Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Witcher 3 is cool and good... for the most part.
I'm running on fumes right now so excuse the ramble.

Spent about 8 hours with it so far and my one huge issue so far is the awful awful UI, it doesn't easily give you information right off the bat and what the hell happened to the great and easy to navigate categorized menus from TW2?
Shopkeepers are even worse, everything is just DUMPED onto the screen.
It needs more categorization really along with a way to have stuff like prices immediately in view.

I'm not also not a huge fan of the crafting and alchemy either, alchemy seems to be all but worthless now as when you get the ingredients for a recipe and make it once, that's it. You're done, all you need afterwards is alcohol and to meditate to refill everything.

They removed traps, I used them a lot in TW2 and it seems that even Yrden doesn't work like it used to so there doesn't seem to be a way to immobilize enemies or place mines around battlefields before fights anyway.

In fact, all fight preparation seems to be gone. I really enjoyed that with TW2, you could usually anticipate when you were going to get into a fight and potion-up beforehand but now potions only last like 30 god damned seconds and you can just chug them like crazy mid battle, I don't know I just really dug having to meditate and prepare yourself before fights, it added to ~muh immersion~.
I suppose it went back to TW1's ways of doings things in a few aspects.

Other than those things, I love the game.
It's beautiful, some of the best graphics I've seen in a game to date with also some of the best lip syncing I've seen.
So much character and personality in everything about it.

I can see myself playing this for a long drat time, even longer if any of my qualms can get fixed through leveling up skills, modding, or patches.

And mind you, I just recently played and beat TW2 so that's a lot fresher in my mind than TW1 which I beat so many years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Do I have any reason to fear going out on boats? Like are there sea monsters and stuff waiting to kill me at the bottom of the ocean? :ohdear:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rizzo Crackers posted:

Put together one of my Alternative Launch Trailers for the game. It took bloody ages to make. Hope you folks like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiS5zDIuPM

Looks loaded with spoilers, could've slapped a warning on there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just got to Skillege after basically completing EVERY side activity in Velen/Novigrad and holy poo poo, theres a lot to do here to. I can feel my interest draining, I am thinking about skipping a lot of side content. If I do end up skipping some of it, what are the level requirements to finish the game? Whats a good level you kind of need to be around?

don't be a pussy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What the christ
:catstare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Letho was retarded anyways, who cares?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think I've run into a bug, I decided to go back to White Orchard to do everything that I missed when I left.

I've done everything except for this one Abandoned Site down the road from the Ransacked Village, cause I don't know what to do with it. It's just a shrine.
I've tried meditating until late midnight to no avail.

It's just kind of bugging the completionist sperg in me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CVagts posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you have to walk a decent distant away, save and load, and there should be ghouls there. If it still doesn't clear, repeat, and there should be a straggler ghoul there.

Yeah, I've tried that a few times to no avail.
Crap, guess I'll just leave it alone and if I think of it the next time I use a sign post I'll go back again.

Also, off topic, just did the shrieker contract and the trophy you get is another x% chance to dismember, are all trophies this worthless?
It almost kills any incentive to go hunting, I liked trophies in TW2, they all had some cool bonuses and were actually worth hanging onto.

Also, mutagens don't seem entirely worth it either.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Does anybody else think that the wind is waaay over done? The game is supposed to have several weather conditions, but all I've experiences so far are "windy" and "very windy"

Yeah.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy motherfuck why is the patch so big? What are the highlights of the 15 page patch log? Can romance options really add that much more space?

Or is it also including Hearts of Stone assets too?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ymgve posted:

Seems CDPR messed up and DLC armor/weapons and NG+ is currently incompatible.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/58794-Items-disappearing-in-New-Game

The northeastern part of Velen also contains a lot of new buildings, though most of it is gated behind the "end of the world, turn back" message. I assume it opens up when Heart of Stone is released.

Wow, these are the worst loving devs can they not do anything right holy gently caress!!!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MikeC posted:

Anyone here played the latest metal gear? Good pickup for someone who liked W3?

What a weird question to ask in a fantasy RPG game thread.

The two are literally nothing alike.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any idea on when Blood & Wine comes out? I was thinking of holding off with finishing up the game until that comes out if the wait is only 2 or 3 months.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Supreme Allah posted:

They changed it from first quarter of 2016 to first half of 2016 a little while back. Wouldn't hold my breath for 2-3 months, maybe 5-6.

Oh darn, guess I have to keep playing now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Meowbot posted:

This is not true and not fair to use as a blanket statement some people simply DONT GIVE A gently caress what anyone thinks and give no shits about the story. I play the game to kill monsters and watch heads splatter on the ground. I skip dialogu and spam E on notice boards and dont read anything and im enjoying the game just as much as you did. I actually hate dialogue/stories in video games, give me a book or something for a real story, I just cant care about the story. Especially in novigrad, loving dandelions quest which takes like 2-3 hours to get through is a loving slog and the dialogue is terrible.

go watch the play in novigrad and tell me how good the dialogue and voice acting etc, is, yeah they are takign the piss somewhat, but its so awkward and lovely. A lot of it is lovely and awkward. Love the gam but that is not a high water mark. Geralt is good pretty much consistently but a lot of the other poo poo is just fillter and half the npcs are obnoxious as gently caress.

gently caress off you god damned idiot.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sebmojo posted:

hey goons am i being weird or does e3fx look like butt.

is there a better shader i can use? preferably something that's drag and drop, witcher modding is byzantine enough i want to keep it simple as possible

I think E3FX is pretty okay myself. :shrug:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are you sure you don't have Witcher 1 and 3 mixed up?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The combat is really good too, I don't get the criticism against it.
It's satisfying and requires a degree of skill to be really good at on higher difficulties.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Terrible Horse posted:

I found it great except for fighting sirens on cliff faces and similar situations (and outside of combat, anything remotely "platformy" was pretty finicky).

Ah, I haven't encountered sirens yet.

The platforming can be a little finicky though, yeah.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I haven't left Velen yet and even then I haven't ventured much further than around Novigrad.

Is there much environmental variety in the game? Could've sworn I saw snowy areas and deserts at some point in the trailers.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, now I'm excited to get to Skellige at some point but I feel like I have more business to get through in Velen first and I'm only level 11 and the quest marker says I should be level 16 before heading to it. :ohdear:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hm, okay, guess I'll pop by just to have a looksee and meet back up with Yen.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Disgusting Disney poo poo, CDPR has lost touch with what the witcher is......................................................

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw man, just heard this in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=823yuWz0lto

:qq:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dat bathhouse sequence.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bart the Troll is probably the best character in any game ever, prove me wrong.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

edit: Disregard, should not attempt to mod things when I haven't fully woken up. :doh:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 27, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sorry, but no, its not. If i wanted to go play magic i would do so. It's tacked on, makes no sense in the in game world, and takes far too long. At least dice poker made sense in the world. The humor of geralt walking around with pokemon cards notwithstanding.

What the gently caress?

I hope Blood & Wine features a trip to a Gwent card factory. :allears:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God, I hate it when I inadvertently over level myself for most of my contracts and secondary missions, I get so caught up doing other stuff that I just forget about them.
Now I have too many that are about 10 levels below me or thereabouts. :qq:

Should I even bother with them at that point or save them for a new game?

I just got to the part of the story where you're tasked with recruiting help to defend Kaer Morhen from the Wild Hunt, hell, I don't even know how much more of the game I have to go with until I hit HoS content or what I'm meant to do with quests that I fall behind with.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're almost always going to be overleveled for some of your quests. Just have a nice relaxing time doing the quests and slaughtering some noobs with ease for a while.

You're about halfway through the main quest, maybe about 60% depending on if you already did all the recruiting in act I.

:vince:

I have a little over 100 hours put into the game so far and I'm only about half way?!
Mother of christ what a huge game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Don't sweat about greyed out levels, your main source of xp is the main story and that will always outlevel you for the other content. Just do those side-quests for the stories. It's a shame they went with the idea of greying out though as it feels like you hosed something up as a player or that you shouldn't bother with the quest anymore and there's no reflection of that in actual gameplay.

Yeah, fair enough. I've realized that the little stories are still worth it.

I just still need to get the tangible rewards idea out of my head since the game's loot and reward system really does leave a lot to be desired, hope it gets a revamp or something if they do an Enhanced Edition.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Triss is a red head.
Check and mate.

I don't know, I wish we had more than one game with Yen.

It does feel like she was always there in a way though, we spend so much time with her in TW3 that it almost makes up for her absence.

But, I practically grew up with Triss being Geralt's bae since TW1, they just feel right together. :kiddo:

Then again, him and Yen have a great spark too.

I DON'T KNOW drat IT. :negative:

why not both?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The only mods I'm using are ones that make monster trophies not poo poo and a camera mod, it really doesn't need many mods.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I want a mod that lets me gently caress sirens.

to death

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Evfedu posted:

Wait what you need to be level 60 for Blood and Wine?

Doesn't the gear only scale up to level 30ish?

Where'd you hear that?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Megazver posted:

Might be coming out June 7th.

gently caress, I'll be out of state on vacation for a couple weeks. :cry:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bobfly posted:

So you might get to play a patched version of the thing as soon as you return from a nice vacation? That sounds quite nice, I see no downside.

nuuu i gotta play it noooow

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Such as? Also, wouldn't the Skellige missions be seriously over leveled for you? Or does that change with new game plus?

EDIT: I've decided to return to Witcher 2 in order to muck around with some save options for Witcher 3 (need my tattoo you see). I'm amazed at how different Witcher 2 feels than Witcher 3, but not in a bad way. Assassins of Kings still feels like a Witcher game, but it is a vastly different experience. Despite being a much smaller game than the other two, it does this sense of scale and alien-feeling world so drat well. Foltest's siege at the beginning is utterly gigantic, and the Flotsam region really sells you on the utterly immense and ancient forest that human civilization just barely encroaches on.

I do admit that I miss some of the weirder Witcher contracts from Wild Hunt, but I appreciate how the main plot is almost intentionally muddled. More than the other two games, I feel Witcher 2 sells the fact that you are part of the world, and the world will do as it drat well pleases despite your best efforts. War is coming no matter what you do, and the only choices you can affect really influence your own circle of friends in the end as you try to get the hell out of the way and uncover the myriad of double crosses.

I do think I will need to get that combat rebalance mod though, I miss my dodge key.

I miss the meditation and alchemy system from TW2 a lot, it added another layer of immersion for me and it still makes me a little upset at how dumbed down TW3 made it all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scouring the internet, came across this "leaked feature list" for B&W, it sounds specific enough to be legit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Here's the discussion when it happened, including a cryptic response from Comte de Saint-Germain.

Interesting, indeed.