Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

HOW THE gently caress DOES THE CONVEYOR KNOW WHEN TO STOP...

Julio, it's okay. It's just a simple photoelectric sensor near the end of the conveyor. When it senses the light from the other side is obstructed, it stops the belt. This is useful, it keeps the belt off whenever anything is within reach of the cashier. These are very cheap electronics; it's basically a little diode that generates a signal when light shines on it, and a light source on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

smoobles posted:

it's hard for me to convey my feeling sometimes, maybe if i had a conveyor belt except for emotions

that'd be really bad. Whenever the space was unoccupied, you'd move forward with your emotions. So like, your girlfriend proposes, you are silent for a second, then are like 'Yeah, I don't really think that's a good idea. This blindsided me.'

I don't know maybe more honesty is good. who knows. Smoobles, be honest with your girlfriend. she loves you

joke_explainer

for a long time, queue management in in lines has been many different registers, then a line for each one. most grocery stores operate like this.

several stores are trying to change that. it's been known for a long time that in queue management, it's easier to have a single line, which then is dished out to multiple employees one at a time. This eliminates any wasted time where people are switching positions or where a cashier runs out of people to scan though some still exist in other queues.

it's proven it takes less time, shaving off minutes from your average grocery store trip. banks use this strategy, as does your typical phone system queue.

what's odd though, is that even though it takes less time, customers seem to hate it. it may just be resistance to change. one typical complaint was that the person felt like they did a better job sniping a good position in line when they were seperate queues. that might be true, but why should they build the grocery store around your desire to get an unfair slice of the queuing pie? both waiting for the right opportunity and the system overhead are unacceptable in my opinion.

anyway, ask your grocery store to go to a single queue, so everybody isn't wasting their lives in grocery store lines any more than is needed.

joke_explainer

Luvcow posted:

this is what they do at Michaels when I'm buying art supplies and it makes me nervous because it's like cattle being herded together and I'm never sure if I could have gotten to a cashier faster if there were little separate lines

you can't, or if you could, you are a net slowdown to everyone else. our policies for queuing should minimize time for everyone overall! good for michaels

joke_explainer

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

ok but get this: the whole queue is a conveyor belt like luggage pickup at the airport only you get to ride it

that would be so rad.

joke_explainer

I use to shop at Winco but it was stressing me out. The employees were always so stressed looking and my fellow customers, well, they did bad things. Once this lady rolls up to now closed checkout I was getting tallied up at. It was the shortest line. This lady comes up behind the person behind me and stares at the "closed" sign, then looks at the cashier's light which was out then after a moment's contemplation starts piling her stuff behind the sign, pulling it forward.

The cashier looked so stressed out. She glares at the lady, stopping scanning, and goes "I'M CLOSED!!!"

And this person had the stones to shrug and act confused and is like "Oh sorry dearie, I already had my things down..."

Cashier: "NO YOU DIDN'T YOU MOVED THE SIGN!"

Lady: "I didn't notice it. I didn't see what it said!"

Cashier: "AUGH."

I was done so I left but yeah, it seems like a lot of interactions there are very antagonistic, people will try to snatch stuff from you if its on sale or snipe it from your cart, and generally seem devoted to making the entire experience as unpleasant as possible. Like, we're all shopping here, why do you want to make it even worse?

I moved to a fancier area with an admittedly more expensive New Seasons but it's a world of difference and totally worth the surcharge to not be rendered miserable every trip. Everybody is really polite and constantly going out of their way to be nice. Like if there's one item left you'll have people arguing over which one gets to NOT take it. I'm sure the pay is still lovely but the employees at least act like they aren't miserable and seem far less stressed. I've never seen a fight break out there. So I guess the moral of the story is, I don't know. Be nice to ppl in the grocery store and don't fight each other. It's not a gladiator arena we can all get important things there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

City of Glompton posted:

that's weird. we have winco and it's awesome and the employees are always seem happy.

Maybe it was just a really bad Winco. The prices were great tho

• Locked thread