Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Average Bear posted:

Oh and are any of these gonna cause the server to run like poo poo? I already have my eye on millenaire, which has autonomous villagers running around doing stuff.

Before I saw your followup post I was about to chime in that Millenaire and the "autonomous village" type mods are notoriously computationally demanding.

Keep an eye on the ChickenChunks loader, I recall that it used to have really poor performance beyond the overhead with keeping a chunk loaded. Most people use the GUI map for claiming/chunkloading chunks.

Foamfix might add some instability, but I gather that the performance gains are pretty huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Blood Magic can be nasty depending on how hard your players go, but last I remember Millenaire brings all but the strongest servers to a crawl. Maybe pregenerating it helps, but the autonomous villagers are killer.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ok, Millenaire is getting axed then. Not worried about blood magic, its just 3/4 of us loving around. And I'll replace chicken chunk with FTB tools for chunk claiming (though I don't think it will be a big concern, I just want my potatoes to grow when I'm away).

Anyone try Minecolonies? Feel like that could replace Millenarie without actively crushing the server.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
While setting up my new laser grid for my Mekanism reactor I kept seeing errors in my power delivery. Turns out for some reason my cryo stabilized fluxduct is only sending 4,000 rf/t

So I set up various tests to find the best power delivery, and it turns out I've had a missunderstanding of Mekanism's power cables ALL ALONG.

"Capacity 12,800 rf" I thought that was the internal energy storage but I wanted to know the throughput.

Turns out it's 12,800 rf/t PER METER OF CABLE.

A route of 200 Ultimate Cables = 2.5 million rf/t throughput!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That seems a bit dumb. I'm now imagining coils of cable just idly meandering around the generator before the actual output point.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
All that means is you are given the opportunity to create functional art installations out of your cables!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

While setting up my new laser grid for my Mekanism reactor I kept seeing errors in my power delivery. Turns out for some reason my cryo stabilized fluxduct is only sending 4,000 rf/t

So I set up various tests to find the best power delivery, and it turns out I've had a missunderstanding of Mekanism's power cables ALL ALONG.

"Capacity 12,800 rf" I thought that was the internal energy storage but I wanted to know the throughput.

Turns out it's 12,800 rf/t PER METER OF CABLE.

A route of 200 Ultimate Cables = 2.5 million rf/t throughput!

This sounds like a bug, you should inform the dev.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Roguelike Dungeons can cause problems at times because of all the spawners firing off and a million entities.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vanilla mob spawners check for players in their operating area every single tick. They're awful.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Tell me about a magic mod that isn't a tech mod in disguise. I don't want to build wires pipes or multi-block crap. I just want to shoot fireballs at people.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Vanilla mob spawners check for players in their operating area every single tick. They're awful.

Foamfix improves this in its latest version.

... now they only check every 10 ticks! :downs:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

TalonDemonKing posted:

Tell me about a magic mod that isn't a tech mod in disguise. I don't want to build wires pipes or multi-block crap. I just want to shoot fireballs at people.

Electroblob's Wizardry. You have a wand and spellbooks which you stick in the wand and use mana to shoot fireballs.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Ars Magica is still as magical as you can get, make sure to tweak the level up rate to something vaguely reasonable though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

More stuff: What would it be like to update this biogenerator control setup for 1.12.2?

Apparently the barrels have redstone upgrades to emit when empty. There's an XU transfer node feeding the reactor with rationing pipes. Rednet cables carrying the redstone signals. I'm surprised that part works as-is. Do rednet cables pretty much work like a giant AND gate when multiple things output to them? Would EnderIOs redstone conduits work similarly?

I'm wondering if I could use Storage Drawers instead of JABBA barrels since I don't have that mod installed.

Update--so far: I have an intermediate setup going using RFTools logic gates and storage drawers. The storage drawers have redstone inventory cards in them. I went with min inventory instead of max inventory because faaaaart; they both seemed to work. The drawers are single-slot so I don't think it really matters. Both cards emit a signal if something's in them and stop emitting if they're empty. The RFTools logic gates can only take three inputs at a time, so I have three gates configured like a logical AND feeding a final logical AND gate to signal to the biofuel reactor that it can do what it wants to do.

What I don't have are rationing pipes. Did that get stripped out of Extra Utilities? Right now, I just have some EnderIO conduits just lining up into the biofuel reactor. This isn't entirely ideal because I believe an imbalance of any particular seed will overwhelm the conduit. I am not concerned about one side occupying two slots in the biofuel reactor; Industrial Foregoing set it up so you can lock seeds to specific slots. I'm just afraid the setup will lock if one seed is starved out of entering the conduit and the reactor never triggers.

Another open question is the best way to acquire the seeds. I'm using Pam's Harvestcraft seeds, so I always get plants. I need something really lazy to turn them back into seeds. I can use a crafter, but I'm blowing 100RF each time I have to do that and I'm having to feed in crafting cards. Is there anything clever that can efficiently turn nine different, single-slot crops into the seeds based on their built-in recipes?

There's a final question of if it's worth it in the end, but one thing at a time.

Side note: I guess the rednet controller was gone because "you need a degree in computer engineering to know how to use it." To think that I all I got out of majoring in computer engineering at a tech school were three things: a piece of paper, my wife, and knowing how to use the programmable rednet controller in MFR. Now I'm down to two things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermal dynamics has redstone gates that can send signals along a duct network. Sounds like what you're looking for and it'll be easier than what you're rigging up

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What I don't have are rationing pipes. Did that get stripped out of Extra Utilities?

In XU2 they are things you fit to the pipes. https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Transfer_Filter

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Eox posted:

Ars Magica is still as magical as you can get, make sure to tweak the level up rate to something vaguely reasonable though.

Love this mod to death but I don't think it's been updated.

dragonshardz posted:

Electroblob's Wizardry. You have a wand and spellbooks which you stick in the wand and use mana to shoot fireballs.

I'll check this out though, thank you!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In XU2 they are things you fit to the pipes. https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Transfer_Filter

All I saw in the filter UI was basic priority in the transfer filter and the actual filter itself just had the basic whitelist/blacklist/nbt kind of stuff in other mods that do item filtering. Is there still a rationing capability?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Thaumcraft is epic. I never had as much fun in minecraft than me and my friends examining flowers with our magic spyglass

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Love this mod to death but I don't think it's been updated.

Confusingly, a 'heavily inspired by Ars Magica' mod is in the works named Wizardry. Just not Electroblob's Wizardry, which is very different.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

All I saw in the filter UI was basic priority in the transfer filter and the actual filter itself just had the basic whitelist/blacklist/nbt kind of stuff in other mods that do item filtering. Is there still a rationing capability?

You probably made the transfer PIPE filter, which has a larger whitelist/blacklist/etc feature. You want the Transfer Filter (no "Pipe") -- it has a single whitelist-only slot and a button that switches between unlimited, stack, and single item only.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Average Bear posted:

Thaumcraft is epic. I never had as much fun in minecraft than me and my friends examining flowers with our magic spyglass

It rules and I am having fun with it so far!

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Confusingly, a 'heavily inspired by Ars Magica' mod is in the works named Wizardry. Just not Electroblob's Wizardry, which is very different.

There's also a mod called Bewitchment which is intended to be a spiritual successor to Witchery. It's early in development, not even at the stage of a closed beta test yet.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I've been itching to play Minecraft with people again, but none of my buds have servers or want to run one and I'm too drat poor to run one. Is there a goon server which doesn't require a lot of technical fiddly stuff to advance? I tend to prefer exploration, foraging and building, and my specific type of executive dysfunction runs screaming at anything more complicated than basic ore smelting or Thaumcraft ala what Blightfall had. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this isn't the place to ask.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

Dragomorph posted:

I've been itching to play Minecraft with people again, but none of my buds have servers or want to run one and I'm too drat poor to run one. Is there a goon server which doesn't require a lot of technical fiddly stuff to advance? I tend to prefer exploration, foraging and building, and my specific type of executive dysfunction runs screaming at anything more complicated than basic ore smelting or Thaumcraft ala what Blightfall had. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this isn't the place to ask.

Progress is pretty 'light'. Maybe give it a shot?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
The Thermal Dynamics retrievers can do rationing.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Mr.Boofu posted:

Progress is pretty 'light'. Maybe give it a shot?

Maybe, but it sounds like it's still mostly focused on learning automation when I'm really more interested in the explorative side of things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You probably made the transfer PIPE filter, which has a larger whitelist/blacklist/etc feature. You want the Transfer Filter (no "Pipe") -- it has a single whitelist-only slot and a button that switches between unlimited, stack, and single item only.

Yeah you got me. I found the non-pipe filter and tried that one out. I don't think it quite does what is necessary.

Depends posted:

The Thermal Dynamics retrievers can do rationing.

Disregarding the Eye of Ender it needs, I tried that too and it also doesn't quite do what is necessary.

The situation is that the biofuel generator has nine inventory slots, to which I'd like to have a unique seed. I want to pull seeds from adjacent storage to fill in their respective spots. The generator in Industrial Foregoing allows me to specify which seeds in which slots and lock that, so I don't have to worry about one seed overwhelming the reactor itself. However, I do have to worry about one type of seed overwhelming the item conduits coming into it. I basically need it to be able to fill in for the spots it currently has empty.

One way I thought to do this was with AE2. I could craft a dummy recipe that turns each of the nine different seeds into a MacGuffin of some kind and set up an interface to the reactor to create that item, and let the ME network vomit the ingredients into the biofuel reactor as I get enough to craft one of them. But then I have an ME network up and running at that point. At first I thought it couldn't be in one subnet, but I realized instead of 9 storages of some kind that I could have a drive, so it's quite possible I could do this with just 8 devices in a subnet. I wonder how much power I'd be losing from doing all those operations though. Overall, I'd prefer to be able to do this using stuff preceding having a bunch of certus quartz.

Note that I'm not even sure that's how it works in the image I posted earlier. Could that setup get overwhelmed with lots of one type of seed?

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Disregarding the Eye of Ender it needs, I tried that too and it also doesn't quite do what is necessary.

Not even in Round Robin mode? (The rightmost button in the row of big buttons in the GUI cycles between methods of choosing the order of items retrieved)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Just put the seeds very close to the reactor and use impulse itemducts along with lots of resonant servos. Itemducts can transit an infinite number of items at a time and the tube doesn't "clog" or anything like that; it's rate limited by the servos pulling items and the travel time of the items.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The situation is that the biofuel generator has nine inventory slots, to which I'd like to have a unique seed. I want to pull seeds from adjacent storage to fill in their respective spots. The generator in Industrial Foregoing allows me to specify which seeds in which slots and lock that, so I don't have to worry about one seed overwhelming the reactor itself. However, I do have to worry about one type of seed overwhelming the item conduits coming into it. I basically need it to be able to fill in for the spots it currently has empty.

One way I thought to do this was with AE2. I could craft a dummy recipe that turns each of the nine different seeds into a MacGuffin of some kind and set up an interface to the reactor to create that item, and let the ME network vomit the ingredients into the biofuel reactor as I get enough to craft one of them. But then I have an ME network up and running at that point. At first I thought it couldn't be in one subnet, but I realized instead of 9 storages of some kind that I could have a drive, so it's quite possible I could do this with just 8 devices in a subnet. I wonder how much power I'd be losing from doing all those operations though. Overall, I'd prefer to be able to do this using stuff preceding having a bunch of certus quartz.

Note that I'm not even sure that's how it works in the image I posted earlier. Could that setup get overwhelmed with lots of one type of seed?

I got it working nicely with a resonant retriever, storage drawers, and vanilla redstone:

First a picture of the full setup. I have the 9 ingredients in drawers with a Redstone Upgrade, which allows them to emit a redstone signal with their relative fullness. That goes into a redstone torch + repeater combo to invert and boost the signal (looking back the repeater isn't required). The signal then feeds into the bioreactor set to run without redstone signal so the bioreactor only runs when all 9 ingredients are present. (I also have a fluid void and some creative drawers in there for testing)

Next the Retriever. The setting here are a bit tricky, you need at least a Reinforced Retriever for the slots and options you need. The top number is the max # of each item in the inventory, this needs to be 64 or less so you can fit all your ingredients in. The number beneath that is the max items pulled at once, this number is not actually important but it smooths out operation a little bit if it's less or equal to the top number. Next is you want the retriever in whitelist mode, and you want it in round robin so it keeps everything as evenly stocked as possible.

And there you go, a Bioreactor happily running at max efficiency. Note how the ingredients are capped at what I set the Retriever to.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeap, I can confirm an resonant retriever can do it. That is one hell of lynchpin to have on the whole thing though. I wish there was something cheaper. I suppose one could get away with operating semi-automatically until that point.

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

Not even in Round Robin mode? (The rightmost button in the row of big buttons in the GUI cycles between methods of choosing the order of items retrieved)

The resonant one was necessary particularly because it had the extra option of how many items to keep in the target inventory aka "rationing mode."

Edit: This is the best I've seen so far; I couldn't figure out a way to use an ME subnet to tackle the problem since I don't have a weigh to shut off the reactor if it's short on some seeds. Is there something out there you can put adjacent to an inventory that will emit a signal if that inventory can no longer take new items?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 21, 2018

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The resonant one was necessary particularly because it had the extra option of how many items to keep in the target inventory aka "rationing mode."

I haven't tested it, but thinking about it a bit more you should be able to replace it with a Reinforced Filter and 9 Servos. Filters get the ability to limit items int the inventory at reinforced IIRC. A single Retriever is much cleaner though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap, I can confirm an resonant retriever can do it. That is one hell of lynchpin to have on the whole thing though. I wish there was something cheaper. I suppose one could get away with operating semi-automatically until that point.

Edit: This is the best I've seen so far; I couldn't figure out a way to use an ME subnet to tackle the problem since I don't have a weigh to shut off the reactor if it's short on some seeds. Is there something out there you can put adjacent to an inventory that will emit a signal if that inventory can no longer take new items?

If you use the Applied Energistics 'pattern' method, will it only shove a full 'recipe' worth of 1x each seed into the receiving chest if they're available? Or will it put 8 of the 9 seeds while it waits for the 9th to be available?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Does the bioreactor put out enough power to make it worth the effort?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just got my first 64 stack of Infinity Ingots :v:

16 Woot Factories set to Ender Dragons with the Dragon Hearts, Dragon Eggs, and Draconium Dust going into a Project E Energy Condenser MK2 > Infinity Catalyst. Using the RFTools' Builder made building it really easy.

Total base power usage, over 40 Million rf/t. That's way more than my 25 MRF/t Mekanism reactor was putting out. What to do... Add a second D-T duct!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I broke the controller on my smeltery and lost all my smelter stuff. Response: wipe world, try again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Depends posted:

Does the bioreactor put out enough power to make it worth the effort?

It'll be energy-positive, but it'll be worse than even trivial nuclear reactors. I have some basic math. The biofuel reactor will generate 1,440mb of biofuel with nine seeds. The Industrial Foregoing biofuel generator will generate 160RF/tick for a total of 640,000RF. According to various Wikis, a completely-utilized biofuel reactor could run 28 generators. That's 4,480RF/tick. I had a quest path in BFSR to go from a tree farm to ~3 MFR steam generators into a Big Reactor turbine with electrum coils that could deliver similar; I decided for the level of technology of the setup that more advanced coils was an unreasonable demand. What I don't really know to compare against this is what kind of farm I need to keep the biofuel reactor constantly busy, and that's a design problem without multiple parameters: size of farm versus using different accelerants on the crops. As a comedy option, it might even be fastest to just leave out some crass with sprinklers and harvest whatever grass keeps appearing, but I don't really know all the possibilities that might erupt from that.

Whether it's worth the effort is going to be a matter of opinion. It's mostly just different so it's more novel, which I just need sometimes.

Devor posted:

If you use the Applied Energistics 'pattern' method, will it only shove a full 'recipe' worth of 1x each seed into the receiving chest if they're available? Or will it put 8 of the 9 seeds while it waits for the 9th to be available?

It should wait until they're all there and then do it. You raise a good point though on whether it'll export them all simultaneously. If so, then I don't have to regulate the biofuel reactor at all. And I could use an export bus with a crafting card set for 9 seeds to turn into some oddball junk and something else that just constantly requests that junk.

BadMedic posted:

I haven't tested it, but thinking about it a bit more you should be able to replace it with a Reinforced Filter and 9 Servos. Filters get the ability to limit items int the inventory at reinforced IIRC. A single Retriever is much cleaner though.

:shuckyes: I'll try that one later too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The reinforced filter works. On the AE2 side, I'm not sure what I can do. An ME interface to a chest with a pattern to output nine different seeds to, say, a sapling appears to output all nine items immediately at once. However, then I have to do something cute to tell the network that sapling was "made." I just tried an export bus for saplings set to always craft instead of use existing items. That wouldn't work because a real sapling wasn't actually being created. What I realize I should have tried was having a second export bus just keep running a sapling through a chest that would import the sapling afterwards and have it counted as "crafted." An alternative is an export bus with two capacity cards and two acceleration cards. I can't tell if it actually "immediately" exports nine seeds at once, but it sure is doing it quickly. I'd have to just do some trials with a reactor and see what that thinks of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
How about an interface that is set to keep all 9 ingredients in stock? Then you could just have a servo pulling out of the interface.