Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Soundtrack to get PUMPED! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4G9MU4wvTo

Disclaimer: I know... not a whole bunch about wrestling. Don't care. Let's play some

It's that time of the year again, wrestling fans! Time for

TRANSINTERCONTINENTAL WORLD WRESTLING!!

Watch the very best wrestlers in the whole wide world pitch their BURNING WILL and PHYSICAL PROWESS in HEATED CONTESTS against each other!

Last year, you saw how Hammerhead Tigerwhale held on to the Transintercontinental Venerabelt in a bone-breaking King of the Hill battle! You remember how Soaring Sifu and his brand of high-flying wushu managed to wrest the Planetary Greatbelt from his long-time nemesis The Lophophorate!

But this is a new year, and reigning champions might reign no more.

LEEEEEET'S WRESTLE!!!

The Promotion

Transintercontinental World Wrestling is the one true international wrestling promotion, and as such the single most popular sports event in the world. A live audience of thousands and a television audience of millions hold their breath in unison as they cheer for their country's favored champion!

The amazing matches for the Planetary Greatbelt and the Transintercontinental Venerabelt take place in the mighty Globaldome! While the season is ongoing, the Globaldome offers every accommodation necessary for the training and leisure of its superstar wrestlers. All this is, of course, sponsored and funded by the oil fortune of Mrs. Hipolita Lagervale through her megacorp, Global Enterprises.

The Talent

You are, per default, a popular wrestler in the middle card of Transintercontinental World Wrestling! A bright future awaits your career!
This year, you are considered a serious candidate to compete for the Planetary Greatbelt, one of two championships awarded by TICWW. The TICWW belts are widely regarded as the highest sporting achievement known to modern man. Whether you re worthy of the title or not depends only on YOU!

Gimmick guidelines

We're looking at a traditional PbP game, with posts every day or every other day. 4-5 players is my goal, but less is fine as well. We are using the full game rules, not the free beta ones. All core Gimmicks are in play, as well as the ones from Season One!

TICWW is a unisex promotion! Males and females compete for the titles on equal footing. This is, however, still a game about describing violence that's fake only most of the time. I trust you to remain tasteful at all times.

Hails from: ignore the options in the Gimmick sheet. Instead, give me a city and a country. Please don't pick a country that someone else's submission has already picked! We're aiming for variety here. TICWW is truly international: its wrestlers come from everywhere and anywhere.

Entrance: in addition to picking an option from the Gimmick sheet, give me an entrance song, or equivalent. Make it personal, make it memorable!

Fighting style: what do your wrestler's moves look like in the ring? Give us a brief description! Feel free to go wrestly, all powerbombs and DDTs, or less wrestly, all spider guards and mawashi geris. TICWW's match choreography gurus can cope with it.

A big appeal of Transintercontinental World Wrestling, something that draws its ever-increasing audience, is pitching exotic wrestlers from different nations and their weird fighting styles against each other. Think Street Fighter.

Remember: you're here to entertain! Deserve your audience! Be bombastic! Don't hold back!

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
With the focus on Winning The Big Belt, would whipping up a Jobber be discouraged? The idea of a wrestler who's just not all that good but sticks around because he represents America and American demographics make up a big portion of the global take amuses me to no end.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Think I'm going to try making an rear end in a top hat bullfighter from Spain.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

With the focus on Winning The Big Belt, would whipping up a Jobber be discouraged? The idea of a wrestler who's just not all that good but sticks around because he represents America and American demographics make up a big portion of the global take amuses me to no end.

Winning the belt is more of the default kayfabe focus for every wrestler involved in the competition rather than something the game will specifically revolve around. So no, not discouraged at all! I like the perversion of the Hero of the American Dream archetype.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Stage Name: Samuel "Matador" Sánchez
Hails From: Seville, Spain

Entrance: Raucous & Aggressive
Fighting Style: Samuel loves to taunt opponents and goad them into making reckless attacks, which he counters with savage kicks and strikes. He makes up for his limited technical moveset with his natural brawling talent, his reflexes, and his simple ability to take and give out a beating. Often, his fights tend to resemble a barroom brawl than a fancy wrestling match.

Some of the most notable weapons he has used in the ring include the steel pipe, the red bullfighter's cape, and the bullwhip.

Bio:
Samuel Sánchez is a former bull fighter who has brought the brutality of Spain's traditional sport into the wrestling ring. He is most well-known for his spectacular "man-vs-beast"-style matches against some of the federation's biggest monsters, as well as savage, no-holds-barred brawls with the federation's toughest wrestlers. He claims to not just be a wrestler, but a "true fighter", and is constantly in search for an opponent that can truly handle what he can dish out. He has no patience for "weaklings" that rely more on showmanship than actual talent, or "big idiots" that rely on their physical stature more than real skill.

He considers himself the best, and isn't afraid to let you know it.

Real:
Antonio Belmonte left the sport of bullfighting mostly because the bullfighting community did not want him there anymore. He had a strong habit of getting into arguments with his peers and managers, with him often complaining about how "stagnant" and "backwards" the sport was, or expressing his disdain for "bullshit traditions that nobody even cares about anymore." When his talent for pissing off his bosses started to slow and eventually completely halt his rise through the ranks, things became worse and worse until he decided to leave.

Guided by his talent for getting into barfights, he joined the amateur MMA circuit and eventually the TICWW.

Gimmick: Hardcore
Role: Heel

Stats:
Look 1, Power -1, Real 1, Work -1

Audience: +1

Moves:
FINISHING MOVE - When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6. On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean (or bloody).
Choose whether you or your opponent gains +1 Audience.
On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: you win clean, and you both gain +1 Momentum, or sacrifice your body to make it happen - you gain +1 Heat with them and take an injury.
On a botch, you still get the win, but pick one: you lose -1 Audience, or you injure your opponent.

TABLES AND LADDERS AND CHAIRS, OH MY: Whenever you’re booked in a match, you can add the Hardcore stipulation:
no disqualification, no count out, and weapons allowed. The match uses the Hardcore Stipulation Move.

HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE: +1 Real (Max +3)

Takanago fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 6, 2015

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Stage Name: "238"
Hails From: St. Petersburg, Russia

Entrance: Thunderous & Impressive
Fighting Style: Prefers holds and strikes that favor his massive left arm.

Bio: 238 was one of the poor souls in Chernobyl during the 1986 disaster. He survived, but his body was forever changed from exposure to radiation. 238's entire body became larger, especially his left arm which had more than doubled in size and caused him occasional moments of immense pain. Unable to find work, 238 turned to wrestling to support himself, despite his constant fear of his own strength.

Real: Nicolai Karnov has never been to Chernobyl and, in fact, wasn't even born until two years after the incident. A former bodybuilder, Nicolai worked the Russian Wrestling Federation before receiving the offer to join up with TWW. Deciding to reinvent himself, Nicolai began to favor his left side in workouts and adopt the "238" moniker. A surprisingly jovial person, Nicolai's real worry is that his "backstory" could be seen as offensive and constantly donates to cancer research to dissuade his occasional pangs of guilt.

Gimmick: Monster

Role: Face

Stats:
Look 0, Power +2, Real -1, Work -1

Moves:
Finishing Move: When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean, gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they
make you work for it. Choose: they showcase your strength, and you both gain +1 Momentum, or they’re unwilling to
take your finisher and flee the ring, gain +1 Heat with them. On a botch, you still get the win, but choose whether you
lose -1 Audience or injure your opponent.
"Will You Look At that Size!": +1 Power (Max +3)
Not of This World: Pick or create a signature match stipulation. Whenever Creative books you in a match, you can choose to add that stipulation, even if the match already has one, and you start the match with +2 Momentum.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 30, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Name: Takeo Honda

Hails From: Osaka, Japan

Entrance: Classic & Impressive

Look: Honda has a medium muscular build- not quite a monster but imposing. He has dark hair in a bowl cut and wears red trunks with black trim. His face is a perpetual scowl.

Fighting Style: Works in a grounded style with a lot of strikes and some basic grapples. Tends to start slow and build as the match progresses.

Bio: Son of the great Kenoshiro Honda, Takeo was pushed to continue his family's legacy and trained in the cruelest dojos across the country. The cruel discipline and physical punishment doled out by his trainers beat out any trace of mercy or compassion from Honda's mind; he is now a pure machine, efficient and ruthless in the destruction of his opponents.

Real: Takeo was pushed by his father to take up the wrestling business, and with his family name and impressive physique he found it easy to get bookings. Japan Wrestling Continuum instantly began pushing him as the next big thing, with some success, but a few minor corruption scandals involving owner Hideo Gump Sr. forced the company to sell him to TWW. Honda is not sure he deserves what he's been given and is just a little insecure.

Gimmick: Golden Boy

Look 2, Power 0, Real -2, Work 0

Moves:

Finishing Move: When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6. On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean, gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they
make you work for it. Choose: they obviously allow you to get the win and gain +1 Heat with them; they push you,
you both gain +1 Momentum. On a botch, choose: an authority figure interferes and calls the match in your favor on
a technicality, losing you -1 Audience; or there was a last-minute change to the booking from backstage and your
opponent wins the match.

Dynasty Scion: Take +1 Look

Always Learning: When you work a match with someone you know is better than you, roll Work. On a 10+ pick two, 7-9 pick 1: Gain +1 Momentum, Gain +1 Heat With Them, earn their respect. On a botch, you make a rookie mistake and lose -1 Audience.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 30, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Stage Name: Mikaela Winters
Hails From: Gothenburg, Sweden

Entrance: Loud & Overblown
Fighting Style: Heavy focus on suplexes and throws, along with a combination of strong strikes.
Finishing Moves:
Cold Snap - Fisherman Buster
Winter's Bite - Cross Armbreaker

Bio:
(kayfabe) Mikaela grew up working class, the daughter of a part-time professional wrestler by the name of Marten Winters. While her father had to spend time being a steelworker, among other ways to pay the family bills, he spent his weekend nights throwing people around like a typical Euro hoss. Mikaela, from a young age, looked up to her father and wanted to be just like him in whatever way she could. She joined a pro wrestling gym at the young age of 16, where she mixed her father's height with a leaner, more athletic build. After five years of training, she managed to work her way to the top of the local North European indies, working a number of tournaments before being picked up by TICWW.

(shoot) Mikaela and her dad Martin both wanted her to make her own way, but there was enough local pressure to give her some sort of gimmick other than "girl who can throw down with the boys". The gimmick stuck, which frustrates Mikaela to no end. She's pretty much waiting for any opportunity to pick up something other than "daughter of a steelworker", even if it isn't for some exciting reason. Working with TICWW, however, is a big enough step forward that she's willing to make sacrifices.

Gimmick: Technician

Stats:
Look -2, Power +1, Real -1, Work +2

Moves:
FINISHING MOVE - When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. You gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: they counter and you have to slap a real submission hold on them, gain +2 Momentum; they no-sell your finish and you have to hit them with it again, gain +1 Heat with them. On a botch, pick one: it’s sloppy, lose -1 Audience and win the match; or you go overboard and really crank in a hold, you injure your opponent, and end the match in a no contest.

TECHNICAL EXPERT: +1 Work (Max +3)

SPORTSMANSHIP: When you shake hands with another wrestler, roll +Real. On a 10+, pick two, on a 7-9, pick one: you both gain +1 Momentum; you gain +1 Heat with each other; you get to pick who attacks who (or if nobody does). On a botch, they attack you before your hands touch (and they gain +2 Momentum).

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 12, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Posting interest! Working on an Anti-Hero, I think. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Reserving a spot for either an High-Flyer lucca or a Hardcore psycho.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 30, 2015

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Well I was Uhmming and Ahhing about running this myself but someone saved me the trouble it seems

Reserving a spot, I'm going to bring back the Jobbiest Jobber once more, from some really far out of the way place, like the Falkland Islands or something, or a Micronation.

EDIT:

Stage Name: Captain Sealander
Hails From: The Principality of Sealand

Entrance: Strangely Sympathetic

Fighting Style: Counter Submission Wrestler. Gilliam doesn't do elaborate finishing moves or high flying antics, and he isn't particular beefy either something that doesn't play well to big slamming moves. But he is agile and flexible, with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of submission holds, counters and other such things, that makes it extremely difficult to get him off you once he gets a good grip.

Bio: "Did you know Sealand is an actual nation with it's own currency and stamps and monarchy and other things? It really is! Okay maybe it's not the largest nation, or the wealthiest nation, or the anything nation really it's actually somewhat debatable if it actually is a nation with it being a man made sea fort and all. But we have a lot of sporting talent! To a rough estimate of 'a lot', we did place 11th in the Ultimate Frisbee one time, and FIFA has maybe recognized our national squad, and we have a roller derby team. And now, I have been royally appointed to be the national champion of Sealand on the biggest stage on earth, and even though I have yet to actually erm, win any matches I'm gonna stick at it for king and seafort! After all you only have to get lucky once and my country has it's support behind me 100%."

Real: For real though, I really, really wanted to be a wrestler ever since I was a lad, and maybe my nation isn't a real nation, maybe it's only by some very creative interpretation of the rules that I even got into this company as a representative of my country. I started out in some small promotions in England when our family moved there, I learned the ropes from some really good indie wrestlers and I must have made an impression on someone whilst I did it, because here I am now biggest stage in the world and the only wrestler in it who can unequivocally say I have the support of my entire country at my side. The fact that that said country's population totals maybe 50 people means that isn't really hard, but it gets a few chuckles. Who knows, maybe if I impress the right people I could break into the mid card and maybe even beyond! But first, I gotta do the dirty work, it's a tough job but someone has to do it. And I am if not anything else, good at my job.

Gimmick: Jobber

Stats:
Look -2, Power -1, Real +0, Work +2

Moves:

DO THE JOB: You are always booked to lose your matches. When your opponent pins you for the win, roll 2d6:
On a 10+, you make them look great. They gain +1 Audience.
On a 7-9, you do OK. Gain +1 Momentum or +1 Heat with them, your choice.
On a botch, you don’t sell it right. You both lose -1 Audience.
If your opponent is another player’s wrestler, roll for this when they make their Finishing Move.

CAREER WRESTLER: If you end an Episode with Audience +3 or higher, you can change to any other Gimmick, per the changing Gimmick rules.
If you end an Episode with Audience 0, you aren’t fied - instead, your Audience is reset to +1.

SYMPATHETIC: Roll +Work instead of +Audience when you make the WORK THE AUDIENCE Move.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 30, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

El Dragón Fuego ("Fuego" for short)

Hailing From: Mexico City, Mexico

Entrance: Fuego appears on top of the Jumbotron, and breathes a gout of fire into the air. He then flips down to the ramp as his entrance music plays, cheering along with and encouraging the crowd as he walks to the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ8D28gvkjc

Fighting Style: Luchadore. Lot of leaps off the ropes, turnbuckles, or his opponent.

Bio: Antonio grew up poor in Mexico City, but idolized the famous luchador El Santo, and watched all of his movies and recorded matches. His lifelong goal is to become as famous and inspirational as El Santo, and the best way to do that is to get the Planetary Greatbelt and/or the Transintercontinental Venerabelt, proving to the world that you can become the best athlete in the world through hard work and strong morals!

El Dragón Fuego stands for fair play, respect for your opponents, and strength of character!

FINISHER: The Dragon Bomber - Fuego does a launching backflip, kicking his opponent under the chin and flipping himself onto the top rope or turnbuckle. A quick play to the crowd, and Fuego flips back forward into a frog splash pin.

Stats: Look +2, Power -2, Real -1, Work +2
Role: Face.
Base Audience: +2

MOVES
FINISHING MOVE: When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. You gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: they counter and you have to resort to a roll-up, gain +1 Heat with them; or you execute another high spot, and gain +2 Momentum. On a botch, you still get the win, but pick one: it looks terrible and you lose -1 Audience; injure your opponent; injure yourself.

HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL: Whenever you attempt a highflying maneuver, and you roll a 10+ before spending Momentum, gain +1 Audience.

"LOOK AT THAT AMAZING ATHLETICISM!": +1 Work (Max +3)

TECHNICAL EXPERT: +1 Work

Advances: +1 Real

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 19, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Just checking - does everyone have to wrestle by default, or would a Heel Manager be welcome?

Lady Elanor Fitzroy, Countess Mountclair
(She has several titles, all of them bought but is really Elly Smith, although Fitzroy was her mother's maiden name).

Hailing From: Surrey, England
Entrance: O Fortuna
Fighting style: Cheating like crazy. She's far too aristocratic to do something as plebian as wrestling. (In reality she's a mic-specialist who is being taught to wrestle by the wrestlers on the crew, and is just about good enough to enable them to do the work)

Bio: (kayfabe): Lady Fitzroy's father is one of the investors in the company (how he got his money is subject to local rewrite - in America he's an investment banker, in Britain he's making money helping privatise the NHS - and if ever challenged on this she shrugs and just says "Daddy's a smart man. I don't know all the details"), and she's here by daddy's decree. Half a law unto herself, she's blue blooded, aristocratic, and a thoroughgoing bitch. She also plays favourites all over the place and flirts with the ref at exactly the wrong moment. If she's not getting booed when there's a mic in her hand it's rare. Unless she's trying to flatter. She's a scheming, condescending, devious bitch who takes a malicious and sadistic glee in denying crowd favourites their victories (and who the audience takes great pleasure in whenever someone takes revenge on her). If she has any virtues it's that anyone she decides to help (for whatever reason) gets some quite genuine and useful help.

(Shoot) Elly was a linguistics student at Loughborough and amateur standup comedienne when one of her friends decided to try wrestling. He was also incredibly nervous before his first match, and she agreed to first drive him then walk him out there as long as she didn't have to get nearer than ringside. He was meant to be a jobber (first match), but when handed the mic out of curiosity he froze like a deer in the headlights. So she took it off him and went off on a five minute rant about what a terrible little town full of inbred idiots this was - and did it well enough that she had the audience laughing at their own town (and then booing her twice as hard). There was a talent scout in the audience for TICWW who was intending to look at the top match on the card, but wasn't going to ignore that sort of talent. And then he found out she was fluent in twelve languages, including all the major ones of the Federation, and learning another three at the time. In reality she's very much working class (other than the bought titles) although is ending up in celebrity gossip mags. Mostly because she finds it hilarious.

Gimmick: Manager

Look 2
Power -1
Real 1
Work -2

MEAL TICKET: When you interfere on your client’s behalf to win them a match, roll 2d6.
On a 10+, you pull it off and they get the win. Choose whether you gain +1 Audience, or your client does.
On a 7-9 the ref notices your attempt, choose:
* your client uses your distraction to get the win, they gain +2 Momentum
* or you interfere but their opponent still wins, you gain +1 Heat with your client.
On a botch, choose:
* your effort is hilariously obvious, losing you -1 Audience (though your client still wins the match);
* Or the ref tosses you out of the match and DQs your client.
The results of this Move overrides Creative’s booking.

MOUTHPIECE: When you speak for your Client, they can roll on your stat instead of theirs for any Move they would normally make. (If your client is an NPW: Gain +1 Momentum whenever you speak for your client.)

LOYAL: When you take action in your client’s best interests, roll +look. On a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick one:
* gain +1 Momentum;
* overturn a decision made against your client;
* gain +1 Heat with your client;
* add a stipulation to your client’s upcoming match.
On a botch, you’re obviously faking it, lose -1 Heat with your client.

Edit: Due to the sexual politics and violence involved in wrestling, I'm considering the rewrites needed to make this character male even if the way I pictured her was initially female (and using Paris Hilton in the first version for a model). Thoughts?

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 1, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Using the "throw the X" rule may help keep that under control, but I'm not Creative.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Just checking - does everyone have to wrestle by default, or would a Heel Manager be welcome?
I won't lie to you, having a Manager would be a challenge, but it's definitely welcome!

quote:

Edit: Due to the sexual politics and violence involved in wrestling, I'm considering the rewrites needed to make this character male even if the way I pictured her was initially female (and using Paris Hilton in the first version for a model). Thoughts?
The decision to make TICWW a unisex promotion is still something I'm struggling with. In my heart, it is, but I'm just not sure whether all the implications are worth going into in this game. Are you worried about something specifically? I'm not knowledgeable enough to go into sexual politics in wrestling.

Input on this subject from the rest of you guys is appreciated.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Using the "throw the X" rule may help keep that under control, but I'm not Creative.
As this game's thematic variant of lines and veils, the "throw the X" rule is in play at all times! It can be called by any player, in any circumstance.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cyphoderus posted:

The decision to make TICWW a unisex promotion is still something I'm struggling with. In my heart, it is, but I'm just not sure whether all the implications are worth going into in this game. Are you worried about something specifically? I'm not knowledgeable enough to go into sexual politics in wrestling.

Input on this subject from the rest of you guys is appreciated.

Basically that Heel Managers are the most hated people in wrestling, in part because catharsis comes so rarely (the only current WWE persona that's reliably booed is the in-ring Stephanie McMahon - a heel manager/owner). Which means that when it does the audience is cheering for the one-sided beat down no matter who is fighting them (a fast way for a heel to turn face is have them attack a heel manager). A heel manager will get into the ring occasionally - and when they do they have as much chance against even a jobber as a jobber has against a belt-holding monster heel; the trick is getting them into the ring in the first place. Which means there will occasionally be kayfabe violence against her (and occasionally humiliation), it will be one sided, and the crowd will be cheering it. And with the way TICWW works and her gimmick, she's probably going to get her deserved (IC) commuppance in front of crowds where it ties in to real world politics, making her twice as hated as she's a symbol as much as she is a wrestler.

My backup submission if people are uncomfortable with things is also a heel manager - this time a male ex-investment banker (much the same background).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
We do have at least one female face who could convincingly fight the manager in a way that wouldn't come off creepy. Right now the WWE has managed to have Stephanie McMahon return to her role as heel without breaking USA's rule against man-on-woman violence (which may only apply to wrestling shows but it's there).

I dunno, personally I just really like the concept so I'd like her to stick around, but I'm willing to hear what everyone else thinks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I personally don't have a problem with a female heel manager. I think we can have characters "deal" with her in non-violent ways like upsetting her schemes or maneuvering her into a position where she screws herself over.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also I added a pic and entrance music for Fuego.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I personally don't have a problem with a female heel manager. I think we can have characters "deal" with her in non-violent ways like upsetting her schemes or maneuvering her into a position where she screws herself over.

Yeah, violence isn't the only way to deal with heel managers.

Also, it may be that I've watched enough Chikara matches to numb me to it, but the only problem I'd see is with excessive brutality and not with, say, shoving, throwing, etc. Chikara treats all the wrestlers equal and managers usually as story fodder more than anything.

As long as we don't go Full 90s with table spots and etc etc, I'm fine with just working around things.

Unrelated, but if you are uncomfortable with an intergender wrestling roster, my idea does shift pretty easy between genders.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Maxwell Lord posted:

We do have at least one female face who could convincingly fight the manager in a way that wouldn't come off creepy. Right now the WWE has managed to have Stephanie McMahon return to her role as heel without breaking USA's rule against man-on-woman violence (which may only apply to wrestling shows but it's there).

I dunno, personally I just really like the concept so I'd like her to stick around, but I'm willing to hear what everyone else thinks.

Honestly, punching a manager is the lowest form of manager storyline beat so no matter what gender they are we should just slam jam the client instead.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I'm honestly unfamiliar with a lot of the nuances of wrestling/wrestling politics so I'm mostly going to defer to other people here. I don't see a problem with having a heel manager lady, but I feel pretty sure that there's probably no way that having Samuel throw a punch at her would end well at all.

So if I were in that position I'd probably go and sabotage her client instead. Then I could break all the rules I want, I'm pretty sure, without running into bad implications.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Just out of interest, do we have some manner of IRC chat or other such meeting place?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Basically that Heel Managers are the most hated people in wrestling, in part because catharsis comes so rarely (the only current WWE persona that's reliably booed is the in-ring Stephanie McMahon - a heel manager/owner). Which means that when it does the audience is cheering for the one-sided beat down no matter who is fighting them (a fast way for a heel to turn face is have them attack a heel manager). A heel manager will get into the ring occasionally - and when they do they have as much chance against even a jobber as a jobber has against a belt-holding monster heel; the trick is getting them into the ring in the first place. Which means there will occasionally be kayfabe violence against her (and occasionally humiliation), it will be one sided, and the crowd will be cheering it. And with the way TICWW works and her gimmick, she's probably going to get her deserved (IC) commuppance in front of crowds where it ties in to real world politics, making her twice as hated as she's a symbol as much as she is a wrestler.

Gotcha.
I don't personally have a problem with a female in a hated villainous role, nor with well-choreographed intersex fights that don't involve excessive brutality (check this out: (check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tk44p0tLlg).

In this game, the nuances of how storylines develop and get resolved are up to the players. It seems to me you guys are all on the same page, and I have the same stance. With that in mind, I'm confident we can keep the things the way they are.

TheNabster posted:

Just out of interest, do we have some manner of IRC chat or other such meeting place?
I've never done an IRC channel, but I can look into it. I was thinking of a Roll20 session or something like it before the game starts, so we can do Heat questions and a group segment of Last Week, on Transintercontinental World Wrestling...

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Cyphoderus posted:

I've never done an IRC channel, but I can look into it. I was thinking of a Roll20 session or something like it before the game starts, so we can do Heat questions and a group segment of Last Week, on Transintercontinental World Wrestling...

Skype or Google Hangout might work since this is just a pbp thread anyway.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm not going to play because then I'd have to track down the rules, but I am /eagerly/ awaiting to see how this goes!

... I might give in and app later anyways.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, is this gonna be a PbP game or something else?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, is this gonna be a PbP game or something else?

Straight-up PbP, there's only a part of character creation that's a bit more back-and-forth and deserves a brief instant messaging session.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This weekend is going to be super busy for me, just as a heads up.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Hopefully it's not too late to put in an app here!

Stage name: Memnon

Hailing From: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Entrance: Deep and Catchy
Fighting style: Testa - an Eritrean/Ethiopian fighting style based on using his head. Literally. He headbutts people as often as possible. He uses kicks, punches, grapples, and other traditional moves, but they're all to setup headbutts. He's a talented dancer and knows how to put some flash into his moves but it is definitely a dangerous, fierce-looking style of combat.

Bio: Memnon is staunch man of the people who has trained as a warrior since the day he was born in the Ethiopian highlands. He speaks truth to power and wants to bring about an end to the corporate aristocracy and wealth disparity that plagues all nations of the world. He regularly feuds with management, insisting that Global Enterprises itself is part of the problem and demanding that they do more to help the disadvantaged. He is not above breaking the rules to prove his points and further his agenda, as long as the crowd is on his side. He truly is a heroic underdog and will stop at nothing to force his colleagues to heed his message.

Reality: A gregarious and friendly man backstage, Ruphael was lucky enough to have been raised in a fairly wealthy household in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital city. Educated in the best schools in the country, he studied abroad in England and America. He developed a taste for fighting in his university days, enjoying regular barroom brawls and finding that he had a particular talent for combat. He eventually joined TWW a few years ago, gaining a name for himself with his defiant fighting style and his fiery gimmick.

Gimmick: Anti-Hero
Starting Audience: +1

Look 0
Power -2
Real 1
Work 0

MOUTH OF THE PEOPLE: When you speak truth to power, roll +Audience.
* 10+, gain +1 Momentum and pick 2
* 7-9, pick 1: They shut the hell up right now; you get booked in a match with them; you gain +1 Heat with them.
* Botch: You get beat down by their cronies.

ANYTHING YOU NEED TO DO TO WIN: You can use both the Babyface and Heel Role Moves.

FINISHING MOVE: When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6. On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose whether you gain +1 Audience, or whether your opponent does. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Chose: you win clean, and you both gain +1 Momentum, or win via countout, disqualification or interference, and gain +1 Heat with your opponent. On a botch, choose: you lose -1 Audience (but get the win) or you’re screwed out of victory by an authority figure.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, we need some more heels in here.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Well, since someone apped an Anti-Hero, guess I'll go with this instead. :v: Time to get full-on WWF.

Name: Le Grande Mort
Hailing from: Marseille, France
Entrance: Dark & Emotional, plus pyrotechnics. Because wrestling.
Fighting style: High-flying, very dramatic to watch. Lots of displays of gymnastics and that kind of thing, backed up by solid technical work.

Bio: The son of a circus ringmaster, Mortimer was groomed from a young age in the art of the trapeze, the tightrope -- all of the most dangerous stunts a performer could do. But the others in the big top got jealous of his spotlight, and one day, while performing, there was an... "accident". The tightrope snapped, and so did Mortimer's neck. But that didn't stop him from getting his revenge -- first on his killers, and now on the world!!!

Real bio: Antoine really is the son of a circus ringmaster (though more Cirque du Solelil-style than anything), and he brings his theatrical background to the ring. He never liked that he hadn't really earned his reputation in the big top, and found professional wrestling to be an avenue that satisfied his need for dramatics and was still athletically challenging. His gymnastics background and flashy style quickly caught the notice of recruiters, and he found himself making more waves than he'd ever expected to on the wrestling circuit, and recently earned himself a spot on the TICWW roster. He'd probably call himself something of a method actor, and his brooding, angry ring persona sometimes accidentally bleeds into his backstage life.

Gimmick: Provocateur
Starting Audience: +2

Look +1, Power -2, Real 0, Work 0

Moves:

Mind Games
When you engage in bizarre, outlandish
or mysterious behavior to psych someone out, roll +Look.
On a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick 1: you gain control (of the
situation, or of the match); gain +1 Heat with them; they
gain +1 Heat with you; take +1 Momentum. On a botch,
it reads as silly, lose all Momentum.

"Strangely Captivating"
When you're the sole focus of a segment, roll +Look instead of +Real.

Finishing Move: Tightrope Moonsault
When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose whether your or your
opponent gains +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: you get the win through guile instead, gain
+1 Heat with them; or they help you play up your unique approach, and you each gain 1 Momentum. On a botch, you
still get the win, but pick one: it looks terrible, lose -1 Audience; or you mess up and injure your opponent.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 7, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This is a pretty great roster we have going here! I'll leave this open until tomorrow night for last applications and then we can start properly.

Meanwhile, I've been doing my research and watching some pro wrestling. It's ridiculous and amazing :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Make sure to watch plenty of Lucha Underground if you have access to it. Really awesome stuff.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Make sure to watch plenty of Lucha Underground if you have access to it. Really awesome stuff.

While I don't disagree with this (WATCH LUCHA UNDERGROUND), I'd say figure out what sort of wrestling you want this to be and run with that style of promotion. Then watch some of that example to get a good idea of what sort of stories work and what sort of stories don't work for that style of promotion.

You probably won't see a lucha storylines about down to earth, sensible things because that's not how things go. Lucha is go big or go home.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, I didn't necessarily mean "watch LU crib its style/ideas", I just meant watch LU because it is awesome and the bits I have managed to see are sone of the best wrestling entertainment I've seen (not that I'm a huge wrestling person).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The RPG.net WWE thread has just taken a detour into what works in wrestling, how the stortytelling works (and why people really don't like Cena). Probably not news to most of you - but I found it worth reading.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

thelazyblank posted:

(WATCH LUCHA UNDERGROUND)

Just want to chime in and say thanks for this. I watched a little bit of it late last night and it was greeeeat.

neonchameleon posted:

The RPG.net WWE thread has just taken a detour into what works in wrestling, how the stortytelling works (and why people really don't like Cena). Probably not news to most of you - but I found it worth reading.

Also thanks for this. I don't actually know a lot about wrestling (but right now I want to), so this kind of thing is really enlightening.

e: vvvThanks, I'll check that out later.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Takanago posted:

Also thanks for this. I don't actually know a lot about wrestling (but right now I want to), so this kind of thing is really enlightening.

If you want to go deeper, the Shawn Michaels/Hulk Hogan 2005 feud that the link mentions is one of my favourites despite being an utter disaster wrestling-wise. Here's the both backstage and front of house background to it. (For the record, HBK = Heart Break Kid - Shawn Michaels' nickname). His promo dressed as Hulk Hogan is pretty funny. His promo at Montreal in 2005 is a masterpiece of an in-ring heel Promo - just listen to the boos of the audience. (For a bit more background, the Montreal Screwjob is relevant - a screwjob: When creative openly schedules one side to win the match, but secretly tells the Ref and the other wrestler the other should; HBK had beaten the Canadian favourite Brett Hart), The match itself was ... a mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A lot of 90's wrestling drama makes a lot more sense when you realize that Hogan was both a GM and a GMPC.

e: especially during his WCW "nWo" days.

• Locked thread