Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi Mario thread. I am downloading Super Mario 3D World for the very first time and just wondering what the Super Mario Imps recommend as the favored controller for the game. I am excited to have a brand new Mario game which I have never played before, which I am told is one of the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Hi Mario thread. I am downloading Super Mario 3D World for the very first time and just wondering what the Super Mario Imps recommend as the favored controller for the game. I am excited to have a brand new Mario game which I have never played before, which I am told is one of the greatest.

the tablet because oyu have to blow on the screen in certain levels

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I find the GamePad to be the least comfortable controller but it's true, it's probably the optimal controller for the mic thing, and because you can use your finger to stun enemies and reveal hidden coins.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hell I think blowing on the screen even stuns enemies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

update: the wii U crashes if I try to use it with external hard drives so i am trying to move things around on the USB so that i can even download the game. i am mildly disappointed. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i managed to move hyrule warriors save data and DLC to the system memory so i could put it on the DLC but it seems it was unnecessary because the first time i tried to download it, it said it was three times as large as this time :confused:

I really like Nintendo's games but I don't think their data management is very good sometimes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
when i would play with the pro controller instead of the tablet, i would keep blowing on my hands out of habit

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

when i would play with the pro controller instead of the tablet, i would keep blowing on my hands out of habit

this "my hands" fella is a lucky guy xD

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played all of world 1 last night. it's a really great game, and the hard parts (there were some green stars i had trouble finding) all feel like the good kind of hard and not frustrating. my favorite was the captain toad level. i've beat almost every level with the princess because i find her that her floating ability really helps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I used the pro controller the entire time and swapped over to game pad when the game made me. Absolutely sick game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got about 20 stars in SMG2 before switching over to smg1, because I want to play this one first. Ive played smg2 many times before but I think I've only played 1 the one time. Gonna be neat to revisit it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The first Galaxy brings back a lot of memories for me, because the first time I played it was after having surgery and it was a terrible time for a lot of reasons, so now I can just enjoy it without all of that baggage.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

28 stars into the 120 Star Challenge. I can feel my gamer power increasing.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

every day I get around 2-4 stars on Super Mario Galaxy 2. I want to binge on it but I restrain myself to short, enjoyable sessions. it is extremely win in this gamer's opinion. this 242 star challenge will be epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

every day I get around 2-4 stars on Super Mario Galaxy 2. I want to binge on it but I restrain myself to short, enjoyable sessions. it is extremely win in this gamer's opinion. this 242 star challenge will be epic.

it's the best Mario challenge there is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i want a Mario Galaxy 3...imagine Mario blasting off of your tv and flying into your gamepad screen for certain planets and then launching himself back onto the big screen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

i want a Mario Galaxy 3...imagine Mario blasting off of your tv and flying into your gamepad screen for certain planets and then launching himself back onto the big screen.
I want Mario 3-D World 2: Yoshi's 3-D Island.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want Mario 3-D World 2: Yoshi's 3-D Island.

That would be sweet but Yoshi's Wooly World will be sufficient for me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also want this. let's start a letter-writing campaign. i'll bring the crayons to draw pictures of how cool it will be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

45 stars into SMG1. The bedroom conservatory is such an amazing collection of levels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

45 stars into SMG1. The bedroom conservatory is such an amazing collection of levels.
I like the storybook.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like the storybook.

Me too.

I did Super Mario 3D World, world 2 and a little of world 3 yesterday. probably won't have time to play today, and i have to work a little on saturday this week.

I should play other characters besides the princess but because she can fly I always default to her.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like the storybook.

i dont think ive ever walked into that room.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well you should!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wander in sometime, it's just a nice little bedtime story and it contributes to the atmosphere.

While I am digging 3D world a lot, Galaxy is definitely my favorite Mario game, and I might play it again soon, despite having just played it last year.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Looking forward to replaying Galaxy 2. Galaxy is still really great but on the replay I felt like there were a lot of worlds I was just "eh" about. I'm curious how Galaxy 2 will feel.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tender Bender posted:

Looking forward to replaying Galaxy 2. Galaxy is still really great but on the replay I felt like there were a lot of worlds I was just "eh" about. I'm curious how Galaxy 2 will feel.

galaxy 2 feels like it repeats itself a lot less so its cooler

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Galaxy 2 has way more levels which is better. Galaxy had a ton of levels with 7 stars which wears thin after a while when you have 3 bonus stars in the same map. Galaxy 2 mixes things up constantly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It also has Cloud Mario.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It also has Cloud Mario.

there was one super dick green star that required you to keep cloud mario through the bulk of a pretty hard level and that owned

both galaxy games are really good, i like the music in 1 better but IMO the level design of 2 blows 1's away. they went with conventional tightly designed stuff instead of mario 64-y sandbox stuff that falls flat when you dont have the crazy rear end jump moves from 64

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZhJDUFb58

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've noticed that a lot of the levels in 3D world require you to keep a power up through most of the level to get a star, and that it's usually pretty easy so far, which is fine. I think the level I found hardest was the one where you ride the water dinosaur.

Dec 26, 2012

was definitely not a fan of that one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the best levels in 3D Land are the ones with limited time and lil clock powerups scattered thru the environment, so fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the best levels in 3D Land are the ones with limited time and lil clock powerups scattered thru the environment, so fun

Yeah. The entire world in 3D world that is nothing but hard mode remixes is sweet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah, that does sound cool, and i am looking forward to playing said levels, even the real hard ones which make me clutch the gamepad and grit my teeth. mario's good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

was definitely not a fan of that one

the dumbass water dinosaur levels are terrible

galaxy 2 had these flying bird levels in a similar vein but they were insanely easy and pretty much just an excuse to show you a really pretty changing landscape

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

galaxy 2 had these flying bird levels in a similar vein but they were insanely easy and pretty much just an excuse to show you a really pretty changing landscape

yeah. galaxy 2 is really hard but the weird bad bird levels were easy for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

I've noticed that a lot of the levels in 3D world require you to keep a power up through most of the level to get a star, and that it's usually pretty easy so far, which is fine. I think the level I found hardest was the one where you ride the water dinosaur.

There's a nighttime hard-mode of a level with piranha plants all over the place, and you need to light all the braziers to make the stars appear, but all the platforms are moving and if you fall in the water you die and if you lose your fire flower you can't get the stars. I think that was the hardest level that I can remember right now.

• Locked thread