Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

DS:69 Season 1: Set Cadets on Stunning

OOC Thread
String Sheet

Seating Chart
code:
                              [Robinson]
[Farad]  [Q-Tessa]                               [Lukara][Thomas ]
[K'Van]  [Liz ]                                  [Geoff] [Kenat]
[Taral]  [Varik]                                 [Deavi] [Squeej] 
                   [Linda]  [ Tick ]  [Cain]
                   [Malfius][Carla ]  [Janine]
The Players

Tick The Hollow Android Played by Someone Awful!
Carla Alexander the Mortal Played by thejoshie
Geoff Grazer the Ghoul Played by Cocks Cable
Cain Sampson the Borg Infernal Played by The Deleter
Varik the Witch Played by Mad Jaqk
Farad the Infernal Trill Played by Mr. Fowl

It’s far too early in the morning for a mission briefing. Most of you clutch at your hot beverages of choice with grim determination and try to clear the sleep from your tired eyes. To make matters worse the Assistant Tac Officer Andrew Robinson in front of you looks fresh as a daisy. Every crease on his uniform perfectly ironed and there’s not a hair out of place on his head. He looks like he stepped off a Starfleet holo recruitment recording. Of course if he spent as much care and attention on looking after the men, women and aliens of indeterminate gender under his command as he did on his appearance this station would be a lot nicer place to work . But at least normally he’s too lazy to expect you to do much. Unfortunately today is not a normal day. He’s hammering again the point that station needs to be in perfect condition in time for next week’s diplomatic conference.

Aside from that it’s the usual routine crap. A list of the freighters expected over the next few days. A few new items added to the contraband list. And all that. He puts up a list of assignments for you all to examine later and then returns to reading whatever it is on his PaDD that’s so interesting.

Tick: What does Linda (an odd nickname.) lean over and tell you requires repairing in her comm section? And what higher priority repair do you have to inform her would have to be completed before you could help her?

Quintessa: Wow your first chance to observe some of the Federations finest diplomats at work I bet you’re really excited! Who on the station shares your enthusiasm? And what did they speculate to you as to what the talks were really about?

Carla: Have you worked up the courage to tell Cain about your feelings yet? I mean you looked ready to tell him last night. But someone interrupted the two of you who was it and what did they do that spoiled the mood?

Geoff: You actually got a shift off last night for the first time in a while. What did you do to try and relax? And what did you do to the person who interrupted your relaxation?

Cain: It’s like you can’t turn around without tripping over Carla lately. Do you think she knows about your Borg problem? Or do you suspect some other motive behind the way she behaves? What do you even know about her anyway?

Varik: Your just impatient for the briefing to end aren’t you so you get back to work. What bit of engineering work did you have to leave half-finished to come here for this pointless briefing? When that’s finished you should be free for the rest of the station day what do you plan to do with your free time?

Farad: Kor seems really excited at the prospect of meeting someone at this conference Has the symbiont let slip to you who it is yet or why they are so important? What did it ask you to acquire as a gift for this visitor?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Quintessa Quilan
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2 | Resentment: 0
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions:

Oh joy of joys, I had never met a true human diplomat even when growing up on Earth. This was a chance to learn more about the culture I was so invested in, being a part of it, and I couldn't hardly sleep last night - which is fine, because I did not actually need it. In fact, I looked as spotless as the Assistant Tac Officer himself, my uniform, makeup, and entire self looking as good as usual, since I had nothing better to do than get ready all night. In fact, I ran into Liz this morning who looked almost as enthused as I was, getting herself some 'coffee' from a replicator. Our discussion was rather short, but she said that they were probably going to start going further into the Delta Quadrant, that we were going to be at the frontiers of the Federation, and soon we'd be one of the most important bases around!

She seemed really happy about the idea, I suppose because like all creatures, human or non human, she wants to be special and important. But I like this post, I think, and I feel important where I am, it is such a nice and easy way to study- I mean, participate in human activities. And they had so little work to be done, it made it so simple to speak with and learn about what other people want and need from life, and then make them happier!

As we sat waiting for the briefing to begin, I turned and waved to Varik - and Liz due to how she was between the two of us, he was so nice! I wish we had sat closer, but at least we were this close!

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1 |
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love None

I still can't believe it.

I was so close! So close to him, my hand on his chest, our bodies so close, my eyes looking into his. I was seconds away from inviting him into my room... and God drat Janine had to pop up from nowhere to remind me about this morning's briefing. Damnit! Damnit to hell.

I really don't know what to think. I'm now back to square one. My mouth feels like cotton was stuffed in it. My head is swimming with thoughts as effortlessly as the dolphins on in the Earth's oceans. And my ears were burning... well, that was due to Malfius who wouldn't shut the hell up. Seriously, I don't give a rat's tail about... what was it he was talking about again?

...I need a drink... maybe I should start carrying a flask like those detectives in those clasic Holo Vids?

Whatever.

I need to _do_ something. I had momentum... I can't waste it. Besides, Tac Officer Robinson wasn't looking...

I stood up from my chair. Malfius kept right on talking. Janine shot me a look and if she had telepathy, I would swear she was asking me "What the hell I was doing!?"

I honestly don't know anymore.

Cain was only one row down, so I slid down next to his desk and leaned over his shoulder, unaware that my breath and hair was tickling his ear.

"Hey!" I whispered. "...you know, you still owe me an answer from last night. The offer is still on the table..."

quote:

Obvious turn on. :)
So the roll (+2 for Hot; +1 for the permanent forward I get towards Cain; I also get 1xp for using HOT)=

2d6, +2 Hot, +1 Forward for True Love Move. (2d6+3=10)

And we have achieved the first boner of this Monsterhearts game! :D So another string is taken from Cain

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Kenat: Morning Briefing
Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1 | Resentment: 0
XP ○○○○○» | HARM ○○○○» | Conditions:

"Wait! hold on!", I shout out as I exit the turbolift, "Outta the way, watch out!" I dextrously avoid a maintenance crew's cart, not even spilling a drop of my Solenberry juice as I leap over it and make the bend in the corridor just outside the Briefing Room.

I take a deep breath and smooth my uniform, passing through the doors as they whoosh open. I straighten my posture under Robinson's glare, making a beeline for my seat next to Squeej, and doing my best impression of a cloaked ship.

After a couple polite sips of juice I lean over to Squeej, "So...what'd I miss?"

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Varik
Hot -1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

Another day's work interrupted by a tedious briefing. It is rare that I learn something new from these conferences; the upcoming events, ship arrival and departures, and minor policy changes are all announced in the various daily bulletins that departments provide, but it seems that Starfleet does not trust us to actually read those. Were it not for this briefing, I would be at my station in Engineering, finishing a station-wide audit of replicator power use. I've identified a pattern of replicator usage in unused rooms and quarters at times when the occupant should be on-assignment elsewhere in the station; Chief Engineer Crenshaw is aware, but as the observed power consumption technically falls within the acceptable fluctuations permitted by Starfleet guidelines, he has expressed no interest in pursuing the matter further.

Once the audit is complete, I need to visit Tel Josan's shop. He recently purchased a number of Vulcan items from a Ferengi salvager and requested my assistance in identifying and appraising the pieces. After that's through, I need to select a gift for my mother's birthday celebration and prepare my message to her. (Josan's collection allegedly contains an early edition of T'Lar's Desert Love Songs; if that can be authenticated, it would be ideal.) After those tasks are complete, I have no further plans, and assuming nothing more pressing arises, I will spend the evening reviewing the latest revision of Starfleet's computer maintenance protocols. If time permits, I may also use the t'ish hokni to observe Cadet Alexander, a prospect which I perhaps should not anticipate as strongly as I do.

As I review this list in my head before the briefing starts, Liz and Quintessa enter, and the latter waves to ensure that she has my focus. Quintessa is undeniably odd, but unlike her companion does not appear interested in forcing me to behave in a more "fun" manner. Officer Robinson is still reviewing his notes, so there should be time for light conversation. "Cadet Quilan, Cadet Fayden," I say, "it is good to see you both this morning. I trust you are both prepared for today's briefing?"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 2
Exp 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions:
Borg Strings on Cain: 2

Well, I've kind of... always been tripping over Carla? She was in my class before the... incident, and she was always kind of... there? You know, worked hard, kept her head down. I had no idea she had a thing for me. But now she's really there. Doesn't help she's gotten attractive. I dunno when that happened. And yesterday she was coming on to me really hard, and I was gonna go with it at the time. But now I don't know...

"Continue Socializing with This Individual"

Yeah- what?

"It Will Be Useful"

Oh no.

I'm under no obligation to obey the Voice, no matter how hard it tries. In fact, disobeying it would probably be for the best right now. "Useful"? It wants to... to assimilate her, or something! I can't let it hurt her, she has no idea!

And just as I think that, she's next to me, her hair tickling my ear and her breath hot. Oh. Oh dear. Keep... keep cool. It'll be fine, right? After all, aren't you sick of being the kid they picked on? You can... you can make it.

"Oh-okay." drat it. "I'll- I'll see you after my shift, yeah? If you can wait that long."

The Borg's watching this. It's like being under a microscope.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

T-CC1 "Tick", the Android
Hot -1 / Cold -1 / Volatile +2 / Dark +1
XP 0 / Harm 0 / Conditions:

It is always interesting to watch my fellow cadets in the morning. They look so weary, as though their sleep has done nothing to benefit their energy stores, and often this makes them short-tempered and irritable. "Coffee" is a preferred beverage, especially among humans; the early crowd at the replicators is usually full of beings jostling and snapping at one another to hurry up. I have recently taken to getting a beverage in the morning to try and "fit in", but I have tended to prefer tea.

I am taking a sip of my tea (earl grey; hot, to be specific) when T'Tallindi attempts to catch my attention. I am rather glad that I sit next to her -- Vulcans and I tend to have a similar disposition, which I appreciate, and T'Tallindi is far more serious than most of her peers. If she speaks to me, I can assume it is important, and this time I am right. She has news of a malfunctioning communications satellite, one of the ones for civilian use. Apparently it needs recalibrating, as many civilian messages have not been received by their destination planets recently.

I act what I believe will be interpreted as disappointed, because I would really like to help her, but Crenshaw has already given me orders. One of the cooling systems has been refusing to shut down, which has adversely affected both the crew quarters and some of the machinery. Apparently the senior staff have been sleeping cold, which has left them more agitated than usual. She says that explains a lot. I promise to bring it up with Crenshaw, which seems to mollify her.

I can do good sometimes. :)

To my right, Carla has leaned over and is engaging in ... what I believe is a rather public flirtatious gesture towards Cain, whispering in his ear from behind He seems uncomfortable, but receptive. Fascinating. But is this really the place? I find myself wondering if I should 'step in'; I would personally hope that someone would, were I in his position, but human behavior is so difficult to predict. I will have to keep watch on the situation, while still paying attention to Robinson's briefing. There's so much work to be done to get the station prepared for the diplomats' arrival. It is quite exciting, even if it has many of my colleagues at work 'at their wits' end'. (That is a human phrase. I am trying to work these things into my speech in an attempt to sound more natural.)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Geoff

Having the night off was...unexpected. But yeah, I of course took advantage of it. I had some spare holosuite credits and had decided to cash in. Although relaxation is strange choice of words considering the program I was running. My...experience... with Tick the other day left me with a feeling I couldn't quite shake. Any other man would have been shaken to the core in fear, but me, I like wanted to do it all over again...and again...and again.

So I tried to recreate the scenario in the holosuite as best as I could remember it. Tick opens the Jeffries tube noting power fluctuations on the tricorder. I climb in until the third grate which had a 1000 mega - joules running through it. But with it being just a holosuite, I only got a disappointing static shock of electricity. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I tried to tinker with the holosuite's safety settings, but there's of course a limit and it wasn't enough. Completely disabling the safety protocols requires authorization from two senior officers. That's way above my pay grade. If only there was a way around that...

Anyways, my time in the suite was interrupted by Janine. She apparently had time scheduled for like a date or something, not that I really gave a Targ's poo poo. I may have chewed her out for forcibly shutting down my program before I could save it. I left, but failed to mention the altered safety settings. That must have been an unpleasant surprise for her later.

So I kinda glance (okay more like glare) in Janine's direction and she doesn't look too happy. Good. But I don't really care about her. It's just an excuse to catch yet another glimpse of him...of Cain. What is wrong with me? Everything. Nothing. Maybe.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love None

"I understand... maybe lat-what?"

Did... did he say yes? It sounded like he said yes...

Carla, you imbecile, he said he'll meet you after your shift. You're going to screw him!

That thought, after nights of unbearable sexual tension mingled with days of daydreaming and gawking and accidentally on purpose tripping in front of him... it brought a smile on her face that threatened to split her head in two.

"Right... I'll see you then."

And then she stood up, straightened her uniform of the wrinkles and returned to her seat.

...or would've, if she did see 'him' looking at Cain again. What was his deal? He wasn't gay, was he? Not that she had a problem with that...

...wait... YES! Yes she would have a problem with that! He was looking at cain with lust! She knew it, cause she looked at him the same way! If he was gay, than that meant that...

Competition. drat it, not now! Not when she was so close. And what if Cain was.... no! NO!

Carl crouched back down next to Cain and like a predatoir she waited... waited.... waited...

Boom. Geoff is looking again.

*Kiss*

It was a peck on the cheek, but it was in plain view of Geoff, with her eyes looking deeply into. A show of intimidation. A show of dominance. A show of a clear message:

Cain is mines. Back off!.

ooc posted:

So this is a Shut Down attempt rolled with cold, one of Carla's lowest stats. This will be fun! XD

Inviible castle is down, so using Orokos.

Soo... the roll!

Shutting Down Geoff (aka, stay away from my man!): 2d6-1 2

And the complete, utter, but predictable, failure. :p Had to try, though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Quintessa Quilan

I smiled softly towards Varik, so nice, always so pleasant even in the early hours. I found his lack of feeling a little odd sometimes, but at the very least he was more attentive than some, so I dipped my head, "I have prepared myself, in case it should be long I am ready to be attentive, so I do not shame myself." I glanced to 'Cadet Fayden', who seemed to be already about to burst.

"What do you think this is for? Isn't this exciting? Something big! For us! To do! Like you should be smiling, why aren't you more excited, c'mon!" She rambled it out quickly, and I smiled softly. Humans were always fun, but sometimes the other species could be just as amusing, or even more so.

Short because not much to do, sorry.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That is, I decide, definitely a step too far for the briefing room. This woman has no respect for setting, it seems. I turn and frown at her -- it is a slight thing, mostly in the eyes (I am not adept at facial expressions, I am ashamed to admit).

"Could you at least wait until after briefing to get affectionate?" I ask, in a tone that I believe could be described as 'mildly annoyed'. "Everyone can see you. It seems inappropriate." To Cain, I try to simply seem sympathetic. He is not one of my 'friends', but I sometimes wish he could be, so that I might have a chance to understand him better.

Shut Down Carla: 2d6-1 6
Yeah, that's not happening.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Kenat: The Tac officer looks up from his PaDD in annoyance as the door cycles open but doesn't actually say anything to you.Still you can probably expect a reprimand from your commander for your tardiness in due course. Squeej doesn't seem to care though. "It's the usual emphasis on this stupid conference. What is it with humans and their love of talking things to death." he complains. He goes on to add in a low voice, "Chief Logan is really keen to have us catch this serial killer though before the conference last thing he wants is a dead diplomat on his hands." Do you have a plan to catch a shapeshifter? what flaw does Squeej immediately spot in it?

Carla: Everyone stops their talking for a moment and stares at you. Yeah I think Geoff kind of got the message but so did every single other person in the room. with the possible exception of Commander Robinson. The silence is broken after a moment but you can't escape the feeling they're all talking about you. What do you do to distract attention from yourself?

Gain the condition Flirt

Geoff Well Carla isn't exactly shy is she. Still it seems you already have a romantic rival and well he looks very interested in her yet barely gives you a glance . What are you going to do to get her out of the picture? or do you have a plan to get just you and Cain alone together?

Cain: Can you believe what just happened. I mean seriously, Still even if the Borg voice has kind of put a chill on it a pretty girl is still really interested in you.Tell is this a first for you or have others been attracted to you before? Or has your attraction been the other way round? what happened to scupper your relationship with that person?

Tick: Carla seems oblivious to your criticism but Janine leaps to her friends defence. "What do you know about romance anyway metalhead." she ask derisively "you wouldn't know love if it marched up and kissed you full on the lips." Do you know anything about love, perhaps something you remember from your time on the Intrepid? Or is she correct and do you have a plan for rectifying your lack of knowledge?

Quintessa: Wow, your fellow totally normal humans are behaving strangely today.. Did you see the way those two behaved I bet you thought they were going to mate there and then. Now that would be an interesting thing to observe. Your so distracted by the spectacle that you miss half the conversation around you. "---Kinda cute though and you know what they say about Cephaloid's" it seems you are not the only one observing your fellow cadets. Taral and Liz are. Still what do you suppose they say about Cephaloid's? since neither of them seem inclined to elaborate. Have you ever expressed interest in experimenting with another totally normal human yourself in some form?

Varik Liz gives you a meaningful glance before turning back to her conversation in which she discusses the merits of one of your fellow cadets. Still you're not letting her make you jealous of him are you? Still you cannot let any of it get in the way of your plans can you. What do you intend to trade for the Vulcan antique assuming it is genuine?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ferrosol posted:

Quintessa: Wow, your fellow totally normal humans are behaving strangely today.. Did you see the way those two behaved I bet you thought they were going to mate there and then. Now that would be an interesting thing to observe. Your so distracted by the spectacle that you miss half the conversation around you. "---Kinda cute though and you know what they say about Cephaloid's" it seems you are not the only one observing your fellow cadets. Taral and Liz are. Still what do you suppose they say about Cephaloid's? since neither of them seem inclined to elaborate. Have you ever expressed interest in experimenting with another totally normal human yourself in some form?

Quintessa Quilan

I stared at the oddly affectionate behavior infront of me for awhile, tilting my head to the side - I had experienced some affections like all humans, but only after drinking copious amounts of impairing beverages at loud parties. I had never heard of taking such actions without such encouragement, but I wondered if they would move further and begin the ritualistic stripping of clothes, so that they might mate here. I have never seen such happen infront of me, and I am certain it would help me learn. Not that I need it.

Then they seemed to calm down, though I seem to have stared for awhile longer. Once I was brought back to listening around me, I whispered over to my gossiping companions, intent to join in like a good human, "I hear Cephaloids need to mate constantly, due to the conditions of their home world being so bad. It is likely that is what he was doing that has made him late."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
XP ○○○○○» | HARM ○○○○» | Conditions:

"Yeah, the shapeshifter. The main problem is we don't know what type it is. There's at least a dozen different species capable of operating like this thing does, and we don't have a record of anyone like that on board. I've been thinking of a way to modulate the internal sensors to do a full sweep scan using highly dispersed phased plasma pulses, non-harmful to most of us, but enough to possibly destabilize the shifter long enough for us to pick it out of the crowd."

Before I can keep going, Squeej pipes up, "Here's the flaw in that plan; you don't know for sure it will work, you don't know what we'll do once we know which one is a killer, and I'm sure if it were that easy, someone would have already thought of it and done it."

Sometimes I hate the big-eared rat, but he's right. I activate my own PADD, and continue working out calculations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I am above being [annoyed at how Carla completely ignored me, but it is somewhat upsetting in a way. I wish that she had listened, as now she has drawn the eye of every cadet in the room. And now Janine is 'getting on my case' (another Human phrase; it means she is reacting with hostility at my actions). Why does she feel the need to defend Carla, who was not paying me any heed?

And Janine is wrong. I know as much about love as it is possible to glean from the histories of various cultures. It is a powerful emotion, which drives many beings to behave in a way that is out of character for them. "Is Carla in love?" I ask, imitating the Human habit of 'thinking aloud'. "I thought she was simply being aggressive, as humans tend to be." I shrug. I suppose none of this is really my business, but it is a little interesting. I wonder what Cain thinks?

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love Flirt

Someone Awful! posted:

"Is Carla in love?" I ask, imitating the Human habit of 'thinking aloud'. "I thought she was simply being aggressive, as humans tend to be."

Carla turned into a tomato with all the eyes on her. Her plan suceeded waaaay too well. Now everyone knew Cain was hers. Well, that's fantastic... right? Right. Having a reputation of open affection is a small price to pay for being with a man she was destined to be with.

Again, she stood up and straightened her uniform and returned to her seat... but again she was stopped, this time by the argument between Janine and Tick. And when Tick asked the question...

"...you... you worthless automaton! Of course I'm in love! What, you think us humans just kiss each other for fun!? Oh... but I forget... you're not human. A human wouldn't have done what you did..." Carla leaned forward so that only Tick heard her next words, "...murderer."

quote:

Shut Down #2 Oh boy! Will this be even crappier than my first roll?

Shut Down Tick (not 'that' way!): 2d6-1 4

Nope, but it's still pretty crappy! Oh well. Carla is off to a rather auspicious start.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Borg Strings on Cain: 2

Oh. Oh, help. Everyone's staring at me. Or are they staring at Carla? I have no clue. I mean, I guess I've been attracted to... people... before. There was a girl in basic training that was... interesting. We had something, almost. We were pretty good friends. It never got this intense, but... it was sweet, I guess. But then some backwater Kingons got mad that they couldn't cut people or whatever, and she got transferred somewhere to help... do whatever it is Cadets do during times of loving cold war. So, that sucked. And then I guess that's when people picking on me started.

I'm honestly not sure if this is an improvement. People are going crazy around me. Tick's in an argument, Quintessa's staring like we're insects doing something unexpected and interesting. Carla's staring daggers at... Geoff? What's Geoff got to do with this? He's just the security guy, right? What is this bullshit even? Did the Borg ever time travel, 'cause I'd sure like to do some right now and figure out what the gently caress is happening!

"Classified," hisses the Voice in response to my thoughts. Huh. The more you know.

Well, if anyone's gonna get me out of this jam, it'll be Geoff. He's a security guy. And I've got a good 8 hours to figure out how to get Carla off my back so I don't hurt her. Speaking of which, Carla has turned to Tick and oh my god, she's loving crazy. Okay, now it's not just for her safety, it's for mine. I'm not sticking my dick in crazy. I give him a pleading look and mouth "help" at him, with my best puppy dog eyes. That I can do. I've never done them before. loving great, why don't I just out myself as a Borg right now and get it over with?

Turn on Geoff:
TheDeleter: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: TheDeleter, 6-1 = 5

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Varik
Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions:

Hmmf. It is, of course, a relief to not have Liz force her inane chatter upon me, but listening to her gossip with the other cadets is not much better. (Although... Most days she makes more of an effort to engage me. An honest accountintg of my motivations might reveal some...jealousy...that today she seems to have other concerns.

"Cadet Fayden," I say, knowing that she strongly dislikes the formality, "perhaps if you were to spend more time focusing on your responsibilities and less time speculating about facts you could not possibly know, your reviews would not be so poor."

Shut down Liz: 2d6+2 8
I'll give the Liz the condition bad at her job and take a condition in return. Marking XP for rolling cold.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Farad Kor
Hot +0| Cold -1| Volatile +1| Dark +1
XP: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions:

It was early. Too early, even for Farad's Taravian coffee. It's not coffee, strictly speaking, and it has no common heritage with the earthbound bean. In fact, it's more like an oil than anything. In certain systems, it's a scheduled substance. Thankfully, Starfleet has a more circumspect view on morning stimulants.

He grimaces as he takes a sip, the drink beating off his drowsiness with a steel bat. Tastes like bathwater, though.

Why must you drink that if you despise it so, child? she asks in her ever-bored tones.

He ignores her. She knows why.

Sullen, as always. Did you acquire the items I asked for? I would...hate to be unprepared next week. Such a golden opportunity, were we to miss it...Well, it's no tissue off my tendrils but I assure you that you would regret it.

He nods, taking another sip. This is how she plays; she teases him with rewards, taunts him with opportunities...but just because he knows her game, doesn't mean that he's not still playing it. It took a bit of wheeling and dealing and now he owes Cain a favor, but he managed to acquire a certain Horundi idol; a small, prostrate, humanoid figure, arms open to the "sky". it also has a very large, ah, ahem... Apparently, one of the illustrious attendees is a collector of such things. If only he could figure out which one...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Twice in a row I have had my existence as an android used as an insult. This is displeasing; I shall add it to my records. But what is worse is what Carla murmurs to me as she draws close (her breath has an interesting chemical mixture on it, as a second side note). I stare expressionlessly at her. How, and what, does she know? I was informed that no one on the station aside from the senior officers was to be briefed on my previous posting. I was to be treated as a new android -- because I am a new android. Fortunately I do not need to display my sudden rush of fearful concern openly; I can simply choose not to express them.

"I believe you are mistaken," I state calmly, for Carla's ears, and then louder, "Are you claiming that most beings do not engage in amorous activity for recreational purposes? Perhaps you are the one who lacks knowledge of such areas, then."

I am still not very good at insults, but I think I succeeded in getting the point across.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love Flirt

Someone Awful! posted:

"I believe you are mistaken," I state calmly, for Carla's ears, and then louder, "Are you claiming that most beings do not engage in amorous activity for recreational purposes? Perhaps you are the one who lacks knowledge of such areas, then."

Did... did she...

Did that droid just say...

And in front of Cain as well! I can't let that stand! I wasn't a know-nothing prissy little girl from Earth! I knew what love was! I doin't care what Janine says, or my father, or any one else! I lack no knowledfge on love! How dare Tick! How dare that... that...

"...you... BITCH!"

*SLAP!*

My hand was on autopilot and oonly after my hand connected to her cheek, reverberating the sharp smacking sound across the hall, did I realize the foolish action that was...

...she played me. That drat android played me!

quote:

Lashing out obviously. CATFIGHT!!!!

Ahem.

So she is defending the sanctity of Cain's love. Since, in her own twisted way, she is trying to earn Cain's favor (whether he wants it or not), she gains the 1 forward from True Love, which is fortunate cause it nutralizes the -1 from her volitile.

Slapping Tick (Lashing Out): 2d6-1 6

Forgot the +1, so it equals 7.

Speaking with Sawful in irc, it was collectively decided on Tick getting a string on Carla.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 7, 2015

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Geoff

Who? Oh I hadn't really noticed that girl there before. Is she new? No? Her name's Carla? I guess I hadn't given her much (or any really) thought until you purposefully pointed her out just now. Maybe I have seen her before, fading unremarkably into the background of the promenade or something. I can't be bothered to remember to be completely honest.

Oh and now there's a thing between her and Tick, a loud awkward thing. Shut up Janine. I know who I'd bet my gold pressed latinum on there. I don't think I need to do much of anything. But if she one day walked into an empty turbo lift shaft then I wouldn't bat an eye lash. Well okay, I guess I would be mildly annoyed having to fill out the resulting security incident report. Those turbo lifts can be a bit glitchy...

Now Cain is looking my way. I immediately avert my eyes, turn my head in some foolishly too late fashion. I hope he doesn't think I was staring like weird creepo. Out of the corner of my eye I catch him ask for help or something. *sigh*

I stand up and move towards Carla and Tick. "Alright, break it up, ladies. Or do you want to some quality time in the brig to cool of? I can and will throw you in there." The implication of my threat is aimed far more at Carla than Tick. Tick's okay in my book. gently caress this nobody Carla girl.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

XP 0 / Harm 1 / Conditions:

She hit me.

The Carla woman hit me.

I am very nearly dismounted from my chair, as I did not foresee the blow coming.

I raise a hand to my face, pressing lightly against the sight of the blow for any sign of structural damage. I believe I am not seriously harmed. My synthetic musculature is designed to absorb and diffuse many forms of blunt trauma, but I will 'bruise' as I recover.

I blink at Carla, taking a mental snapshot of her face as it dawns on her that she has proved my point. A few points, actually. "That was uncalled for," I reply emotionlessly, swiping my cheek with the back of a hand.

I will have to tolerate this unpleasant woman sitting behind me in every briefing. If I do not make an attempt to remain on neutral terms with her, this could quickly create an uncomfortable situation. I could apologize; however, I have done nothing out-of-line. She, however, has. "You should apologize," I inform her.

She will likely not interpret this as conciliatory. :(

I give Geoff a half-shrug, which is a bodily gesture I have come to associate with ambivalence, or perhaps confusion. Both are appropriate things to be expressing in the face of getting punched, I believe.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Borg Strings on Cain: 2+1

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Everybody's having drama over me. I'm not that attractive! I'm not at all interesting! I just have a crazy, all-consuming machine consciousness in my body that wants everyone to join the glowy eyepatch and black tubing costume society! Why does anyone want anything to do with me? Why can't you just leave me alone?!

"There Is A Way To Escape From This Inanity."

Huh? What?

"Engaging Phasing Device."

Suddenly, I feel... weird. I feel like I'm sort of... buzzing, and not in the drugs way. Like, I'm vibrating or something. At least, that's as much as I get to register before I fall through the floor into the empty corridor below.

Using the Dark Bargain "Elsewise Power" to use the Ghost's Dissipate ("You can walk through walls.")

Run Away:
[01:55] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+1
[01:55] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 11+1 = 12

Well, I landed flat on my rear end. Ow. Hope Carla can't smell me down here or something. Yeah, speaking of which, that vanishing act is gonna attract attention. gently caress. Gonna have to make an excuse for that... somehow.

gently caress, there isn't one, is there? They all saw that. poo poo.

"You Are In Debt To Us."

"Yeah, whatever," I mutter, and look to see where the gently caress I actually am. "Can you erase memories too, so I don't have to explain that?"

"Not Yet."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cain Thankfully as you phase into the corridor it's deserted. It's one of the habitat rings and most of the people here are either working or browsing the Promenade at this hour. So you're on your own. But your dramatic disappearance like that is bound to set off more than a few alarms What do you do now? You're going to have to come up with a good explanation for this and/or find a place to hide till people stop searching for you.

Tick Carla glares at you. It doesn't take much to gather that she's not best pleased with you. Just then your optical sensors begin to malfunction. Well either that or Cain is sinking into the floor. What was the last glitch you experienced with your body and what did you have to do in the end to fix it?

Carla Can you believe it? that murderous machine is actually demanding you apologise to her. Almost as if she was a real person with real feelings rather than a robot. Still before you can say anything you hear a strange sound behind you. You spin around just in time to see the top of cain's head disappear through the floor. What the hell? where did he go? Do you think that stupid robot had something to do with it? Still you probably shouldn't start a fight when that security guard looks like he'd be delighted to phaser your rear end at he slightest provocation what are you going to do ?

you gain the condition Bigot

Geoff Just one wrong twitch. That's all you need out of Carla and you can stun her rear end and throw her in the brig... you're lost in that rather pleasant thought until both Tick and Carla's eyes go wide at something behind you. You spin around pretty fast but Cain appears to have vanished completely. You're pretty sure you didn't hear the distinctive sound of a beam out and there's no conveniently cackling Klingon with a disrupter beam pointed at where Cain stood. Who are you going to question to find out what happened to him? and what about their answer dissatisfies you?

Varik Liz smiles at you. It's not a friendly smile. "Always obsessed with the job. You vulcans are all alike. Wouldn't know fun if it jumped up and bit your green blooded behind. You should stop and see the world a bit slow down a little." "I was gonna invite you to a little get together with some friend of mine but if you're going to talk to me like that. Well I might have just changed my mind." Do you apologise in the hope she'll change her mind or do you not care about her stupid party?

She gives you the condition workaholic

Farad: Ugh they're all giggling over Quintessa's remark. Still does it kind of hurt you that they're interested in a piece of muscle like Kenat. Why do they never swoon like that over smart attractive science types eh? What piece of advice does the symbiote give you about talking to women and do you decide to follow it?

Kenat You look up from your PaDD and notice the three female cadets on the other side of the room are giggling and staring at you. That can't be good can it? Even if they are all kind of cute... You're so distracted by their tittering that they almost distract you from the fight. Yet as your eyes swing round at the sound of the slap you have a good view of Cain seeming to melt through the floor. What the hell... There are certain devices that allow for people to phase through walls but last you heard the federation keeps them under lock and key how the hell do you think a cadet get his hands on one? He must be up to no good of some sort, could he be working with the shape-shifter do you think ?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Exp 0+1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Habitat Ring | Conditions:
Borg Strings on Cain: 3

gently caress! I don't know where to go! I think maybe if I - no, poo poo, that won't work. gently caress, I don't know anywhere on the station I could hide that isn't really obvious or totally stupid! gently caress you, Borh! Now I'll have tomfind an excuse for all of this, and there isn't one! Now I have to avoid EVERYBODY!

"Your Prattle Will Not Accomplish Anything."

"Okay, then make yourself actually useful!" I realise I'm talking to myself but gently caress it. There's a handy data terminal on the wall nearby, meant for people to request information and get maps or whatever. But if I use it, with the Voice backing me up...

"Hiding Locations Unfeasible. Find Someone Who Can Be Trusted."

Okay, yeah, lie low with somebody. Somebody who can keep a secret. Maps turned off, list of people on the station accessed - and immediately I feel the buzz of calculations in my head as the Voice figures it out. It's almost liie I'm plugged in directly somehow - but I'd notice that, surely?

Gaze into the Abyss to find who can be trusted:
[01:23] (TheDeleter) !r 2d6+2
[01:23] (Krysmbot) TheDeleter, 9+2 = 11

I choose that the visions are lucid and detailed, and that they are clear and show me what to do.

Marking Exp for Rolling Dark.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 10, 2015

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love Flirt; Bigot

Cain! Not Cain! No! NO!

I shove the desk out of the way and now I'm on my hands and knees on the spot he seemingly melted through. Where did he go? What happened? Was he disintegrated?

...Her.

"You..." I turned to Tick, completely ignoring the security officer who was obviously after my precious. He's mines!

"You did this! You fracking machine! It was you! Bring him back! Bring him back right now or I will strike you down..."

Later on Janine would inform me about the whispers around me. "What does she have against Machines?" "Is she an Android bigot?" "Is she off her meds?", but at the moment, I didn't care.

"Apologize? You're lucky I don't claw your eyes out you worthless circuit board. And you..." Now I turn to Geoff. "How dare you allow this thing to do that to Cain! You're the law, are you not? I demand you back off me and put that ego where it belongs... locking up this android. She's the dangerous one! Look what she did to Cain! If he is harmed, I swear that your lack of action will find it's way to star fleet command... "

She stared daggers at Geoff. "...Cain might be dead because of her. Do. Your. Job."

quote:

So yeah, shutting down Geoff's bravado here.

Back off and do your job, Geoff! (Shut Down, +1 for Cain's honor, -1 for Cold): 2d6 4

And it looks like Geoff won't give a pimple on a dog's butt.. :p

e:
Saw some MH threads where people rolled twice when they targetted more poeople. Didn't know tha was an option. So I'm also rolling to shutdown Tick:

Shut Down Tick part 2 (late roll, didn't know I could roll more than one target.): 2d6 7

Giving each other conditions. Tick gains Suspect- people are now wondering if the Android is behind what happened to Cain.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 10, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

XP 1 / Harm 1 / Conditions: Suspicious

I do not understand what Carla is accusing me of. I stare blankly at her as I try to figure it out, but there is no logical explanation for why she would cast her accusations at me, rather than literally anyone else in the room. I have never seen a being simply vanish, as Cain did. Perhaps he is a species not contained within my memory banks. Or a genetic anomaly. I will have to ask him about this in the future. In the present, people are whispering at Carla behind her back and staring at both of us. It is displeasing.

"You are behaving inappropriately," I inform her, slightly annoyed. "If you continue to act out in such a manner, you will likely suffer severe consequences, as such behavior would be disruptive to the diplomats' arrival, and reflect poorly on our station." It occurs to me to wonder how such a woman secured a position as junior counselor. She could likely benefit from such services herself.

Giving Carla the condition Mentally Unstable.

There has to be someone who can talk Carla down, correct? Perhaps Janine; I have seen them together, and I believe they are 'friends'. "Janine," I ask quietly, "is there anything you can do about Carla?"

Manipulate NPC (Janine): 2d6-1 10
Marking XP. Janine, help me out!

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Varik
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions: Workaholic

Not being invited to Cadet Fayden's socializing would be a blessing, but it is clear that I have crossed a line. Regardless of my actual feelings toward the woman, having her angry with me would only lead to further complications--and annoyance--in the future. "I am sorry, Liz. I have been working long hours to complete the replicator system audit, and consequently have been sleeping fewer hours." This isn't true, but it is a believable lie. "I was only, to use the human expression, 'venting my frustration' on you, and I apologize if I hurt your feelings." Perhaps the last part was a step to far; I am fully aware that Vulcans often sound condescending when referring to feelings. Cadet Fayden appears willing to accept the apology--though I would understand if her response were secretly as insincere as mine--but before she says anything Commander Robinson finally begins the briefing and the cadets fall temporarily silent. Very temporarily, because in under three minutes I hear Liz and Taral whispering about Kenat.

I have been similarly curt with Liz in the past, but she has never reacted with such hostility before. While she appears happy and excited here or around our peers, when we are in Engineering away from the other cadets she has been acting moodier, and I often see her attempt to surreptitiously review logs of past conversations through the station's text messaging system. I suspect she may have recently ended a romantic relationship, which may warrant further investigation.

I am considering this when Cadet Alexander assaults T-CC1, followed by Cadet Sampson's abrupt disappearance. While the room is distracted, I quickly reach into Liz's bag and take her lip gloss. I then begin taking readings on my tricorder, arch my eyebrow, and say, "Fascinating," because I know what is expected of me.

Taking a sympathetic token on Liz, if that's kosher.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
XP ●○○○○» | HARM ○○○○» | Conditions:

Cain's little stunt was pretty interesting, phasing matter-inverters are illegal or at least against regulations pretty much everywhere (unless your species somehow does it naturally of course) but he's a security officer-in-training like me, so aside from being surprised at the event, I just figure he "borrowed" some piece of contraband from the Armory. I'm gonna talk to him about it, but I'm not particularly mad about it.

Carla on the other hand...she's a recurring pain in my flap. Drunk and Disorderly off duty, more than likely drunk on duty. petty, obsessive, and generally unpleasant to be around. I mentally breathe a sigh of relief that she didn't choose me to be the "object" of her affections. But now she's gone and physically assaulted another member of the crew. And she's done this in front of officers and a dozen witnesses. At this point I have to intervene...

I use my best parade ground drill voice to shout loud enough to be heard, even through bulkheads, "Carla, sit down right now! You are in violation of station security statutes and it is my duty to arrest you here and now, give me one sane reason I shouldn't haul you off to the brig right now."

I take a breath and drop my voice to a lower level in the shocked silence, "Tick has done nothing to you, we all saw it, and yet you've now physically assaulted her. Sit down, be quiet, and we'll figure this out like civilized people dammit."
Shut Someone Down 9 +XP
you each give a Condition to one another:
Carla now has the condition Embarassed (I think I did that right?)

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love Flirt; Bigot, Mentally Unstable, Embarrassed

Error 404 posted:

I take a breath and drop my voice to a lower level in the shocked silence, "Tick has done nothing to you, we all saw it, and yet you've now physically assaulted her. Sit down, be quiet, and we'll figure this out like civilized people dammit."

Innocent? Tick is innocent?

Of course Tick is not innocent! Look what it did to Precious!

But Kanat has a point! I struck her first!

It provoked you!

After I tried to..

DON'T BECOME WEAK! It questioned your connection to Precious! Thou shall not besmirch Precious!

The moment you hesitate, daddy will be right. Is daddy right?

...no.

Then strike back. You know all about this loser trying to act tough. Rip. Him. To. Shreds. Then... we'll find Precious without their help.

When I opened my eyes again (making me realized I closed them) I realized that seconds has passed. People were still staring at me. A second threat to take me to the brig was hanging over my head. Two security cadets were confronting me, and protecting it. But...

...but I saw it. The light in the tunnel. Kanat's intervention snapped me to a new level of consciousness. They were all against me... but I don't need them. Any of them. As long as I had my Precious.

My Precious....

My Precious...

Mines!

MINES!

Now cut that bastard down like the Alexander that you are!

My eyes turned cold and bore down onto Kanat.

"...fine, I'll back off. But only because it's not my job to arrest that... thing. I'm wearing Blue, after all. Unlike you. And you know why I'm wearing Blue? I've proven to Starfleet Academy that I'm capable of logical, independent thought. You all may think I'm crazy... but idiots don't become Junior Counselors. But ANY common idiot can wear red!"

I have read Kenat's file. That, was way below the belt. I could feel him crumble, his being stripped bare in front of everyone.

"Unlike you, I know all about logic. You want proof? Start with the Intrepid IV and connect the dots from there. Bad things follow this circuit board. If you were 'Blue' material, you would've realized that and not jump to such a foolish conclusion. Security Officer Sephora!"

quote:

The condition Kanat has taken?

Common Security Officer. That should tie him to his background nicely. ^_^

Oh, and Shutdown attempt on Kenat. This will not bold well if she flunk this. :p

So the math: 2d6 -1 Cold +1 Condition on Kanat, and +1 for True Love cause this is still the foundation to why she is pissed... the Honor of her Precious Cain.

So... the roll!

Shutting Down Kanat (aka, Know your role, and SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!): 2d6+1 13

...oh. Oh wow.

Right... since Kanat doesn't have a string on me... I take a String on him. Carla, knowing where he is psychologically weak, has left him quite impotent in front of every one. :)

I admittedly would've liked the historic 5th condition, though. >_>

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 11, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
XP ●○○○○» | HARM ○○○○» | Conditions: Common Security Officer :eng99:

The nicitating membranes of my eyes fly open in shock and outrage. She knows exactly what she's done, I can see it in the smug look on her ugly human face. If I were a klingon, I would have killed her where she stood. As it is, I stand very still, and get very quiet.
"If you think my file defines me, you've proven only that you lack the maturity to adequately serve in your current posting. I will include this in my report. If you'll all excuse me."

I nod to Commander Robinson, turn on my heel and exit the room, I make it halfway to the turbolift before the adrenaline coursing through my veins gets the better of me and I slam my fist into the nearest bulkhead, denting it thoroughly. I regain control and continue to the Armory to start my shift. Carla has made herself my enemy, and I don't think anyone on the station knows my people enough to truly appreciate what that means yet. We Cephaloids are not like Vulcans, or Klingons, or Bajorans, or Cardassians. We don't care about things like honor, or logic, or profit. There is only survival, and there are no rules when survival is on the line, Carla Alexander has just openly threatened my survival at this post and in starfleet, She has just died, I just need to decide when I'm collecting the body.

My thoughts remain dark as the turbolift drops me off not far from the Armory, and I make my way inside in peace.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Lieutenant Robinson puts down his PaDD and looks up and announces that the briefings over and commands everyone to get back to what they were doing. He seems unconcerned that several of the cadets appear to have left without his permission.

this a new scene btw

Cain The voice completes it analysis in a couple of seconds. Analysis Complete it announces in a monotone. Analysis Of Personnel Reliability Completed. Three Candidates Suggest Themselves, Cadet Alexander Would Provide an Adequate Domicile, However She Would Be Unable To Keep Your Location Secret Due To Mental Impairment Via Recreational Stimulant. Cadet Grazer Has Demonstrated Interest In You And Could Be Trusted To Conceal Your Presence However No Data Exists To Account For His Reasoning For That Interest. Finally The Ferengi Could Be Bribed To Conceal Your Location We Lack Sufficient Non Replicatable Latinum to Persuade Him Of The Necessity Of Doing So.

Which of the three options do you prefer? All of them obviously have their problems. But which is the most simple for you to solve?

Kenat Wow Carla really upset you didn't she. Still as you stride into the armory you're surprised to find that not only is the hatch unlocked and the guard who should be on duty is nowhere to be seen. Who was supposed to be on duty here anyway? Also you can see that one of the artefacts you confiscated last week has gone missing. What was it and who did you confiscate it from in the first place?

Varik Liz is so absorbed by the spectacle of Carla making a public idiot of herself that she doesn't notice you reaching into her handbag and stealing her lipgloss. Still all good things have to come to an end and you leave the briefing room and head up the promenade towards the antiques shop. Who do you meet on the way and what favour do they ask you for?

Tick: Janine whispers back to you "Play along, Just don't provoke her again like that ok." She steps between the two of you and starts talking Carla down. You don't quite catch what she says to Carla but it seems to calm her a little. So what's the next step with your power fluctuation analysis, Now you have your data are there any obvious patterns to it?

Janine will control Carla providing you agree not to harass her any further.

Carla Janine steps in between you and Tick. and turns to you. "Ok this has gone far enough. Tick leave her alone. Carla you're not helping anyone here." Janine puts her hand on your arm and hisses to you. "Come on maybe we can go look for him while the trail is still warm." Where do you plan to start looking for Cain and who do you dragoon into helping you search?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 11, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Exp 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Habitat Ring | Conditions:

Okay. Carla, no. She will try and either bang me or flash freeze me to hang on the wall, and that is 100% the opposite of laying low. Actually, it isn't? Kinda? But yeah, not good. And I've got nothing with which to bribe a Ferengi with. But Geoff. I can depend on that guy. Besides, I think we owe each other favours. I think? It's all a bit weird.

I fumble for my communicator and look for Geoff's ID. There. Now to hope he picks up.

"Geoff? You there, buddy?" God, I sound like a weed.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Carla Alexander
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Briefing Room | Conditions: Madly In Love Flirt; Bigot, Mentally Unstable, Embarrassed

Ferrosol posted:

Carla Janine steps in between you and Tick. and turns to you. "Ok this has gone far enough. Tick leave her alone. Carla you're not helping anyone here." Janine puts her hand on your arm and hisses to you. "Come on maybe we can go look for him while the trail is still warm." Where do you plan to start looking for Cain and who do you dragoon into helping you search?

I watched Kanat leave out, the negtative energy of embarassment getting transfered into the pride of crushing someone who embarassed me...

...but now I felt pity. I remembered quite a few people who sat in the Psychologist's chair, talking about shattered dreams. About the glass ceiling that they couldn't break through. Kanat's glass ceiling was laid bare to everyone. For those few brief seconds... I was a hypcrite...

No! He deserved it! He defended it, after it attacked Precious!

...I don't know...

Of course you do! You read the Intrepid IV reports yourself. One crew member dead by unknown malfunction. Reports say Malfunction was an accident... but security records stat that Tick logged in the Holo Deck systems Five minutes before...

But... Kanat dosn't know. None of them do.

Then MAKE them know. Precious is in danger!

...we have to find him first.

And on cue, I felt Janine's hand on my arm. "Come on maybe we can go look for him while the trail is still warm."

The way she hissed those words sort implied that even 'she' was mad at me. No Janine... not you too. Why is everyone defending that...

gently caress it.

I snatched my arm away from Janine and glared at Tick one final time before I walked out of the briefing, ignoring the "...I swear to God, that woman is whacked!" comment on my way out.

The awesome thing about being a Junior Counselor was how I had access to the express Turbolift, thus it took a minute for me to get to my room in the Psych ward. Into the living room I went, straight to the cubical where Varik installed the fake panel. The panel where I hid my medicine. I grabbed two bottles and a shot glass and went to my bed, sitting in it as I ordered the lights to dim. pouring the dark liquid into the glass.

"Computer... open and display 'Precious'."

A beep is heard then in front of her appeared a Hologram of Cain when he was walking in the hallway. Then Cain when he was talking to Robinson. Then Cain as he sat down in the bathroom...

As my survelliance research was shown, I took my first shot and already the bite of the constant stings I suffered this morning began to melt. After fifteen, I forgot all about the briefing. Nearing the end of the first bottle, thoughts entered my head: Where is Cain? How Can I find him? How can I protect him from Tick?

And I can't do it alone, who can I trust?

I opened the second bottle, ignoring the headache that was forming from drinking too much too soon. I needed answers. I need help. And everyone were to concerned to help the 'Android' to to help her... even though Janine did...

To hell with it, have another drink!

...to hell with it, have another drink..

quote:

Right. Gazing into the Abyss, with Downward Spiral (which adds Harm to Carla):

Drinking (aka Gaing in the Abyss). +1 Dark, +2 for adding Harm to it due to Downward Spiral.: 2d6+3 15

...that's the second double 6 in Two rolls. I think the dice is trying to tell me something! XD

Anywho, , The Visions cure me of a condition (embarrassed), and they show me what I must do, with a +1 forward doing it.

Oh, and +1 xp gained. :)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Geoff Grazer
Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
XP: 0 | Adv: 0 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Briefing Room

First Tick, then me, and now Kenat. Carla’s histrionics hit a particular nerve with me, well every nerve actually. I have no patience for scene chewing glorified extras trying to rewrite the episode all around themselves, and I’m scrapping the bottom of the barrel of all that I have left to just walk away. With a very pointed finger, I jab at her forcefully and ever so gently remind her, “Threatening a Federation security officer is a level 3 offense.” My uncaring blank stare should communicate how dead serious I am.

And with that I leave her, putting a great distance between us. Cain’s miraculous and sudden disappearance is a quandary. I’m not sure what to do or who to question to be honest. My job is to stare at monitors and man-handle angry drunks. I don’t really get a lot of this science-y stuff. But it can’t hurt to try? I open my tricorder and examine the readings. With all the blinking lights and doo-dads, my eyes almost glaze over.

Gaze Into the Abyss: 2d6-1 3

OOC: For what it’s worth, asking the Abyss for Cain’s whereabouts.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

XP 3 / Harm 1 / Conditions: Suspicious

'Play along' -- I am not entirely sure what Cadet Janine means, but if she is agreeing to talk Carla down, then I have no need to interact with Cadet Carla further. I was unaware that I had provoked Carla, and thus cannot truly ensure that I will not do so in the future, but in this moment it seems a feasible request. The vanishing of Cadet Cain has me questioning the veracity of my optical sensors, but a quick scan shows that they are operating well within parameters; they did glitch once, while I was awaiting my redeployment, but it manifested quite blatantly -- everything appeared as sketchy outlines through one optical receptor, and as infra-red heat signatures through another. Many beings do not emit heat the way humans and most carbon-based lifeforms do, which made some people at Starfleet entirely invisible to one of my sensors.

It was a very uncomfortable experience. :(

Kenat is very upset by what Carla said to him. I will likely be included in his report. It would displease me if he were to put any of Carla's falsehoods about me on record. Unfortunately, he has already departed, and I have orders. I would like to go after him, but I can not. In addition, Lieutenant Robinson is a bad lieutenant. He ought to have interfered to put an end to Carla's disruption, but he did not. His inaction ill suits a figure in a position of authority such as he. This would be a far more pertinent thing to include in the reports than any words that Carla spoke, especially the words which she spoke about me. Those words were untrue and also lies. Hopefully, her previous behavior, as well as his own offense, will have made her seem untrustworthy; I would prefer if no one pursued her line of inquiry.

I am unable to terminate this thought process, despite the fact that it is very upsetting. It simply repeats itself without finding any solutions. I place it on low priority, preserving memory for more important processes, but it is nonetheless present, an agitation. I cannot perform at 100% capacity.

My previous experience aboard the Intrepid -- which I am not supposed to recall -- did not leave me prepared for this station. The people here are very different. They are angrier. Unhappier. It is as though no one actually wants to be here. I do not know how to to socialize in this environment. It does not seem that Cain does either, if he is vanishing entirely rather than confronting it.

:sigh:

I think my safest move at this point is to report to the Chief Engineer. She will have an assignment for me, and work will distract me from my current difficulties -- and I can tell her about the issues with the communications array, which will be valued. Walking through the halls, unfortunately, provides no relief from my concerns. I am unused to this (in humans, I believe you would call it anxiety), the memory of the events which just played out cycling over... and over... and over...

The Carla woman will need to be dealt with if she wishes to endanger my place on the station. I dig through my data banks, searching for all available information on her that I have collected, in order to form a plan to silence her for my own protection. Neutralizing the threat she poses will not be a simple thing, but it may become necessary in the immediate future, and I do not wish to be without a strategy.

Gaze into the Abyss about Carla: 2d6+1 8
Marking XP from rolling Dark, as well as from Better Than Nothing which I forgot to do when Carla gave me Suspicious. :x Go for confusing/alarming.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
XP ●○○○○» | HARM ○○○○» | Conditions: Common Security Officer :eng99:

I'm deep in thought and distracted, thankfully a culturally and genetically enforced situational awareness pulls me out when I notice the hatch and no guard. I can't remember who it was supposed to be, but now I'm here and I start frantically taking inventory. I go through the manifest twice to make sure. drat it.

The Hyperbaric Detonator is missing! This is bad. We confiscated it off of a ferengi who tried to smuggle it to a buyer, actually Squeej really pulled through by going undercover. These things are nasty, about the size of a hand phaser, but they can blow a hole through almost anything, ship hulls, station corridors and bulkheads. Easy to use, easy to hide, and almost impossible to detect. These things are a terrorist's best friend and a security officer's worst nightmare.

I slap my hand on my communicator, " Sephora to Chief Logan, we have a problem..."

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Geoff Grazer
Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
XP: 1 | Adv: 0 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Briefing Room --> Corridor

I faintly hear a familiar voice. Cain? My tricorder appears to be detecting residual energy fluctuations in the gamma spectrum. The variance looks like background noise, but the minute signatures might actually be a deliberate form of communication. If I can modulate the frequency and feed the pattern through a reverse synthesizer algorithm, I may be able to reconstruct the original message!

Unfortunately I don’t know how to do any of that and I really just made it all up to appear smart. It sounded neat in my head though. And oh, it looks like it’s just the comm badge. I discreetly slip out of the briefing room and into the hallway before responding. I tap my badge. “Grazer here.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Cain Sampson
Exp 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Habitat Ring | Conditions:

Oh, thank god, he picked up.

"Hey, it's me, Cain," I say, then feel stupid for clarifying. "I'm on the habitation ring below the briefing room. There's nobody down here, it's really freaky. Do you mind if I lie low at your place for a bit before my shift starts? I need to get away from everything for a bit."

It doesn't matter why Geoff is interested in me. As long as he is, I can probably trust him to do stuff for me. Kinda scummy? Yeah, but right now I've pulled of the vanishing act of the year, so anything goes right now.

• Locked thread