Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Theres nobody alive whod call Whitewillow Remedial School a good place to be. It used to be a standard, if somewhat dull inner city school in Detroit, but as the city decayed and funding dried up, it was abandoned, repurposed, and now stands as a remedial school of last resort, for kids who for one reason or another are considered too disruptive for usual schools.

The staff arent fussy about who gets sent in - shoplifters, drug abusers, kids who have lost their way; they get paid either way. More than a few of its alumni are just children whose parents disapprove; homosexuals sent to get scared straight, for instance.

In any case, its a school of last resort. The teachers are apathetic at best, and adult bullies at worst; the facilities are run down and decrepit, and everyone is assumed to be on their worst behaviour; after all, why would any good person be in a place like this? Hell, why would any person at all want to be in a place like this? It's for scum, lost souls, and monsters.

Funnily enough, you fit neatly into the third category.

What Is This:

This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus youre a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. Its pretty easy to pick up if youve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you havent, so dont feel worried about joining up as a newbie.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once youve posted this, Ill ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for six applicants, but may take as many as eight if there are too many good apps to miss out on. Feel free to make your description as long or short (within reason) as you want, but if your description is really long, youll probably get less questions because your character doesnt need to be filled out.

Submissions will probably be open for a week, closing at 10 AM MST, Friday 8th of May, but I reserve the right to close application early if there are a whole bunch of submissions (say, twice as many as I have spots for, which let's be honest, is pretty much always the case for MH games :p) - people who have expressed interest at that point but not yet submitted a character will be given 12 hours after that point to make a character submission. So even if you don't have a character ready yet, just post something like 'hey I'm interested, will edit later' and I'll give you a PM to let you know if/when the deadline's been shortened.

When making a character, keep in mind the setting and tone; if you want to make a squeaky clean, straight-laced, straight-A student, thats fine, but they should probably have a good reason as to why theyre being sent to a shithole like Whitewillow. When it comes to Skins, the standard and Second Skins are all acceptable (though youd have to be really convincing to get a Heir in), as are the Angel, Hollow, Anansi, Serpentine and Shadow. Anything else, including goonmade skins, please run by me first. If you want to make a Chosen, please make it someone who wont go after the other players at the drop of a hat.

In addition to the usual stuff in your app, give me:
1. A teacher at Whitewillow who you know a little about.
2. A place with a reputation.
3. A rumour going around.
4. Optionally, a title for the game thread, because I am boring and bad at titles.

I wont require reference pictures, but they'd definitely help me remember your character.

General Considerations:
Please be active! Try to post at least once every other day - I cant guarantee the thread will always move that quickly, but if someone is habitually slow and holding things up, I may very well replace them for someone quicker! If you have RL stuff, thats cool, and obviously takes priority, but if possible, please let me know in advance so I can try and work the game around it.

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (teen sexuality, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. Its important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic.

If you need to get a hold of me, you can contact me in this thread or PM me. Im also frequently online in #Swampthings on Synirc.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Infernal Incoming.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 1, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Working on a Werewolf character.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Name: Jessamine Lilith Vanderwal (just Jess really - Jessamine is such loving pretentious bullshit)
Skin: The Neighbor
Look: femme, averted eyes
Origin: divorce kid

Music!:Looking Glass by The Birthday Massacre

This. Sucks.

No, seriously, what did I ever do to deserve this? Like, did I make it a habit to kill puppies in a past life or something?

So get this - my father, William Vanderwal The Second (very important that that's all capitalized or whatever), he's rich. Works as a government contractor for...something he won't say. To me, anyway. Unfortunately he's also kind of really absolutely no doubt an rear end in a top hat. And he took that out on my mother, Lily. Which (eventually) lead to Lily taking me and moving out - away from Seattle to loving Pennsylvania of all places. To a public school!

Look, I'm not proud of it but I cut myself, ok? Maybe a few times. What a loving cliche I am, right? It wasn't like, serious, or anything, I was just bored. And didn't really have any friends there, or, ugh. It was just whatever.

But my mother freaked! Completely freaked! Sent me to a loving mental hospital. And then, when I got out, she shipped me off to Detroit, because I am apparently worthless and just super unlovable. To my uncle Vernal Jiminez's apartment. Yeah, an apartment. Like, barely two bedroom, the bathroom's basically a closet, and the kitchen and the living room are THE SAME ROOM! Laundry is downstairs and it costs money to do, and don't even think about a car. Just...awful. Like, hello Lily, if you think I was depressed before, duh!

Oh and to top it all off, just to complete my "Jess Vanderwal - this is your lovely life!" downward spiral - Uncle Vern enrolled me at this remedial school, apparently with Mom's blessing - because I "need some structure" and this whole thing is apparently my "last chance". Now neither Lily nor my father will answer the phone and I'm stuck in this shithole, Whitewillow's Remedial School for Terminal loving Losers, with a bunch of psychopaths and criminals and who knows what else.

FML.

...What? No, my hair colors aren't natural. What are you, high?

quote:

Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1

Moves

Last One Picked
When someone special overlooks you, choose:
- publicize it and give them a Condition,
- let them see you crying and take a String on them.

Mixed Messages
When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
- If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
- If you're not, tell them all the things they've got going for them (to let them down easy) and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

Self-Deprecating
When you talk poo poo about yourself to someone, they choose:
- argue and give you a String,
- let it slide and shut you down.
If it's an NPC, MC chooses: they argue and give you a String, or they mock you and the MC makes a hard move.

Catch of the Day
Whenever you dont understand whats going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you scream out someone's name during sex, gain a String on them.

Darkest Self
You feel... you feel like a monster. What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn't supernatural, but you're gonna take it right to the line. You become that Darkest Self.

Backstory
You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face. Choose:
- you watch them through the blinds and they've noticed, each gain 1 String on one another;
- you leave your blinds up while you change, each gain 2 Strings on one another.

You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you.

Strings:

So, I like drama (har har har, wise asses). I meant theatre. So I figured if I was stuck here, I'd get to know the drama teacher and see if there were any plays or anything coming up or whatever. Except the drama teacher, Sandra Downs, is a loving skank. The first time I went to her room, her door was locked and there was giggling through the door, what ended up being her voice and some guy's. And the second time she had total sex hair and was trying to fix her makeup the whole conversation. Gross, there's probably fleas all over the loving building anyway - not exactly my first pick of a place to get busy. Whatever though, I still told her I'd be up for whatever play she's going to lamely try to put on. It would, at the very least, be a distraction.

Speaking of fleas, there's this path behind the school, leading to a park or something, with rusted out playground equipment and what looks like used to be an old flowerbed. Apparently it got abandoned, more or less, because people kept finding dead animals buried in the flowerbed. Pigeons and rats mostly I guess, but apparently someone's cat ended up in there. Maybe it's worth checking out, at least for getting away from, ugh, the people around here.

Did you hear about that car wreck a few weeks back? The head on-collision between those two boys? Word is, it wasn't quite an accident. The surviving boy, Jamie, he apparently had some beef with the dead boy Shawn. Not that he's made it back to school yet, at least I don't think, but it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to hearing about his own murderous tendencies.

4. Optionally, a title for the game thread, because I am boring and bad at titles.
Been Rolling Both Highlights, Living in a Monster's Paradise

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 22, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

We don't deserve this poo poo. Nobody here does. The teachers? Power-tripping culeros. Making up for their tiny dicks and dried-up sex lives by making GBS threads on us. Not like that's anything new. If you don't have the baro, you're always getting shitted on from somewhere.

But in this prison they pretend is a school? That stops. Right now.

See, me and my vatos? We don't put up with anyone giving us a hard time. How do you think we got in here in the first place, man? It wasn't by licking my old principal's balls, that's for drat sure. Respect is earned. These assholes who think they'll get it because they've got a degree and a paycheck? They're about to get a major loving wake-up call.

You can't trust authority unless you make your own. So that's where I come in. I'm gonna take over this place. I'm gonna scare the poo poo out of anyone who tries to cross me and mine. Anyone.

So c'mon. Pick a side, ese -- we're at war. And if you wanna go against me? Well... you better hope the saints are listening, 'cause there will be no one else on earth who'll be able to save you.

quote:

Carlita Gutierrez, The Queen
Domineering; brooding eyes
The most dangerous person around

Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile 0, Dark -1

Queen Moves

The Clique
Youre at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang.
~ theyre armed (with guns and real dangerous stuff)

The Shield
When youre surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self
Theyve failed you. This is all their fault, and theres no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Backstory
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

Carlita's Vatos

This pendejo is Isaac Knight, and it's his fault we got our asses landed here. How much of a dumbass do you have to be to drive your car to school with a gun in it?! It's bullshit his car was searched to begin with. We all know they were just looking for a way to throw us out. Knight's had my back since we met in freshman year. He's the only person I've ever met who gets it. And he's smart enough to let me have the authority. He's usually what I'd call the brains of this group. I don't know how I'd get by without him, so of course I'm not too mad.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to give him poo poo about this for the rest of our natural lives, though.

This perrucha is Kaycee Matthews, and if you'd told me in the past we'd end up on the same side I'd have laughed in your loving face. We used to be rivals in everything. I couldn't stand the sight of this girl getting into at least as much poo poo as I did, but coming out smelling like roses because she's cute and white and her father's an Army vet. But whatever goodwill she had didn't live through her coming out -- in the most dramatic way possible -- in the cafeteria. So I took her in. I got a weakness for trouble-makers. Once I got over myself, it turned out we have a lot of poo poo in common. (Plus her dad has guns. Always a bonus, hey?)

Her obsession with making everything a big loving deal is sometimes handy. And sometimes frustrating.

This pretty boy is Aarn Medina. He's my ex, but he got dragged into this poo poo along with the other two, so I am stuck with him. He's the charming one. The one who lets the men in charge feel safe when I let him speak for us, since he's a professional liar. I don't know where he learned to turn his latino charm on and off like a lightswitch, but it's impressive to watch him in action. He's not totally useless in a fight, either.

I'd be glad to have him around if I didn't know he still had feelings for me. At least he makes himself useful.

Yeah, I know. They're not exactly the scariest fuckin' cholos on the streets. But it's high school. We're just trying to survive, okay? You don't always get to choose the perfect ally. You work with what you've got. Besides, they're mine, and I'd trust any of them with my life.

...even Aarn, though he would not have been my first pick.

quote:

That cabron they call the gym teacher? Mr. Langdon? He's one of the worst this place has got. He's so loving juiced it's crazy, and he spews his 'roid rage all over us. Heard he's bitter about high school since he got kicked off the football team as a kid for failing a drug test. He's here since he couldn't hack it anywhere better. Poor man.

quote:

There's this abandoned storage shed in back the school, hey? Left over from better times, I guess. Someone smashed the padlock and now people are using it to hide poo poo in -- poo poo they wouldn't wanna get caught with. There's like an unspoken communist agreement about the place, since no one wants to 'fess up what poo poo is theirs. You can take whatever you want, but don't leave your poo poo in there and expect it to stay, either.

quote:

Heard the school's got funding problems (no fuckin' poo poo, ese), so they're talking about shutting down some of the few classes that don't actually suck, and most the after-school poo poo too. Fuckin' great. It's not like anyone running this place gives a poo poo about us. As long as they still have a paycheck to take home, they'll take away whatever tiny luxuries we have to keep gettin' it.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 2, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gonna ghoul it up.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Wyrm 4 lyfe

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Shadow it is.

Kelly Gordon

Transcript of Interview Session one.

<Begin Transcript>
<Male Voice>So why do you think you're here Kelly? Can I call you Kelly?
<indistinct muttering>
<Male Voice> Sorry I didn't catch that.
<Female Voice> Because my lame rear end foster parents dragged me here and you can call me whatever you like.
<Male Voice>So could you tell me why you've been so unhappy lately in your own words.
<Female Voice> No.
<Male Voice> This will go a lot quicker if you cooperate.
<Female Voice> Fine, then whatever Doc, Of course I'm loving unhappy, I saw my parents my real parents die in a car crash. The same crash nearly killed my sister as well. I was in hospital for weeks. That's enough to make anyone unhappy.
<Male Voice> I thought your entire family died there's no record of your sisters treatment...
<Female Voice>How can you say that! she's right here, you should apologise to her
<Male Voice>Okaay.
<A pause>
<Male Voice>So tell me about your sister.
<Female Voice>We've always been really close. She's like always been my best friend when I didn't have many friends. Even though she was a few years older than me. I thought I'd lost her forever after the crash. But she came back. Said she couldn't leave me all alone and she'd look after me forever.
<sound of scratching as someone makes notes.>
<Male Voice> Kelly, there's no one else here. Your sister isn't alive anymore.
<Female Voice> You take that back!
<Male Voice> Just take some of these and they'll make you feel a lot better.
<Female Voice> You're trying to separate us, she warned me you were going to. I won't let you take her away from me again.
<Male Voice>Kelly please, please put down the knife.
<Raspy Female voice> Kelly's not here
<Recording interrupted by the sound of struggle and someone screaming.>
</End Transcript>

quote:

Name: Kelly Gordon
Look: Suspicious, Dark eyes
Shadow's Name: Big Sis
Shadow's Voice: A raspy voice
Skin: The Shadow
Origin: Only Survivor

Stats:

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Darkest Self:

Youve let what was outside in, and it
isnt interested in leaving. You have a
ringside seat for the darkness parading
around in your skin, and it doesnt like
all the friends and foes youve made. It
needs to hurt and punish to distance
itself from all those connections, and it
isnt afraid to cross as many lines as it
takes to do it. While you are your
Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even
if youve never selected the move. You
can escape your Darkest Self when
someone recognizes you arent behind
the wheel, or when all your strings are
gone.

Sex Move:

When youre intimate with
someone, give them the Shadowed
condition. If they already have it,
mark experience and give them
the Drained condition instead. If
they already have that as well,
they take 1 harm.

Moves:

The Passenger

Your Shadow takes note of anyone
with their fingers in your clay. Anytime
someone gains a string on you, give
them the condition Shadowed. When
you gaze into the abyss, its your Shadow
who answers.

Mine!

When you lash out physically against
someone who has a string on you, roll
Dark instead of Volatile.

Misdirection

Whenever someone attributes your
actions or those of your Shadow to an
innocent party, the accuser marks
experience and you gain a string on
them.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

Someone is the first real friend youve made.
Each of you take a string on
the other. This does not give them the
Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something
you did and they know it. They take a
string on you. This does not give them
the Shadowed condition.

Mr Grey the biology teacher is always at least half cut when he's teaching. Guy totally stinks of cheap whiskey and well he's a pretty mean drunk. I'm pretty sure he was thrown out of a better school for having a booze problem and now takes it out on the kids.

Did you know this place has a Janitor? Yeah it was news to me too. I don't think he does any work but there's an old guy living in a shack on the grounds, who's always stumping around the school doing something. I snuck into his little hut when he was out and the place was weird. For starters unlike the rest of the school it was actually spotlessly clean I could eat my dinner off his floor. Why would a guy like that keep his own little hut clean and leave the rest of the school in the state it's in.

Supposedly a couple of kids were dragged off for therapy the other week. I dunno where they went but since they came back they've been acting real weird and creepy. They don't say a word unless you talk to them first and they work like mad. Which is even more unnerving in a school full of gently caress ups like this.

It's bad but Monsterhearts: I was a Teenwolf Tearaway

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 2, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Alex, the Cuckoo

They say I've got identity issues. I'd tell them a lot of adopted kids have identity issues, but maybe I've got a few more than most.

The hell, man. You wouldn't wanna be me either. Growing up with your parents looking at you like a cigarette burn on the new carpet and poo poo. I had to find the adoption papers while I was checking their drawers for a little extra allowance when I was nine - they weren't even going to tell me. Don't get me wrong - they didn't hit me or anything, so I got it better than some folks here, I guess. Besides, that would require that they acknowledge my existence for more than the five seconds it told to tell me that I'm going to this shithole filled with actual criminals, and psychos and poo poo. At least that's what I hear.

See, I kind of have this thing for impersonation. People don't appreciate their own lives, so what's it to them if I step in for a little bit - soak up a few rays of the spotlight they clearly don't want? Well, the cops that Lisa Tavares' boyfriend called on me after I slipped up on the whole costume thing thought differently. She wasn't using her room or her parents' wine anyway, and brushed him off to go shopping with her friends. Everyone was supposed to be happy, drat it!

Whose life is possibly worth borrowing here? I guess I'll have to make the best of what's around.

quote:

Character Name: Alex Mason
Look: Eclectic Look, Vibrant Eyes
Origin: Left in a Basket
Skin: The Cuckoo

Hot +2, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]Feathers
Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll
with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below.
On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
> the magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
> the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.

While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. This won't let you avoid physical Conditions, though.

[+]Shredding the Looking Glass
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp.
You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
> tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
> or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

[+]Close to the Sun
When someone suspects that you're not who you appear to be, mark experience.

Sex Move:
Once you've had sex with someone, add 1 to your rolls for passing as them.
(List them here, and also add +1's to your outfit list.)

Darkest Self:
Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. It's time for you, the understudy, to take that place in the spotlight; you portray them so much better than they do. It's time to take them out of the picture, using whatever means necessary. Replace them.

You escape your Darkest Self when something they do surprises you, or someone shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Backstory:
You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under "Outfits," and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why.
Record it under "Outfits," and you each get a String on one another.

Strings:

Advances:

Outfits:

Teacher: Lawrence Oakes, Art
A real "sensitive artist" hipster type that thinks he can change the world by making thugs and schizos paint trees. He's holding onto something bad, though - this group of guys gave him poo poo (throwing stuff when his back was turned, that kind of thing) last year, and he broke a ruler on one of their desks and screamed.

Place w/ Rep: Tandy Commerce Court
A real old-school dirt mall. So, I'm not sure what the money situations going to be, but apparently if you've got it, and you want to buy something that isn't drugs, you go here. Hell, you could probably get those too, but they're not in the aging, vandalized directory at the front. Doubles as a place to eat, if pizza that's been under the warmer for days is your thing.

Rumor: Where's the Money?
So this place apparently gets some kind of government grant because of the kinds of students it takes. If this sounds like the whole, problematic "prisons for profit" thing, you'd be right. Especially the part where the building stays decrepit and the teachers are bargain bin quality, with no spending in sight. Who's keeping the cash?

Thread Title Suggestion:

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 2, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WIP

Alex Phane, Ghost of the 90's

Theme Song: Creep by Scala & Kolacny Brothers

I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after Kurt Cobain died. It wasn't just that; I mean, it would be pretty dumb to kill yourself just to be a copycat to a musician, even if he was the greatest musician who ever lived. I guess the first thing was when they opened up my locker in gym and found my notebook where I wrote down song lyrics, and the jocks all took turns reading them out loud and laughing. And then my mother found my diary, and the stuff... the sex stuff I had written about other girls, and couldn't really deal with it. So she sent me to the Whitewillow Remedial School, where they fix kids who... aren't normal. And that was almost okay, because I met Janey there, and she wasn't normal either. And together, when no one was looking, we could be abnormal and not care. But other people did care, and their caring hurt. And then Kurt killed himself, and if he wasn't strong enough to stand up to stand up to the world... well, who was I?

So Janey and I made this pact. Her father collected guns, and we each got one, and went to my house when my parents were gone, and we made things up real nice, dressed all fancy and with music playing, and we... and we... Well, it's not really suicide if you do it that way, is it? Not if you don't point the gun at yourself. Only, I couldn't. But Janey... could. Did.

I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after Kurt Cobain died. It wasn't just that; I mean, it would be pretty dumb to--

Sorry. Sorry. I get stuck in a loop sometimes, and if I don't concentrate really hard, I keep doing the same things, over and over. And I guess I did that for a long time, because I don't really remember dying, or what happened to Janey, but the next thing I do remember is being in an old, abandoned house. Just completely empty; even the electricity was off. But it was my house. I found some belongings in the basement, but they weren't mine, or even my parents. They were some boxes of clothes and pictures, of a different family. I guess the house changed hands several times. I guess nobody wanted to live in a haunted house. I guess... I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after Kurt Cobain died.

Sorry. It's been twenty years since he died. Since I died. I didn't believe it at first, but I found a newspaper, and the president was a black guy. So I guess it really is the future. I lived in the abandoned house for a while -- well, not lived, but you know what I mean. That got boring real fast. I figured out pretty quickly that I can only stay somewhere if it contains a tie to my life, like my house, or the school. If I spend too long away from one of those places, I feel this push to go back. It's kind of painful. So I started staying at the school, at night. It's actually been pretty easy: I don't sleep, and don't eat. I don't need to worry about locked doors. I know it's wrong, but I stole some clothes so that I'd have more than one outfit. And then I stole some other stuff, because I don't have any money, and you need more stuff than you think.

I go to the school, now. I just showed up in class one day at the start of the term, to see what happened, and when the teacher asked if there was anyone there whose name wasn't on the roll, I raised my hand, and she accepted it. It was disturbingly easy to just pretend to be a student, like something in the school itself was covering for me. I know it sounds strange to attend a remedial school when you aren't being forced to, but I don't have anything else to do. Everyone I remember is old now, and everyone I meet is new and scary and different. But I have to become different too, otherwise I'll keep stuttering forever. And that's worse than dying.

quote:

Alex Phane, ghost.

Look: meek, unnerving eyes
Origin: Confused death

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves:

Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition.
On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
*You gain the delusional condition,
*You cant speak during this scene,
*You suffer one harm,
*You start re-enacting the scene of your death

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one anothers characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate
objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

A teacher at Whitewillow who you know a little about.

So, Whitewillow doesn't have a guidance counselor, I guess because they don't think any of the students are going to have careers? But it does have a social worker, on loan from Our Blessed Lady of Peace. Ms. Godby is real young, like right out of college maybe, and she... tries. She gets really depressed a lot. She has a bottle of rum in the bottom drawer of her desk. Also some Vallium. In the middle desk drawer, she keeps a loaded revolver.

A place with a reputation.

There's an old church that abuts onto the end of school property, and the back of the church that touches us is a little bitty graveyard. If you climb the chain link fence that separates the school from the church, you can get back there. Sometimes kids go back there to do drugs, but not as much as you'd think. It's pretty creepy.

It's a lot worse at night. They come out, sometimes.

A rumour going around.

There's a rumor that there's a secret passageway in the sub-basement connecting the school to some old WW2 era tunnels udnerneath the city. Like the Manhattan project, or something. And there is a tunnel! But, for some reason, I can't walk through the door.

Optionally, a title for the game thread, because I am boring and bad at titles.: RemedialHearts: "I'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby"

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 10, 2015

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Paige 'Saint' Williams

When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of the monster under my bed.

Of course, Detroit itself is a monster. A dying relic of an old age soon to be long forgotten. But it's not the monster that kills you. No, the real monsters are in the city. The monsters of legend. Werewolves and vampires, all of them are out there. Are us. They look like us until they get us alone, and then they kill us.

But not all of them wish to be this way. Some help, some are caring people who didn't ask to be the way they were. Others still have lost their way and just have to be brought back to the right way of thinking.

It's so hard though, trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. My parents left a long time ago and never came back. I've been on the street since then, learning to defend myself and survive. It made me rough and tough, but I'm not stupid. Any high school degree will put me in a position to maybe make something of myself. I won't give up, so gently caress it, I keep going.

I'm not afraid of the monster under my bed anymore. It's afraid of me.

code:
NAME: Paige 'Saint' Williams
SKIN: Chosen
ORIGIN: Doing what's necessary
LOOK: strong, radiant eyes

Stats
Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Darkest Self
None of your friends can help. Theyre 
not strong like you are. You need 
to chase down the biggest threat 
imaginable, immediately and alone. 
Any challenges or dangers that you 
encounter must be faced head on, 
even if they might kill you. You escape 
your Darkest Self when someone 
comes to your rescue or you wake up 
in the hospital, whichever comes first.

Mercy
When you decide to spare someone 
you have reason to kill, take a String 
on them.

Come Prepared
You have an outlandishly large armory, 
complete with ancient artifacts. Just in 
case the need arises.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-NHHmUO0k

Name: Nathan Walsh
Skin: The Angel
Look: distant, wounded eyes
Origin: forgotten

I came here to help these kids. What mission could be more righteous and holy? For a time, maybe I even managed to. Everything from helping someone with their homework, to helping them stand up to a dangerous bully, I was there for that. I helped people talk things out, and I threw down with them when I had to. But for every person I'd send off with a chance at a brighter future, three more would be sent to this school to take her place. Then, one of them died. After all the time I spent tutoring and sticking up for them, they died in a car accident before they could even graduate. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it was the last straw. What the hell is even the point of saving someone from a life of crime and poverty if they're just going to die a year later anyway?

I cursed the name of the Lord, and I've never been the same. Drugs, sex, lashing out. Nothing could fill the hole inside me left by the absence of God's voice. I've lost track of how long it has been since then.

I want out, but now I'm trapped. The faculty thinks I'm just as lowly and fallen as the rest of the students. The divine alterations to my permanent records remain in place. Why has the lord not changed them? I could simply stop coming here, I suppose, but that holy ember still burns ever so faintly. I want to help. I have to help. Even if it means burning in sin and damnation, I will help.

Stats:
Hot: 0
Cold: 0

Trespass: 0
Forgiveness: 0

Moves:
--Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead.
Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone elses will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lords permission, move the marker toward Trespass.
If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

--Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add
1 harm to any harm dealt.

--Halo

When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance
yourself from the lord, to establish
autonomy and independence. In doing
so, you've unwittingly stumbled into
the service of another power greater
than yourself. You will carry out their
will as if it were your own. Whenever
possible, you'll convince yourself that
you're doing this of your own volition.
You escape your Darkest Self when
you realize who's been tempting you
down this dark path, and beg others
to save you.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded
of your purpose here on earth. Lose
one of your Skin moves and gain a
different one.

--Backstory
The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Mr. Reed supplies prescription drugs to some of the students, just "trying to make ends meet" with his lovely salary. I know because I've bought some from him. I am not an addict, but sometimes the edge of being here gets too sharp. Time was, I would have tried to get him fired or arrested. Now, selling drugs is probably the least crime I've seen around here.

Almost no one goes to the roof of this building. They say it feels wrong, or like someone is watching them, or it's haunted. There definitely is something up there, but it's worse than a ghost. Much worse. I know because I hear its voice whispering to me in my dreams.

I've heard that a group of students are plotting to kill one of the teachers. I knew these kids were dangerous, but murderers? On the other hand, I have heard this from multiple sources. I have to check it out before something truly vile takes place.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 3, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

You know what the worst feeling in the world is? Being under someone else's thumb. I should know. Back when I was still living with my dad, I'd lay awake at night wondering if he drank enough to just come home and fall asleep or if I was going to wake up with a fist in my face. That ain't no way to live. So, few months ago, I nutted up and ran away. Ain't seen him since.

So you know what? Unlike the rest of the assholes in this school, I'm actually glad I'm here. Sure beats where I was before, which was stealing and pawning poo poo so I could get enough money to keep from starving on the streets. At least here I get a big meal every day, and people have to pretend to get along.

But, this place is still poo poo. Plenty of people that remind me of my dad. I've learned a lot since I was the scared kid huddled in my bed. No, this time I'm going to end up on top, and everyone else is just going to loving suck it up.

quote:

Alister, the Wyrm

Look: Sharp, unblinking eyes
Origin: Enamored with Objects

Bargaining Ceremony
When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain.
This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves.
When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.
Alister prefers to bargain by smoking with the person he's bargaining with.

The Bait
You have a collection of stolen wealth, such as jewelry and electronics.
When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy.
They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours.
Also, choose one:
--they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them.
--the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Jealous Coils
When anyone gets close to someone you covet and you act territorial, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, they lose a String on your coveted, and you gain a String on your coveted.
On a 7-9, gain a String on your coveted, and your coveted chooses:
--they give you a Condition,
--you say something you'll regret.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy:
--Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection.
--Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well.
--Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like.
--Give me a String on you, and then give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague.
You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it you do.
You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Mrs Jennings, the math teacher of all people, has some pretty bad gambling debts. She's working two jobs right now, pulling shifts somewhere during her normal off periods and ending classes early to get to them. So, none of the students have ratted her out yet. She's gotta know it's only a matter of time before she gets caught, though. Wonder what she'd do for a way out...

CASH4JUNK is where I go to pawn things that aren't worth holding onto. The guy in back doesn't show himself, as he smartly prefers to do his work behind a one way piece of bulletproof glass. His deep voice can be heard well throughout the store, though. And he's a real hardass when it comes to bargains.

I've even heard some weirdos say you can sell things for other than money there. Like years of your life and that kinda freaky poo poo. Obviously bullshit, but the place IS creepy.

A rumour going around.
There's an election coming up, and it's looking like this "tough on crime" rear end in a top hat is going to win. Odds are he's going to make the streets even worse by flooding them with police just looking for an excuse.

Optionally, a title for the game thread, because I am boring and bad at titles.
Save the Last Slayer

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 3, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tucker Clayton, Werewolf

You know, for all the bad rep it gets in movies and books and stuff, being a werewolf isn't usually too bad. I mean I can smell and hear far better then most people, I don't turn into a giant wolf unless I want to (usually), and did you know the moon has some really interesting things to say? That's kind of how I found out in the first place. Well, it's more of how my mom realized I was becoming one.

When you're a little kid, telling your parents the moon talked to you can come off as amusing, but since it's my mom's side of the family that this werewolf thing comes from she knew what was up. Later, she took me aside and told me that a long time ago, some ancestors of hers had done something for the moon and it gave them a gift...of sorts. So yeah you get these cool abilities but there's also this issue of getting angry real easy. It's kind of something I've had to deal with. And when people know how easy it is to rile you up, they like to do so as much as possible.

Another thing about werewolves - we're still vulnerable to the same things regular people are. I don't know if silver has any added effect - I can handle it just fine but I haven't tried, like, stabbing myself with it or anything crazy like that. Anyway, I bring this up because eventually my mom wound up dying of cancer. It was hard on my dad and me, but I now have to deal with trying to go through this whole werewolf thing on my own. Well, I suppose there's the Moon, but it isn't the same as talking to an actual person. In school, I kept getting into fights, despite trying to control myself.

Eventually it got pretty bad, and my dad was pretty angry. We got into an argument, we started yelling, I lost my temper...and then lost control and turned right in front of him. I was still aware the whole time, but I wanted him to stop telling me what to do, to shut up and listen. Thankfully when he saw what was happening he was too frightened to continue and hid himself. I wound up destroying a ton of things in the house and then running off.

We've barely spoken about it, or anything else for the matter, ever since. When I finally got expelled, there was only Whitewillow left to sign me up for. We...well, we can't really afford anything else. I guess it's my last chance. Maybe I can turn my life around.

I doubt it though.

quote:

Look: Wiry, wolf eyes

Origin: Favoured by the moon

Stats: Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0

Moves:

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of
a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC
three questions. If you act on one of the MCs answers,
add 1 to your first roll. On a 7-9, ask one:
}} Wheres my best escape route or way in?
}} Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
}} Whats their secret weakness?
}} What poses the biggest threat to me?
}} Whos in control here?

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Your Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

Youve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Mr. Langenberg is the English teacher. Well, he's supposed to be teaching but often he's absent or clearly has a hangover and just assigns reading (which he doesn't really care if you do or not). That and the fact that he's willing to get booze for students makes him a bit more popular then he normally would be.

So there's this surprisingly nice flower shop near the school. As far as I can tell (and from what I've heard) it doesn't seem to get much business. So most people think it's just a front or something. I went in once and the lady at the counter was pretty nice...but I felt incredibly on edge and I could smell what I'm pretty sure was blood. I made an excuse about not seeing anything that interested me and left.

At the abandoned amusement park, some of the attractions are still up. One of those is a typical House of Mirrors, but people say if you go in at night and look at the right mirrors you can see more then your reflection. What exactly it is varies - I've heard you can see the past, inhuman things, your true self, the future...almost anything apparently. I haven't gone there myself yet.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 2, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
George "Fuse" Fuse II

Theme Song, can I be cool now?

I swear to god you call me rich kid one more loving time and I will pound your loving face in. Listen rear end in a top hat, you don't know me and I don't need this poo poo. Yeah my family's got money, so what? You think my life isn't hard? That 'cause I live in that McMansion up on the hill that I don't know what it's like? gently caress you! All that cash and prominence? It comes with it's own pressures, it's own expectations, and it sure as gently caress ain't doing me any favors since I still found my rear end here same as you. You couldn't deal with the loving pressure I deal with, rear end in a top hat. When your dad is one of the foremost cardiologists in the nation and your mom's an accomplished plastic surgeon you know what they expect? Perfection. They want me to be a good Asian boy and get straight loving A's and go to band practice then go into medicine. Well I don't wanna be a loving doctor! I don't want their lovely life!

It all started after our family took that camping trip to Barcelona, shut up, we rented a cabin out in Serra de Collserola Natural Park and I'd gotten in another argument with dad. I go for a walk, I just needed some time to clear my head. I didn't even need a flashlight the full moon was out. The tour guide said they hadn't seen wolves out here in years, but I saw her. She was huge and she was on me in a flash. I don't know how I survived it, they say I fell and tore myself on a cliff but I know it was a wolf. I remember her. I needed, like, twenty loving stitches. Now it's just like, I gotta run right? I wanna be outdoors. Maybe I can become a game warden or something, right? Spend more time in the wilderness. School ain't that important, so I started playing hooky. Skipping classes and just wandering the parks. I got some C's and a D next report card and my dad just flipped the gently caress out.

You know they did? They made me talk to a therapist. A loving therapist! "Oh you're going through some changes, but we know you're a good boy." Man, gently caress you bitch. You don't even know me! They tried medications, speaking of which you want some Xanax man? poo poo is good. They tried calling the police and putting me on house arrest. Finally dad got tired of it and sent me to this shithole. So don't come up to me talking about trust funds and silver spoons man. I'm not gonna live by their rules anymore.

quote:

Name: George "Fuse" Fuse II
Look: Feisty, predatory eyes
Skin: The Werewolf
Origin: Bitten

Stats:
Hot 1
Cold 0
Volatile 1
Dark -1

Darkest Self:
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave
power and dominance, and those are earned through
bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they
must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape
your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really
care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit
connection with them. Until either of you breaks that
spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1
to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that
connection has been broken.

Moves:
o Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

o Scent of Blood
Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in
this scene already.

What's her loving face, Professor Gainsborough? That bitch is a MILF to the eleventh degree, if you know what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure she's actually slept with a student too. I wonder what my chances are.

Everyone's talking about the local Episcopal Church, I go there for therapy. Place is nice and all, soothing. And it's on a nice wooded lot, so it's got that going for it.

3. A rumour[SIC] going around.
You shits looking to score some benzos or other prescription drugs? You know where to find me.

[b]4. Optionally, a title for the game thread, because I am boring and bad at titles.

The Kids Aren't Alright at All.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 3, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Liliana Olet Abella Nyx

So okay, first and foremost, we should like, get this off our chests. I'm a fairy. Like, really. You got that? And I'm not some little girl set out to be a changeling either; my parents didn't steal a human kid and replace me in her place. Nope, dear old Dad and Mom are actually members of the local Court. Well, technically Dad kinda runs it nowadays, because the Detroit Court kiiinda sucks. Like, no one wants to live here. Doesn't matter what kind of creature you are, human, fae, hell I even hear the vampires are starting to tire of it here - oh yeah there's totally vampires, my Dad's told me all about them. We stay clear of them mostly, and they stay clear of us.

Now that that's established, let me introduce myself! I'm Liliana Olet Abella Brianna Susanne Nyx. Yeah, you heard that right, my family's not exactly the nice kind of Fae, you know? Dad's big up in the Winter Court, that's why we have a name like Nyx. But like, don't judge me on that, I'm nothing like my father. See, Nyx? It just means of the night, and you know what I say to that? The night can be as colorful, as beautiful, as wondrous as any day. People who think the night is bad, that the night is boring or evil? Those people suck.

That's, uh, kinda why I ended up where I did. I'm not stupid, I mean okay, I don't do my homework, and I barely do the minimum in class, and I constantly get pulled to the office to put on more clothes, but like, that's just me being me. Life is to be enjoyed, not spent put up in your room all night wearing jeans and a parka, just because some stuffy adults want you to have as lovely a life as they do! So what if I partied six nights a week and came into class without sleeping between the parties? Like, when will I ever need to know half this poo poo anyways.

Mom's always saying I should try to fit in and make friends, and well, I have. I fit in great being myself and I'm not gonna let anyone force me to be someone else. So what if I need to go to a lovely remedial school, so what if it looks bad, so what if people judge me? I'm gonna be me, and anyone who wants me not to be? I don't care if they're the principal, the police chief, the president, or the queen of the Winter Court herself. Oh sure, I'll pretend to just be human, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend to be a boring one.

Like, that all established, I totally think I got kicked out of school for a stupid reason. See, I'm cute, really cute even, it's part of being a fairy you know? We're just better than most mortals. And like, so what if I flirted with the quarterback and we started making out in class? Well his girlfriend didn't agree, and after she totally hit me right then and there, I ended up being the one to blame! Something about how I clearly was provoking it, as it was the fifth time in a month that a girl'd hit me for absolutely no reason. Not my fault their boyfriends liked me more.

Oh, and yes, my hair color is natural.

quote:

Skin: Fae

Hot: +2
Cold: -1
Dark: +1

Looks: Girlish, mesmerizing eyes
Origin Fae Born

Moves

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:

they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;

add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;

they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
}} Mark experience,
}} Carry one forward,
}} Gain a String on them
On a 7-9, they choose one:
}} They lose all their conditions,
}} They gain a String on you.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

quote:

Mr. Bradshaw isn't all bad. He's on the younger end of teachers, just into his thirties I think, and he chose to come here specifically once he got his credentials. Unfortunately, he's been here for a few years, and all his spark over helping young minds is basically gone, stolen by my peers and seniors. Nowadays he just kinda goes through the motions, and doesn't even argue when we don't turn in assignments or the like.

quote:

Oh man, there's this warehouse that like, the owner of disappeared twenty years ago, so we like, have been using it for parties. And by we I mean the uh, awesome kids. But like, while we've never had any problems, there's some talk that the warehouse's owner died in it those twenty years back, and that it's haunted. I doubt it though.

quote:

Okay, this is just for your ears, but I hear that the school used to be bigger. You know how the parking lot is way too big for how many students the school can hold? Some of my connections in the Court talk about how like five years back, a teacher went crazy and gunned down a class of students. But like, no one reported it, the bodies just disappeared and the classes it was in disappeared and were paved over the next day. No one even remembers the teacher having existed though - and get this, there's no copies of the year book from the years that class would have existed for. Just three years of no records of them at all. It never was in the papers, and no families grieved. Just gone, and everyone forgot. Except a few of us always seem to pick up on it, and learn the rumor.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 17, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Katrina "Kat" Duran - The Ghoul

How did Katrina Duran, the daughter of the Mayor of Detroit, cheerleader, class president, top of her class, end up in Whitewillow Remedial School you ask? The simple answer is that she didn't. Katrina Duran, mayor's daughter, and Katrina "Kat" Duran, student at Whitewillow, are different enough to be entirely different people, the fact that the body she's in is the same is secondary.

A year ago, you might have found Katrina studying her homework, cuddling, or maybe more than cuddling, with her steady boyfriend of several years. Having a nice dinner with her family, watching a scary movie, practicing driving for her test. Normal, happy things. That was what made her life.

A year ago, you never would have found Kat down a dark alley in the middle of the night, facing two men with rusty knives who looks like they're high on every drug out there. Even if you had, you never would have seen her charge one like a bull, slamming her fist into his gut. When the other stabbed her in the gut, she never would have grabbed his hand and twisted the knife in deeper, laughing, and smashed her head into his face. And she certainly never would have proceeded to beat the two of them bloody with the knife still hanging in her, laughing the entire time, reveling in the thrill of the fight and the taste of their fear.

But if you knew where to look, you could find Kat doing just that tonight. Later, when she comes stumbling out of the alley bleeding from her wound, she might die, or she might not. But she'd be back on her feet the next morning either way. That is what makes her live.

Katrina Duran The Ghoul posted:

Name: Katrina "Kat" Duran
Look: striking, hollow eyes
Origin: resurrected

Hunger
Fear

Moves
The Hunger
You have a Hunger for Fear.

When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
~heal one harm;
~remove a Condition;
~mark experience;
~carry 1 forward.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Stats
Cold: 2

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure at least thirty or forty minutes.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add having sex with [this person] as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Mr. Fleischer, or, I should say "Dr." Fleischer as he insists on being called, is one of the science teachers, but man is he built like a truck. Muscles everywhere visible, and I think he's gotten into some trouble in his time, he has a scar on his face that goes across one eye, and one time when he was handing out papers I got a good look at his hand, and it is covered in scars. Some people say he has gang connections, or used to be a cop or something. But he's only like, mid-late thirties, when would he have had time for that AND being a doctor. Anyway, I don't think I'd be able to scare him easily, though there are a few other things I wouldn't mind doing with him too.

The old Slaughterhouse district was midway through the process of being renovated into office buildings, crappy chain fast food stores and overpriced undersized apartment buildings when the decline started. Now, it's a mix of unused buildings, empty apartments, graffitied fast food chains, uncompleted buildings and bloody warehouses. Which wouldn't be that interesting, if it wasn't also the district our school is built in. There might be even more alleys in it than there are roads, and its been the hangout spot for drug deals and homeless people too far gone for the shelters.

When they built the Detroit People Mover, they initially planned it to cover a larger area of the city, but they couldn't get the funding for the rest, so they just walled the tunnels off. There are still sealed entrances around the city, and in the more run down areas, people say you can find places where the ground collapsed leading into them, but no one ever comes back out. Some people say one of the entrances they locked up is inside the basement of the school.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 6, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question(s) 1:

Jess: Do your parents keep in touch, or have they abandoned you completely? Do you ever miss them? Do they try to keep you happy with gifts (probably more like bribes)?

Carlita: Who's crossed you before? What did you do them in response? How do they feel about you now, are they still a problem?

Kelly: Since your parents' deaths, what's the best thing your sister's done for you? Which cruel person has she protected you from?

Alex Mason: Why do your parents ignore you so much? Did you wish they paid more attention, or did you prefer being under the radar?

Alex Phane: What's the scariest thing about 'waking up' 20 years after you died? What do you miss the most from the '90s?

Paige: Why did your parents leave? Why were you left on the streets? Did you ever try to get into state care?

Nathan: You said that wasn't the worst thing you'd seen. What was? Why was it not enough to cause you to lose faith?

Tucker: Have you ever lost control like you did that one time with your dad? How do you cope with the anger, and trying to keep in control?

Fuse: Do you still live with your parents, or have they kicked you out? Do they act like they want you back, or are you cut off for good? Is your mother as angry with you as your father?

Liliana: What's the best thing about being a fairy, worth more to you than the normal life your mother asks you to fake? How disappointed is she in you? Do you care?

Kat: When did Katrina become Kat? What part of 'Katrina''s past does Kat dislike the most?

Sarah: What's the hardest thing RUL has ever commanded you to do? Did you succeed, or fail? What happened after?

Max: Whose life have you made better, by impersonating them? Did they ever find out you were responsible?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 3, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Liliana: What's the best thing about being a fairy, worth more to you than the normal life your mother asks you to fake? How disappointed is she in you? Do you care?

Okay, like, being a fairy is loving ama~zing. First of all I've got breasts that everyone thinks are fake, and a rockin' set of hips and a butt that gently caress, you'd think I wasn't white from the front, because we're fuckin' perfect like that. Literally all of us are attractive, majorly so, it's just how the magic works. But even better, you see, we fairies don't need to do a lot of things that you mortals do, so it's like, tons of time saved for having fun. Like, I don't need to sleep technically! I can, and it feels really good because it lets me take in all the good or bad feelings around me, which are sorta like how I eat? So it makes doing that really easy. But technically? I can stay up for ever and ever if I feel like it, and not be tired! So I can party all night and all day, and it's amazing and great and maaan. I still sleep a lot though. Don't need to eat either, which is cool, we Fae feed off like, the emotional energies of people around us. There's not a Summer Court in Detroit for a reason though, like, the two Courts feed really differently. Winter Court members like my father eat despair, lost hope, depression, broken wills, and all those negative things that are so common here, you know? Summer Court members feed off joy and creativity and all those nice things. Guess which one's all over Detroit~? Ding ding ding~ it ain't Summer.

Which uh, ties into the second part? I've been trying to feed like a Summer courtier! It's like, so much better tasting I think, and really, my parents can be as disappointed as they want to be in it. It's not that hard to eat really, there's lots of parties to go to where the emotional high is a great fill up, you know? Just more reason to party! Like I needed any~. Summer emotions are like, sweet, like honey and pancakes with syrup or candy. Winter ones are... heavier, I guess? I mean they taste kinda like a pot roast with a warm thick gravy over them. Oh yeah, I can eat normal food too. It tastes pretty good sometimes too, so I enjoy it~!

I, uh, sometimes still like to leech off Winter emotions though. And when I sleep I tend to eat those. But seriously, I'm trying at least!

As for the school, uh, yeah. They're sorta disappointed in me, because I'm losing my chance at getting to be important in life, but like, who cares? I don't wanna live a life as a pencil pusher anyways, no one does and it's even worse for people like us I think. It might just be a story, but I hear Fae can literally die of boredom, if we get too far gone. So like, oops, school was boring too bad for my parents! I don't really care too much what they think.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 10, 2015

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:
Nathan: You said that wasn't the worst thing you'd seen. What was? Why was it not enough to cause you to lose faith?
There are a lot of long years to draw the worst thing I've seen from. Some consider it a blessing that an angel's memory becomes so hazy when they switch bodies. If I limit myself to my time at Whitewillow, one case stands out.

There was this kid named Charlie. Smart as hell, with a strong work ethic and actual integrity. He could have risen to the top in the real world if the circumstances of his life had been different. But his father had left before he was born, and then his mother had overdosed on drugs. He went into the foster system and got angry. Real angry. He never hurt anybody, but he was constantly disrupting class with arguments and outbursts. His school sent him to Whitewillow.

I did my best for Charlie. Not just the usual of helping him out with studies and making friends either. I was his friend. I ate with him at lunch, I hung out with him outside of school, I helped him move his meager belongings whenever he got sent to a new foster home (which was frequently). But he just got angrier. One time, he pushed me too far with his doubt and melancholy, calling me a stuck-up meddler, a frontin' poser, a useless bitch, and a lot worse. I told him to leave me alone and not call until he was ready to apologize for his insults. That was how Charlie lost his only real friend, started using heroin himself, and started living on the streets. I was so caught up helping as many people as I could that I only found out about that months later, once he had stopped coming to class. I couldn't even stand to approach him. I was so full of shame. What could I even do for him now, anyway?

So why didn't this cause me to lose my faith? For one thing, I thoughtand thinkthat it was my fault, not God's. That, plus most of his present self-destruction was a result of his own choices, not random accident. Still, Charlie's fate was definitely a major milestone on my road to doubt.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:

Alex Phane: What's the scariest thing about 'waking up' 20 years after you died? What do you miss the most from the '90s?
So many things. Everything's so different. Just the different-ness can blow your mind, sometimes, even when it's in a good way. Like... when I was alive, I only barely knew the word for what me and Janey were, but now... there's marriage? Just thinking about that hurts so much, what we did, if we had known that things were going to change. And computers! There's a room full of computers at the school, and they're flat! And all the students act like they're so old and clunky and slow, but to me they're amazing. And there's so much on them! The internet is just... wow. Everything. I break into the computer lab at night to pass the time. It helps me fill in the blanks.

But I'm shut out of a lot of it, because I'm basically homeless. I don't have a credit card, or a job, or a driver's license, or any kind of ID, which you need to get a job. I have to take showers in the gym's shower room at night. I can steal stuff -- most people just don't notice me, not even when I'm talking to them, and you wouldn't believe how much stuff you can steal when you can walk through walls -- but that makes me feel bad, so I try not to. I've got a little room in the school, back behind the stacked gym mats, that I think everyone forgot about, so I keep my stuff back there. I stole some clothes, and some posters for the room, and an air-mattress to sit on, and a guitar, and this old CD player, so I'm alright, most of the time. A little lonely.

The music's the thing I guess I miss most. Well, Janey, but... I try not to think about her. Not my parents, definitely; I don't miss them. They cut me out of their life piece by piece before I died. But the music back then was so... amazing. Kurt was so great; it was like he was feeling all the emotion in the world, and pouring it out in words, and it made you hurt but not-hurt at the same time, like old people say Blues is supposed to do. Just listening to it made you feel connected to everyone else your own age. The music now is okay, some of it, but it's very plastic. Detached. Everything now is ironic and cynical. I miss... is genuine-nes a word? I miss that.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:

Kelly: Since your parents' deaths, what's the best thing your sister's done for you? Which cruel person has she protected you from

Well there's this guy.... Phil they call him. He looks like some sort of teenage hearthrob and knows it. I dunno exactly what he did to land in this school of fuckups and failures but for a body like that frankly he coulda murdered someone and it wouldn't bother me. Thing is I've never been that good at talking to boys. But Sis was.

So I begged her to help me. She was a bit reluctant but she went along with it. Anyway next time I had a chance I tried talking to him and Sis coached me on what to say. It worked great and well we actually got together. It was the happiest I've ever been since.... *sniffle* Sorry sometimes it still hits me when i'm not expecting it that they're really gone. It didn't last of course, these things never do and it was all Sis's fault. But that's a different story.

Still Sis really does look out for me. like what happened a few weeks ago.

See there's my "step-dad" Rob. That sleazy motherfucker. I swear him and his shrew of a wife only took me in for the fat stack of greenbacks the county gives him to look after me. I of course never see a penny of it.. But that's not the worst oh no. See it started innocent enough at first, running into him when I was getting out of the shower on a morning the odd lingering look on his part that went on a bit too long. I didn't think anything of it at the time then one day not so long ago. He barged in while I was taking a shower, said it was about time I started paying my "Rent" if you know what I mean. Well I didn't like that and neither did Sis. So she threatened to stab him with his own straight razor. I don't think he took us seriously till we took a swing at him. He was lucky we missed or he'd be singing in falsetto now. Still just to be on the safe side I only go "home" now to pick up a change of clothes and sleep. I sleep with that razor under my pillow and one eye open and I swear the next time he touches me I won't stop with his balls. Still without Sis to back me up I might have just took it. I mean a home's a home right?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:

Jess: Do your parents keep in touch, or have they abandoned you completely? Do you ever miss them? Do they try to keep you happy with gifts (probably more like bribe?)

So, dad will occasionally email me. I don't know if it's white rich rear end in a top hat guilt, or some sort of actual concern or something (doubt it), but it's abjectly banal textbook "hey sweetie" dad poo poo. No offer of like, getting me the gently caress out of Detroit or out of the worst school ever, either!

He does get me poo poo, though. Mostly just transfers into the bank, not enough for a car or anything, but enough for essentials - clothes, phone, laptop, music, Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime, shoes, makeup....

...uh, you get the idea. It's all saccharine garbage - nothing that matters. Nothing really real.

Lily talks to Vern. She hasn't deigned to call me directly or anything. Guess she's too good for me or whatever. Vern wants to play telephone with me and her, but gently caress that.

She, well, she tried to call me on my birthday. It was just like, a month ago or whatever. I didn't pick up the phone...bitch has blown me off enough times herself since she tossed me in Whitewillow to get rid of me, why shouldn't I give her a little payback?

As far as missing them goes...I mean I guess I miss Seattle. I miss my old friends and not being in this hosed up place. I do, ugh, gently caress you for demanding honesty, I wish my mother would talk to me. I wish she had called me back after I ignored her call. I wish my dad wasn't so loving checked out, or that he even thought to pick up the phone.

This blows. I hate this conversation.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 4, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sarah Smith, The Infernal

You know, there's an awful lot of kids here at Whitewillow that think they're irredeemable - that they alone, of everyone in the world, has hosed up so badly, committed such egregious sins, that they've already destined themselves for a life of crime and desperation. I mean, somebody has to end up as one of the Bad Guys of the world, right? They reason, why not me?

They're wrong, though. I'm the only one of us that's truly damned. Sold my soul and everything. The worst part is, it was worth it.

I mean, I'm only here because of Jake's DUI - at least that's what everyone thinks, anyways. And yeah, that part was pretty bad... I'd only had my car for a few months, didn't think I was all that impaired when Jake and I were leaving Jennifer's party... I don't remember what I was doing, but I wasn't watching the road; I didn't see the deer. Do remember a little what it was like to go flying out the windshield, the series of thuds and crunches and splats I heard... even if it ended up not being what happened, I still have nightmares about it.

About it not happening? I remember thinking you were supposed to feel calm when you died, but I didn't. Laying on the pavement, all I heard was moaning and my car's engine still running. If I could've screamed I would've, couldn't see, couldn't feel anything... I didn't want to die! It's weird, to have had time to think about it, to realize that I'd do ANYTHING to not have this be the end, not already! And, well, something heard me.

RUL, Claw of the Outer Dark

Everything stopped, and my eyes were open again, and before me was my savior - A horrible nightmare named RUL, older and far crueler than time. I could live, he said, for my soul and my servitude. Not terribly good terms, but even though I could see, I still couldn't speak. He hadn't fixed that - I could either take the deal, or die. I obviously took it.

Next thing I knew, I was back in the car, alive! Jake was driving, though, and I had my seatbelt on, same way Jake did. Which meant his wasn't on, since mine hadn't been. And the deer was still there, in the middle of the road, staring right at us with its red eyes! RUL hadn't fixed that. I tried to do something, but there wasn't... I had to watch Jake die, the way I'd been supposed to. At least I was able to scream that time, and I did.

The next couple days were a blur. The hospital, parents yelling, parents crying, friends and myself, Jake's parents... his funeral. The police, after. The principal and my parents, me packing my things... RUL didn't even speak to me again until it was time for us to decide what school I'd transfer to, given both the trauma and my misbehavior... RUL DEMANDED I tell them I'd like to go to Whitewillow. He had plans - I tried asking what, but he ordered me to be silent. So I told my parents Whitewillow it is.

I've been at Whitewillow for about a year now - at this demilitarized zone everyone's agreed to pretend is a school. It's better than where I could be, and far better than being dead, so I'm not too unhappy to be here. Even if I am RUL's, well servants probably get more say than I do, I don't quite HAVE to do everything he says... but I owe him my life, and he is SCARY when he's mad, and refusing him is the quickest way to anger him. And he gives me things, rewards me for fulfilling his plans. Awfully fun knowing a genie, even if the shackles are on me and not him.

Plus his requests can be pretty fun. Putting sugar in some dickhead classmate's Corvette's gas-tank? Lighting the shed on fire those three freshmen were trying to setup a grow-op in? Letting everyone know that Anna is having Mr. Thompson's newest abortion? I actually kinda admire RUL's style sometimes - when he isn't tormenting me anyways. Most of the kids here are assholes, and it's hilarious watching them freak out about some part of their life RUL wanted me to ruin.

What? I'm damned, remember. Being a bit of a dick is the least of my sins.

quote:

Name: Sarah Smith
Skin: The Infernal
Look: Tense, Calculating Eyes
Origin: Bartered Soul

Hot -1, Cold 0, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Power
RUL, the Tyrant - Offered Sarah a contract in fairly coercive circumstances. Seems to seek the ruination and subjugation of specific mortals for some sinister purpose.

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bargains
Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, youll get what youre after.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You cant get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and itll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

So the shop teacher, Mr. Stone, is actually pretty cool. Cool for this place, anyways. Does a good job of keeping everyone from killing each other with power tools, no small feat. There's a rumour going around that he'll do mods on your car - or basically whatever else - for super cheap. Supposedly just enjoys tinkering with electronics? Don't know if it's true or not, but he helped me rig up a timer and detonater once, didn't ask any questions.

The Vault - A lovely dive bar a block from Whitewillow, it's the type of place that should've had it's liquor license suspended for selling to minors but mysteriously never does. Look like you belong, don't have you voice crack while you're ordering, and pay your loving tab god help you, and you'll be fine. Serious about the tab thing - Jeremy used to love baseball, and then he didn't pay, and now his arms don't work so great anymore. Sucks for Jeremy.

Oh! This one's a good one. Supposedly, there's a secret room in the school - well, probably beneath it, but accounts differ - but yeah there's a room that houses the corpses of former students that have "transferred" or "gone missing." The number always varies, and I've actually heard people debate it when they're certain there are no administrators around. The real question isn't how many, though, at least not in my mind. It's why they'd hang onto them instead of just dissolving them in the first place...

Rauri fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 3, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I love you more than you do. I love each and every part of you.

Max Levine, The Cuckoo

You're beautiful, to me. Sure, everyone has some lovely bits, but there's good there too. You just can't see it. And I should know. You have problems in life, you need a break, Let me help you. You've got your wonderful beautiful parts, and I can let you get away from all the horrible things in life for a while. You just have to give me a little something. It's not even big. A teensy, tiny trifle. I can take on your responsibilities. I can help you, and you don't have to do a thing. The only one who'll have to deal with the consequences will be me- and I don't care. The beauty in your life, even the troubles- they're what I /live/ on. ... Sometimes it feels like I can't live as me. This helps me get away, I suppose. It's probably not healthy, but whatever. I can heal you, I can make all your problems go away. Don't worry about me.

Okay, maybe the things I do aren't always for quite altruistic reasons. It's /fun/ to be other people, you know? And sometimes I do mess stuff up... sometimes even on purpose. Look, I want to help people, right? But it's just so wonderful sneaking around, doing things I shouldn't do, and just messing up the smallest little thing, and watching it cascade down on them. You can't say you don't enjoy it, seeing other people's lives suck worse than your own, right? Or getting that weird happiness from messing stuff up? But that's not the real reason I do this stuff. I /like/ people. I love them! They're way better than I am, at least. And if I can help them, even the littlest bit, that feels nice. I can't always live up to it, but I have to try, you know? And besides- anything's better than living my drat hellhole of a life.

I'm probably the only drat person who /chose/ to come here, you know that? ... What, I'm not? poo poo, you're kidding me. Can I at least finish saying what I was going to? Cool. I came here because I didn't have anywhere else left. My mom and dad threw me out of the house after they found out about the whole... Er. ... I. God, this is going to sound stupid. Please, please don't tell anyone... I don't feel comfortable in my own skin, you've probably got that, but... I can't get dates. I've never had a relationship as /me./ It's always been someone else.

So I shifted into my mom and started dating another girl.

My dad thought my mom was cheating on him. I can't blame him, I really can't, but... I couldn't just admit it, not at the start. THings just got worse and worse, there were arguements, and dad threatened divorce, until I just had to break down and tell them what happened.

I... wasn't welcome back home.

I couldn't go back to my old school either, social services took me in, but... I had a part in it, you know? I couldn't just go back to school and face everyone knowing that. And I didn't have any way of going somewhere else- I don't have money, or many relatives that would take me in. So I picked here.
It's better than nothing.

quote:

Name: Max(ine) Levine
Looks: Sleek, Vibrant Eyes
Origin: Foster Kid
Stats:
Hot: 2

Moves:
Other Moves Your Backstory

 Feathers

Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with Hot.
On a 10, you're passing- you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup.
On a 7-9, as above, but choose one:
The magic will dissipate if you kiss someone or are kissed.
The magic will dissipate if you lash out at someone.

Shredding the Looking Glass:
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this: "If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:

Tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,

or, shake your head to clear it- it was nothing."

That Good:
While you're passing as someone, if anyone would gain a String on you, they instead gain it on the person you're passing as.

Sex Move: Once you've had sex with someone,

add 1 to your rolls for passing as them.

Darkest self: Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. It's time for you, the understudy, to take that place in the spotlight; you portray them so much better than they do. It's time to take them out of the picture, using whatever means necessary. Replace them. You escape your Darkest Self when something they do surprises you, or someone shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Ms. Bradford. No question about it- I know more about her than any of the others, because me and her have... a deal. She's tired of her house. Tired of her bitchy husband, tired of bills, tired of her kids- she needs to get away from it all,you know? So... I pretend to be her, sometimes. I let myself slip there, and deal with all her stuff- and it's still better than what I've got.

Plus, she gives me grades for it, so that helps.

The upstairs women's restroom. It's not there. People say it is, they've seen it, they've even gone into it, but I've went and gone and checked- there is no upstairs women's restroom. If you found it? I'd wager you'd be in a shitton of trouble. You might not even be /here/ anymore. And this school's hallways are confusing enough, I'd see how you'd lose it, but...
Look, if half the student body swears up and down that there's a women's restroom, and the other half says there isn't, something's up with it, right?
My pet theory is that there's two schools here. One on top of the other, and they overlap in a few bits, like the upstairs. Some of us go into one upstairs, and the rest into the other.

I hear there's a wealthy buyer looking to take the property and make this into some sort of private school. But... there's got to be something wrong with that, right? This is loving /detroit./ Who's going to make a fancy pants private school here? Not to mention, what are they going to do with us once it's here?

Nea fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Simon Michael Lector, the Vampire

One morning, when I woke from troubled dreams, I found himself transformed in my bed into a monstrous vermin.

I used to sleep, just like this. But some people have a reaction to bedbugs. Maybe their anesthetic doesn't work or something, or we're just that sensitive that we can feel them crawling on us, even the translucent nymphs, near invisible to the naked eye on account of their yet empty stomachs. The phantom sensation of their tiny legs on my skin would keep me awake all night, and if I did fall unconscious out of sheer exhaustion, I hunted them in my nightmares. Zooming in between the seams of my mattress, armed with my bug catching net. Filling it, then emptying the contents into a stock pot of boiling water, and listening to the screams. The following morning--still in the dream--they were my cereal. Succulent, sweet, with a hint of crunch. I woke up shivering, and went to school, distracting myself by taking the safest and most involved route.

The next night, I had the same dream, but more people shared my monstrous breakfast in the morning. My little sister and father dumped their own nets into the pot and ate with me. It was awkward, as it always is when we are all sat at the table, no one breaking the silence.

On the third night, someone did. The men of the family turned their heads to the little girl asking where was Mrs. Mommy. Our mother, the teacher. We looked past her, exchanging sad glances, prepared but not ready to explain to her again--and then the crockpot gurgled from the seat by dad, "here."

She always wanted grandkids. And for her skinny kid to eat well. I wonder if our new existence is some kind of dying wish she made with a monkey's paw. Whispering to vermin like ranchers to livestock we birthed by hand, letting them range far and wide, then gathering them by the light of the moon and milking them for breakfast. Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick again, but nothing will come of it. I've been fasting.

quote:

Name:
a biblical name (Simon: He (God) has heard; Michael: "who is like God?") a brooding name (Lector: reader, lesson teacher)

Look:
pale, pained eyes

Origin:
maker

Sex Move:
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self:
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever youre alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when youre put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Stats:
Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Vampire Moves:

Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one: } they realize you hypnotized them; } they gently caress up your commands; } their sanity is unhinged.

Invited
You cannot enter a home without being invited. Whenever someone invites you, take a String on them.

Marked for the Hunt
When you feed on someone, you establish a close bond with them. When you gaze into the abyss concerning their whereabouts or wellbeing, roll as if you had Dark 3.

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood. If this is the first time theyve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience. When you feed, choose two: } you heal 1 harm previously suffered, } you carry 1 forward, } they dont die.

Cold as Ice
When you successfully shut someone down (7 up), you may choose an extra option from the 7-9 list.

Your Backstory:
Youre beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Mrs. Harker, my mom. She kept her name, and lost her life. Something with her bone marrow... there were no students at the funeral but us.

The Detroit Free Press will hire basically anyone to deliver their papers, and heavily encourage you to earn tips from particular patrons, for instance, by helping them dispose of out-of-date editions that curiously gain or lose weight. I've been sneaking eggs into them, myself.

Don't show up to deliver tomorrow. Wonder why. Cops? Our rivals at The Detroit News? I know one of our cyclers got ripped off after being hit by a car the other day. Maybe he was carrying a schedule.

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Been Rolling Both Highlights, Living in a Monster's Paradise

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:
Fuse: Do you still live with your parents, or have they kicked you out? Do they act like they want you back, or are you cut off for good? Is your mother as angry with you as your father?

"drat it rear end in a top hat, just because my dad still covers my rent for the apartment he found for me in town and he still deposits 900 bucks (that's less than half my usual allowance) into my account every month and he and mom both just got me a new car for my birthday three months ago and I still have my driving privileges doesn't mean the man isn't a complete loving rear end in a top hat tyrant! I WANTED A loving JAGUAR AND THEY GOT ME A loving PORCHE! ARGH! Parental love is supposed to be loving unconditional man! Not all of this, "show up for class and get good grades or else" poo poo! This loving mandatory "Come up for dinner one Sunday every month!" loving... Goddamn it! All this is just a loving cage to control me, man! YOU DON'T loving UNDERSTAND! GET OFF MY loving BACK!

You know what? They gave me imitation crab last Sunday! Not real crab, loving imitation crab! And mom loving sent me a brochure for Medical School just this week (along with groceries she had delivered to me, IMITATION CRAB AGAIN! Bitch is doing it on purpose! Why's she always gotta loving push my loving buttons! This is so goddamn passive aggressive!) Listen shithead, they don't even loving understand me! They don't listen to me! YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE rear end in a top hat, DON'T loving JUDGE ME!"

OOC Translation: Fuse lives in a pretty nice apartment provided for him by his parents and Fuse's parents haven't given up on him. They still try to be supportive but they're dealing with his rebellion the same way most rich absent parents do, with "tough love" and "tightening the belt" and awkward reaching out. His dad is much more disapproving and stern while his mom is more sympathetic and just trying to keep peace in the house and keep the family together. The way Fuse sees it? His parents are completely out of touch and don't understand him. They're just being cruel and loving with him.

Pictured: Fuse's Car, soon to be vandalized and/or stolen.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 3, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:
Max: Whose life have you made better, by impersonating them? Did they ever find out you were responsible?

That's an easy one. Janice, Janice Palmer. She was a wonderful, wonderful girl. Not from a poo poo family like me. She definitely isn't the kind of person to end up in this place. But she still had some problems. Back at our old school ,she'd met a pretty fine lady, a girl by the name of Susan Landide. At first, they seemed to get on pretty well, talking, laughing, hanging out every day... but as time went on, things got.. worse. Janice came back with a black eye one day, and wouldn't say where she got it. They had a shouting match in front of the whole school, and Susan was calling Janice some pretty horrible things on Facebook the day after- Lambasting her, insult after insult.

But Janice just wouldn't leave. She liked Susan, but it was more than that- she was scared. Scared of how the woman might react, of how she'd retaliate, she didn't want to get hurt, and she sure as hell didn't want to break up with Susan herself. So I... figured out a plan. Janice didn't come to school one Tuesday, I adopted her form for a bit, went up to Susan in the lunch room, where everyone could see, and publicly broke up with her, for Janice. I mean, I did look pretty drat like Janice, if I do say so myself, so it was about as believable as you can get- and like I thought, Susan /flipped./ ... It... wasn't pleasant. She kinda beat the hell out of me before someone pulled her off. Sure, I was bruised as heck, but... she needed it. Janice, that is. gently caress Susan, she was always kinda a bitch.

She got expelled, and sent somewhere else, Janice's family filed a restraining order... and all was well, really.
... She didn't get sent /here,/ did she?

That'd kinda be rear end.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sarah: What's the hardest thing RUL has ever commanded you to do? Did you succeed, or fail? What happened after?

Hard, or difficult? Two very different answers.

As far as hard, that was when he made me write to my parents - to tell them I hate them, and that I never want to see them again. I don't though! They, I... I still wrote it, though. I had to; he made me. Somebody had found out about the fire I'd started... it was what he wanted to make that problem go away. Before I sent it, my parents were thinking about bringing me back to Providence, the letter sure put a stop to that - so RUL's minion stayed here, where he wants me.

Difficulty wise, that was probably the art class "prank". The one that caused Mr. Robbin to have that nervous breakdown? Yeah, RUL showed me a vision, all these squiggly lines on hundreds of pieces of paper, replacing the artwork he normally had displayed on his wall, and commanded me to make it happen. Whenever he interrupts what I'm doing with both a vision and a command, it means hop to, no questions allowed, so I got to work.

Know how long it took? Those squiggly lines weren't random - just because I don't know what they mean doesn't mean I wasn't drawing them right, RUL made sure of that. Took days to finish because I had to keep everything secret, which can be hard around here. Then I had to steal a key to his office, and get the original back onto his key ring before he noticed so he wouldn't get the lock replaced. Had to stick around after school, hideout until the teachers and janitors and late night drug dealers had all gone, then carefully replace every single piece of artwork. He had dozens, and RUL wanted everything precise. After that, scattered the rest of them on his desk and the floors just so.

Course in the vision everything was drawn with blood and I'd used ink. How in the Hell was I supposed to know? What do I look like, a vampire? I guess with RUL I should've assumed, but still - pulled everything off basically perfectly, and he was beyond furious at that minor detail! Mr. Robbin just went crazy, he didn't die, clearly my fault. Had nightmares of myself being devoured by wolves and ravens for a solid month after that fuckup, and isn't it curious that stray dog chased me inside and kept me there when I was supposed to meet up with Marcus. Thanks so much RUL.

I know you can hear me RUL, I'm sorry. Shouldn't have complained.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Kat: When did Katrina become Kat? What part of 'Katrina''s past does Kat dislike the most?

Easy. It was when I died.

You want me to explain that a bit? Fine. I suppose that wasn't really when it happened, it'd been happening before that. When I was younger, I was a little bitch. That is, I was really proud of who I was and parents. Well my mom. She was the Mayor, a good Mayor, at least I thought she was. God, it makes me sick thinking about how stupid I was, the signs were all there. She never had a lot of time for me growing up, but she always would make sure to let me know how happy and proud she was of me whenever I did well in school. Dad was my real parent, the one who actually cared, but it was always mom who I wanted. The most time I can remember spending together with her outside of the hospital, was in middle school when I placed second in the National Gymnastics Championship.

So I kept pushing myself harder, especially once I got to highschool. Top of the class freshman year, vice-captain of the cheer-squad. Didn't make Prom Queen obviously, because no freshman ever does, but it wouldn't have been a contest next year. But the harder I worked, the less I was enjoying it. Instead of doing it for myself, or even for my mother, I was doing it because that was what I did, and what people expected me to do. I was still proud, and happy when an achievement got me more time with mom, but it was less significant every time.

Finally, the news story leaked, you must have seen the headlines, "Detroit Mayor Caught in Scandalous Affair", the illusion broke, and I stopped mattering at all. There wasn't anything left that I enjoyed. I kept up the routine for a few weeks through sheer force of habit, but I couldn't take it for long. I wanted something to change, something different, do something that would make me feel alive again. I asked around on the internet a bit and got suggestions ranging from "kill u self" to going on an adventure, doing something new and exciting to get the spark back. Ultimately, I tried them both, but only the latter was intentional. On the drive to school one day with my boyfriend, I took a different turn, heading out of Detroit with him and my mom's credit card. I told him we'd go on an adventure, and when we got to the mostly empty interstate, I hit the gas and we drove off into the sunrise. And the guard rail. But it worked, just as I threw the wheel to the side, trying to avoid the fishtailing car ahead of us, and my boyfriend saw the rail coming right at us, he screamed, and right then. Right before it hit us. I was alive again. I was... Happy.

And then we died. I remember the guard rail piercing through my body, severing me, but when I woke up in the hospital, I was whole again. Stitched together. Mom and dad put managed to put together her betrayal to stay at my side until I was better, which took a lot less longer than anyone expected. The doctors said it was a miracle. Mom hardly ever stopped crying, but for the first time, I wished she'd leave me alone. When I got back to school, I stopped pretending to care about the old things, I didn't want or need mom's attention anymore, I'd almost died, so I was going to live for me. A few months of 'living for me' and mom packed me off to Whitewillow. As if anything I could do could damage her reputation more than she did on her own, the slut.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:

Tucker: Have you ever lost control like you did that one time with your dad? How do you cope with the anger, and trying to keep in control?

I assume you mean to the point of turning in a giant wolf? Thankfully not. But if you mean doing a lot of damage, well...I have hurt some people. Okay, a lot of people. I guess if you want a non-wolf example there's what happened at my previous school. So I was making some friends and trying to avoid any fights. But this one kid, Mort, kept taunting and provoking me. I didn't want to get in trouble so I ignored him. Didn't work. Eventually, at one point this girl I knew asked me to help out the theater group. Turns out Mort was part of it, and decided it would be fun to throw paint on me by "accident." I lost it, and wound up destroying the set and breaking his leg in the fight. The play was pretty much ruined and so were my chances at staying at that school.

As for keeping it under control? I'd like to know too. I mean, I try. And it's definitely part of the whole werewolf thing - my mom was pretty quick to get mad, but she was never violent or turned like I did. My dad still doesn't even know she was one, and I think I'll keep it that way. One time I asked Moon about it and it said "Yeah sorry kiddo, that's part of the effect it has on people. Don't know why." Kind of makes it a bit difficult for meds - even if we could afford it, I can't ask the doctor about side effects on werewolves. And using other drugs or booze is not a road I want to head down. Not that I mind getting drunk or high every now and then - just not all the time.

But if I'm going to get angry and hurt someone, I guess I don't mind so much when I hurt bad people. People like bullies, or their enablers, or criminals. I try not to physically hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it. And it's not like I'm constantly angry - just that it starts building up and up until eventually I have to let it out. And I'd rather punch someone then hold it in so much I turn into a wolf and kill them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seth Gahiji

There is nothing more pathetic then somebody who was once great who have been reduced to nothing trying to relieve the glory days. I have first hand experience with this joke with my family. They still go on about how much better it was under the bloody Pharaohs, they last Pharaoh fell over 2000 years ago so why on earth should I care about them? But no, my extended family has got it in their heads that what we need to do is somehow topple the old world order and reinstate a government that failed before the Middle East had even started to become caught up in a religious battle royale. Everything within me cries out about how insane this plan is, but every time I do something right, something that brings honor to the family I feel strangely happy, as though I am a part of something bigger. So now I am stuck dancing to a tune that I don't agree with on a conscious level, but within me I seem to agree with every ounce of my cold heart.

To achieve this my extended family has been scattered across the globe to practice our ability to manipulate, and to amass allies so when it is time to launch the Wrath of Ra (I cringe every time I hear the name). So I ended up with my Mom and Dad in Detroit, something about us being a stronger family or some other nonsense when it is much more likely my Grandmother got a kick out of the idea of sticking us in such a cold place. For most of my life up until I graduated Middle School my life was ago, I got encouraged to be more verbally cruel then most other children where but that's just how I was to be raised, then the news came that instead of going to one of the more decent schools in the area I would instead by going to the forsaken hellhole that is Whitewilow, a place so bad that the joke is that being send to juvie hall was actually getting of light compared to going to Whitewilllow.

So why did I end up in this school? My family used to have power and though are resources are diverted enough that my immediate family isn't particularly rich, surely they could have ensured I went to a better school then Whitewillow. But no, when I asked my father he said that no matter what I would have ended up at Whitewillow. Not because they wanted to toughen me up, but because they wanted me to use the drat school as a feeding ground, a place to practice my ability to deceive, to manipulate, and to consume. So imagine coming home from school and being asked about your day, but not about how classes are going, but have I found anybody who I can use, have I run across somebody who I want to slowly destroy until they have nothing left. I should feel disgusted by all this and I do, but some part of me enjoys the idea of seeing my classmates as pawns, and enjoys doing my family proud.

What makes this all worse is that if the school was just filled with scum, I would have no issue using it as my feeding ground, but their are just enough people there who are half decent that I feel guilty at the idea of causing everything to crumble. So now I am quite literally caught in the middle between what my clan (and my lineage as a snake) desires, verses what my human side desires.

pre:
Name: Seth Gahiji 
Skin: Serpentine 
Looks: Sleek, Cold Eyes
True Form: Tail, Undulating Limbs Without Joints
Origin: A Family With Unknown Origins 

Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: -1

Sex Move: 
When you have sex with someone,
they become a part of the Failing 
Dynasty (and subject to the moves 
mechanics).

Darkest Self:
You arent ever going to be the person 
that your family wants you to be. 
You cant live with their shame and 
insanity any longer. You need to 
escape your current identity, go into 
hiding, or run the gently caress away. You need 
to threaten or hobble anyone who 
would try to keep you in these familial 
chains. You escape your Darkest Self 
when you rejoin your family, or you 
shed your past life and integrate 
yourself into a new family.

Moves:

Failing Dynasty: 
In the age of serpents, your family was 
powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a 
shadow of their former glory. They want 
to regain their political clout.
Whenever you are convinced to do 
the bidding of a family member, carry 
1 forward to doing it and that family 
member gains a String on you. Whenever 
you help your family regain some of their 
former glory, mark experience.

Temptation:
Your suggestions carry a preternatural 
power. When you convince someone 
to do something, they carry 1 forward 
to doing it, and if they succeed choose 
one: mark experience; gain a String on 
them.

Mr. Elliot, my Biology teacher. I don't know how but whenever I am in his class it seems as though he knows just what I am and is already planning my dissection. Besides all that he seems like one of the kinder teachers that I know so I have no idea just how I am supposed to approach him.
The local dinner. The food is as good as you can expect with how little you pay for it, but apparently there is some type of special menu that only certain clients are allowed to access. Nobody is quite sure what is on the menu but it is a common after-school activity to attempt to gain access to the special menu.
That the local gym is more then just a place to get fit. Even those just walking past the building can smell the blood and so people have come to associate the place with being some sort of fight pit. Despite how clean the place is kept the rumors or the smells have not vanished so clearly something is going on there.[b]

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 3, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question(s) 1:
Carlita: Who's crossed you before? What did you do them in response? How do they feel about you now, are they still a problem?

Be quicker to ask who hasn't, ese.

But I'll be real. There was this racist gabacho I grew up with, Joseph something. When I look back on it I should probably thank him, 'cause he's the one who learned me about strength in numbers, but he did it wrong. Kept his boys around him all the time, didn't have the balls to do his own fights. He liked to holla at me, like he thought it'd scare me? Or like he thought being called a beaner would break me. I don't know what his problem was. He stepped up from annoying to total loving creep when his crew followed me home one day. This was like, eighth grade, junior high poo poo. I could have taken any one of them alone, no problem, but all five of them? Ha. And he knew it, too. Real big men, stalking a fuckin' girl, ey? They almost got me surrounded, but I kicked one of his guys in the huevos (I was surprised he had any) and ran off to the barrio. They're too chickenshit to set foot in Mexicantown, which is too bad, cause they woulda got straight-up murdered for trying that poo poo. People know me around here.

So I had to show them that I wasn't just some chavala they could jerk around. I didn't have anyone to watch my back yet, so I figured if I was gonna hit 'em I had to do it hard. I grabbed a baseball bat and followed these gringos for awhile, watched 'em pretend like they were kings of the universe 'cause they knew how to score a little grifa. When they split up, I caught up to Joseph, taunted him into chasing me down an alley, an' I hit him. Pretty fuckin' hard, too, from what it sounded like. Maybe I broke something, woulda served him right. I didn't murder him or anything, I'm not crazy, but I left him bruised up pretty bad. Spittin' blood and everything.

I'd been in fights before. Less one-sided poo poo than this. But seeing this leva break down? Making him apologize? It felt... It felt good, holmes. Really good.

It also earned me a home visit from the boys in blue. But mi madre? She got real upset at 'em, like hysterical crying and poo poo. Kept going on about how I was a good girl, and I would never, and -- it was stupid, but either she convinced them or they got tired of dealing with a crazy person. What's even more stupid is it wasn't an act. She's oblivious.

He ended up going to a different high school than I did -- even before Whitewillow, I mean. A couple of his boys didn't, and they made sure to let everyone know I was a crazy bitch, but they never messed with me, like, directly? Just rumors. Calling me a slut and whatever else they could think of. Was more helpful than anything. People respect you if they know you can back your poo poo up.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

Alex Mason: Why do your parents ignore you so much? Did you wish they paid more attention, or did you prefer being under the radar?

I wish I knew. It's funny, because whenever I got to to hang out with my aunt Sandra, she always mentions how much they wanted to have kids. An aside? Sandra's so awesome - it's like someone raised her from birth to be "that cool/crazy aunt." Nothing like her sister. Anyway, they couldn't have "real" kids - something about cancer Mom had a while back. Maybe the whole thing didn't turn out to be what they expected? Or maybe I'm just not what they expected...

It's a mixed bag, I guess. They both work a lot, so even if they did give a poo poo, I'd still be on my own a bunch of the time. It was nice to be able to sneak out at night and know that they wouldn't be all paranoid and check and see if I was gone. But... I feel like I'm missing out on something, even if I don't know what it is.

(Translation: She's her crazy aunt's kid, literally left on her sister's doorstep. They may or may not have figured it out - maybe that's what makes them act kind of coldly towards her. Either way, she represents this obligation foisted on them, and they're not fans.)

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Anna Spearman, the Shadow

You want to know how fast your whole world can go to poo poo? I bet you do. Allow me to present exhibit A: my life. One minute youre a straight-A student at a good school with a nice house, ordinary parents and an awesome talking raven who knows everyones secrets and is like the worlds best library and search engine put together. The next, your parents are divorcing, the school kicks you out for cheating and you realise your raven buddy is actually kind of sociopathic which doubly sucks because youre poo poo at making friends. Not that that was ever going to be easy at loving Whitewillow, zoo for the terminally maladjusted.

You want to know more about the raven right? Figures. His name is Hugo, he showed up on my window when I was nine one morning after I had this weird dream about hanging from a tree. Hes suspicious, hes paranoid, hes an unapologetic poo poo-stirrer and he wont shut up about this important Fate I have. It kills me that I cant get by without him, but what choice do I have? You cant just trust people. Dad made that obvious enough.

Sorry, I got a bit worked up there. I know it could always be worse. I'm not a junkie or a headcase or a dropout like half the kids here. Ive got a friend now, and thats real, no matter what Hugo says. I know he's got to stick with me, no matter what, and I might need his unique talent for loving people over. Whatever happens, Im going to survive this shithole, play the long game and claw my way back up. Maybe then I can worry about Ragnarok or whatever.

quote:

Name: Anna Spearman
Skin: Shadow
Origin: Haunted
Look: suspicious, dark eyes
Shadow's Name: Hugo
Shadows Voice: a raspy voice

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves:
Passenger: Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. When you gaze into the abyss, its your Shadow who answers.
Misdirection: Whenever someone attributes your actions or those of your Shadow to an innocent party, the accuser marks experience and you gain a string on them.
Whispers in the Dark: When someone with the Shadowed condition gazes into the abyss, you may answer instead of the MC, and you may lie. This removes the Shadowed condition from the gazer. This does not require the Shadowed condition if gaze into the abyss is used to ask questions about you.

Sex Move:
When youre intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it, mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well, they take 1 harm.

Darkest Self:
Youve let what was outside in, and it isnt interested in leaving. You have a ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesnt like all the friends and foes youve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance itself from all those connections, and it isnt afraid to cross as many lines as it takes to do it. While you are your
Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if youve never selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you arent behind the wheel, or when all your strings are gone.

Mr Smart, the physics teacher, is a poster boy for nominative determinism. He looks exactly how youd expect him to, minus a bow tie which Im pretty sure hed wear if he could get away with it. Hugo told me he used to work for NASA, which Google backs up. So why the hell is he a teacher in inner-city Detroit?
Bills Kentucky Golf Supplies. Even Hugo cant figure this one out. The place has to be a front for something. Either that or the devils running low on clubs, because there sure as hell arent many committed golfers around here. Seriously, the place is immaculate, but you never see anyone going in or out.
A rumour going around.
I heard they want to make a documentary about this pla-- ha ha, I cant even finish that sentence. This one pops up every couple of years from what I hear, and they just use it to try and squeeze some better grades and better behaviour out of the inmates for a few weeks. Everyone knows its bullshit.

MH newbie, let me know if I've missed anything.

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 4, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Got part of an idea for a witch, will see if I can write something up.

WIP

Arianna Meecham, the Witch

Look, I can stop whenever I want. It's not about the drugs, it's not the point.

Okay, lemme start from the beginning. My parents have a drug problem. Like, really bad, meth and whatever. I'm pretty sure at this point they only know I'm still alive when they see me, and that kinda pisses them off. So, I'm usually trying to avoid home. First spent a bunch of time in the library, mindin' my own business and doing whatever. Funny thing about the library is that there's books there. All sorts of books. Now, you'd think if there was anything of any real worth, it couldn't be found in a Detroit library. Well, I guess it's because most people don't believe in magic. And not the sort where you pull a rabbit out of a hat. I mean real magic. Real -power-.

Sadly, you gotta have a spark to get most magic to work. Either something in your heart or your brain or whatever it was. So, you're 14, you've got druggie parents and you've got a book that promises you all sorts of power if you can unlock your potential. Well, I didn't want to jump right into things, so I tried something simple. Something that is pretty safe, something simple. So, I took a discarded joint no one would miss, and I tried to read. To understand. And boy, it helped. I don't know if it was the literal drug or just some sort of brain getting looser or whatever, but from then on, I figured it out. Like, I don't really need the help for basic magic anymore. I can do a lot of things drug-free, but if I want to tap into that power in a new way, I usually have to try something. Newer the better.

So yeah, a few years later, my parents get in trouble with the cops, and since there's a bag of mushrooms in my room, that means I'm trouble too. Now it's to some place no one sends their kids, all because I need supervision or whatever. This place isn't much harder to find drugs than my parents' house was, plus they feed me at least once a day here. Foster care place gives me the other two. Still, I look around, and all I see is trouble wherever I go. I miss the peace and quiet of home a bit, but really, it could be worse. Now, I just keep that stash around in case someone threatens to gut me like some prison movie. Not interested in that.

quote:

Name: Arianna Meechan
Look: Guarded, deep eyes
Skin: The Witch
Origin: Awoken

Stats:

Darkest Self:

The time for subtlety and patience is over. Youre too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You
hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you
are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Sex Move:

After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and its cool.

Moves:

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the targets gaze
and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
}} the casting does you 1 harm;
}} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
}} trigger your Darkest Self.

Hexes
-Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control
over the exact images or manifestations.

-Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they
are seeing.

Bide My Time
If youve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friends stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

Teacher: Mr. Walker, the chem teacher. Like, he's not breaking bad or anything, but it's not because of any moral compass or anything. Guy spends a lot of time alone in the Chemistry lab, which no human being should be doing anyways, none of the safety stuff works. But there he is, doing something or another. Maybe he's looking for something big to never have to show up again. Whatever it is, it's probably not something he wants the police to know about.

Place: There may be no school councilor, but there's definitely a Councilor's Office. You wanna go to a place that sends a shiver down your spine, you go there. If it's haunted or just some sort of bad juju, there's a reason the door's always locked and no one goes inside unless they're looking for a place where no one would look.

Rumor: Okay, so we've definitely got problems at this school, but I didn't think it'd be so bad that the cops are asking for young volunteers to pretend to be students here to figure out what exactly is going on in here. Sure, this place is awful, but why try to figure things out when they could go to the state and just do something simple like shut the place down.

Thread Title: The Monster City Is Burning

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Okay, at this point, with 17 apps and another person posting interest, I'm going to close applications. Thelazyblank, you have 12 hours to finish up that character app. I'll post more questions tomorrow, when I'm not busy with an IRC game :p

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
oh i was writing a app just as it closed my bad :ohdear:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:
Simon: What's your family like? Real family or dream-family, what do they think of your condition?

Seth: What action have you taken that thrills the snake-half of you? What action have you taken that excites the human-half?

Anna: Have you had any other weird dreams since you met Hugo? Do they affect your life at all?

Arianna: What do you use your magic for? Have you used it for any particular purpose, or just because it needs to be used?

Alister: What makes you sure that you'll end up on top in a school like this? What do you have that nobody else has?

Question 2:

Nathan: What is more important to you - gaining the forgiveness of God, or making a difference, with or without his blessing?

Liliana: Unfortunately, the people that stick out the most in life usually get targeted by people who are jealous; how do you deal with bullies and hardass teachers?

Kelly: Have you ever fought with your sister? When has she made things worse for you?

Alex Mason: Have you ever impersonated someone for the better? Made everything work out, and leave everyone happy?

Alex Phane: Who's noticed you since you started going to Whitewillow? Did they try to be your friend, or your enemy? What do you think of them?

Jess: You're a rich girl in a really poor neighbourhood, do you ever feel scared of being in a shithole like this? Does anyone here act differently than you'd expect of them?

Fuse: You're a rich guy in a really poor neighbourhood, do you ever feel scared of being in a shithole like this? Does anyone here act differently than you'd expect of them?

Max: What happened to the girl you dated, pretending to be your mother? Have you seen her since the deception was revealed? Have you dated anyone else in disguise since?

Sarah: What's the best reward you've asked RUL for and received? What did you do in order to pay for it? Would you do it again, knowing its cost?

Kat: What's the worst act you've committed to sate this Hunger of yours?

Tucker: What's one good thing about being a werewolf, if there is one? What does the Moon even say to werewolves?

Carlita: How do you keep your own gang in line? There's got to be times they get unruly, how do you remind them you're the boss?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Don't worry, Axe-Man, there's always another MH game right around the corner. I'd been eying this myself, but looks like you've got plenty of good apps. Have fun, all!

• Locked thread