Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
edit : whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As far as interesting modpacks go, I've been messing around with Material Energy^4 and Galactic Science and have been having a pretty good time with them.

Material Energy 4, which does some really interesting things with AE2's spatial IO system (which I hadn't really been aware of before this mod). Spatial IO lets you take a HUGE area of space (I think the main spatial area is at least 58x58x58 if not more) and store it in an AE disk. Press a button, and everything within a defined area vanishes, going into the disk, monsters and animals (and possibly players, I can't tell in single player) included. Swap another disk in, press a button, and suddenly that area is completely different. ME4 gives you a hub with all the parts to immediately set up a basic AE system with a crafting terminal and a few 1k disks, as well as a box full of enderIO parts and other misc. goodies, a bigreactor already stuffed full of yellorium (no coolant or turbine, though you find a massive cryotheum lake in the second spatial dungeon), and a minechem laboratory with an already built fusion and fission reactor (though they aren't hooked up to anything or functional yet, you need to finish hooking them up and setting up the infastructure). It's also chock full with a ridiculous amount of hidden treasure everywhere, it encourages you to break everything and look everywhere to find hidden goodies - even just random blocks on the walls/floor are actually disguised boxes with random reward bags in them.

The main gimmick is that you start off with a single disc for a basic dungeon that gives you the materials you need to get started, and if you can find the space-time wool at the end of each dungeon, turning in the quest that wants it will give you another disk for another spatial IO dungeon with a different theme and different materials you might need. They're stuffed with a lot of real difficult enemies that you need to clear out and fill the whole place with torches to actually turn it into a usable area you can return to regularly for the valuable resources there, and a lot of it seems to be finding ways to cheese them, since they're rather nasty compared to vanilla versions of the same mobs and in pretty huge numbers.

For example, it gives you a self-replenishing lake of cryotheum early on, and one thing you can do is fill florbs with them and use cryotheum grenades to clear out enemies, or using ineffable glass which is solid to enemies and projectiles, but not you, to murder everything with a ranged attack. You can also find side-dungeons from random reward bags as well as side quests or hidden in various chests throughout the dungeons. It's kinda brutally hard solo, but might be better with a small group on multiplayer.

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my world on that like ten hours in in when I was messing with the curse client (dammit Curse) and have been too :effort: to redo it all.

Galactic Science is like some weird hybrid of Galacticraft and a skyblock (I've never played Galacticraft before this mod, though). You start on the moon instead of earth (the earth's uninhabitable and can't be visited), and the moon doesn't have ore, instead you have Ex Nihilo like a skyblock, however moon turf/dirt/rock works in a sifter like sand/dirt/gravel respectively, so, combined with minechem (you can turn one obsidian into 16 dirt or 16 gravel), and almost immediately getting an extra utilities cobblegen from a quest, it lets you skip the composting/dirt farm phase almost entirely. It has a bunch of unusual mods I had never really gotten into before (Minechem, RFtools, Refined Relocation, Modular Systems, EnderIO, Nuclear Reactors(not big reactors) Ultra Massive Tech, etc.) as well as a bunch of galacticraft addons that apparently add a lot more planets and content.
However, getting the actual rocket ship off the moon has been pretty slow for me since it pushes you to start setting up a ton of automation hard, and I'm new enough to modded minecraft on top of being unfamiliar with a lot of these mods that I'm bad and slow at automation, so I still haven't seen most of it. Still, from what I've seen it's pretty interesting.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 26, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I liked ME^4 until the second half of the game where the new maps are just old maps with new types of blocks replacing old ones... and spawners everywhere. One of the maps has spawners with huge range that cause noticeable stuttering. Oh also almost all of the secret item blocks are in completely random locations around the base. Just random spots in walls. It's stupid and lazy.

ME^3 is faaaaar better designed.

I looked this one up and it's still under active development so I'm gonna wait on it.

Oh, that's a shame - does ME^3 have spatial IO? The concept is so novel I wish more mods messed with it. I also liked the compact machines that let you fit 12x12x12 rooms in single blocks in Obscurity but actually getting anywhere in that mod is unbearable.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Sure does! ME^3 more heavily relies on Minechem, too.

Where do you get the official version of ^3 anyway? Curse doesn't seem to have it, do I need to go download the FTB launcher too?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Started trying Regrowth - it seems real neat already. The somewhat different recipes and methods for doing things, the large variety of unusual and more dangerous monsters, and the surprisingly cool looking new plants and saplings i found when I used mutandis added up to make things surprisingly novel real fast.
It has bees, though, which the completely unanimous hate for has prevented me from ever touching, but maybe I should give it a try here for once.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've never actually messed with a modpack before, only ran them as is - Regrowth is really neat but no minimap is really, really unpleasant and Bibliocraft atlases are terrible without real waypoints or death markers and confusing disjointed maps. Is it possible to add a minimap mod to a modpack world in progress? The lack of a minimap has pretty much made it so it's completely unsafe for me to leave my walled in obsessively lit compound, because the few times I try to explore further and end up getting killed I can't find my grave again without creative mode and digging in logs which isn't exactly how I'd like to be doing things.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

I thought not specifying would default to temporary warp

what the hell is the default, sticky for some ungodly reason?

When you get warp it tells you that you got 'warp' and 'permanent warp' - temporary isn't very common, so warp is by default sticky, I suppose.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Taffer posted:

Obscurity seems to. I'm familiar with almost all the mods so I'm kinda skipping around the questlines but it seems like it guides you through building all the basics with all the major mods, including BR, TE, EnderIO, Thaumcraft, and AE2 and others. Botania and blood magic are not in it though. It has waaaayyyyyyyy more quests than Blightfall. Blightfall kinda held your hand through the first couple hours and then was like "figure it out" with a couple pointers. Obscurity gives you tons of quests along the way.

Generally ores are common in the modpack (it's based in the deep dark) but a ton of stuff is gated behind a custom ore from the pack and it carries a similar feeling of oppression and a hostile world that Blightfall does. It's really difficult to light up areas and if you're in the dark too long you'll start taking damage. Really fast.

Compact machines is a staple of the pack but I'd avoid overusing them if you play it. Popping in and out of compact machines constantly, while really nifty and cool, starts to make your client lag like crazy in no time

Obscurity might be neat with a group, but as a solo experience, especially for people who aren't super familiar with the mods, it's a miserable death-fest unless you know what you're doing. I'm not sure it's a good idea for a modpack as a way to learn how to use mods - most of my early experience was getting knocked down the pit and losing all my items when trying to dig up loot or having lava creatures oneshot me, while trying to futilely slab every single place a monster could spawn, or getting skeletoned to death while trying to chop down a single tree near your useless interdiction torch.

Honestly, encouraging players to work near the pit for easy mining only to have it to be an item-loss death trap seems like a big part of the problem of the early game though. It'd be fine if every single goddamn drop of magma didn't spawn turbodeath magma monsters though (I tried walling off the top of the pit only to be unpleasantly surprised when the magma monsters showed up inside it).

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As far as encouraging people to explore more, I really like the fixed-size, finite world of Blightfall with pre-seeded goodies and hidden things everywhere. Even if it was random, I honestly think that any pack with the goal of having content to progress through and explore rather than just be a giant lego canvas would probably do better with a finite world with a higher density of dungeon-like structures and interesting biomes. For example, on Regrowth right now I sit in my little base right now for pretty much ever, since although random structures and such can generate, in an infinitely large borderless world they are all most likely in the rear end end of nowhere a 30 minute walk among almost-identical wastelands away. It's just not worth the effort to explore the dangerous, skeleton infested wastelands for essentially complete gambling that will most likely give you crap. You could easily make the world a bit bigger than blightfall, but having specific regions laid out in a sensible manner with a rough world map visible made exploring and treasure hunting more enjoyable.

From there, you'd want to make each region to give you some sort of resource that would give you a reason to go there repeatedly. As much as dangerous worlds are nice, having a base is nice too and so is not losing all your items when block destroying mobs fall in - so the best way is to force people to go out rather than stay in. Making monsters that are difficulty to trap easily via teleportation or walking through blocks is probably better than actually destroying blocks.

As far as resources that force people to leave their bases, there's a couple of maybe options - you could have a planet with a hostile atmosphere or deep space or the void where you need to go out and collect difficult or impossible to automate resources to keep the air supply running OR alternatively some sort of resource that kept unpleasant and dangerous monsters from swarming your base. Another possible path you could take is to lock key resources to moving up your 'tech tree' so to speak in different regions, that become renewable once you get past that initial challenge.

In the case of something like Blightfall, you could make cleaning the world more interesting while simultaneously encouraging more exploration by having partially pre-built but broken/powerless giant multiblock dawn machine/dungeons that you have to seek out, clean out of baddies, and fix to finish cleaning that whole region of blight all at once once you've gotten past the hurdle of clearing out and repairing a giant machine instead of methodically combing back and forth with a dawn machine. The best part of Blightfall was the exploring bit so making blightfall be part of that might be cool. Plus, you'd have larger clean regions earlier instead of taint cleaning being almost entirely pointless until the very end.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 6, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

President Ark posted:

I feel like a good expansion on blightfall's concept of "a fixed world that you explore for goodies" might be a mystcraft modpack where there's a main "puzzle world" that's made mostly out of indestructible blocks you solve puzzles on in order to gain access to books containing worlds that you can actually interact with.

This sounds very Material Energy but I like the whole idea anyway, so, yeah.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Galactic science was ALMOST good for me, but it got EXTREMELY grindy just to get off the moon and I ended up losing interest. All the mods are really neat so it's kind of disappointing, though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Eschers Basement posted:

You could also use it to cut through Thaumcraft stupidity - have completed research and fragments available in dungeons, making it so you can skip the terrible research game if you explore instead.

Another thought - maybe combining what others have said about fixing machinery - maybe there's no natural power generation in the world (so like Blightfall without Botania) but fixing up the Old Machines will generate RF from a source near your starting location? Make it a tech heavy pack instead of magic, and so how much automation you do become dependent on how many Old Machines you've been able to fix.

Ooh, that's a good idea, and works with a lot more settings than Blightfall style taint-removal.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Thyrork posted:

That'd go nicely with my earlier burble about a "Fallout / SWTOR Taris" style ruined yet technologically advanced world.

You want power? Small scale generators do still exist, and so does the ruins of the power grid. You might be able to tap into the latter and drain whatever dredges are left but you really need to find and fix up that local reactor.

Oh, good job hero! You fixed the reactor. Unfortunately the hardened power lines leading to one of the nearby automated military bases are still running. The Kill-Bots are coming. :stare:

My first thought reading that is how tricky it would be to prevent players from sabotaging an automated killbot factory before the power turned on. You just know people would have the whole place set up to gib the monsters and suck up the loot the moment the first killbot spawned. You'd have to use unbreakable blocks to keep them out or do something clever.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Uh what? It's never been a problem for me because I bring enough fuel for the return trip, do other people not do this?

Galactic science starts you on the moon :ssh:. Do you mean some other modpack? Getting enough metal to make a tier 2 rocket ship (overworld is not visitable) with ex nihilo is pure torture. I think it's what, at least 40+ tier 2 heavy duty plates, with each heavy duty plate being 2 steel plates, 2 bronze plates, 2 aluminum plates, and then the steel plates having to be manually compressed one by one in a slow compressor from iron plates and coal, (and the iron plates being made from 2 ingots each in the same), and bronze plates being one tin plate and one copper plate, while having to manually hammer every single bit of ex nihilo ore pieces down to dust in case you might get a few more ingots, because you don't have the metal to make an autohammerer or the power to be able to justify running it, and you having no pulverizer or anything better than a vanilla furnace since all the good stuff is locked behind metal from mars.

The annoying thing is it looks like it might get really neat if you can bite the bullet and power on through it (i've never touched Galacticraft or Minechem or RFtools or enderIO before this modpack), but goddamn.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 7, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Magres posted:

Either way you go, please god have keep inventory set to true. Losing your poo poo on death is awful and would be doubly awful if it means you no longer have the suit you need to get to the spot where you died.

I've never had anything but unfun frustration from item loss on death that just makes me either want to creative mode to get to my stuff or just stop playing if I died anywhere too difficult to get my stuff back from and couldn't creative mode it back. The best way to avoid danger from it is to micromanage your inventory in an annoying way and never carry anything valuable but the bare minimum which is just exasperating. Blightfall's reputation system was definitely a good idea.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

twilight forest is a really good mod in general and has some good ideas going for it. i'm not sure if it's completed, though, as the last time i blazed through it i ran into a wall once i got past the thorny vines surrounding the gigantic castle. there was nothing to be found as far as i could tell.

I keep hearing about twilight forest - what's the best way to play it? by itself? Is there a modpack for the best experience?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So are any other recent HQM packs worth playing? People have said Obscurity is okay if you have friends or know the mods pretty well.
Also I guess I didn't realize Crash Landing never updated for 1.7.? Huh.

I'm seeing a few others get a lot of mention (though not in this thread), mostly with popularity on the FTB launcher. Banished, Refuge, Hubris, and Void World to name a few. Anyone know if these are even worth loading?

Have you tried Regrowth? It's got one of the more cohesive modpack experiences I've played, the author has put a lot of effort into tying botania, witchery, thaumcraft, blood magic, agricraft, and magical crops together and making them interdependent. I've barely even touched Mekanism/Railcraft/Buildcraft/Mariculture/Forestry in it, (it lets you kinda pick which 'tech tree' you want to progress up) but they seem like they've got a similar interdependency thing going on too.

I'm curious about the others you mentioned too, though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I found Banished to be very unconventional and in desperate need of config changes. All the really annoying mobs in specialmobs are active, and Geists are really annoying too since they spawn right on top of mobs you kill and poo poo poorly-implemented shadowfire everywhere when they die. For once, the Lycanites Mobs present don't feel entirely out of place since you're in a non-vanilla dimension, but they still look ugly as hell.

Banished also forces you to get Aura Cascade crafting up and running before you can use any of the Ars Magica spells it throws at you. The quest progression is kindof hosed up.

Hubris is... kindof boring? The main problem I had with it is the severe lack of food early on due to lacking easy access to passive mobs and space to farm things in. Also taking taint damage makes you hungry, so if you go exploring overland early on you're gonna starve, which is weird because it's supposed to be a pack that encourages exploration?

VVVVVVVVVVVV
I haven't gotten started with it at all in Banished. All I've done is read up on it and watch a video, and it's a really weird sort of puzzle/industrial mod, where you need vertical space to get the most out of the resources you use to craft things. The advanced aura colors do different things which can be used to increase your efficiency, or something? Anyway I wouldn't compare it to Thaumcraft. You make everything in the mod yourself; there are no aura nodes.

I'm starting on Banished myself and am actually having a pretty neat time - I had a bad tough start at first, but reset, and the trick that changed things for me was to immediately buy the magelight spell and light up EVERYTHING you can, as far as you can in all directions - eventually mob spawns of the sort that will actually chase you down will start to go way down. Also snag the rock blast spell to snipe anything nasty. My base is actually relatively safe enough that i'm having livestock spawn in it and I've only been playing a few hours. I managed to kill an afrit from Lycanites (never seen this mod before) and the reputation turnin quest for it gave me an afrit bait - next time I saw one I used it on him and now I have a tame afrit who follows me around and throws fireballs at anything who gets close. You can build a turret golem with just a dispenser and a fence and so i've plopped a few of those around too to keep out strays.

It seems like the best area to build a base in is a big wide open dirt covered cavern room where you can light a large space up up - if you do it in a tunnel there'll be lots of little dark rooms you can't find that will inevitably spawn phantoms and digging zombies. A couple stragglers will always wander in occasionally anyway, so the trick is to build your chests on the ceiling, high up enough that you have to be standing directly underneath them to open them, that way stray creepers won't blow them up.

I've never touched Ars Magica before but I do like these basic starting spells for a dangerous mod like this.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

minechem is cool - with enough power you can have cobblegen creating iron ingots

I actually had probably enough cobble to produce iron via decomposition, but it produced such an enormous amount of other junk to sort through while also being power hungry and clogging up one of the (expensive) decomposers that it was easier to just set up another sifter and use the cobble for an automatic cobble->lava->obsidian->silicon dioxide->gravel->autosifter setup. Even with 3 autosifters running 24/7 it was still just a completely unreasonable amount of metal needed just to get past the lovely moon tech tier

Actually figuring out that the whole auto cobble->lava->obsidian->silicon->gravel chain was automatable was pretty neat though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

For Galactic Science, how am I supposed to get rubber / rubber tree seeds? I just realized I have a way to crush cobble into gravel before getting off the Moon using the Electrical Age 50v macerator, but I don't see a way to get rubber...

Edit: Also, COWS!

Did you make an airlock or something so the cows could survive in there? And where'd you get the spawn eggs?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I would dig up to the ceiling to the map anyways just for access to the sky and have a nice building area with one side not having to worry about mobs coming out. Of course the ceiling might be bedrock, if it's not you will have access to the sky and have one side you don't have to worry about mobs flying though. Then again it might be "you saw the sky, you have died" or something. Ars magica and thaumcraft both give ok quarry options.

It's apparently a caveworld generation so I'm pretty sure the sky is bedrock, like the nether. I managed to dig up to y:150~ and it was still cave, there was just poo poo all for ores. The bottom bedrock would still give you an unbreakable wall to build against without missing out on good ore.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

EricFate posted:

Interesting. I haven't reached a that point my tech tree yet. I'll have to remember to do it in a compressed cobble room well away from my base. I'm still running with the two flavors of tier-1 generation, a solar panel that showed up as a quest reward, and a whole lot of coal/charcoal from the automatic tree farm and the automatic sieve bank.

I appreciate that I can use both the Carbon and the Hydrogen from my chem experiments as a secondary fuel source. The only thing I haven't found a use for is Oxygen. You'd think I could just combine it into O2, and then use it to refill my tanks, but I haven't found a way to do so.

Have you tried mixing Carbon and Hydrogen into Butene? (C4H8) I'm pretty sure it's a better fuel than all its components added up, but I'm not sure enough about how fuel math works (and can't find anything in the visible cfgs) to 100% confirm it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

EricFate posted:

I have not, but I will look into it. A lot of the other things which seemed like they might be improved fuel sources ARE in fact improved fuel sources -- but cannot be burned as fuel in any of the first tier generators.

Also, accepting this reward seems like a bad idea. In every other mod where I'm dealing with unstable ingots, they explode when removed from the confines of a crafting bench if they were not consumed by a crafting recipe. I think I'll be making a quick backup of my save file before I try it.

Well, I can confirm that Butene does in fact work in Stirling generators, that was my main power source (I had a tree farm automatically dump logs into a decomposer, with pipes looping the cellulose back in and outputting everything into better barrels, with another pipe pulling items out of the carbon/hydrogen barrel into a synthesizer set to butene, and a pipe on the bottom pulling it out to power six stirling generators at the same time)

The sad thing is that even with all that effort i was still almost always dry powerwise and couldn't really afford to power much beyond the 3 sifters, the oxygen machine, the machine that converted cobble into quad-stacked cobble, and the oil refiner. I tried setting up crafting machines to automatically compress all types of broken ore into ore gravel but completely dried up and ended up doing it manually, and after hours of that I eventually just gave up on the mod - tier 1 power and having to use extrautilities pipes for everything drove me absolutely bonkers, enderIO conduits were far too expensive, and needing several hundred of each metal to make a drat rocket ship was just irritating.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

that sounds loving amazing

No kidding :swoon:. I'm pretty new to modding in general but all of the best experiences I've had with mods are ones with good in game documentation, and built-in HQM style quests would be even better.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So how the hell do you host a modded minecraft server with a modpack from Curse Voice? Googling it, I can only find a million threads with people asking for help and recieving nothing except for a 'Thanks for the suggestion but i can't help you bye!' from curse tech support. Curse is terrible.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I've been playing Crash Landing and it's a really interesting mod with some really painful parts. I died as a result or thirst or a freak mob accident so many times that I just started cheating to avoid permadeath, and the cities are just ludicrously, excessively dangerous. However exploring the cities combined with the slightly skyblocky base is pretty neat, I just wish it wasn't so unfairly dangerous in the cities with hardcore - even with sync losing all your good items in the city is pretty much screwed for good without abusing creative mode, and pigmen can pretty much one shot you if you're naked, while armor makes you overheat rapidly which will also get you killed and waste all your water, and you need absolute shittons of iron to progress past the crap tier stuff you have by the time you need to explore the cities.

I'd love a crash landing style mod that was a liitle bit less hostile and maybe replaced pneumaticraft which seems a bit excessively expensive and overcomplex just to get basic stuff.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Magres posted:

Yeah I'd much rather see it be either like the Witchery potion system where you can make simple, easy potions with a thing or two, or you can make 20 ingredient hellbrews that will either ruin someone's life or make you a demigod.

Let me make a ghost pepper-habenero-mouthdeath pie and throw it at someone and have it actually light them on fire. For a long period of time. (alternately mix in some ingredient that gives fire resistance so they can be lit on fire and immune to it for extended periods of time and cosplay the human torch :v:)

That's beginning to sound increasingly like Space Station 13 cooking and bartending, where it's a coinflip if eating the chef's mystery dish or the bartender's mystery drink will set you on fire, make you turn int a pile of gibs, turn you into a cyborg, get you high as a kite, make ants crawl out of every orifice, explode into a cloud of bees, or all of the above.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Bahahaha

Yep, really making Minetweaker the best it can be alright. Didn't know a modification was so sacred as to prevent a modification modification from modifying MY SPECIAL VISION modification.

It can't detect doing the exact same thing with a 1 RF recipe in the Pulveriser, so I just did that, suck it dooooooown Reika.

Double Suck it down: If you're reading this and honestly get salty enough over this to patch that out, I can just use Numina, as Claire is gonna give 0 fucks about your whining.

That is completely idiotic - I'm amazed you're even bothering touching Rotarycraft with that kind of idiocy. I haven't ever had a modpack with it though to know if it's even the slightest bit fun though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

HQM Packs are fun :yaycloud:

Blightfall is good, revolves around thaumcraft
Regrowth revolves around agricraft/magic crops/botania and is grindy but i like it
Agrarian Skies 2 is kinda unfinished feeling but the quintessential experience
I have not tried Banished but heard decent things

Ag Skies 2 and Regrowth can both get pretty techy if you choose that direction. Regrowth is buildcraft/mekanism/railcraft thought which are mods people aren't super into nowdays but i've seen people make some really really cool machines in regrowth on youtube. Buildcraft can be janky and overly complicated but man does it have some really neat machines.

And yeah, as someone who only started modded minecraft a month and a halfish ago with Blightfall I find it really hard to play non HQM maps to give a little bit of direction and a goal. Though playing single player all the time sucks, a lot of these modpacks seem like they'd be better with a small group.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Ah, Regrowth, once again trying to gate mining stuff behind material hardness and forgetting that the Rod of the Shifting Crust/Equal Trade focus exists :smugdog:

From what I've read in the official Regrowth thread where the developer posts using magic shenanigans to bypass ore hardness is an intended path, and also being able to use nether ores to skip/delay making magic crops of those ores (acquiring the ore from the nether will unlock all the same quests creating an ore seed would)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Well, I need to do SOMETHING to automate because everything is 100% manual except for flower generation at the moment and it's getting a little out of control. And I'm not using forestry to do it. I was hoping to do thaumcraft but it still hasn't unlocked yet, I may just see if I can make a greatwood sapling and short circuit unlock the quest chain. I was pretty bummed that the sprinkler thing doesn't work on the plants, not sure why they had you build one; it does absolutely nothing.

Speaking of forestry, the Worktables are probably the single greatest item in the pack aside from storage drawers. I want those things in every pack, ever.

As far as I can tell/have read, the trick to get thaumcraft to unlock is to have at least 75 arcane rep combined with having held some combination of the ingredients for a greatwood sapling (so you've done some witchery). Make yourself a sapling, a wand, and a thaumonomicon just to make sure you're covering all the bases. Rep just opens the page in the book, and holding some item or another will suddenly make quests show up. You need to do all this regardless to get started so there's no harm in starting early.

As far as Botania automation goes, honestly I almost never touch functional flowers except in simple mana generating things because i'm bad at redstone - most of my use of Botania is for the alchemy catalyst, manasteel/terrasteel tools and armor and weapons, and the many useful baubles and rods and things. I'd like to get some more use out of their functional flowers but i usually don't have so much mana generation that I can really use it willy nilly considering how much producing terrasteel/throwing stacks of items in the alchemy catalyst/constantly draining pools to fill your tablet costs.

I tried getting a munchdew set up with just botania/redstone, having seen how amazing taffer's munchdew farm was, but without AE2 you have to set up a botania tree farm and after following a guide or two to set up a warp/bore treefarm I got a tree farm with trees that grew once every five minutes even with like four agricarnations pumping juice into them that ended up a massive net loss of mana. I don't know why agricarnations are so bad, they seemed like they worked well in the video - did agricarnations get nerfed? Because they kind of suck, now.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Regrowth has really sold me on Super Crafting Frames, too. I have a chest with all of those infusion stones in it, then four SCFs on it with the recipes for weak, regular, strong, and extreme essences on it. Then after I harvest my essence dust, it's just 4 clicks to compress it all up.

I have one for cake (:argh: rune of winter) and one for lava buckets on the back of my storage drawer with essence of fire.
If you have a SCF for cake, did you somehow manage to automate milking cows? Because buckets are so janky i wouldn't even know where to start - even if you had a pump that could just pump out liquid milk you'd have to get it inside a bucket for the drat cake recipe. Kekkimuras are.. intimidating, haha.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

So what's a good go-to modpack that just has a ton of crap to mess with? I've been using Progress in the Technic launcher, and I tried using OMPi but it crashes on stage 2 of the setup every time. Any other mods I could try that are focused on the magic/tech building aspect of the game?

Regrowth, Blightfall, Agrarian Skies 2 (there's a goon server in PGS), Galactic Science (warning: grind), Hubris (like blightfall but minus the tech and plus a lot more magic stuff/dungeon crawling) are the good ones i've played that fit that description.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 21, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

I think that Regrowth looks the coolest of these, but I've never tried one of these packs that has objectives and rewards.

They're good and fun - there's still plenty of base building/automation it's just you have goals too - that you can completely ignore for long periods of time if you want.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

I guess it doesn't matter either way. Blightfall crashes when I try to start the map. So does Tekkit. I tried updating to the newest version of Java, uninstalling the old version, upped my memory to 7 gigs, even tried out a modpack on FTB. No idea why none of that has worked.

That's really odd, but unfortunately I have no clue where to start - if you go post in the Blightfall thread here on SA (in Games as well) one of the lead programmers for Technic and Blightfall does give some tech support there.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

Are there any recommended mod packs centered around Thaumcraft? Preferably without HQM. I keep playing HQM packs that expect you to have a bunch of knowledge of the mod packs and requires leaps of research to progress.

That seems like an odd request, though - many HQM mods let you fiddle on your own and ignore the HQM books when you just want to build - they don't necessarily lock any specific advancement behind the HQM book - all the HQM books do in many cases is just give you some direction and some bonus items to help you get going. Regrowth is a bit like you say where the author tends to gate each magic mod behind getting a previous one set up, but other than that it seems pretty newbie-friendly too. Way more newbie friendly than HQM-free maps that are like 'yeah use NEI if you get stuck'

I learned Thaumcraft through Blightfall and Agrarian Skies 2, and would have had a much harder time without them giving me a general idea of what sort of things i should be working towards next.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

True. The few HQM mods I've tried (galactic science, Agrarian Skies 1) both seemed to lock content behind the quests, so it was always grinding to the next quest in order to progress in any meaningful way. Does Blightfall let you do your own thing outside of the quests?

Mostly - there's 2 limitations that are technically quest related but can be bypassed - you need to go to a specific location on the map (the obsidian tower on the south island) to get a blood altar, or get an uncommon metal from the volcano to make your own, and you need to get botania flowers from various locations around the map to really get it going - many people find both of these without any quest prompting, but there is a quest to make sure you do find them eventually.

I've no idea about AgSkies1 which i've never played, but 2 pretty much has you able to create as far as i know pretty much everything in the game via ex nihilo even if you never touched the quest book.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 23, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

What mod is making all that cool stuff and the lasers in the first two pics?

Yeah, are those entirely cosmetic or are they doing something? It looks amazing regardless, very magitech. Is that a thaumic horizons black hole node or did you just have the same idea? (Thaumic Horizons has you surround a node in a similar fashion to keep a node you ripped open into a turbo hungry node stable and not eating your entire base)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Its Thaumic Horizons, the first picture shows off the CV node booster (put on 4 for Fun! :unsmigghh:) the stablizers work to help contain hungry and The evil super node you get from putting 4 boosters on a normal node and make them useful.

Oh, nice - I've never gotten far enough with Thaumic Horizons to mess with those yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Okay I finally got sick of Solitary Asylum, since it gave me access to Thaumcraft 3 then somehow managed to disable the Wand of the Adept so I couldn't progress past the basic functions. The main purpose of it being in the pack seems to be all the warded stone and doors. The only thing you need to do via Thaumcraft is make a stack of Alumentium. Anyway, I was basically done with everything I wanted to do. I was about to easily breeze through the next two doors, and then there were two doors after that that were bee-themed that I was absolutely not going to do. After that was the final door, which seemed to mostly be about farming diamonds so you can outright buy the stuff needed to make the blocks... except for the 1 billion EU you're supposed to pump into an IDSU. That takes 7 hours. Also I looked at a video of someone "beating" the map, and it's loving broken! The final door can't be opened because the item detection setup is wrong.

Oh, and it's kindof shoddily constructed, as Galacticraft is installed for seemingly no reason, alongside Harken Scythe for, again, seemingly no reason.

My best guess is Inventory Tweaks. Auto-refill can cause inventory desynch.

I'm kind of amazed you bothered getting that far on that torturous sounding modpack.