Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for April, 2015?
This poll is closed.
:rant: Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 41 31.06%
:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 2.27%
:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) 42 31.82%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 11 8.33%
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 15 11.36%
:patriot: Kurt Angle (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 5 3.79%
:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.76%
:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) 1 0.76%
:suezo: These Guys Again? (None of the Above) 13 9.85%
Total: 132 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, Brock Lesnar's amazing Wrestlemania performance saw him win the poll for the second time this year, with his closest rival for votes being the man who unexpectedly beat him for the title that night - Seth Rollins. Now that Wrestlemania has been and gone, will things return to "normal" with the Japanese dominance we've seen over the last year or so in PSP? Will Seth's performance this month see him take the top spot? Will more people have been exposed to the remarkable Prince Puma? Jay Briscoe in ROH? What about the TNA and NWA champions - only time will tell!

To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend their belt, but where the Champion doesn't make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing why your favorite promotion's Champion is actively doing stuff as champ and deserves to be on the poll, then I'm happy to change this stance. Also, given some of the things that have been said over the last few months, the monthly "None of the Above" option is now just as valid a "winner" as any other Champion. If enough people truly feel none of the current Champions deserve a vote, that will be reflected in the final results.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread!

:rant: Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Following his sneak Wrestlemania victory and escape from Brock Lesnar's wrath on Raw, Seth spent much of April feuding with.... Kane! Despite having a month long feud with Randy Orton, Rollins' focus mostly seemed to be on the Director of Operations as he couldn't resist taunting or talking poo poo to the man and forcing humiliation after humiliation on him before backpedalling in a panic whenever Kane felt things had gone too far. Beating a debuting Neville in a great match early in the month, Seth successfully defended his title against Randy Orton at Extreme Rules in a cage match where - despite the RKO being banned - Seth made a point of using the move on Orton himself after Kane had just taken one from Orton. Seth walked out with a swagger, and continued to needle Kane, lay the groundwork for a potential clash with HHH down the road, and also began to set the scene for a defense against Roman Reigns, though Orton (and Dean Ambrose!) aren't out of the picture just yet! The guy just can't help but trash-talk, not just his foes but his friends too, and one of the best things about Seth is that after everybody else saves his rear end, he always makes a point of bragging about how he did it all himself.

:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Though BxB Hulk had his usual extremely busy month, there were no title defenses this month, most of which was dedicated to multi-man tag matches against old stablemates Mad Blankey.

:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) - Puma is a face seemingly surrounded by heels, including his mentor, Konnan, and the guy who is supposed to be watching his back, Hernandez. Even his rival/peer Johnny Mundo seems to have it out for him, and that only makes sense since as Champion Puma is unavoidably a marked man. With successful title defenses this month against King Cuerno and Drago, you'd think his position was secure, but Puma is having to face up to the knowledge that Hernandez doesn't care about him, Konnan is constantly playing some kind of game, he was forced to end the career of Drago in order to retain his title, and everything is closing in on him. If you haven't been watching Lucha Underground you've been missing out, especially on a guy like Puma, and you owe it to yourself to at least check out his two title defenses for yourself before making your vote, just so you can at least make an informed decision.

:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Like BxB Hulk, Nakamura has had no title defenses this month, though for very good reason. NJPW has structured things so that any one of the three "top" titles can be used to main event a show, and April was all about the Never Openweight Title, while Nakamura built up the match that will be opening May, as he will take on Hirooki Goto before heading to the US to take part in the ROH/NJPW shows that are going to be incredible. But while he was involved in plenty of matches teasing the eventual showdown against Goto, it's hard to justify voting for him in April, though I'm sure that won't stop people (Nakamura is REALLY cool), and hell, it's your vote, do what you want with it!

:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - AJ opened April with a title defense against Kota Ibushi, an extremely good match that didn't quite live up to the hype but successfully set the stage for the future. AJ further solidified the OH HOLY gently caress nature of his finisher - the Styles Clash - with an amazing finish that caught Ibushi in mid-air and seamlessly transitioned him into the Clash. As AJ celebrated his victory while Kenny Omega pondered his part in wrecking the dreams of his old buddy Ibushi, Okada (who earlier in the night put down Bad Luck Fale with finality) rushed in to take down AJ and pose over his body, having regained the confidence he lost when he was defeated by Tanahashi earlier in the year. It all worked great as set-up for things to come, but in terms of THIS month, all there is really to go on is the actual match against Ibushi.... luckily that was a REALLY good match.

:patriot: Kurt Angle (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Kurt spent the month defending the title he defeated Bobby Lashley for, with title defenses against Lashley and Eric Young. He was also set to face off with Austin Aries, but Eric Young put paid to that, feeling he wasn't getting the opportunity HE deserved, attacking and beating down first Aries, then Angle after he tried to come to his aid. Angle is getting up there in years and many questioned the decision to put the belt back on him, but for all the flak TNA deservedly gets in a lot of areas, many are saying that despite the late paychecks, the dropping ratings, the hard to find channel it's on etc - the in-ring stuff has been very good, and even an old Kurt Angle is still Kurt Angle, and Kurt Angle is really great at wrestling even if (or because) he's insane.

:dukedog: Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Tenzan was involved in a large number of tag matches this month, but also successfully defended his NWA title against Big Daddy Yum Yum of all people, though he almost died in the process when he got sent flying headfirst over the top rope. It wasn't a great match, despite the ENORMOUS improvement that BDYY showed after only TWO matches (he's just mostly terrible now), and hopefully in the future Tenzan is able to get more matches against a better variety of opponents, because the NWA Title sure as hell needs it.

:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) - The Briscoe Brothers looked close to signing with WWE this month, but finally came to the conclusion that ROH simply suits their lifestyles better. They are paid well, they are able to continue to run their successful businesses and spend lots of time at home, and they know they're appreciated and their careers won't be entirely at the whim of a madman multi-millionaire. So the idea that Jay looked set to finally lose the belt or end his 2 year undefeated streak is no longer a given, with Briscoe set to play an integral part in the upcoming ROH/NJPW shows (which are going to be so, so great). That said, this month he had no title defenses, just a couple of tag matches, and so as Champion this month there is little to justify or make the argument for giving him your vote - though in the end that's up to you as always.

:suezo: These Guys Again? (None of the Above) - Look at all the fucks I give - none! Just like I want none of these guys to be MY champion. Click this option to show that none of the champions appeal to you, or just so you can see what everybody else voted without making a vote yourself. As always, if more people vote for None of the Above than any other option, then None of the Above WILL be the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know Invasion Attack was a while ago (I forgot it was even in April) but that was by far the best match any champ had this month.

Here's a link to the match for those too cheap or broke to subscribe to World:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lsl70

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am really struggling to decide between Puma, AJ and Seth. Seth didn't have the best match but I love what an amazing rear end in a top hat he is on television. AJ didn't do much as champ this month but I really enjoyed his match with Ibushi and I'm psyched for the AJ/Okada storyline set up at the end of it. Puma is amazing in the ring and is involved in a show that is trying something relatively fresh and new in wrestling. Somebody make an argument for one of them!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The proper answer is Jay Briscoe. He's lighting the way for the one true champion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

write in vote for the REAL world champion Jay Lethal

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oatgan posted:

write in vote for the REAL world champion Jay Lethal
That's who I'm voting for

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i voted hulku because i am committed to my brand and he's the longest reigning champ at this point.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

A vote for Seth is a vote for more Dick pics

voted Seth

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The man whose spirit animal is the jaguar, Prince Puma.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, ended up voting for Puma, his stuff was just so good in all areas all month long.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Voting Seth because I saw his dick

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Voting Puma because Seth'll get it next month, and Puma deserves the recognition.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
not voting for puma because i still think his lucha underground gear and mask are terrible.

vote Tenzan though because I love bad hair and felt bad when big daddy yum yum almost killed him recently.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hey now, Ibushi had a great title defense in April too:

Kota Ibushi vs Harashima for the KO-D Openweight, April 29th.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Adam Cole is the greatest, but he doesn't hold any titles right now that I know of.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I know its wicked hosed up

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

A vote for Prince Puma is a vote for Lucha Underground, easily the best wrestling show on television right now.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 2, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Owens making GBS threads on Riley wasn't as funny this month (still funny, mind, but not funny enough to make me vote for him) :(

Voted Seth because I still laugh at "Kane was there."

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I voted for the Suezo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

A vote for Puma is a vote for excellent television, storytelling and in-ring action. Also AZTEC GOLD!

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Jerusalem posted:

I am really struggling to decide between Puma, AJ and Seth. Seth didn't have the best match but I love what an amazing rear end in a top hat he is on television. AJ didn't do much as champ this month but I really enjoyed his match with Ibushi and I'm psyched for the AJ/Okada storyline set up at the end of it. Puma is amazing in the ring and is involved in a show that is trying something relatively fresh and new in wrestling. Somebody make an argument for one of them!

Throw Seth out, IMO. The cage match was not on the level of what the other guys did. There is not thing wrong with what he is doing, but it really doesn't stand out to me.

AJ had the best match this month, bar none. It was an absolute classic, and the finish was something that I don't think Ill ever forget.

Puma had two great matches, and LU was the best promotion this month, IMO. I can't really vote for him, since the best thing in LU was the trios tournament, and he got out shined a little.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
i voted for prince puma because he has an interesting storyline, a lot of competition, has a good thing going with the entire "doesn't really like the heel poo poo konnan makes him do and gently caress hernandez" story

also his matches are great

and i like his gear, it fits with LU's theme and the puma-hat he walks out with as a diss to cuerno owns bones

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
PUMA

also lol yuriy nice new avatar

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

PUMA

also lol yuriy nice new avatar

at least people wont confuse #mma for "MRA" because of nikita krylov's al capone costume i guess

it is a little annoying to have to see cm punks stupid face every time i post tho

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Where the F is Kevin Owens though?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Voted Styles because Styles/Ibushi was the best match I saw all month.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just one time I want to see a new WWE champion not get immediately shoved into a Kane feud. One time.

Puma or bust.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Yuriy posted:

at least people wont confuse #mma for "MRA" because of nikita krylov's al capone costume i guess

it is a little annoying to have to see cm punks stupid face every time i post tho

think that it is punk saying it

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

how the gently caress is Seth Rollins winning this poll when he spent the month feuding with loving Kane

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I Before E posted:

how the gently caress is Seth Rollins winning this poll when he spent the month feuding with loving Kane

says the guy who didn't watch any wrestling this month

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

I watched entirely too much wrestling in April, and I think Seth's a really talented and entertaining guy. He still had an ok but nothing special cage match and has suffered from typical wwe heel champ booking.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

oatgan posted:

Hey I watched some wrestling

E: That wrestling being the first half of Invasion Attack and a Cesaro/Tyson Kidd match on Smackdown but still.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 3, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the kane feud is actually great and it pains me deep down to say that because kane is absolute trash but hey there it is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looks like this one could be close, Puma currently leads but only by a couple of votes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

the kane feud is actually great and it pains me deep down to say that because kane is absolute trash but hey there it is

Honestly the only reason I'm enjoying it is because WWE is writing actual continuity into the story and referencing things that happened a year ago.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

I watched entirely too much wrestling in April, and I think Seth's a really talented and entertaining guy. He still had an ok but nothing special cage match and has suffered from typical wwe heel champ booking.

I like Seth but this and also he lost his cool finisher and doesnt wear a puma head to the ring

gently caress him

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Looks like this one could be close, Puma currently leads but only by a couple of votes.
Can I change my vote to Rollins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Durrr I don't vote because my one vote never matters DURRRRRR"

Prince Puma wins it by ONE vote!

• Locked thread