Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The turn of the millennium is coming and everyone is cowering in their bunkers fearful that computers will turn on their masters. But in Japan there are more pressing matters to fear; namely a mysterious doomsday cult gaining power, increasing disappearances all around Tokyo, and a hideous beast lurking in the underground. Are you going to be able to survive the night....or will you find yourself running out of time? Truly a terrifying story and one that we'll be investigating more deeply as we head into the overlooked PS1 horror title, Hellnight (or Dark Messiah as it was called originally in Japan, though neither title makes much sense for the game).

Now one might question why they had not previously heard of this game and that could be for any number of reasons. The game never saw an American release, it was released just a year before the PS2 (and thus would be overshadowed by the new hotness), it never got much commercial fanfare in the locales it was released, and most importantly of all...it doesn't really fit into a normal horror genre. While games like Resident Evil touted being survival horror, it still very much left the player an option to defend itself and fight off what lurks in the darkness. Hellnight decided to go a different direction with this and leaves the player in cramped locations, almost utterly defenseless except for the power to out think and out run the dangers that are set before them. And that, along with it's very deranged, albeit repetitive setting, probably greatly deterred most people from enjoying the game. But that's why I'm here to lead you through the danger and for us to hopefully escape the underground hell awaiting our protagonist.

Good Stuff found in the Mesh

Razzo by yokaiy

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Please believe when I say the monster is truly terrifying when I give it a chance.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, it's a fun game to watch with the proper editing but I hazard to recommend ever playing it. Also we'll have some audience voting in this game; so bully for that.

Lotish posted:

For the record, when I think of Ps1 horror titles, I think of Clocktower.
I remember in my tween days trying to play Clock Tower 2 and loathing every minute of it. Then I watched Coulis' LP of decades later and realized I wasn't wrong in my loathing.

Also I made a mistake, and the PS1 game I was thinking of was Overblood. At least I didn't say Impossible Creatures, right?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I have this unreasonable love for ps1 survival horror games. Hellnight is actually pretty good because it knows when to use silence (probably unintentionally on the devs part) instead of vomiting lovely midi tracks at you forever like other similar games (The Note). It can be surprisingly tense sometimes.
Yeah, the audio work is a mixed bag for more. The silence can be great but when the game decides to have music, the loops are sadly very short and can start to get very grating, very quickly. Still I do really love the selection of a sitar for a majority of the cutscene music; it lends this more exotic and alien feel to what's going on. This is also compounded more so when we start to meet other people like Razzo.

And tense is definitely a good word for this game; granted the tutorial area doesn't get this across, but pretty quickly, the game is going to take off the kid gloves and show us more of what we're really going to be dealing with.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Things get a wee bit more difficult as we head into the mesh proper. And we're given some very heady choices to make...

Do we have mercy on poor Naomi or do we try our luck with a new partner? (you guys have up to Sunday night to vote)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I got curious and figured I would investigate my idea: what happens if we try the staircase without helpful Naomi there to warn us/be bait?

It's kinda what you'd expect. Now granted they do put in a helpful, random NPC before the door that pretty much says "Really dawg, you don't want to get near that door." but screw that noise.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I think I've been skating around it, but someone on youtube asked a very interesting question. When do we save? And that's probably another dickish move on the game's part, because we can only save during area transitions. There are no magic computers and no easy passwords to enter; so pretty much when we transitioned from the sewers into the mesh, there would have been no opportunities to save. And heaven forbid if you decided to be a Billy Badass and push forward without Naomi or saving....cause you could easily get hosed.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It depends on what this new partner can offer. Unless it's better than detecting monsters I say stick with Naomi.
I'm wanting to be purposely ambiguous because some of the partners are a bit odd. I will say though that there are about three partners (maybe four) that we can get over the course of the game; the problem is that they really only appear once to offer to join you. So it's very easy to miss the opportunities when they arise. Also each one can cause some different NPC conversations, and though I'm a man that enjoys slamming my face into these games...I don't really want to play through this game like four times over.

If you guys really want to be spoiled though on who the partners can be, it's kinda shown in the attract mode movie. Also we were given a hint either way by the frightening claymation man before enterting the bar.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does this game have multiple endings? And if so, does who you have as a partner influence them in any significant way?
There are a total of 6 endings, and yeah, each partner has an ending possibility.

VVVVV
While I never mean to enforce my stupid episode titles, I'm in full support of people's goofy nicknames. And possibly questioning why everyone (and I do mean literally everyone has one in the TokyoMesh).

I'd be 'Hilly' Dunderson.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 16, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So the current tally is 6 to get a new partner and 4 to keep Naomi at this point. It's closer than I would have imagined, but its reasonable to want to be nice. Really from all the LP's I saw of this on youtube, most people did choose to stick with Naomi because of her basic utility but who knows what the other people might bring.

Brought To You By posted:

Little late but during the first episode, I'd fallen asleep my first time through and woke up when Razzo first showed up. Trying to parse what was going on while looking at that cutscene was an incredibly surreal experience.

I vote to get a new partner only in the hopes that we find one that let's you fight back against the monsters. This serial killer fellow seems like the ideal candidate for that choice.

I'll go with "Perplexed"
Razzo and his accompanying sitar are always an unexpected joy to be had.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Nothing can or will stop the updates from coming. Not even my love of smooth and precious marathon men.

yokaiy posted:

I like to think that he just shows up places, sitar in hand. No one is really sure where he comes from or how he gets around without anyone noticing, but they've half come to expect him sneaking up behind them to scare the poo poo out of them with his sudden music playing.
This is amazing as always and I love it and it's in the OP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Demicol posted:

I don't remember if you mentioned it in the first episode, but what actually happens if you run too much? Do you just drop dead or run out of "stamina" and can't run anymore for a while?
Your heart explodes. At least I think, I honestly need to check it out but when I do it for way, way too long the screen starts to darken and turn red....so I almost want to say that the guy dies.

StarkRavingMad posted:

See? Our new companion seems...great.
He's a natural upgrade. We've gone from monster detecting school girl to sociopathic sex creep; it's pretty much a who's who in the world of Japan. He does have an ability though and I'll hopefully get to show it off properly in the next video (and maybe have it hinted at in a forthcoming bonus video).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I've been feeling a bit under the weather for most of this week, so I haven't gotten around to a new update but I did have a little bit of time to check out something else. Namely, what might happen if we decided to check out those stairs with our new buddy Kamiya....

It goes as well as you expect.

Also decided to see what happens when you run for too long and it thankfully doesn't kill you, it just completely cements you in place while this goes on:

And finally I also found out that I shouldn't press Start and Select at the same time in this game cause it'll just boot me back to the main menu. All great things to keep in mind.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

As we head deeper and deeper into the depths of the TokyoMesh, it only becomes more and more evident that the only sane people down here might be us and Razzo.

Also it's decision time again! So far our serial killer pal is being a bit of a useless, stick in the mud and we are going to have a chance soon to replace him. So do we keep Wesker for Fuckers or do we roll the dice in hopes for a brighter, less sociopathic future?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Kamiya looks like Wesker For Fuckers with sunglasses on. Also I had no idea you could die at the staircase because why the gently caress would you ever go back there.
If it were indeed possible I would go back to that staircase with every partner to see every possible way I could fail. Because I love failing.

Finally, the group that made this game for Atlus did have one other game and I'm wondering if it'd be worth showing off in some sort of bonus video because it's A.) just as weird as this poo poo and B.) completely in Japanese.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RealSovietBear posted:

Bunch of Japanese PS1/PS2 games did this. I know plenty of fighters had L1+L2+R1+R2+Select+Start as a soft reset that boots you in the main menu. Some JRPGs also had it I think.

Great stuff as far as the LP goes. I enjoy your esoteric horror game stuff.

Also, ditch Kamiya.

Hellnight Bonus Video: Let's Try deSPIRIA

Well if you like esoteric, then boy howdy...is this it. I don't know why this aggravated me so much, but I could have sworn it wouldn't take as long to get to combat. Hopefully I don't sound too angry, cause I think I was.

But yeah, this is apparently the plot of the game:

MobyGames posted:

deSpiria is an RPG adventure that takes place in the futuristic Japan of 2070. Twenty-two years after the World War III, an organization known as Church has taken power. You play as Allure Valentine, a girl who was recruited by the Church as an undercover agent. On one of her missions, Allure boards a train that crashes shortly thereafter. Her first task will be to find a way out of the underground tunnel and to discover who or what was behind that crash.

And yeah, I vaguely remember more complex button combinations to reset games. Start and select just seems way too simple to reset the game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^^^^
This will answer your wondering if it's a good or bad game:

yokaiy posted:

I think we should prove to Kamiya that he's right about us not being prey like the rest of the people down here by preying on him. Kill him and every other partner off until we hopefully get Razzo as a partner.

On that note, I guess the livestock are equally as invisible as the residents of the Mesh?

Also, deSpiria looks astounding. :allears:
The astounding thing about deSpiria is how long it apparently is. Like it's seriously a 12 hour long walk into insanity where you stick power-ups in your nose and fight topless android ladies while getting harassed by an endless stream of pale goth mall walkers. I would do it untranslated with Panzer but I don't think her mind could take it. She was already having enough of a mental breakdown when we ran into the side boob heavy butch lady with a wrench arm.

But all that aside, I wonder what you guys think of that weird quiz. Like were there supposed to be any deeper meaning or was it just odd busy work?

Also I like the idea that Rhys is in this world to steal toys from babies and in case we gave the headphones to Mika. It's nice that the game covers whatever possibilities we might stumble into and if it were possible, I'd walk back to those damned stairs with every future NPC only to see what happens.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 26, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's odd that the 'Yatagarasu' being a mark of guidance in Japanese culture has an parallel in Greek culture. Apparently in Greek culture, the crow was originally white but was turned black by Apollo (the Greek god of prophecy and healing), so it seems there's multiple instances in different cultures of the crow being a mixed omen. That it's both cunning and treacherous, prophecy and death.

I guess the main problem with the quiz is that there's no hints initially that you're meant to be inclined to answer in an 'evil' manner. Just seems a bit of an odd assumption.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I just want you to know that 6 hours into deSpiria and will not stop until this videogame has run out of videogame. It isn't getting any better in case you were wondering.
Yeah, i watched a bit more of a longplay and it never seemed like the game got any harder. It was just an eccentric journey.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

deSpiria update: I want to die but I think i'm halfway through.
Anything of interest? Also me and Panzer are wondering....but are you actually playing it or just watching a longplay? Cause oh my god, please don't play it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Nope straight up playing it. I can read a kindergarten level of Japanese. I've run into someone that can only be described as 12-year-old-cool catwoman. I am losing my goddamned mind but I refuse to stop now.
Just think, instead of playing this you could be trying to figure out how to make Lifeline work as an LP. And yeah, I'm probably the only one who remembered you did a test post of that (at least I think it was you).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I have no idea how we're almost finished with this game and still have no idea what's going on.

Also this game is still poo poo at explaining game mechanics...the NPC attack button is the same as the NPC talk button.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

D_W posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but that map had the Eastern block to the west and the Western block to the east. I was trying to figured out if the map was actually upside down on the screen the whole episode. It's really bizarre. This area is certainly not OSHA approved.

I'm really curious what happens if you have Kamiya with you when you meet Ivanoff. Well at least he's from the surface. He's probably not that crazy then... ha. ha. ha. Yeah right. This is a horror game. Every character is probably horrible in some way.

That backtracking for the event trigger is total bull poo poo and really awful design. It would have been fine as a hint if you weren't sure where to find Kojima, but to have it required.. yeesh.
Yeah, doing a test run and reading a guide with Panzer, we were a bit confused initially why it was making us do these things in the order it was. I mean it would make more sense to go back to Leno when all the thieves are found, and go to the residential area when the pass is made....but nope. And all the weird poo poo you have to do before entering the factory is just confusing and not clear (like there is nothing to indicate those big steel bars are supposed to be gates).

But I think I can probably check to see what happens if Kamiya and Ivanoff meet, but I don't think it's anything super interesting. Like I doubt they have a gun fight or anything, though I do fully admit that knowing exactly how any situation in this game will work out is a crap shoot; case in point when Kamiya just murders that NPC.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Wait a good goddamn minute there's an attack button? I guess maybe that's the point of keeping kamiya around. I mean what could Naomi have possibly done to the monster.
I think I remember seeing a comment in some video for another LP of this game that she was supposed to have some psychic attack but that sounds way too stupid to be true. I am pretty happy to say though that I'm probably the only LP'er I've seen so far that figured out the attack button....so hooray for me?

Red Bones posted:

I'm surprised that you're almost finished, one of the related videos for your most recent one was part 82 of someone else's hellnight LP.
It's good to keep in mind that most of the LP's were made back when the youtube time limit was in effect but it's also good to keep in mind that a lot of people played the game blind and did no editing.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmJzovxaFY

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Also there were a couple of things that I meant to mention in the video itself, but first...the Research area. Now I mostly did streamline that entire affair but I can't express enough how much of that place is a waste of time. There are multiple labs and rooms that are just collective dead ends meant to have you running around pointlessly in that semi maze and all the while, every time you enter one of these pointless rooms that guy will pop up behind you. And oh no, he won't pop up to give useful info; instead he'll always pop up, say he knows you're looking for Miyake, say that he's not in 'x' room, and that he wishes you good luck. Then he pops off into the ether leaving you wondering what his point is outside of being a super vague clue (the clue being that if he doesn't appear then you've found the one right room).

Now even while that's frustrating and lovely, meandering design, I still appreciate the fact that they gave the player multiple options of approaching a situation. Like let's say that you did give the headphones to 'Natural' Mika, well obviously you couldn't go to Tetsuo but the game gives you a second option in the form of the rear end in a top hat Rhys (who still stinks). It's at least giving some small variance to how you can approach a situation, though it ends up being a bit confusing to leave the NPC's behind even though they will invariably do gently caress all for you. But I can at least respect the effort.

And finally, I did miss a conversation in the livestock area with Razzo; not sure if anyone would want to see it but I could go back and get some screenshots of it so you guys can get the gist of it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

I'd be interested, unless it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Also, I vote for killing off our new partner. I know it's not up for a vote right now, but I still want us to burn through every available partner in the game.
I think currently there are maybe two partners left, but I'll definitely keep the vote in mind (though the next partner isn't anywhere near as amazing as baby faced Russian merc).

And nah, it wouldn't be too hard to get the conversation; I've got multiple saves going on. Hopefully I'll also get the next update recorded and done over the weekend.

Limopalise posted:

For the first time I'm tempted to say keep Ivanoff, because he's a cool dude with a flamethrower grenade launcher out for revenge. I'd like to see his story pan out, personally.

Also, I forget if this has been answered before, but do you plan on showing off any of the other endings?
Though, looking at this game, I can totally understand not playing through it multiple times just for that.
I myself will probably not be playing through to get all the endings, but I was able to find a youtube video that has them all. So I'll probably just link the other ones in here, but yeah, even with knowing how to get through the game Hellnight isn't an especially long game....but it certainly wouldn't be my aspiration to play through another four or five times to get what I assume to be three minute long videos.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hellnight Bonus 4: Quality time with Razzo

Sorry this took a bit of time but I was wanting to get together the footage for the next part and boy howdy...was it frustrating. But yeah, just a short bonus video for a missed conversation with Razzo (because everyone loves this little ummmmm orphan?) and I decided to see if Ivanoff and Kamiya had any special dialogue for their meeting. They kinda do and it brings up an interesting question of possibly Kamiya turning into the monster.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Well, good thing we killed Kamiya off when we had the chance, then. :haw: Also, thank you, Razzo, that was actually quite helpful.
Yeah, Razzo is great for bizarre bits of story information but they seem to not use him enough or tuck him away in odd locations. Like the reason he's so easy to miss is because he's just in one of the many rooms of the Livestock area and there's no real reason (outside of morbid curiosity or to find an NPC that I think is called 'Hunky') to look around in there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So it turns out that the game was an rear end in a top hat all along.

Also for the vote this time around we've got something a bit different. Now we do see that we meet a new partner in this video but pretty soon we'll be meeting our final, possible partner. So this time around do we want to keep Ivanoff, try out Rene, or see what's behind door number 3. Either way, I'll try to make a bonus video to show off which ever partner might not be shown, so we will get to see them in some fashion; but for this last final bit they suddenly decide to quickly throw extra meat shieldshelpful and insightful partners our way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

deSpiria watch update: Finished it. Would heartily recommend if you want to experience just how close you can push yourself to insanity.
I'm sorry you put yourself through that; I think Panzer had said she found a save for the game right before the final boss with a bunch of items...but I feel absolutely no want to ever touch that mess again

Red Bones posted:

Door number 3! Let's see who else this game has to show us.

I really like the temple scene. The mesh up until now has been kinda stilted and weird, but it's always been pretty spread out with lots of long, quiet corridors. Suddenly everything is weird and off and happening all at once, and it feels so apart from the real world, deep underground in a weirdass temple with a creepy priest, that it works really well for me. Are we going to find out why the head priest looked like he had a giant centipede instead of legs?
That priest is wonderful because it makes even less sense than anything else so far, especially with that weird little detail of him having a centipede tail of human arms and feet. I assume that was some weird Hybrid by-product, but I think we'll be hosed on ever knowing the truth.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Alright so far it's 4 votes for option 3 and 3 votes for Ivanoff. It's a lot closer than I would have expected, though I'm saddened no one wants Rene to come along. Apparently though she has a pretty low ammo count, and currently I think Ivanoff still has like 13 shots left which should hopefully be fine for the rest of the game.

Also I still really feel the need to point out how much of a dick move the cd-rom is. For the most part the game is pretty good with forcing you to get plot necessary items or having workarounds for things (such as getting trapped by a conveyor belt and needing Kajiwara to begrudgingly open a gate for you), but oh no....not that cd-rom. And the worst part about it is that you could easily overwrite a previous save you have from the second floor and have absolutely no way to go back and get the item you need. You are just stuck and have to replay through the entire game in hopes of finding this easily missable item. An item that doesn't even really seem to help with solving the puzzle it's connected to. Like seriously, maybe the puzzle makes sense in Japanese but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer at all to that puzzle.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Open the door....to your mystery date.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Limopalise posted:

Man, all that Hive stuff kinda came out of left field.
Is it possible that Kamiya is related to the Hive? That conversation with Razzo seemed to allude to a connection, along with his habit of calling everyone 'prey'.
It could very well be, or it could just be this mentality that creatures have when they see something as weak and vulnerable. Life is a jungle full of hunters and prey to some people.

D_W posted:

Ah a video game classic. The flesh level. So many games in the 90's had them. They have seen to fallen out of favor sometime around the mid 00's though.

This is game has a lot of cool ideas. I wish it was better designed and didn't use so many generic stock sound effects.
It's funny you mention stock sound effects because you'll have a hearty laugh in the video after next (which should be the conclusion). But yeah, there's some good and interesting ideas in the game, and it's definitely still a unique adventure game for the PS1....but it's also a massive clusterfuck of ideas and themes. And it's not surprising to find out that most of the people that worked on this and Despiria didn't really do much else in the video game industry.

yokaiy posted:

Okay, I think the weird robot-bug-saiyan friend was the proper choice for our final partner, even if he kind of wants to kill us a little bit. Also, the Hive seems pretty cool, and it's a neat take on the whole flesh-level thing. The butterfly-wing pillars in the Reactor Heart were especially cool.

Bye Razzo, I guess. If you're dead. Or, if you weren't dead from the start.

That would actually explain how he gets around and knows everything, though.
Razzo has a special part still to come in our journey and he's still more than meets the eye. Also he's always super optimistic and that makes any trip better.

edit: Also you guys are missing out on the best anime ever

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This was all originally going to be a single video but I didn't want to overwhelm you guys with 50 minutes of ummmm this?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

This game is really bizarre.

Weird techno-land was really cool looking, though. Funky space-shrimp monster, also cool I guess. In a kind of "why is this thing so complicated when it only got about 5 seconds of screen time" kind of way.

I feel like I have no idea what is going on anymore in this game. I'm wondering if I ever really knew what was going on anyway. Probably not. And yet, I am kind of fascinated. Can't wait to see what kind of surreal space-time this takes us to next.
Oh we'll see that thing again and a few other bizarre things; but a quick summation of what's going on.

An alien hive crash landed to earth a long rear end time ago, when it crashed their leader was spread out into the atmosphere to later reform. During this eon long reformation, this alien culture sets up a very bizarre means of collecting their leader's fragments and feeding themselves by creating this psuedo religion to gather up sacrifices (which was the Holy Ring). And the final step in their master plan is the unleashing of the Dark Messiah, which is kind of the Dark Prince without all the necessary pieces but is pretty much the harbinger of the end times for a species that is the target of this alien hive....because apparently this isn't the first planet to be visited by the hive? I don't know, it's a bit vague on that end.

It definitely all comes out of left field after the initial cult/trapped in the TokyoMesh/hologram baby, but hey, at least it's somewhat different than cult manufactures a hell beast for no real reason. A bit more of this is covered in the final video but the final area is a bit of a mixed bag....a lovely, lovely mixed bag.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Limopalise posted:

I'm surprised but very glad of the turn the art direction in this game took. The TokyoMesh was getting pretty bland.
Also, with all the ghosts you can run into in Technoland, I'm kinda wondering if it's possible to encounter your former, now dead, partners. Or are people killed by the prince not made into ghosts or something?
It's funny you should ask that....

See if you can guess why I won't be playing this game multiple times for all the endings (I'll put a link to someone who has them all uploaded).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

D_W posted:

Oof That ending area. They must have been really pressed for time in development for it to end up like that. It seems like this game's story was a bit too ambitious for it's budget.

So there's multiple endings depending on characters, right? I wonder how things change if you bring them along.

And yeah... those sound effects. yeesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-DinN6oGM

This is the video with all the endings (apparently we got a 'Bad' ending I suppose because we died in the elevator?). It seems the most obvious and different ending is with Kamiya where he allows the Dark Prince to be reborn, while the good endings are seem to involve getting to the surface and seeing where generic looking building models. Personally I didn't mind the ending where we get caught up in a nuke because I doubt I'd wanted to live in a world without my Wandering friend.

Also that area with the screams and sound effects is somewhat interesting, albeit super janky. Basically there are triggers in the hallways which queue sound effects to play, so as you're going through you'll here strange screams and monster sounds....but the problem is that you can constantly walk over these triggers and just get constantly repeating scream sound effects when you get lost down infinite tunnel #690. So what could be an interesting idea, especially for the PS1 era of games, becomes super tedious as it goes on way, way too long.

CremePudding posted:

The game really doesn't look fun to play, given the huge amount of walking in long corridors and terribly designed puzzles, and copy and paste at the very climax.

On the other hand, I must say I haven't seen many horror game that manages to be (somewhat) tense and scary while constantly throwing friendly characters at you.
Yeah, it's interesting to see that not everyone was out to get us this entire time...and that we inevitable left them to die deep under Tokyo. Serves them right for squatting in a military base.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, this game has an entire novel of content that they wanted to shove secretly into the last 1/10th of the game. Some of it seems super interesting and out of left field, but it makes me wonder if there was supposed to be more to it and they just ran out of time. I mean, it seems like if maybe they had just allowed the player to select a specific team mate at the start and letting them learn over the course of the game about the character it might have worked better (like if through fateful encounter they all ended up on the subway together and ended up down in the subway, with the player splitting up with one of them while the others went their separate ways?).

Still I do appreciate the effort and hope that my romp wasn't that painful (I was kinda running out of poo poo to say in the hive end areas...that didn't involve me saying how stupid everything was). Also since you played the game yourself, how did you feel about your experience once it was done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It always warms my heart to know that my LP might have pushed people to play a game and enjoy it. And ya know, I think Chris' site was how I first learned of the game so long ago as well. Or maybe it was hardcore gaming; either site is pretty useful for finding out new obscure games. Hopefully though this should be added to the archives at some point.

Also in case anyone missed it or was in the mood for more odd horror, I did just finish an LP of a PS2 FMV horror game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730843

• Locked thread