Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

I noticed this when I woke up today. He isn't acting any differently (still cuddly as hell, still super active), and he still eats and drinks plenty, at least from what I've seen, but it definitely looks inflamed. Indoor-only cat, five years old, male. He's got a brother (also indoor-only) that he roughhouses with periodically, but historically they've both known when to back off. Did they just get a bit too rough, or is this something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Probably either herpes, acne, or allergies (or one of the first two triggered by the third). To tell the difference, you'll need to go to a vet. Most treatments are cheap and mostly involve altering the food/water dish material or some cheap medication.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I've never had a CAT with them, but those look like human mouth-herpies//canker sores.

:ohdear: man, imagining that spreading through water and food dishes...can it do that? Can cats transfer them to people, or vice versa? I'm really honestly curious, now.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
No, cats can't get human herpes and humans can't get cat herpes.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Any chance of fleas ? I would watch it for 24-48 hours. If it looks like it's healing then it's probably nothing. If it gets worse, call vet. If you notice him fussing with it, call the vet. If it stays the same, call the vet.

btw, don't put neosporin on it. Apparently a lot of cats are mildly allergic to that. I learned that the hard way for a small tooth scrape on a cat from another cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
No fleas, I haven't found a single one on him, his brother, or anything else. It does look like it's healing already, actually; it's more pink than red now and the edges are yellow and brown which does make me think that he and Burger really did just go at it a bit too rough.

I'll definitely keep keeping an eye on it, though, both now and when it looks healed. If it comes back at some point (or, as you say, gets worse or doesn't keep getting better), then it's off to the vet.

• Locked thread