Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

biglads posted:

Certainly, but he really ought to have packed it in a while ago.

you won't be saying this when he smokes wlad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehappyprince posted:

you won't be saying this when he smokes wlad

Surely that'll be Tyson Furry

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

tyson's retired and don't call me a furry

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Well, one things for sure. Post-fight Pacman is probably going to look like a sweaty Pre-fight Pacman, and that's about it

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Amazing OP, as per usual.

Me and a few buddies are going to a Dave and Buster's to watch this, and if you've got a bit of extra money hanging around they're probably running a package (mine had a guaranteed seat in a private section with mega-screen, full buffet, 3 $10 drink tickets plus unlimited soft drinks, and a $15 game card if you want to play Pop-a-Shot during the Santa Cruz fight/the bits in between fights for like $70) at a location near you if that's your sort of thing.

As for the fight itself: my heart says Pacquiao (incredible offensive fighter, has really come back strong after Marquez IV, I've got a fair number of Pinoy friends that will gut me if I go for anyone else), but my head says Mayweather simply because of that defense that can suck up punches from anyone and everyone, and thus leave them open to the jab.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is one of those fights I think where people hoping that one thing happens makes it feel like it's a lot more likely to happen than it actually is.

Mayweather's probably going to take a pretty comfortable points win, though Pac won't look awful in defeat and it'll feel like the most obvious thing ever and like Pacquiao never had a chance of winning.

I want to be super wrong though.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Aurain posted:

This is one of those fights I think where people hoping that one thing happens makes it feel like it's a lot more likely to happen than it actually is.

Mayweather's probably going to take a pretty comfortable points win, though Pac won't look awful in defeat and it'll feel like the most obvious thing ever and like Pacquiao never had a chance of winning

I want to be super wrong though.

I think that's what most people expect though, so maybe it won't happen? :shobon:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't disagree by any means that that's the overwhelming expectation, but it's not what people want or hope the fight will go, which is a distinction. So many people want Money to get sparked that it feels as though people think it's more realistic than it likely is.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I would just like to chime in and say I do not have any desire for Mayweather to get sparked, and do not particularly like Manny Pacquiao.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gregor Samsa posted:

I would just like to chime in and say I do not have any desire for Mayweather to get sparked, and do not particularly like Manny Pacquiao.

Woah woah woah, who hates Pacman?

People who don't have a problem with having theirblood drawn because ~reasons~, that's who.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

LordPants posted:

Woah woah woah, who hates Pacman?

People who don't have a problem with having theirblood drawn because ~reasons~, that's who.

Or people who hate them some religion, I suppose (interviews with him have been eye-roll worthy for a bit, but he's so fun to watch that I can deal with it)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hating Pacquiao is one thing, but not hating Mayweather even more ist just wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Other people who hate Pacman: People who forget to bring him his warm milk and broth after a weigh in.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It's possible to hate Mayweather the person but love Mayweather the boxer.

I hate Mayweather the person (even though I think a lot of it is an act -- aside from the domestic violence, that makes him an rear end in a top hat by default), but I love Mayweather the boxer.

I was taking boxing lessons for a bit a few years ago and modeled myself after Mayweather's defense-first style, which most people who are new to boxing aren't interested in.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I hate Mayweather because he's a prick who beats women, but I have to admit his "Money" persona is so hilariously over the top that you have to like it a little bit. He owns over 100 cars, wears just about all of his clothes only once, and even spends over 25 grand on each of his mouthguards for each fight. The dude got a mouthguard that literally has money inside of it. It's hilarious and it's going to make him broke despite the insane amount of money he's about to make.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i hope manny has actually juiced for this fight because isn't floyd working with ariza and memo so you know he has.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm more of a fan of Manny's music than his boxing.

In my mind, the best possible outcome for this fight would be for Manny to absolutely demolish Floyd in the last 3 rounds - drop him 4x or something - and leave him terribly broken, beaten, and bloody, and perhaps barely able to stand under his own power, but then to lose a decision 114-111 or something like that. Floyd would follow that up with some relatively easy win for his precious 50-0, but the savage beating and broken orbitals he suffered at the hands of Manny Pacquiao would become a thing of song and legend, forever tainting his legacy and undefeated record. Manny victorious in the eyes of those who have them, retires to bask in the glow his countrymens' adoration. Floyd, unloved and remembered as "The Man who Won the Bout but Lost the Fight," descends into a pit of alcoholism and gambling in a futile attempt to chase away that one humiliating "win."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mayweather is complete scum but his ability to move and land in the ring completely mystifies me. I'm a total boxing novice but I recognize but he and Paq are super technical fighters so I doubt we're going to see a KO.

So are there going to be prelims or something? Again I'm a total novice so I don't know how this stuff works.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

coconono posted:

So are there going to be prelims or something? Again I'm a total novice so I don't know how this stuff works.

Yes they are, but as a UFC metaphor, it's like 3 Facebook fights and then the main event.

And because they're Facebook fights they'll be hilarious, terribly boring, or over really quick leaving like 30 min of dead air.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

coconono posted:

Mayweather is complete scum but his ability to move and land in the ring completely mystifies me. I'm a total boxing novice but I recognize but he and Paq are super technical fighters so I doubt we're going to see a KO.

The televised card is going to be this:

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Jose Cayetano
Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Gamalier Rodriguez
Jesse Hart vs. Mike Jimenez

None of these fights are good, but Lomachenko is a 27 year old two time gold medalist and amateur legend. So that's cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CommonShore posted:

I'm more of a fan of Manny's music than his boxing.

I can't see Mayweather doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm034cWvZDI

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
is there somewhere you can watch or download full fights of Boxing on the internet, i saw the mayweather/maidana recent fight but i want to watch some more and some pacquiao (not just highlights)

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3 posted:

is there somewhere you can watch or download full fights of Boxing on the internet, i saw the mayweather/maidana recent fight but i want to watch some more and some pacquiao (not just highlights)

a lot are on youtube

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

thehappyprince posted:

a lot are on youtube

Alright thanks. Anything i should look out for like whats the best fansubber group etc

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

CommonShore posted:

In my mind, the best possible outcome for this fight would be for Manny to absolutely demolish Floyd in the last 3 rounds - drop him 4x or something - and leave him terribly broken, beaten, and bloody, and perhaps barely able to stand under his own power, but then to lose a decision 114-111 or something like that. Floyd would follow that up with some relatively easy win for his precious 50-0, but the savage beating and broken orbitals he suffered at the hands of Manny Pacquiao would become a thing of song and legend, forever tainting his legacy and undefeated record. Manny victorious in the eyes of those who have them, retires to bask in the glow his countrymens' adoration. Floyd, unloved and remembered as "The Man who Won the Bout but Lost the Fight," descends into a pit of alcoholism and gambling in a futile attempt to chase away that one humiliating "win."

Floyd Jones

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 30, 2015

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3 posted:

Alright thanks. Anything i should look out for like whats the best fansubber group etc

your best bet is just searching for 'X vs Y full fight' tbh. i don't think there's too many specific channels.

there is this site too that has downloads but i'm not sure if the older links are still active https://sites.google.com/site/simbrosboxing/

this is also a good link for people who want to download the fight the next day

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

thehappyprince posted:

your best bet is just searching for 'X vs Y full fight' tbh. i don't think there's too many specific channels.

there is this site too that has downloads but i'm not sure if the older links are still active https://sites.google.com/site/simbrosboxing/

this is also a good link for people who want to download the fight the next day

sick that's exactly what i was looking for. 1995-07-01 Manny Pacquiao vs Dele Decierto works so i assume the rest do too. thanks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Showtimes official sports channel (shosports I think) has all of Mayweather's fights since he signed with them. They just recently got his second Maidana fight up.

But really, just search for "x vs y" and your first few results will either be highlights or the full fight, usually in good quality.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was reading an Andre Ward article and he mentioned he's happy to land on his opponent's joints and I know RJJ punched a guy's arm off. Has anyone ever tried punching out Floyd's shoulders or elbows? I know its kinda a fringe tactic but when you've got a guy that can stand in a phone booth and not get hit, seems like its time to reach. and hes got that lead shoulder / right elbow in very hittable positions.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Part of the problem is that he is so quick with pot shots and countering that even taking the stuff that is there is probably leaving you pretty open to get smacked around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ozymandius1024 posted:

The televised card is going to be this:

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Jose Cayetano
Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Gamalier Rodriguez
Jesse Hart vs. Mike Jimenez

None of these fights are good, but Lomachenko is a 27 year old two time gold medalist and amateur legend. So that's cool.

Lomachenko rules. World title in his 3rd pro fight. Would have been 2nd but he got screwed over.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Xguard86 posted:

I was reading an Andre Ward article and he mentioned he's happy to land on his opponent's joints and I know RJJ punched a guy's arm off. Has anyone ever tried punching out Floyd's shoulders or elbows? I know its kinda a fringe tactic but when you've got a guy that can stand in a phone booth and not get hit, seems like its time to reach. and hes got that lead shoulder / right elbow in very hittable positions.

The problem is he won't always leave his shoulder there for you to hit. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwrJ6kBvj0

Probably my favorite thing to watch him do. Also hitting his shoulder doesn't make his shoulder magically disappear, and he has his left shoulder out there, so you're not robbing him of his power shots or his countering ability very much, and counters are what 90% of his offense is based on. If you pummel his shoulder in the first few rounds, he will adjust so that you can't do it anymore. Adjustments are what he is the best at, and usually it's why he loses the first few rounds and goes on to coast to wins.

If he is sticking his chin out at you, DO NOT GO FOR THE JAB EVER.

Maidana figured out how to counter Mayweather's pull counter and landed one of the hardest punches Mayweather has ever received at the end of a round. He figured it out! Well, sort of. He landed that one shot and didn't land it again for the rest of the fight.

Roger Mayweather also beats on his shoulder a lot when they do mitt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nnWH2IEECM

Cole fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 30, 2015

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

feint and draw that pull counter then throw a straight left/ right hook imo

manny's strength in this fight could actually be his counter punching. he actually throws at the same time as his opponent which is when you're most vulnerable. he's also pretty good at catching and shooting although with floyd's athleticism that probably won't be as effective.

like i dunno if it's just that the fight is getting closer and closer and me willing it to be even but i keep seeing more and more ways manny can have succcess

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cole posted:

I was taking boxing lessons for a bit a few years ago and modeled myself after Mayweather's defense-first style, which most people who are new to boxing aren't interested in.

mmm, it's fine to have a defense-first strategy, but very few have the reflexes and physical attributes to Floyd's tactics justice. Beginners are gonna get chewed up trying to do a low guard and shoulder-first stance. A lot need to be encouraged to take one to land one if only to get them to return fire at all.

Xguard86 posted:

I was reading an Andre Ward article and he mentioned he's happy to land on his opponent's joints and I know RJJ punched a guy's arm off. Has anyone ever tried punching out Floyd's shoulders or elbows?

Maidana landed hits on Floyd's upper guard more than most, and it didn't really seem to pay dividends in the later rounds.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Lomachenko rules. World title in his 3rd pro fight. Would have been 2nd but he got screwed over.

Some of that was his own fault. He started off way too slow, and by the time he came on late (and almost put Salido on his rear end) it was already too late.

But yes, to take all those low blows, from a dude who was literally a loving welterweight the night of the fight in only your 2nd pro fight is insanely impressive in this day and age (I loving loved seeing him school Gary Russell, and I think he'd do it again too)

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

kimbo305 posted:

Maidana landed hits on Floyd's upper guard more than most, and it didn't really seem to pay dividends in the later rounds.

That's the thing people sometimes overlook about Floyd: he's not fragile.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

mmm, it's fine to have a defense-first strategy, but very few have the reflexes and physical attributes to Floyd's tactics justice. Beginners are gonna get chewed up trying to do a low guard and shoulder-first stance. A lot need to be encouraged to take one to land one if only to get them to return fire at all.

If Floyd leaves us with anything it's a generation of fighters who think simply sticking their chin behind their shoulder and leaning back = defensive genius. Not that it isn't really funny when they get exposed; see Broner against Maidana, or Berto's frankly puzzling attempt at a Philly shell versus Guerrero.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
is that 11:30pm start time for the main event reasonably accurate? Because then I won't even have to get up in the middle of the night to watch this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm sorta guessing on it. There are two or three undercard fights that will probably take somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to get through, then some national anthems and the ring walks which I imagine will take forever (it is a Floyd fight after all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think I know who I'm rooting for...

quote:

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight could soon be out of custody, but it all depends on if his good friend Floyd Mayweather Jr. is victorious Saturday in his history-making match against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.

Matthew Fletcher, Knight’s attorney, said that if Mayweather wins the bout, he expects the boxer to cover his client’s $10-million bail.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-suge-knight-murder-plea-20150430-story.html

• Locked thread