Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

It's hard to judge where the caves are underground when I place the flowers

they also take a while and are a somewhat permanent solution. I just want to clear some crust away for a little bit to see if that's an ore I want or not

The Idea is to use the silverleaf flower in the cave, place it down, go back to what you were doing before for a few minutes comeback to the cave and everything is uncovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Desert and clay both give you some dirt.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Updating seems to have given dirt blocks a thaumcraft value of 23 Ignis. Is this just me or is anyone else getting that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Of course, that just saves you the work of tracking down caverns yourself!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

If there's cavers intercepting at any point of your landmass, you either need to plant a bloom there or run over that area with a purification focus every once in a while. Tainted nodes will immediately re-taint the surrounding lands by tainting and growing fiberious taint.

Or you could dig down and wall it off.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Rocko, have you considered just packaging a tutorial world as a separate save named "for new players" or whatnot?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know if I can package saves with modpack releases, but I'll experiment. At this point, I'm more inclined to just freeze everybody on a common overworld, but I'm not acting yet because I just don't want to put so much effort into something that could potentially be done better.

Edit: I wanted to double-check if that would particularly irritate anybody. One reason I haven't done it is because it would irritate me. One of my things I like to do is perpetually re-do the first two hours or so on new worlds, so freezing the overworld takes a lot of that fun out. Of course, I know enough about the pack to bang it with a hatchet to do what I want locally, but whatever.

I know I've at least seen agrarian skies 2 do it, so I assume it's possible. Heck I think that was also how blightfall originally worked, you had to back up the save if you didn't want to redownload the whole pack if you ran out of lives.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

greententacle posted:

UGH how do I turn that off?

I believe the intent is you'll eventually tame them using Thaumic Horizons, so if it's anywhere it'd probably be in the configs for that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

Having monsters from Doom and a lady from Bravely Default makes me question the thematic integrity of the 40K pack

this is not lore friendly at all!

Looks like SOMEONE isn't familiar with the Rogue Trader era. :smug:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I never bothered to learn how AE2 works, so all modpacks are effectively packs without AE2.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As a vague idea, what would people think about a pack where various mods were tweaked so that stapple resources required themselves to be crafted in the first place but those were then added to loot tables? The idea being that you don't know exactly what you'll be able to progress in when you first start the pack.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Maiden posted:

I still maintain the silverfish are bad enemy design, same as creepers and endermen.

Creepers made more sense in the context of the Zombie Siege direction the game was originally going as opposed to... whatever you'd call what it ended up as.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Can still end up with different mods ore processing outputing their native ingots, at least.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Clouds of darkness I think had some of that to it but it also had "here, have a portal to a dungeon on another sky island off elsewhere."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Maybe you should have a single "it looks neat" category then :v:.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I gotta get used to better questing, I used all my prosperity shards before confirming that I had them for the quest because under HQM 9 times out of 10 it would have already registered it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'd suggest veinmining with the pickappa really. Will have to fill a few spots back in but it works quite well

Actually how I've been mining in general too, go down to lava level, make a giant tunnel revealing a shitload of ores, grab what you need.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Think there's an options menu to the bottom right, turn off cheat mode.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
An actual Dark Souls equivalence would be like, lose all your ore and ingots when you die not lol you're turbofucked every time.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's cool to get Stuff from quests though. That's part of the expectation if someone's mentioning questing, can't speak for Vib Rib but I'd be just as irritated at saying they've got quests and then it's just achievements that happen through one of the questing mods.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Project Ozone has a lot of not-THAT-skyblocky options too. Ice planet, plentiful sky islands so you at least have all the dirt you need, etc.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eox posted:

The fact that skyblocks are the most popular modpacks in a game that can generate a play area eight times the size of the earth utterly loving mystifies me

Skyblocks mean there's no point in taking an hour to hunt for an interesting spot for your base.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The first half is so good that even if it turned into literally gregtech halfway through it'd still be 'play the first half.'

But yes start with BFSR.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So does PO3 have any sort of chest-mover, i can't find one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I honestly always turn off mobgriefing it's just too annoying.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I’ve been wanting to try out the new thaumcraft and hearing Talonos is incorporating it in his new pack is aces and I think I’ll wait for that to release.

I know Thaumcrat is no longer developed though. How far did it come? Did Azanor finish it up first or is it missing the endgame stuff like void related content?

That's no longer the case, Azanor is letting a collection of other modders continue it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Blightfall has a preset world.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man I HAD been wanting to play skygrid in a modern pack but turns out I'm completely incapable of skygrid!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tubular Bells posted:

I was actually going to mention that I had played BFSR back in the day, but I didn't know how much of it was still relevant today. I know that there are problems porting it to the Twitch launcher due to some weirdness with how it handles custom mods and having to get them officially released or whatever, so I didn't want it to look like I was pressuring the guy. I'll probably restart it again if I keep hitting roadblocks with other packs. I have heard good things about Ozone, though, and I haven't tried that yet, so I might give it a go.

I actually gave this a shot the other day, and while I appreciated that the quest system generally didn't require you to make any huge leaps of progress on your own, I wasn't a fan of the Skyblock-esque feel of the whole thing. Also, and this might be a moddedminecraft.txt kind of thing, but even as early as I stopped I could feel elements of RNG starting to screw me (like having to hope I got enough dried sugarcane from the strainer to advance, which took way longer than it should have). Stoneblock 1 does the same exact poo poo by making you get 4 of each of the 6 saplings from dirt with the crook. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

You only needed one sapling each from the dirt, then you could just grow it and crook the leaves.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Ugh I already have one barely-started pack ADHD is keeping me from working on, now I want to make a skyblock style pack set in space on a space station.

Why hasn't anyone (except Astroblock which doesn't count because you're only supposed to be there on the ship until you can get to earth) ever done this before? I had a lot of hopes for the Galactic Science packs but they never were finished.

I remember one relatively obscure one that was on technic. Paradox or parallax something or other. Started out with minechem and some sort of possibly custom antimatter mod, a three day countdown that was supposed to like delete the world or something if you didn't complete the questbook in time.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The "endgame" was literally the bare minimum of what could theoretically be considered an end to the game so that a 1.0 could be slapped on.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They're saying that because MS got rid of mixer, putting the screws on curseforge, whoever it belongs to, is less vulnerable to antitrust problems
Twitch then decided they would rather have someone else own curseforge while the screws were getting put on it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Water mechanics are and always have been stupid, it's a drat kid's game stop making it so complicated. That it's still possible to leave ugly 'whirlpools' of water when bucketing from a lake is ridiculous, and the amount of effort required to fill in a natural lake or pool is equally ridiculous. There has to be a better way!!!

The water mechanics aren't complicated? They're basically the simplest set of rules that doesn't lead to infinite flooding.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Ah yes that explains the weird water vortices floating in the sea and the underwater currents because a water block in a lake is "missing".

Yeah I don't disagree that that's annoying, but the reason for their existence isn't because the ruleset is "too complicated," it's because the ruleset isn't complicated enough to Flood When Appropriate But Not When Inappropriate.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
When overwolf actually has it's own program for curseforge up and running I'll drop that like a hot potato but twitch is still fine right now.

dragonshardz posted:

Overwolf is a moderately sketchy overlay and addons service for a lot of games, which Twitch sold Curseforge to because reasons probably involving not making fat stacks.

Probably they figured it already got people to download the twitch launcher which was the thing they actually wanted out of it, so now they don't need it anymore.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I hate giant megapacks anyways so to me the loadtimes are a great last indicator of "actually this isn't a pack you want to play."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a way to download the modpacks posted to Curseforge without getting the app these days? I figured I'd die on Mr.Boofu's server but I couldn't even get the pack.

Edit: Nevermind, I think. Somehow I got to a version of the page that didn't corner me in the to app. This time.

For future reference, GDlauncher will do it.