Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

but you also have this poo poo coming for you on the overworld

Mother of God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Enzer posted:

Pretty much, there was a bunch of hooting from a few devs that the new blockstate.json stuff was going to result in gigs work of files for things like tubes or complex blocks, Lex of Forge basically said that they are all idiots if they think that. The dev behind Thaumcraft was pretty firmly in the anti-1.8 group, but has started work on his 1.8 version and Thaumcraft pulls a lot of different graphical poo poo so if that mod can update to 1.8 intact, a good deal of the rest of them can and its more a matter, for the majority of mods, of time and effort. I don't expect every mod to update because some people just don't want to gently caress with it, but we are already starting to see brand new mods that are filling in feature gaps from the more massive mods that are missing. For example DrCyano has a mod called Power Advantage that has a very simplified item conveyers () which can pull items from inventories and push filtered items into other inventories, fluid machines () which can drain water from an above source, transport and either insert it into storage or an accepting machine or eject the water out into the world, and a steam powered base machine setup that involves producing steam to power what is essentially a macerator and a 3 slot fast processing furnace. . Power Advantage shows that what a lot of people were worried about in regards to ,json issues are perfectly doable.

Ok, so, maybe I'm just stupid about this stuff but..wouldn't skipping 1.8 present the exact same issue as converting to 1.8? I'm not aware of any system changes they made in 1.8 that are going away in 1.9, so they would still have to convert everything anyway.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azanor posted:

4) Alembic have been, to put it simply, nerfed. They didn't really need a nerf, but as things work now it didn't really fit with the new system.

Hahaha what the christ.

"I couldn't be hosed to come up with a solution, so I nerfed it lol"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

How do you get into the Bio-dome underwater if you didn't start there? Just break in?

The biodomes should really come with at least a door-sized section of ineffable glass, my only real complaint about them

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nevermind Slime for crossbows, use a Signalum limb. Much better draw speed and extremely fast arrow speed once it's all put together.

I mean, if you can get signalum to spare

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Threep posted:

If you're okay with adding mods to Blightfall, AE2Stuff has an inscriber that is much less annoying to use, a crystal growth chamber that you can use instead of water crafting and in the alpha version, a wireless ME connector for use over short distances and this crazy visualization aid:

What the gently caress even is that visual of?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The bone-crunching sound of growing blooms every time I teleport back to the planet is starting to wear on my sanity.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

also approach the floating city from the north as that's where the beacon is, also there is something really nice there :q:

Thirsty Thursdays at the Ole Taint Tendril Pub?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

Warp would be neat if it was just cosmetic stuff, but dying in 30 seconds because you got Unnatural Hunger IV and there's not really any good ways to get rotten flesh is stupid bullshit!

Not dying to complete bullshit while grinding your face against unintuitive, undocumented, or intentionally obtuse mechanics goes against The Minecraft Modders Vision.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So, what's the word on this immersive Engineering mod? It looks really interesting, like a less BS IC2 with a much better aesthetic at first glance, but how's it perform?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

I've been considering bringing it back for a little while, but I want to do something different because it's been too samey for a while. I'm planning to take a closer look at the immersive engineering mod that was just mentioned once I play through blightfall. If it's good I'll probably start building a pack around it.

It certainly LOOKS pleasing but it would be nice to see how it impacts the server

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

quote:

-Metal removed from Grilled Cheese

Thank gently caress for that, you'll be handling the oral surgeon bills right?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you have the resources to spare to make a Signalum Crossbow Limb, I'd say go for it. You'll have to bolster the durability with a Flux Cap, but the base arrow speed and draw time are worth it.

Note that this is shown without crossbow bolts in my inventory, damage is 18 hearts with unmodified iron/iron/feather bolts.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

McFrugal posted:

It's a bit faster than regular string, but also a bit weaker. Flamestring is the opposite.

A Flux Cap? I tried putting a capacitor on one of my tools and it didn't work at all.

They're gated by the durability of the tool, now. Lower durability tools can only take smaller fcaps.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That's the cutest golem dance

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can't believe that we've reached the point in the modding life cycle where people are beginning to forget that the reason we moved away from the Old Way of doing power wasn't that it was slightly complicated but that it was just straight up completely loving unfun.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bigperm posted:

Engines exploding is off by default, there is no perdition (energy loss) any more (it is an experimental feature you can turn on)... what dumber mechanics are you talking about?

lol, only in minecraft mods could something that's been with a mod for as long as it has existed be labeled 'experimental'

Anyway, weren't there TE tubes that let you see things passing through them?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BrightGreenLine posted:

It appears Taffer has a bone to pick with KingLemming over EnderIO. Turns out the exchange you're talking about was prompted from Taffer claiming that EIO was faster/less buggy in the previous thread, and KingLemming responded in the previous thread.

No mention of him giving them the code, but an acknowledgement that there really is only one good way to skin that cat.

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but I went ahead and got the pocket edition for a nice bed time game. Are there any mods for it like build craft or industrial or whatever? Anything with quarries and/or ore multipliers? More curious than anything. Doubt these exist but figured I'd ask anyway.

No Mods, No Masters

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

Is there an interesting/entertaining modded MC LP I can watch in the background that isn't direwolf? I don't really care what modpack or whatever it is.

If being constantly angry because the players fail at the simplest of tasks while beautifully showcasing how needlessly unintuitive mods are sustains your very being, then any of the modded MC series with Simon and Lewis

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

They recently 'finished' lovely spergy HQM pack Blast Off and are now working on lovely spergy HQM pack Journey to the Core over on Duncan's channel, and Sjin's channel (same crew) has their Druidz serieseses

I'd watch the former two if only to hear Lewis completely unravel over time

I just recently worked through the Jaffa Factory->Moon Quest->Jaffa Quest->Hole Diggers->Deep Space Mine line and jesus christ Lewis' descent into insanity is almost as impressive as their complete inability to learn a goddamn thing

He does it to himself, honestly. He's completely unreliable when it comes to what to do but asserts his lack of knowledge with such authority

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just had to point out how crazy this reads if the reader has zero context.

There's nothing strange about 7 people sleeping together in a ritual to bring about the morning

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Serifina posted:

No, and it's not looking likely anytime soon. Chickenbones, as far as I've heard, has had stuff going on, keeping him away from modding. Just Enough Items is a replacement for recipe lookup and item spawning (and has lots of mod integration, also a JEIaddons exists) If you want the old f7 light level display, get the Just What I Needed mod. The mouse wheel item movement can be replicated with Mouse Tweaks. The other stuff that NEI did, I don't know of a replacement yet.

What mod do i install to make JEI not look like hot poo poo?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey, I know! Baby's First Space Race needs an item that players can craft from virtually nothing that can send them back to the tutorial dimension. Hmm, well, let's look this up. Okay then, time to write code for an item, a texture, tie it all up with assets, names, blablabla. Oh yes, and the crafting recipes. Okay, let's take it for a spin! What could possibly go wrong?

Well, other than the alpha channel screwing up on the texture the first time and using the wrong file name when I made the texture, the code all worked perfectly fine the first time.

I tried to make the item look like a wooden rattle with a rocket on the end, but it just looks like a dong. That's what I screwed up. Big time.

Maybe :nws:?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

What's the bleeding-edge modpack of choice these days?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

What's the bleeding-edge modpack of choice these days?

So, are there any, or are they all still do-it-yourself right now?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bigperm posted:

Your best bet is probably All the Mods.

Got drat this thing is a mess. Takes 20 minutes to load the game and stutters for 5 seconds every 4 seconds.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 26, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cerepol posted:

If anyone is interested with Better with Mods

Vazkii made a smallish modpack focused on a smooth progression of sorts called Proton

Does Better with Mods still require you to be a gross creep to and about wolves to get anything done or has that reject's legacy been scoured from this remake?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fortis posted:

You can disable dung in the config, and tree bark works to tan leather instead (even if you don't disable it). I think the wolf cube is possible to make but it's not needed for anything.

Edit: I actually went looking on the BTW Wiki for all the psychotic poo poo I heard was in the mod, like wolves needing to be locked in the dark or tied to racks to force breeding, and I couldn't find anything about it outside of "if a wolf gets sucked into a block dispenser it becomes a companion cube" and "you can cut the companion cube into slabs on the saw". So I don't know if he removed a bunch of weird bullshit or what but overall it wasn't anywhere close to as extreme as I was expecting.

As I recall from when he was briefly relevant, the wiki got left fairly 'normal' but he'd go on at gleeful length on his forums, or in chat channels, or in minecraft forum posts about torturing wolves and dressing farm animals up in gimp suits and poo poo in the mod.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

Hey guys I'm bored and I have a fresh amount of free time on my hands. Is there enough interest in an MC server for me to make one? 1.10 probably unless I get frustrated with the lack of certain things (RIP BR, cofhcore, and Opis)

YES PLEASE

I am incapable of playing anything single player MC without cheating anymore, and as much as your balance choices cause me some frustration you make drat good setups for scratching that modded itch

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

WH 40K Modpack trip report: Playing on anything but peaceful is impossible, as mobs stand around doing nothing and attacks do nothing until they all do all at once, but no other lag or rubberbanding occurs. just with mobs.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nevermind I'm a dipshit

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you stare at this long enough it becomes a magic eye puzzle in which lies the face of god

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

I tried the same map, and then I opened a common loot bag and the starting base exploded? And then I quit.

"Rewards are a great place to add game-ending disasters at high rates! Hilarious!" is exactly why I just quit playing questbook maps.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh wait, I think I remember hearing about that ages ago. Or was it a different mod that gave the mod author insane privileges on other people's servers?

There have been one or two mods that gave people server backdoors, admin privs, or even player blacklists

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That's a good dog.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Threep posted:

RIP Thaumcraft

Well, someone can just pick up work on it thanks to Open Sou..oh

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

That reminds me, has Microsoft made back it's 1 BILLION dollars yet?

[edit] If there was a summer blockbuster staring [insert fave actor here] that was sort of like Cast Away only the dude has to punch trees and kill pigs and builds a mudhut....then the sun goes down and things start coming out of the shadows...!

I'd loving watch it.

Fun Fact: They bought MC to avoid having to pay the MAXIMUM TAXES on that money transferring it to the states, and Minecraft has likely made up at least that much for them so far.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Taffer posted:

hmmm, saying a piece of software is "not bad" is apparently sucking the dick of an unrelated and never mentioned person

okay

Who the gently caress even was slowpoke again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SMP posted:

I've been out of the modding scene for a few years, what's the scene like now? I'm thinking about bringing back my formerly reasonably popular texture pack and was hoping to start a Patreon or something. Is that blasé? Monetization was a big controversy back in the day with ad links and such. I don't know how receptive people would be towards a Patreon (or if it would even be effective).

Hell yeah, get paid for your art