Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vibur posted:

Back in what we like to call "the day", Progress had some kind of boner for Angela (one of the Witchery witches). There would be Angelas as far as the eye could see.

Well, not that many, but there were enough that the first thing I'd do on logging in would be to fly around spawn and kill off 30-40 Angelas.

That's just how Witchery was, it wasn't configurable. I was planning on including Witchery again but I'll give it a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

I solved the first problem by spending about two and a half stacks of iron on a railcraft Tank. Two stacks gets you the basic tank blocks, and the rest is for two tank valves and the iron tools that inevitably break when crafting. Now I've got a giant steam battery and can use my solar boiler for passive charging!
Okay, uh. So this is embarrassing, but I just realized I haven't used Railcraft Iron Tanks since, like, Buildcraft days/super early TE, so I sort of don't remember how to get fluids back OUT of the tank and into the pipes I have attached to the other valves (the one that's not feeding steam in). I tried slapping copper/bronze pipes on and toggling redstone power to it but no go. What's the syntax here?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

Okay, uh. So this is embarrassing, but I just realized I haven't used Railcraft Iron Tanks since, like, Buildcraft days/super early TE, so I sort of don't remember how to get fluids back OUT of the tank and into the pipes I have attached to the other valves (the one that's not feeding steam in). I tried slapping copper/bronze pipes on and toggling redstone power to it but no go. What's the syntax here?

I think you can only drain Railcraft tanks from the bottom. Put the valve you want to output from either on the very bottom face, or on the side, one up from the bottom (since the edges have to be solid tank and can't be the tank glass/"gauge" or valve)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

you can drain a railcraft iron tank from a valve on the bottom part of its face (not counting the very edge)

you will need to use something that can extract the liquid, like a wooden fluid pipe or fluiduct set to output

if you have two railcraft tanks touching each other vertically with a valve in the dead center of the top and bottom, they will connect to each other and the top tank will fill the lower tank

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

I think you can only drain Railcraft tanks from the bottom. Put the valve you want to output from either on the very bottom face, or on the side, one up from the bottom (since the edges have to be solid tank and can't be the tank glass/"gauge" or valve)
Well crap. Sure enough this works, draining into my copper pipes just fine now. Every wiki I read said that railcraft tanks would drain fine if the valve was anywhere on the bottom two layers of the tank, but so much for that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Well crap. Sure enough this works, draining into my copper pipes just fine now. Every wiki I read said that railcraft tanks would drain fine if the valve was anywhere on the bottom two layers of the tank, but so much for that.

He's wrong, you are right.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

That is correct, it just can't be on the borders. Anywhere else on the bottom two layers with a pipe that can extract will work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

That's what I was trying to say. The edges/corners need to be solid tank, but if you go one up you should be able to place a valve there and drain just fine. No idea why it wasn't working for you.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Rocko, wife and I are trying to download BFSR, but no dice. Are you updating the pack?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Note that it obeys gravity, so a valve placed high up on the tank won't drain anything below it. So like, if your tank is only 50% full and the valve is on the top half of the tank side, it won't drain.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

central dogma posted:

Rocko, wife and I are trying to download BFSR, but no dice. Are you updating the pack?

It looks like I accidentally put a broken link to the beta in it. Whoops! I have no idea when that happened.

It should still be 1.5.0.3, but it looks like Technic decided to have old packs do the new naming convention, so I am waiting for it to further accept my new link. I have to give it some arbitrary time to figure it out. I set it, and I find it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour to update the link.

Edit: It still was stuck on a bad link, so I declared a new 1.5.0.4 version that is just the 1.5.0.3 files, and that got taken in immediately. After what they told me, I am pretty sure the whole thing is not working as they'd expect.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 13, 2016

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

McFrugal posted:

What do you mean by Angela's?

e: And:

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
That's hilarious.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

At first it really is, but it starts losing it's charm after a while when someone on the server has to do a cull every hour or two.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Which then spams the message list for about 40-50 lines. Everybody gets to know when an Angela gets offed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm messing with IE for the first time. God I love multiblocks. Also it seems like it's going to be an effective way to gate other mods, specifically tech ones, without being too much of an annoying road block. It seems like a very Good Mod. Hopefully it's not too laggy.

I'm testing the idea of leaving out Tcon too, I haven't played without it for years but I'm actually enjoying using the various alternative mods and tools they provide, because Tcon always eclipses everything except the most late-game tools.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
If I was going to pay for a VPS so I could run a modded server with a big kitchen sink pack in it, how much RAM would I need?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
IE is pretty good, though we actually just found a bizarre source of significant tick usage: Arc Smelter having graphite rods in it. Like, them just being in the machine, whether it's doing anything or not. So it seems like you'll want them to be taken out when it isn't smeltering.

PS: throw as many ore blocks as you want into the crusher at once, it'll take all of them and deal with them in a queue.

Having windmill/watermill power being a good idea for earlytimes power gen rather than just throwing out a Sterling Generator or Steam Dynamo might be an idea.

PPS: IE needs specifically IE Steel for the steel blocks used by the Arc Smelter multiblock. No other steel will work.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 14, 2016

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Taffer posted:

I'm messing with IE for the first time. God I love multiblocks. Also it seems like it's going to be an effective way to gate other mods, specifically tech ones, without being too much of an annoying road block. It seems like a very Good Mod. Hopefully it's not too laggy.

I'm testing the idea of leaving out Tcon too, I haven't played without it for years but I'm actually enjoying using the various alternative mods and tools they provide, because Tcon always eclipses everything except the most late-game tools.

You could black list the tool forge and keep people stuck on the first tier tools. I do have a soft spot for the Smeltery

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The problem I had with IE when I fooled around with it was just how much loving metal you needed to make anything. It was really hard to justify building any of the machines when there were other mods that worked just as well, for 1/50 of the cost. They were really cool once I had them built, minus the fact that the UIs tended to break all the time, though.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Taffer posted:

Yeah, I really liked the Redstone Arsenal bow enchanted with infinity, but the Pink Slime AK-47s everyone was packing just defeated the point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Taffer posted:

That is correct, it just can't be on the borders. Anywhere else on the bottom two layers with a pipe that can extract will work.
The problem is I'm not sure how GT pipes handle it.

I'm testing now. A pipe placed on the bottom extracts automatically just fine. But there's nothing I can do to get a valve on this layer to output. Even though a valve opposite this one, on the same height, inputs just fine. Redstone signals don't help either.

As you can see the pipes below fill up with steam instantly, as soon as being placed, even, but the pipes on the side stay empty.

Guess I'll just stick to using the bottom to extract, unless maybe Edminster or someone else had a way of making this work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, that sounds like GT being GT. The upper pipe would work just fine with Fluiducts, EIO pipes or tesseracts.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Taffer posted:

The problems with TiCon are the TE alloys (signalum, lumium, enderium) and the crossbow being ridiculous. If you can gently caress those right out the mod it'd be fine.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

The problems with TiCon are the TE alloys (signalum, lumium, enderium) and the crossbow being ridiculous. If you can gently caress those right out the mod it'd be fine.

i never make those using ticon,

Enderio Alloy smelter or the induction smelter

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

i never make those using ticon,

Enderio Alloy smelter or the induction smelter

No, I mean that the tools you can make with those metals are so far ahead of anything else it's absurd.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I think you mean it's amazing. :D

Especially the signalum crossbow. No need to endure the painful melee combat. Just take everything down with your very own M249. :D

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

The problem is I'm not sure how GT pipes handle it.

I'm testing now. A pipe placed on the bottom extracts automatically just fine. But there's nothing I can do to get a valve on this layer to output. Even though a valve opposite this one, on the same height, inputs just fine. Redstone signals don't help either.

As you can see the pipes below fill up with steam instantly, as soon as being placed, even, but the pipes on the side stay empty.

Guess I'll just stick to using the bottom to extract, unless maybe Edminster or someone else had a way of making this work.

I'm guessing that those GT pipes don't specifically pull from the fluid container they are attached to. Valves on the bottom dump fluid to anything they are attached to, but pipes on the side don't get dumped to -- you have to pull using a pipe that can pull.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Cryohazard posted:

I'm pretty sure that the TE alloys are added to TCon by ExtraTiC.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im still playing that furry modpack. Found 4 ingots of signalum in a chest at the start fo a rougelike dungeon and combat is now over. Hardest part was getting the right bolts (plastic was meant to have a 1500 durability, but i ended up with 5 bolts... so enderium enderium it was)

This pack has some sort of morph mod that im really really liking.

I pretty much go everywhere now as a bat.

(didnt work too well when i went to the nether though. Morphed into a bat in order to cross some lava, moved out of hidey hole and right into a wisp. 3 hearts of hp as a bat didnt last long. But at least i could fly back and get my gravestone! )

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Im still playing that furry modpack. Found 4 ingots of signalum in a chest at the start fo a rougelike dungeon and combat is now over. Hardest part was getting the right bolts (plastic was meant to have a 1500 durability, but i ended up with 5 bolts... so enderium enderium it was)

Try enderium tip with lumium core for the same damage with much more range.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Gregtech fluid pipes are literally the worst. Every so many ticks they simply try and move half of their contents into an adjacent pipe or machine/tank. This can mean either direction. The fluid just sloshes around in there forever. You are supposed to use shutters on them in order to prevent fluid flowing backwards but I recommend just ignoring that they exist at all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

bigperm posted:

Gregtech is literally the worst. I recommend just ignoring that it exists at all.

:yeah:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Logged onto my server today and... blood moon. Off to a great start.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
IE handles crafting machines in a much more satisfying way, by having you build multiblocks out of a few simple machine components

so creating factory lines for the components are feasible instead of becoming a huge tedious line of a million crafting components you can only reasonably do with Applies Energistics

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or some ungodly combination of auto-crafting blocks and pipe logistics systems that takes up an unreasonable amount of space.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do Progressive Automation machines work? I have a stone chopper with a stone axe, plenty of charcoal, saplings, and a stone upgrade. What else does it need to work?

EDIT: it plants saplings but it doesn't chop apparently.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ariong posted:

How do Progressive Automation machines work? I have a stone chopper with a stone axe, plenty of charcoal, saplings, and a stone upgrade. What else does it need to work?

EDIT: it plants saplings but it doesn't chop apparently.

The weird thing about progressive automation that you may be running into is that the "range" is actually not a radius. It's the length of a block spiral that goes around the machine. So you want a range of 8 to cover a 3x3 area, range 24 to cover a 5x5, etc. There's a wrench that will show you the range of the machine with a block outline that moves around, try using it and you'll see what I mean.

VegasGoat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any goons got recommendations for server hosts? I'm considering booting up a like 10 person modded server for some friends and don't want to run it off my desktop cause I don't feel like leaving my computer on all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

The bolt shaft uses the handle multiplier, and does not contribute to base durability- only the head does. Plastic has high base durability but a terrible handle multiplier. Plastic is also terrible at mining things, and does bad damage. I guess you could use it as a chisel head maybe?