Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What you haven't done is laid out the perceived repercussions of coming out, as a thirty rear end old man. Is there any threat of estrangement or loss of employment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lizardman posted:

EDIT: (OP here, in case there's any confusion)

The repercussions are about 10% family/friend drama and 90% my own personal humiliation at revealing that I've been a closet case my whole life.

Listen, (and this is to everyone reading the thread, not just who I'm replying to), I realize this is SomethingAwful.com and being snarky is just what we all do, but I'm exposing the most vulnerable side of myself to you guys. I realize being in the closet is pathetic... and that's exactly what keeps me from admitting it to anyone. Even if you're trying to help, even if you're 'just loving around', even if you think I'm being an idiot for putting something this personal on the forums, you're not going to be doing anybody any favors by being dismissive, critical (even if you're going for constructive criticism), or teasing. I'm not even necessarily looking for advice: this is an Ask/Tell thread, not an E/N thread. I guess I'm just asking for you guys to cool it a little. I've seen you all do it, I know you can.

You can't shame someone out of the closet--it's likely the entire reason they're in it in the first place.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA I just posted this on my usual account. Well, I really wouldn't blame you for making fun of me for THIS.

What do you mean drama? Will there be a problem or will it be awkward? If the latter, then ya you should be embarrassed for being in the closet when you're thirty. Like, I'm Mister Don't Come Out. I couldn't talk to my dad for five years and it doesn't necessarily get better, cuz Pixar's Cartoon Candy and Smile factory doesn't have a job lined up and waiting for every homo. If you're just shy then I'm gonna be snarky.

• Locked thread