Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I think cover blocks all sight until they're actually in line with you.

I've been spotted in this way before. I want to say something like ~5 tiles away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Love Stole the Day posted:

I finished Beginner a few days ago and I did it a very different way. It's one of the good things about this game.

I disagree with the GOTY claim, though, because the story is incredibly short and ends on a cliffhanger. I was expecting that if I played it on Experienced or whatever, then it would let me get past the cliffhanger and continue the story. I was disappointed :smith:.

Games like Xenonauts have a longer story with more variety in items (I was expecting a Torchlight variety of items in this game but maybe I was just misinformed), and while it's a 10/10 in art, sound, and gameplay... the story is unfinished and short, while the characters are have no depth. If the characters had voice lines when you selected them like in RTS games, for example, it would add a lot more personality to the characters and make them more interesting.

I compare it to what Yahtzee said in his review of Team Fortress 2: there isn't that much there... but what they do have has been polished to a near mirror level of shine.

I give the game 8/10.

so it accomplishes all the aspects of what makes a game a good game but because it's not also a good movie it's bad ???

love stole the day....ur killing gameing

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Blisster posted:

I would love an XCom length campaign for this game. Let me have a stable of agents to choose from, even if I can only take 4 on a mission.

The ending certainly seems abrupt. There's not really enough lead up or character development to make the impact I think they were going for. But that's really secondary for me. I enjoyed the story for what it was the first time around, and have pretty much ignored it on subsequent playthroughs.

I don't know though, the game is short and sweet, sure. But it's super polished and playing through again doesn't feel the same because of the variety in missions and agents. The campaign ramps up in difficulty and complexity really nicely. I'm not sure if it would work as well stretched out over a longer game. Has anyone messed around with Endless mode much?

There technically is a 'story' in Endless mode that is completely different from the actual story. Central's got something new to say every day you survive; it's basically business as usual if the organization hadn't been busted in the first place.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think the game would wear out it's welcome if it had a long campaign. Each individual level is fairly intensive and exhausting. Somewhere between 4-7 missions for one game is juuust the right amount.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The early access version ended with a mission to rescue a courier before he bleeds out. There were also some more irregular missions in endless mode.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
There's already a side mission to rescue a courier during Security Dispatch missions.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Beat experienced, but it was my first run so I turned on could restart levels. Never used restart levels, feel cheated.

best game, na, would sneak behind a wall to yakety sax again

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 22, 2015

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
So if you manage to get a vault key, make sure you actually bring it with you when you do the vault mission.

I personally would never forget. Just a friendly reminder.

The latest expert run ended in failure. Partially due to the key thing. I also played sloppy and killed lots of guards, spending way too much money on charge packs but then running out of ammo on everything by the time the final mission rolled around. Sadly there's no gun drones on the final mission, those things are great distractions.

It's sad seeing everyone get gunned down :(

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I am on day 9 in endless mode and it's actually getting kind of easy. Turn out when you have 4 Stealth III and 4 Stim III and a bunch of other assorted level 3 items not even level 9 mission can throw enough obstacles at you. I'll try out my first level 10 mission and see if it'll kick my rear end. Then I wil graduate to plus mode.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd actually like to see an extended campaign or something ala Long War for XCOM EU, as fun as 5 days or whatever are I'd love to see the strategy expanded to maybe a month or two.

Hopefully in an Expansion Pack!? A guy can dream.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmm, how moddable is this game?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

Everything appears to be stored in LUA files, so you can edit the stats of existing items (possibly adding your own), agent stats, etc.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Fangz posted:

Most of the game lua scripts are stored in a zip file, scripts.zip, in the game directory. So you can unpack everything and change stats of things, add new items, make new missions, etc. I don't know if they've got any intention of supporting other types of mods in the future though, since these require adding new files, and localisation strings.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pedro0930 posted:

I am on day 9 in endless mode and it's actually getting kind of easy. Turn out when you have 4 Stealth III and 4 Stim III and a bunch of other assorted level 3 items not even level 9 mission can throw enough obstacles at you. I'll try out my first level 10 mission and see if it'll kick my rear end. Then I wil graduate to plus mode.

Yeah theres nothing in the game that can deal with lots of holocircuit overloaders and shock traps.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tarranon posted:

so it accomplishes all the aspects of what makes a game a good game but because it's not also a good movie it's bad ???

love stole the day....ur killing gameing

I think this is a contender for GOTY but its competing against a lot of different games and different genres. It might be a bit unfair to have to compare Invisible inc vs Witcher 3 but it will have to be done. I think it is a valid complaint to say that this amazing game has a disappointing story.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gyshall posted:

I'd actually like to see an extended campaign or something ala Long War for XCOM EU, as fun as 5 days or whatever are I'd love to see the strategy expanded to maybe a month or two.

Hopefully in an Expansion Pack!? A guy can dream.

It wouldn't be long war unless all price were increasedby 600%, loot frequency was dropped to 1/4, and it took 720 in game hours to complete the campaign. Personally I like the bite sized format with a limited roster. I don't get the need to supersize everything into a 100 hour marathon with 80 hours of grinding all the time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like the bite sized format too, just having the option would be pretty cool, thats all.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I guess I sort of did want more too; the main campaign felt more like an "Act 1".

I also really really wish there was an "undo" button when I realized I moved to a door to peek and didn't notice had 0AP to get back into cover until I ended, or misclicked on something, stuff like that isn't such a huge deal when you're on beginner but one misstep is disastrous on higher levels.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Funnily enough, I think extending the campaign by another 12-24 hours probably would be all I want.

Just lost one Experienced run at OMNI because I forgot that you need Monst3r to bring the key codes back with him. He was stranded with 4 different enforcers closing in on him while my entire team was standing around the console twiddling their fingers

Also lost another relatively smooth run because I dismissed the idea that the exit teleporter could possibly be behind the guard teleporter, and then next thing I know I have six guards running around going "Investigating. Investigating! Hmm...investigating!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhodi posted:

question, how many squares away does an enemy need to be to see you around a corner? This is hard to explain without pictures but if you're hiding on the south side of a cube and the guard is standing next to an adjacent face, he can't see you. If he's one additional square east/west, he still can't see you. At some point he'll be able to see you because of the angle. What's the breakpoint?

If you've got the hiding-behind-surface signifier, there is no breakpoint. If he is on a row or column in the obscured direction, he'll never be able to see you (except for some weird "noticed" corner cases I haven't figured out, but they seem to only happen when the dude's basically next to you. Maybe when he wants to patrol into your space and can't?).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I think those edge cases can be explained by the guard walking past and while they were adjacent they turned towards your agent and the cone of vision overlaps.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

I think those edge cases can be explained by the guard walking past and while they were adjacent they turned towards your agent and the cone of vision overlaps.

Yeah, when a patrol path terminates, the guards seem to do a quick look around that expands their angle of view momentarily.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They'll look around (and sweep through the full 180 in front of them) if they're hunting at a spot marked by a ? but an unalerted guard on patrol shouldn't do that.

Also, wisp owns so hard. I managed to dodge 5 alerted guards in a single room just by having all their paths plotted out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dyzzy posted:

They'll look around (and sweep through the full 180 in front of them) if they're hunting at a spot marked by a ? but an unalerted guard on patrol shouldn't do that.

Also, wisp owns so hard. I managed to dodge 5 alerted guards in a single room just by having all their paths plotted out.

Wisp is the secret best tool in the game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
t makes walls half height :aaaaa:

this seems kinda bullshit/wonky:

The square below the camera is safe, the square against the wall next to it wasn't and spotted me and the guard came running. Uhhh?

I also kinda feel like parasite should disable cameras before the spot check during the round, kinda sucks when it ticks down to 0, the camera spots you then immediately goes offline. Especially when you only have 1 turn to disable new ones before they come online. Same with the firewall thing, I've gotten screwed so many times by that level 2 firewall increase.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 22, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you've got the hiding-behind-surface signifier, there is no breakpoint. If he is on a row or column in the obscured direction, he'll never be able to see you (except for some weird "noticed" corner cases I haven't figured out, but they seem to only happen when the dude's basically next to you. Maybe when he wants to patrol into your space and can't?).

So what you're saying is if the guard comes out and is looking/facing towards my character, the only squares where he'll spot me is the ones I marked in red? the ones in yellow are safe? Even if the room was longer and they were farther back?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Triple post!

Hey I found a bug, I think.

I shocked this secondary server terminal with xu's subdermal tools to get at it. It immediately went into the rebooting state and I have to wait another turn. Is this intentional?

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Bhodi posted:

Triple post!

Hey I found a bug, I think.

I shocked this secondary server terminal with xu's subdermal tools to get at it. It immediately went into the rebooting state and I have to wait another turn. Is this intentional?
I haven't played much with him, but isn't his deal that he disables things rather than hacking them?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hmm maybe? I didn't realize. I thought it was a bypass.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Popoi posted:

I haven't played much with him, but isn't his deal that he disables things rather than hacking them?

Yup. So don't use his ability on a fabricator or something else that you want to "use." You still have to hack those.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Nope, the same thing happens with nano-fabricators and program servers. Likewise I believe you won't get the benefits of console, demon, camera and facility servers. Xu is still amazing tho.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, it's like an EMP.

Hmm, does the EMP also disable heart rate monitors?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, he straight up disables them. You also can't hack them while they're rebooting, so don't be the guy who accidentally spends two turns with Xu hunched against a fabricator. Still great for safes and robots (counts as EMP, so any EMP-vulnerable drones die outright when he hacks them). One of the best ways bar none to shut down drones if you don't have the power to hack them.

With the latest update that allows him to disable heart monitors I'm really enjoying the mental image of him sticking a foot long alloy spike into someone's heart through the ribcage, tinkering with it, and then sneaking away while the guard checks the room.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Xu can even instantly disable those stupid Omni guards with the firewall shields, it's amazing. He does NOT take out their improved heart monitors though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Bhodi posted:

So what you're saying is if the guard comes out and is looking/facing towards my character, the only squares where he'll spot me is the ones I marked in red? the ones in yellow are safe? Even if the room was longer and they were farther back?

By the looks of it, yes you're right. You'll also be spotted if the guards are facing diagonally while in those red squares.

I played a lot of XCOM and the way relative positioning works there is similar.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The left most yellow square is safe, the other one will not be.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The bench should cover Sharp from that spot unless I'm missing something.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Wisp is the secret best tool in the game.

Guards always investigate the last sound they heard. Ping is the best tool in the game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Normal Adult Human posted:

Guards always investigate the last sound they heard. Ping is the best tool in the game.

Also it reveals any guards within the Ping radius if they're not already visible. Shame about the cooldown though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

I think we're going to post about this officially at some point, but if we added some additional modes to the game (think Time Attack or Endless) is there anything that people would be super into?

• Locked thread