Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

It's mostly being mentioned because Forge isn't really an option for 1.14 [yet].

au contraire, there's a functioning Forge version for 1.14 and mods slowly updating to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Does Fabric have any 'Machine' mods?
grinders etc...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

dragonshardz posted:

au contraire, there's a functioning Forge version for 1.14 and mods slowly updating to it.

I'd be excited to try out 1.14, since base minecraft got quite a bit of new stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For Dungeons, Dragons and Space Shuttles, should I even bother mining/building, or is it completely a "get equipped and beat monsters up/bogart villages" mod? I'm starting off and god, there's a lot of poo poo in this. I don't wanna have to think too hard.

Also, why the gently caress does this take up 80% of my RAM!? I have 16 gigs, dammit!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 17, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is it feasible to use the ember bore in Volcano Block? I feel as though it might be difficult to get down to bedrock to place one, and it's possible there isn't any bedrock down there anyway.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

For Dungeons, Dragons and Space Shuttles, should I even bother mining/building, or is it completely a "get equipped and beat monsters up/bogart villages" mod? I'm starting off and god, there's a lot of poo poo in this. I don't wanna have to think too hard.

Also, why the gently caress does this take up 80% of my RAM!? I have 16 gigs, dammit!

lmao that explains why i can't even run it

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

While combat is a part of it, you still need a lot of resources. Also you don’t want to be caught out of a safe area (bunker in a protected chunk) during a blood moon. It is essentially an expert pack with mobs turned up to 11.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

lmao that explains why i can't even run it
Same, it's probably the most bloated and unoptimized pack I've ever seen. Which I get "we threw literally everything we could fit in there" is kinda the point but they also included so many unnecessary bells and whistles that it demolished any hope I had of playing it. Which, looking at some of the recipes, is probably a blessing in disguise.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The "all the mods" fad needs to stop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
All the mods fad is great actually, main issue is the stupid load times IMO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No, even if the load times were fixed, the sheer amount of crap in them overwhelms the player and gives them analysis paralysis out the rear end. Modpacks need to be more focused and better paced, instead of the usual crude kitchen sink approach. Otherwise, they're nearly impossible to both dive into and get hooked onto. I already have a day job, dammit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No idea where people are getting such bloated sizes from DD&SS as mine has been hovering ~10gb total used (with texture packs). It's also one of the fastest loading large packs I've played recently :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

No, even if the load times were fixed, the sheer amount of crap in them overwhelms the player and gives them analysis paralysis out the rear end. Modpacks need to be more focused and better paced, instead of the usual crude kitchen sink approach. Otherwise, they're nearly impossible to both dive into and get hooked onto. I already have a day job, dammit.
This is what ends up killing me on so many packs. I don't need six tech trees, five storage solutions and seven types of magic. I'd rather play something with a design concept besides "throw in all the stuff that always gets put in packs anyway."

I really wish there were more focused "here's how you just use these mods" packs. Break Out is okay, but it can be grindy, and as near as I can tell Enigmatica's tutorials are just "build this next" without telling you why you're doing it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i install a kitchensink modpack every year or two, play through the things that seem neat, then quit a month later. the less integration done by the modpack the better, since that often results in having to grind through mods 1 and 2 to get to mod 3, and if i don't enjoy those particular mods that's just annoying.

so far i've been having fun :shrug:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rynoto posted:

No idea where people are getting such bloated sizes from DD&SS as mine has been hovering ~10gb total used (with texture packs). It's also one of the fastest loading large packs I've played recently :shrug:

"i don't know why people think this is too large a pack, it's only using ten gigs of ram"

i veer away from kitchen sink modpacks but never really feel like i'm hurting for stuff to play with, so i think the balance is alright. my only desire is a solid progression pack that uses the more recent thaumcraft that isn't Interactions (or GregTech at all. I gave that a shot and boy is it just kind of exhausting for too long for me to get anywhere)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Patware posted:

"i don't know why people think this is too large a pack, it's only using ten gigs of ram"

Even small packs nowadays expect you to be able to use 8gb. It's a problem, sure, but not one that can be easily solved just due to the nature of how mods work and how forge integrates things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Even small packs nowadays expect you to be able to use 8gb. It's a problem, sure, but not one that can be easily solved just due to the nature of how mods work and how forge integrates things.

Volcano Block uses 3gb.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah I've played some pretty large/ambitious packs that use like 3-5gb. 10 is definitely way over the average.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I much prefer focused packs myself, if I just want to play with some mods that seem cool I don't need to download a pack that might have those and might have some other stuff I can just toss some files in a mods folder and call it done. If someone specifically builds a pack for consumption there should be a point than just a faster way to download every popular mod that also happens to take most of the day to load and run poorly.

With that said I've been playing DD&SS, since I will put up with a lot to play a minecraft pack that actually is a minecraft pack where you mine and craft, that has exploration and things to use your tools and Astral perk nonsense on, instead of one chunk of cobblestone you scatter machines atop to build Widget #1-#49,998,871 until I get bored and quit.

I actually totally don't mind the tool recipes or machines or the artisan workshops, ironically, but the pack is slowly turning me against it by demanding I do things like build RFTools storage modules to make... storage drawers upgrades. :shrug: I'm getting the sense the pack is less about exploration and more about wasting my time with the way it punishes convenience, which is a drat shame. I had to cheat in a builder's wand because apparently 'constructing cool structures in less than half a day' is too OP to come before the end of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I actually don't really have any other source of "cool focused modpacks to check out" besides this thread and the Featured list on the Twitch downloader.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just make your own. Play your way.

There are standouts, but most modpack "integration" usually ends at a few config edits and a grammatically questionable questbook anyway.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So boolyman, the author of Craft of the Titans, is coming out with a really very neat sounding pack soon: a skyblock-esque playstyle pack in a world that's 0-255y ocean. Featuring my current favourite mod: Better Diving, which introduces Subnautica mechanics and features to Minecraft.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/cqw0xl/the_upcoming_seablock_rustic_waters_pack/

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

So boolyman, the author of Craft of the Titans, is coming out with a really very neat sounding pack soon: a skyblock-esque playstyle pack in a world that's 0-255y ocean. Featuring my current favourite mod: Better Diving, which introduces Subnautica mechanics and features to Minecraft.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/cqw0xl/the_upcoming_seablock_rustic_waters_pack/

Oh neat. I played a little bit of a pack like that, that starts you underwater with terrain generation, but it was kindof boring. This looks much more interesting.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Bitchin! Craft of the Titans 1&2 were super fun.

To jump in the discussion, kitchen sink packs are usually awful because there's no effort put in past getting the mods to cooperate and load. A good kitchen sink pack guides you through the mods, not just how to do it but why. Half the packs I try are just a messy chain of mod features with no quest text and a generic lovely reward.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Black Pants posted:

This looks so good. I do not think I have been this excited for a Minecraft modpack since Blightfall.

content edit: like, the biggest problem with Craft of the Titans was how it was ostensibly about exploration but after the first few dungeons and a Nether trip mostly turned into a skyblock, it was otherwise a really well put together pack*. A multi-dimension pack built to be quasi-skyblock at first but expand into exploration with an emphasis on a core environmental challenge - the best kind of challenge Minecraft has - is like taking all the problems Craft of the Titans faced and inverting them to become good. This could be super awesome.

* - except for that one nether mob mod that added the infinite swarms of noclip reapers that spammed nausea

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 18, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the biggest problems that Minecraft mods have is that they focus too much on craft and not enough on mine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlondRobin posted:

I actually totally don't mind the tool recipes or machines or the artisan workshops, ironically, but the pack is slowly turning me against it by demanding I do things like build RFTools storage modules to make... storage drawers upgrades. :shrug: I'm getting the sense the pack is less about exploration and more about wasting my time with the way it punishes convenience, which is a drat shame. I had to cheat in a builder's wand because apparently 'constructing cool structures in less than half a day' is too OP to come before the end of the game.
The way people gate storage options in packs blows my goddamn mind. All you're doing is making it easier to find items I already own. Why do I need six nether stars and three stacks of ender pearls and a hundred little sub-crafting widgets from other mods just so I can slightly streamline my giant room full of double chests?
I'm sure if Quark features could be gated by mods, they'd have slapped a huge pricetag onto the "sort to nearby chests" button in a heartbeat.

Pollyanna posted:

One of the biggest problems that Minecraft mods have is that they focus too much on craft and not enough on mine.
To be fair a big part of that is that vanilla Minecraft is really loving boring underground and mining hasn't changed in any remotely significant way since, like, 2010.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vib Rib posted:

To be fair a big part of that is that vanilla Minecraft is really loving boring underground and mining hasn't changed in any remotely significant way since, like, 2010.

That’s what mods are for yo. Also worldgen etc.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

That’s what mods are for yo. Also worldgen etc.

Yeah, like, Vanilla crafting also hasn't changed since 2010: there's a few new things you can make but your options are still 'lay things out in a grid' or 'slam things into a furnace with (fuel).' There's lots of ways you could probably make mining a lot more fun- make the entire underground a massive cavern where movement and light projection is more important than being able to displace the largest number of blocks at once?- but attempts to mess with mining and such are way rarer than random unfinished tech mods.

...I do wonder how much of that is an indication that some of the worst code is the worldgen code, making it the hardest to manipulate, though. I've definitely seen some cool areas like this- the Betweenlands underground is basically one interconnected cave system, for example, and it's great- but it might just be an area of modding where either you get extremely good at it or you just don't dare touch it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really like how Thaumcraft adds some sort of new stuff to mining with the Vis Crystals. Gives it the sense that the mod isn’t just a bunch of lovely recipes.

I would actually love to talk worldgen mods. That one mod where everything was split up into a hex grid of biomes was super cool looking, and I remember hating about a better cave gen mod. One of the most dissatisfying things in Minecraft is going down a long cave and discovering that it terminates at a blank wall of stone and diorite and maybe a little coal. I hate it and I wish the game didn’t waste my time with that poo poo.

More structures, including underground structures, would be dope as gently caress too. I think that’s Recurrent Complex?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, resource gathering tends to be tedious because it's seldom seen as the game and functions as the gateway to the game. Getting any resource in minecraft boils down to chance and pursuing that chance until you get what you want.

The reason skyblock style packs are so fun is because they integrate resource acquisition into the crafting portion of the game. Even if an expert pack has heavily gated progression on the resource side of things, it still boils down to "get a good enough pickaxe, go find it and mine it". There's no minigame to prospect for ores, no signs or indicators to follow to the prize, no way to know if the cave or chunk or biome has what you need. There's no pocket of gas that requires a shaft to the surface to allow mining, or ore that's full of ghosts that hunt you until you smelt it, or wood that reverses gravity while you hold it forcing you to get home on the ceiling or with a grappling hook.

Of course even really interesting resources can still turn into tedium. Ugh, I need another load of ghost ore for this new item? Resources are always the intermediate on the way to whatever goal item you have in mind. Even the coolest gimmick gets old the tenth or hundredth time (Lookin' at you Thaumcraft research). The best approach is usually to phase resource collection out as a reward for progress. Autominers, spontaneous generation, or resource conversion all make the player feel good about their progression because they're bypassed tedium with investment.

Besides, getting things just isn't as fun as making things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was an old modpack I had that changed mining in that you could eventually craft a thing that, like, was a "mine cannon". It'd turn a big chunk of the area in front of you(like 6x6 iirc) and turn them all into blocks to pick up each use. I have no idea what it was called or what modpack it was though, unfortunately. It made mining faster and you could make a long tunnel in basically no time at all too.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

(...) getting things just isn't as fun as making things.

yeah comrade, who likes mining in a cave. no one. literally no one could ever like that part of the game.

And to head off your next complaints, most of the aspects in DRG could be, or already have been, modded into the game, and no, the combat engine in minecraft is not irredeemable trash. You may not like it and that is a fair opinion, and you may not like resource gathering, but actually, going around in a dark tunnel mining bits can in fact be fun enough to sustain an entire game on its own, where the only building is menus to select upgrades for a gun.

there's literally no reason the mining part of minecraft could not be improved significantly.

Also, fun fact:

SynthesisAlpha posted:

no signs or indicators to follow to the prize, no way to know if the cave or chunk or biome has what you need. There's no pocket of gas that requires a shaft to the surface to allow mining, or ore that's full of ghosts that hunt you

these are all literally mods that exist. Sevtech has rocks on the overworld indicating where minerals are, I've played a modpack that added gas pockets that you had to work around, and haunted ores and such exists in countless kinds across nether mods from stuff that spawns nethermites to other nonsense; I don't think there's literally something that haunts you specifically until you smelt it, but none of these concepts can't be done and many are.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Specifically the overworld rocks are from Geolosys, I'm pretty sure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Besides, getting things just isn't as fun as making things.

Says you. Mining and dungeon-diving and amassing rare materials and exploring new structures and parts of the world is the fun part for me. I would love more ores, gemstones, etc.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Captain Invictus posted:

There was an old modpack I had that changed mining in that you could eventually craft a thing that, like, was a "mine cannon". It'd turn a big chunk of the area in front of you(like 6x6 iirc) and turn them all into blocks to pick up each use. I have no idea what it was called or what modpack it was though, unfortunately. It made mining faster and you could make a long tunnel in basically no time at all too.

That item sorta sounds like the Destruction Catalyst from Equivalent Exchange/ProjectE.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I decided to try out the FTB unstable and installed it on MultiMC. When I attempt to launch it I get this error;

quote:

Instance update failed because: Component metadata update task failed while downloading from remote server:
Job 'Download of meta file net.minecraftforge/28.0.46.json' failed to process:
https://meta.multimc.org/v1/net.minecraftforge/28.0.46.json

No clue why ... I visited the url minus the 28.0.46.json and there's a file there without a 1.14 reference. Could that be stopping it?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Says you. Mining and dungeon-diving and amassing rare materials and exploring new structures and parts of the world is the fun part for me. I would love more ores, gemstones, etc.

Yeah those things are fun, but are they the end goal? Do you just hang your shiny gems on a wall and call it a day? My whole point is that in a game where resource acquisition and expenditure are both key gameplay elements, the acquisition process often feels tedious because it ends up being a stepping stone to more interesting goals. If all you want to do is fight the ender dragon and explore the end, the process of farming ender eyes and finding a stronghold can be really frustrating.

If the game is all about mining, if that's the end goal, then mining stays fun. Like in Steamworld Dig because there's a light puzzle element, and you cash that ore in on perks and such and get right back into mining and exploring. Even Terraria, with all the crafting and building and boss fighting keeps mining fresh by having a ton of valuable loot and by improving your mobility and mining ability as you progress.

But yeah, says me. I like crafting and gated progression and skyblocks and automation. I don't love the resource gathering as much. Hexxit was super fun and I had a blast crawling ice fortresses and pirate ships and poo poo. But I played that for like a week and then I felt like I saw everything. I prefer to sit in my base running around making stuff and extending my crafting chain and solving automation puzzles.

Some of us want Deep Rock Galactic, some of us want Factorio.

Actually that reminds me of Warhammer 40k:Blood & Iron, which was a neat modpack for questing and killing demons and had some tech-mod stuff thrown in.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

(...) the acquisition process often feels tedious because it ends up being a stepping stone to more interesting goals (...)

yeah

yeah that's definitely a problem with the process itself and not a function of game design

i mean, you can't make the creation process a worthless set of stepping stones that ends up subverting th-

one moment, I- yes, I am getting word in from sources that GregTech still exists? hm, and it has- oh, oh my that is a lot of literal stepping stones to more interesting goals

I mean, people like GregTech, and that's fine, but the perfunctory nature of mining has less to do with it being actually perfunctory by nature than you think. If you're not a fan of the 'mining' part, that's cool, but it isn't any more inherently perfunctory than the 'crafting' part which originally was the ability to build a small number of tools and utility items.

The best part of (modded) minecraft, IMO, is the way your exploration and your crafting naturally create objectives for eachother. Oh, I need some copper, I should make a pick and go in. Oh, I've explored all of the easy caves near me, I need to build a better transport device. Oh, I need to go to Tough Dimension, I'd better make a cool sword and a base there I can fall back to. Oh, I need Cool Reinforcer #77 to make blocks that the Tough Dimension mobs won't blow up. In that sense, I think that most mods have too many things to build and not enough reason to build them.

I liked Factorio too*, but you're trying to turn your personal preference into a fundamental truth about minecraft. I like DRG, but I like minecraft because it combines both elements. After DD&SS spawned a literal creeper in my fully lit, locked storeroom next to my chests I looked at the other popular adventure mod but it had nothing to do when you got back, and seemed like it would just be randomly visiting dimensions until you get bored.

It's totally cool to like skyblocks, but they aren't some inherent truth to minecraft.

* - I liked Factorio until I realized the game wanted you to just backup infinite items on every conveyor belt. I wanted to build a JIT factory with minimal redundant I/O but it really just wants to be a much more mechanical setup, at least when I played it, and I am far too particular to let items sit unused on my conveyor belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Besides Dungeons, Dragons, and Space Ships what are the current big adventuring packs? Only got 12 GB of RAM so that one kicked my computer's rear end.