: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/04/06/new-dodgers-investors-will-get-big-tax-breaks/ and http://heathoops.com/2014/11/a-history-of-tax-sheltering-for-sports-team-ownership/

quote:

"Say, for example, a certain basketball team projects to generate around $100 million of annual basketball-related pretax income... But let’s say I decide to set up a new S Corporation (a pass-through entity) to purchase the team from the owner for $2 billion. Let’s conservatively say that my tax accountant allocates 90 percent of that purchase price to all the various intangible assets (including goodwill). I now get to deduct $120 million in amortization expenses ($2 billion * 90 percent / 15 years) from the pretax income generated by the team because I bought it. As far as the IRS is concerned, my team is no longer generating $100 million of pretax income; instead, it’s losing $20 million.

What really happened? The $100 million of pretax profit isn’t really lost; the cash is still sitting in my bank account. It’s just that I am able to recognize a paper loss according to allowable IRS rules. So I get to enjoy the $100 million of profit tax free!

But it gets better. Because my team is structured as a pass through entity, the amortization shield goes straight through to my personal 1040 income tax return, and shields other taxable income as well.

There's also this piece: http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

I don't quite understand how the roster depreciation works, but I do understand that fundamentally the sports franchise doesn't really exist as a physical entity and therefore much of its value isn't really on paper, whereas you can make all your costs appear on paper to show a loss when the team is actually making money.

• Locked thread