Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Might I recommend reading the comments for this article on Fox Nation?

Did Imgur change it's website format or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm dying to know what "the black experiment" is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, but according to the article, Cotton and Rubio's little stunt appears to be screwing up the GOP's efforts to get their Iran bill passed in the Senate, which I'm perfectly okay with. :toot:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

Did Imgur change it's website format or something?

It's weird how racist imgur is, right?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If I had to pick one thing he's managed of prominence fairly recently, it would be his 2010 economy speech, which sometimes gets called his 2010 filibuster.

Which is also available in book form. Note that buying it isn't a backdoor to supporting Sanders' candidacy though, as Sanders generously has granted "all authorial proceeds of [the] book... to charitable, non-profit organizations in the state of Vermont—mostly relating to the needs of children."

A Winner is Jew posted:

SCOTUS might strike down Obamacare since they're probably going to make gay marriage a thing.

And they're definitely striking down independent commissions for redistricting.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What exactly is the black experiment? Tuskegee?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's common for people think of Tuskegee Airmen when they hear of Tuskegee Experiment.

Airmen turned out fine!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

You know, white people inventing black people, which the Bilderburg Illuminati has covered up. That's why they're called the Dark Ages.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vahakyla posted:

It's common for people think of Tuskegee Airmen when they hear of Tuskegee Experiment.

Airmen turned out fine!

And they even made 1 good movie about them! (Not Red Tails)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Vahakyla posted:

Airmen turned out fine!

I thought the Tuskegee Experiment was to create genetically superior super pilots and Laurence Fishburne.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

zoux posted:

You know, white people inventing black people, which the Bilderburg Illuminati has covered up. That's why they're called the Dark Ages.

Tch... What did you think blacksmiths made? :smug:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

And they even made 1 good movie about them! (Not Red Tails)

George Lucas 100% gets black people.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Zelder posted:

It's weird how racist imgur is, right?

I get the sense that the average poster/commenter tends to be the whitest man on Earth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Tch... What did you think blacksmiths made? :smug:

My god this goes all the way to the top...

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

I think ridgewolf is onto something. If we hadn't imported all those blacks to pick our cotton then this never would have happened!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mauser posted:

I get the sense that the average poster/commenter tends to be the whitest man on Earth.

I unno if it's racism but it is very shallow thinking, and I imagine that given how young the average community member is and how ignorant kids can be I just think there is a lack of context under consideration when people post some of that garbage.

Either that or the average Imgurian is a closeted racist/sexist douche.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Reading his plea deal (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/david-wildstein-plea-agreement-documents) I don't see a requirement he testify against others - is that usually included in the deal itself?

edit: well, maybe he is anyway:

quote:

Wildstein's lawyer, Alan Zegas, said outside the courtroom today that “evidence exists” that Christie “knew of the lane closures as they occurred." “There is a lot more that will come out,” he said. “Unfortunately, I am not in a position to talk about the matter in detail.”

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hcreight posted:

So are black people, men mostly

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

DemeaninDemon posted:

From my extensive knowledge of racists, I believe it's "Can we take a jungle dwelling man and teach him civilization?" Basically extra gross white man's burden.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

A Man With A Plan posted:

From my extensive knowledge of racists, I believe it's "Can we take a jungle dwelling man and teach him civilization?" Basically extra gross white man's burden.

I thought it was "Can the black man survive as an independent people, or do they need a kindly white owner to care for and guide them?"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'll crosspost myself:

quote:

Wow, State Attorney Mosby comes from a loooooooong line of police officers. Mother, father, grandfather, uncles, aunt, most of her friends too, are all police officers.

Her grandfather founded the Massachusetts union of black patrolmen.

So it's pretty funny hear now how she doesn't understand cops or law enforcement.

Also for anyone in this thread, we got the Police and Baltimore thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
This is pretty well timed:

Obama administration says to provide $20 million for police body cameras

quote:

(Reuters) - The Obama administration will provide $20 million in grants to local police departments to help buy body cameras for officers, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

The grants represent the first portion to be approved by Congress of a $75 million, three-year body camera funding program requested in December by President Barack Obama.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do conservatives just imagine Al Sharpton is some kind of violent instigator, or do they actually read/hear things he says and interpret that as a call to arms? He's always brought up as the worst racebaiter for saying that we should look into the deaths of black people who are killed for questionable reasons, while also saying we should avoid violent protests.

Fun fact: I told my conservative mother that she brings up Al Sharpton like he's some kind of boogeyman, and her response was "He IS a boogeyman!"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tender Bender posted:

Do conservatives just imagine Al Sharpton is some kind of violent instigator, or do they actually read/hear things he says and interpret that as a call to arms? He's always brought up as the worst racebaiter for saying that we should look into the deaths of black people who are killed for questionable reasons, while also saying we should avoid violent protests.

Fun fact: I told my conservative mother that she brings up Al Sharpton like he's some kind of boogeyman, and her response was "He IS a boogeyman!"

From my experience they view him more as a race profiteer than an instigator

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

Here's what most Americans think of when somebody mentions Sharpton:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTTfXR9kF4

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hrm yeah the problem with police departments that can buy experimental equipment and weapons more advanced than those of many countries' military special forces is definitely that they just can't afford cameras.

I'm sorry, this country is still a joke and a mockery of justice and will be until every police officer is required to wear a camera at all times on pain of felony charges

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 1, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Hrm yeah the problem with police departments that can buy experimental equipment and weapons more advanced than those of many countries' military special forces is defibitely that they just can't afford cameras.

I'm sorry, this country is still a joke and a mockery of justice and will be until every police officer is required to wear a camera at all times on pain of a felony charges

Police Departments do not pay a dime for their fancy military poo poo and most american police departments are under severe financial duress due to taxes not keeping up. Hth.
Regular maintenance of vehicles, staffing, training and all of those are in retardedly rough conditions in many places.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The problem is going to be getting them to actually wear those things. I know some departments like in Ferguson had them but didn't issue them out to officers or whatever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

every cop should have a camera implemented into their eye (at least one).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem is going to be getting them to actually wear those things. I know some departments like in Ferguson had them but didn't issue them out to officers or whatever.
I'm sure after a few more disasters that make them the lightning rod of hate for the whole world, they'll change. A few more people will have to be maimed or die first though.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

SCOTUS might strike down Obamacare since they're probably going to make gay marriage a thing.

I honestly doubt that's going to happen, since Kennedy thinks that it's a federalism issue to punish states for not setting up their own exchanges. Aside from gay rights opinions there is nothing more that Kennedy likes writing more than "FEDERALISMMM" (the DOMA decision was also a federalist decision)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hahaha satanists are the greatest trolls in America :allears:

"Satanists challenge abortion restrictions posted:

The Satanic Temple, a faith community that ascribes to seven central tenets that track closely with humanism, is seeking a religious exemption from Missouri’s 72-hour abortion waiting period on the grounds that the law violates their sincerely held beliefs about bodily autonomy.

The St. Louis chapter of the Satanic Temple says they were recently contacted by a Satanist woman, whom they identify only as “Mary,” who is struggling to navigate Missouri’s harsh abortion laws as she attempts to end a pregnancy. She lives hundreds of miles away from the state’s only abortion clinic, and she doesn’t have the means to make the trip twice in order to comply with the state’s mandatory counseling and 72-hour waiting requirements. So her religious leaders are stepping in on her behalf.

Satanic Temple leaders set up a crowdfunding site to raise money to help Mary cover the expenses associated with her abortion procedure. And they’re also arguing that, based on their community’s religious tenets — which stipulate that “one’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone” and “we should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs” — Mary should be able to get a faith-based exemption to the state’s 72-hour waiting period.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

hcreight posted:

13th-15th Amendments.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, proper standards and practices need to be in place to go with the hardware or it's useless. They should be on pretty much any time the officer is on duty and interacting with the public and the officers shouldn't have any ability to edit or delete stuff after the fact. Then you need to find a way to make the videos reasonably accessible without violating the privacy or dignity of innocent bystanders or victims, maybe via a review board comprised of different community leaders.

If you can get all that in place you'll have hard documentation of most police/citizen interactions which would go a hell of a long way towards establishing what really happened in a case like Furguson.

I can't find the article (someone help me out here) but some city established a pretty good camera program and saw complaints against the police drop by around 80%.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

PDP-1 posted:

Yeah, proper standards and practices need to be in place to go with the hardware or it's useless. They should be on pretty much any time the officer is on duty and interacting with the public and the officers shouldn't have any ability to edit or delete stuff after the fact. Then you need to find a way to make the videos reasonably accessible without violating the privacy or dignity of innocent bystanders or victims, maybe via a review board comprised of different community leaders.

If you can get all that in place you'll have hard documentation of most police/citizen interactions which would go a hell of a long way towards establishing what really happened in a case like Furguson.

I can't find the article (someone help me out here) but some city established a pretty good camera program and saw complaints against the police drop by around 80%.

That complaint picture meme whatever is Richmond, CA.

It's important to remember that the complaints do not drop just because all murdering cops stopped raping, but that cops pointing out that they have a camera also drops a lot of baseless allegations away.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tender Bender posted:

Sharpton has enough skeletons in his closet that he's a really easy target for conservatives to use to dismiss any protest or complaint. They can ignore the hundreds or thousands of people and focus on the one guy who everyone will accept as sleazy and say he's really just riling everyone up so no need to listen to them.

My mother hates Sharpton but she consistently comments to me how she takes his side against the silly way the conservative media paints him as this all powerful demigod who controls the actions of all black people in America.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

STAC Goat posted:

Sharpton has enough skeletons in his closet that he's a really easy target for conservatives to use to dismiss any protest or complaint. They can ignore the hundreds or thousands of people and focus on the one guy who everyone will accept as sleazy and say he's really just riling everyone up so no need to listen to them.

My mother hates Sharpton but she consistently comments to me how she takes his side against the silly way the conservative media paints him as this all powerful demigod who controls the actions of all black people in America.

He doesn't?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Pandora's Box of faith-based exceptions is wide open, to the point that I'm not entirely sure how they could overlook this legal challenge. What can they do, say at the Church of Satan isn't a "real religion"? It's registered like all the others.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Freep started using the phrase black privilege if anyone's curious. Sort of the other side of the white man's burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Funding page got pulled already :(

• Locked thread