Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"You're right. We've already lost two of our own number. No need to take unnecessary risks." Nick keeps to the front of the group as they begin to head down the aisle. "Still, I wouldn't mind seeing that jig."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Warehouse - Level 3

The voice goes quiet as the group proceeds down aisle C. They see the shelf where the box should be located. As they move up to it, the voice speaks up again.

"I hear you! Come closer so I can see you!"

The voice now sounds enthusiastic, but when it says to come closer the voice starts to sound deeper in pitch.

Looking around, the group doesn't see anything or anyone that could be speaking. Checking the box number, they find what they're looking for on the shelf. Next to the box is an empty space on the shelf. The space is at least several feet wide and five feet up to the shelf above it.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Oh yes! We'll be right with you, miss. One minute. Just sit tight!" he says casually as he locates the box they need and passes it quickly to Burke. "Alright," he says, dropping his voice to a whisper so that only the others can hear him. "Let's turn around and get the hell out of here. You hear how it's voice changed? Not a good sign. Quickly now, lads. Hop to."

He motions the others back the way they came, keeping himself to the rear incase this 'girl' gives up the plan for a trap and tries to rush them instead.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

"Your right, your right." He says looking over the aisle the shotgun held high. "This does not make me feel better." He said as he scanned in front of them ready to shoot anything coming his way.

pre:
Toby Philips					
ST-10	DX-14	IQ-12	HT-12		
HP-10/12  FP-12/12   Will-12  Per-12  BS-7 BM-7
Advantages: Fit, Enhanced Dodge 1, Flexible, Enhanced Time Senses
Weapons: USAS-14   	   readied   Dam: 1d+1 pi  Acc|Range 3|40/800 RoF|Shots 6x9|10+1(3) Bulk -5
	Glock-14           hostler   Dam: 2d+2 pi  Acc|Range 2|160/1,800 RoF|Shots 3|17+1(3) Bulk -2		
	Survival Knife-14  belt      Dam: sw-2 cut|thr imp  Range:C, 1/C   Parry -1
Armor:	Torso: DR 13|6*, Skull: DR 12, Feet: DR 2, Hands:  DR 3/1*
Active Defenses:Dodge-11

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse - Level 3

As William grabs the box and hands it off, he glances back to the shelf. On the shelf, at the back sits an old stuffed plush doll that looks roughly like a little girl dressed in an old fashioned skirt. Its eyes are two black buttons. It stares at William.

"Hello Mister." The voice appears to be coming from the doll, however the doll shows no sign of movement. "Are you going to take me away now?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke gingerly took the box and began to cautiously back away from William. The young woman's voice sounded like it was coming from inside the shelves and, more importantly, the voice's owner seemed to have noticed them! He remained silent for now, almost involuntarily tensing up.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Uhh," he begins to say as his attention is turned to the doll speaking to him in a far too creepy tone of voice for his liking. "Hello." With his hand that is not holding the gun, he shoos the others back down the aisle to the elevator whilst keeping his eyes still on the doll.

"Sorry, little one. You're not on the list and something tells me you won't play nice with others if I bring you along. Don't bite me on the ankles on my way out."

He waits for the others to move back to the elevator first before he follows. As little as he may like it; if anyone is to take the brunt of a biting that's likely to come, it should be the immortal.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

The priest happily follows William's lead and backs toward the elevator.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

A relieved Burke joined the others in the walk back to the elevator, sparing a backwards glance at William.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse - Level 3

"What?" The doll asks, "Why are you leaving me? Take me too. I don't care what your list says."

The doll continues to speak as the group makes their way away from her and back to the elevator. She continues to plead with anyone who will listen to take her.

As William leaves the aisle and goes to the elevator, she keeps speaking.

"YOU NEED ME! TAKE ME WITH YOU. DO IT OR YOU WILL BE SORRY" The doll voice deepens as she speaks. After uttering her threat she goes silent.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"Good call William, good call." Nick says as they get back to the elevator.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He's certainly more creeped out when the voice deepens with the threat that's uttered behind him. "I get the feeling I'd be more sorry if I took you with me," he calls behind him as he leaves. 'Mess with me and you'll likely end up being the one who's sorry, little one', he thinks to himself.

As they approach the elevator, he ushers everyone inside and pops a jelly bean into his mouth. "Right-O, lads. We got all the items for sure? Someone hit the button and let's get a move on."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse - Level 3

"We away from that creepy doll?"[sub] The voice came from within the box. The box which is cube shaped and made out of wood had metal strips holding it together and a simple hasp keeping the lid shut. [sub]"Could you open up the box please? Been cooped up in here a long time."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He gives the box a curious glance when he figures out the small voice is coming from within it. "Yes, we're away," he says casually. He's seen stranger things than small beings in boxes before. "And no, we're not opening you up, dear chap. You've obviously survived in there long enough, a few more hours won't hurt."

When everyone gathers in the elevator, he says to them; "I say we unload what we've gathered already at the top before we continue on, along with the body of recently departed Mr. Stone. Someone hit that button before something else comes for a scuffle."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

Nick pushes the button for the top floor to offload the current set of acquisitions. While the elevator moves, he squats down next to the box. "How'd you fit in there anyway?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke stared at the box in his hands, eyebrow cocked. Did they just put all the talking items in the same aisle or something? "Sorry, I can't let you out. My employers would not be pleased. And besides, how do I know you won't tear my face off or turn me into a pillar of salt or something when I do?", Burke said to the box as he (gently) put it down next to the others.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

Taken aback by the talking box, Frank is even more taken aback by his teammates engaging it, "Don't!" He calls out, "Don't talk to the box. You don't know what it is, you don't know what it can do. You don't know if talkin' to it will turn you into its slave when it gets inside your head. Ignore the box. Let's just get it back to the professionals."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Warehouse - Level 3

"So that's how it is? You guys are just gonna take the ignorance is bliss routine? How'd that work for Stone or Roy? Yeah, I know about that. And if you don't want to end up like that, maybe you want to open up this box?

The door closes.

"Just to answer the question. I can fit in here because I'm not all here. Only part of me is actually in here. Not sure where the rest of me is. And I'd like to have the box opened because all I'm seeing now is the inside of the box and its boring as hell. You open the box up and I'll help you guys out. I know this place and a lot of its secrets. If you guys are worried, then take a look at my item designation code on the box. That will tell you a lot about me. You do know how those work right?"

On the box there is a tag with an item designation code:

W3C2-0400.10BLUE6EMP:9qnrD6h

The tag looks the same as the tags on the other boxes and doesn't appear to be changed or modified in any way.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke shrugged and tried his best to ignore the talking box as the elevator returned to the surface.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"So how 'bout them Mets, eh?"

Okay I just remembered that I took Xenophilia when I made Frank and realized I have not been roleplaying that at all so I need to make a change to my sheet.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

William shrugs as the box taunts them. "Probably just a head in a box," he muses to the others, chewing on his sweets. "Nothing unusual..." He doesn't rise to the comment of Stone and Roy. In his eyes, their downfall had hardly been because of ignorance anyway. Whatever's in this box will say just about anything to get out.

He waits patiently for the elevator to take them back to the top.

"What are 'Mets?'" he says to Father Frank.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"Baseball. More of a Red Sox fan myself." Nick crouches down next to the box. The suggestion to examine the label makes him shake his head. He'd have to look into deciphering them later. "Listen buddy, you're going to have to offer more than your word. Like my nervous friend says, we shouldn't even be talking to you. This is an aggressively dangerous place. I sympathize, I really do Pedro, life can't be easy as a head in a box." He looks up at William and mouths head in a box, really?. "But maybe you give us something real, and maybe we can consider give you a breath of fresh air. S'awright?"

Suddenly, a though comes to Nick. He pulls out the small telescope and peers through it at the box.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"We are not opening that box, no matter what that thing offers us." he says firmly to Nick.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Elevator

"I can tell you that the last level, the floor furthest down is set up like a museum. The objects you are going to retrieve there aren't boxed up. You're going to have to box that stuff up yourself. Your superiors are going to want you to do that without any kind of instruction. Seems like you might need help with that."

When Nick looks into the box, he sees a glowing human skull. The skull appears to emit a very pale (near white) blue glow.

"Hey Will, did your bosses say not to talk to anything you were supposed to gather? Or that you're not supposed to open up anything? Do you wonder if perhaps I'm a test? Maybe they're testing you to see how you'd fare in a situation like this? There's a chance that I could be a trap. I could be on your list to see if you would be foolish enough to open up a box. Or I could be a test to see if you are willing to take a chance to get a tactical advantage in a situation where you are mostly in the dark. Think about the numbers on all the boxes you gathered up. Did they explain any of that to you? Maybe they're just jerks who don't like to give you all the necessary information for a mission or maybe they knew you would be able to find out the information you need in the course of the mission."

The elevator dings and the door opens up.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Maybe you are a test," he says to the box. "Maybe not. But my gut says not to do anything more with you than ship you back to our bosses. Aside from those upstairs, everything we've encountered in this place has threatened or tried to kill us, so I see no reason to think you're so different. Who's to say that whatever you tell us isn't just a lie to get us to let you out."

When the elevator dings open, he starts unloading the items they've gathered into a neat pile beyond the doors. He leaves the talking head box for someone else.
"Someone give me a hand with Mr. Stone." he says, lifting the former agent under his arms. He also looks around for Sam, feeling the man should be given an update.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"Stop. Talking. To it." Frank says harshly through gritted teeth, moving to help with Stone.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ground Floor

"If you want something other then my word about what I'm saying, then check the tag on this box. If I was dangerous it would say so there. This place is one big death trap, but the people running it are bureaucratic as hell. Nothing gets stored here without proper documentation."

Sam stands next to the pile of wooden pallets smoking.

"So you managed to surviv..." His comment is stopped short when Stone is drug out of the elevator.

"drat, poor guy." Sam walks over with the cigarette in his mouth. He stands over the body. "Seems secret agent man wasn't cut out for this work."

"Hey Sam. That you?" the box attempts to yell, but the material of the box muffles the voice.

"Hi Freddy." Sam replies.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

The girl creeped out the black man and he stood far away from her as possible. He was thoroughly hosed up and just started lurching away from the box as it started to speak it was too much for him and he kind of stared off into the distance unable to really process what this gently caress was going on. Maybe it was Stone dying, maybe that he expected more specific challenges or maybe just maybe, the dude had seen to much. It was only for a moment, Toby wasn't dumb and he was processing this poo poo through his head quickly and effectively. It just took him more than usual to deal with it.

Sam however, finally breaks Toby's silence, "So... you know the creepy guy in the box? How about the girl down there? She another friend." He almost spits out, and then wipes his face, "Don't mind me, little girls man, just dolls and little girls just freak me the gently caress out." He admitted apologetically.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke blinked, "Wait, you're on speaking terms with, uh, it?"

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 17, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ground Floor[

"Oh, yeah." Sam says. "Back a few years, Freddy worked here. That was when they were moving freight in and out. I did security back then and Freddy here worked down stairs organizing boxes. Until he had his accident. A tall stack of crates fell on him, crushing him. The accident killed him. Before we could do anything with the body, we got a call. Someone in the organization told us not to do or even touch the body. So we didn't, just left Freddy's body there. The next day a group of odd looking folks came flashing their IDs and said they'd take care of Freddy. No one was allowed to go down there for a couple hours at which point they come back up saying we can clean up the mess. And it was a pretty bad mess as well. They cut up the body and took his skull. At least that's what it looked like they did. Also they had a talking skull that said it was Freddy. They did some magic on the skull and it holds the poor man's soul. Also the skull happens to know all about this place. Part of that is just Freddy spending years of his life here. Other stuff he knows, I'm guessing it was magic or something."

"Little girl is a lot of talk, no action. She's meant to keep me company, but that didn't work out so well."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"So there haven't been any adverse consequences for talking to," Frank struggles for a second, "Um, Freddy? And the things that he says tend to be true?"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"That's... one of the less weird things I've seen and heard in the past couple hours." Nick lights a quick cigarette now before they head back down into the warehouse. "If he's not hostile, and he knows about the dangers here we could use his knowledge." He motions to the departed Stone. "We've already paid a damned high price for being here."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

A stone faced Burke listened to Sam tell the story. It was terrible; killed in some freak accident, soul trapped in a useless vessel, and locked in a box with only a reject from the set of Chucky to talk to. Some small part of Burke empathized with it/him. He allowed a moment to pass before asking Sam, "Is it safe to open the box?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ground Floor

Sam walks over and opens the box. Rising out of the velvet lined box is a skull bathed in a pale pastel blue light that emanates from itself.

"He's ensorcelled to only tell the truth about the warehouse here. Anything else he could lie to you about, but not when it comes to the warehouse." Sam says.

The skull then speaks.

"Now that I'm out maybe you can stop from dying."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Roy's gone too," he says to Sam, still chewing on a jelly bean. Everyone seemed so fixed on the body of Stone that they had seemingly forgotten the man who's body they could not reclaim. "He got sucked up by...something. He up and disappeared before anyone could do anything. He's more 'missing' than 'dead' though, I've seen people come back from stranger things."

He gives the skull a glance over as it's revealed. He suddenly finds himself quite grateful for being able to live on in his original body rather than be confined to just his own skull. "Only the truth about this warehouse, eh? Sounds somewhat useful, I will admit."

Without hesitation, he picks the skull up out of the box and holds it up to his face. "It seems you might be more helpful than hurtful after all, Poor Yorick. And I think you'll be at your most useful accompanying us back down below.

"Speaking of which," he says, turning to the others. "Which floor's next?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Toby

He looks at the skull, "Don't mind us mate, just a bit shook up." He said trying to keep himself together, and the other thought of the man who disappeared into the void was hardly encouraging. "Fred, mate, that seems right boring not having a body, or anything." He says trying to keep himself stable and steady, after all, he still had more of the drat pieces of poo poo to collect. This was going to be hard one for sure.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ground Floor

"Residual transdimensional psychochemical vortex cloud. If you want to be specific about what grabbed him. There's always a chance he'll come back." The skull's eye sockets turn a pale shade of red for a moment and then return to their normal color.

"drat right I'd be useful. Maybe you ought to pay attention to that lesson in the future." The skull turns to look at Toby.

"It is impossible to describe the experience of no sensory input, except for hearing for such a long time. It should make me go crazy, but somehow I still feel very sane. And that feeling of watching your expectations of reality slip by you will go away in time. Just ask your friend there. He seems to manage."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"You haven't been useful yet pal. But Sam here vouches for you, that's good enough for me. Smoke?" Nick offers a cigarette to Fred the skull. "Anyway, looks like we're done with warehouse levels and got three more items to collect. Two on the display level and one on the 'special' level" Nick makes air quotes at the word special "whatever that means. Probably dangerous. What do you say Fred, what's on level D2 and U1?" Nick shows the screen of his phone to Fred with the three remaining items to collect.

I think we've got these left to collect

8. U1Delta4#-##0I.XXXXXXXXXXX:WkOjMOP
9. D2#4-##00.XXXXXXXXXXX:Rb2gCMi
10. D2#2-##00.XXXXXXXXXXX:Ev3B5pl

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He cocks an eyebrow at the skull when it's eye sockets shift to a different colour as it explains just exactly what took Roy away. Curious indeed. "Well that's something... With any luck, Roy'll pop back again soon." The skull's last comment warrants wink from him and he pops another jelly bean in his mouth. "It's not as difficult as people might think," he says.

After Nick gives them the run down of what levels are left for them, he thinks for a moment before saying; "The display level and the bottom special level," he repeats slowly. "Special usually means dangerous to your health in these circumstances, so I say we do that one last." He looks to the skull of poor, technically dead, Fred to see what he has to say about those levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

Nick smirks at William's comment. "No offense to Fred, you're a good lookin' skull, but I hope Roy shows up fully bodied."

• Locked thread