Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

New PC trailer released today. Downgrade is very obvious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQqrOf70pc4

hahahahaha best post on the whole thread. We can all go home now until the game releases. Shut it down Orv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tony_Montana posted:

Man it seems that the only thing being talked about this game in the entire Internet is the downgrade, ad nauseum.

This was literally the exact same loving discussion just before Bloodbourne's release: a bunch of nervous hand wringing about downgrades and other bullshit that ended up not mattering.

The game is going to be goregous - CDR is literally the only developer on the planet I still trust to not gently caress me over (DON'T MAKE ME EAT THESE WORDS COMTE I SWEAR :argh:)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

*looks at screenshot* Holy poo poo that looks amaz...

iuvian posted:

I really hope they patch in higher quality foliage and draw distance that doesn't look like something from Oblivion.

The Witcher 3 PC Ultra 1440p (19) by Philipp Reuther, on Flickr

.. What? I just... Do I not have the eyes to see this poo poo? Am I just not a graphics snob?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Utnayan posted:

I'll be back to correct bullshit information being spread. Nothing has changed with the Day One patch graphically.

Don't come back.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

g-c posted:

And now he's back!

Don't talk about him, his posting is based on movement attention stupidity.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

Don't worry Iorveth's path brother. We'll manage.

:hf:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Gamestar captured some dual monitor panorama shots:

Oh, and of all the familiar faces in the latest trailer, no one mentions motherfuckin' LETHO?

Looks like Oblivion

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Man you're not kidding, Geralt looks so weird now!

Joke aside I miss this game and should probably do a playthrough of it sometime in the near futureish.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

morrowind came out in 2002. It's contemporaries looked like this:

Yeah, I was in 8th grade when TES3 happened. It feels like only yesterday...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Me, 3 hours from now.

Also, this is what the abandoned Witcher game from 1997 was supposed to look like:

Some more info: http://www.unseen64.net/2010/09/17/the-witcher-1997-version-pc-cancelled/

So this is basically the game I'll be playing tonight right?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Do you have a 970?

On board video only

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

MAGIC SWORDS OF LIGHT CONFIRMED IN EXCLUSIVE W3 PC FOOTAGE

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

So I'm 20 hours in, but I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. The shear amount of content is overwhelming.

The game is everything I could have possibly hoped for and then some, there's too much praise to write about so I'll list off my few complaints:

1. The inventory is garbage. Mine usable item and alchemy pages are so loving cluttered I barely know what the gently caress to do with it. A mod that helps me sort through this junk would be really welcome, especially a way to somehow mark items I think are important and "hide" them or something.
2. Sometimes slow reaction to things. Especially bad as yo're moving around in combat because you might reach the edge of your enemy's aggro range, they'll turn away and then you'll put your sword away and then you rush back in and I have to fight to get my sword out. Getting on Roche can sometimes be a pain in the rear end. "I'm hitting A why the gently caress aren't you working."
3. XP seems really hard to come by. I'm only level 8 after 20 hours. I bet it has to be this way for a 100+ hour game though, so welp.
4. I hate how crafting recipes don't tell you the level of the item you're building. I've done that several times now where I'll build something and (especially considering complaint #3) I won't be able to use it for another 20-30 game hours.

I mean everything I love about this game can be summed up by how I ended my night. I was just travelling to Crow's Perch after clearing out some pirates and giving the villagers their homes back, I was planning on using a road sign I had used a dozen times already. But, my way was blocked by a totally random Arachas that had spawned in the woods. So I finished my night with a completely random encounter with a fantastic enemy. Enemies that were push overs in the last game can be pretty dangerous now - especially if there are multiples of them. I love that nekkers are little gymnasts doing flips and stuff as they attack you - and I still love that they come in giant hordes. The Engrega in particular are not as stupid as W2, especially the warrior version with their tail spin.

I could go on but I just stop there and say job well done, Comte and friends. I loving love this game. Also the game is beautiful so the conversations of a couple days ago seem especially stupid now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

gently caress those guys. Warriors are assholes and took me like 5-6 tries to kill one. :argh: I'll be hosed if I ever run into 2 at once.

I'm prepared to be mocked when I say that my most hated enemy is the drowner. I don't know what the gently caress but their attacks are sometimes spaced out in such a way that no matter which direction you dodged you'll still eat a face full of claws. There have been several times where I've seen a pack of drowners, started laughing thinking about the goal I was going to make off their brains and tongues only to barely survive the encounter.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

So should I clear out all the sidequests before I go face the Griffin? Or is there a specific prompt to leave the area when the time comes?

This game is the epitome of "do whatever the gently caress you want."

Do the sidequests, kill the griffen, it doesn't matter. You'll be able to go back later.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Can you guys please use spoiler tags for cool treasure locations? I'm loving exploring and finding cool things on my own and I've now inadvertently spoiled some cool gear locations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Solartide posted:

Let's talk about Gwent.

The spies look great. They come on to the field on your opponents side, but you get to draw 2 cards when you play it, card advantage. My opponent played one on me, added a 1 power guy on my side for 2 cards, that's pretty good value.

But I got another card- Decoy, and this is amazing. When things look bad like they just dropped a power doubling card and suddenly their swordsman row alone is pushing 56, I can decoy in a guy for the next round. When my opponent dropped a spy on my side, I could decoy the spy and it gets put into my hand.

I wonder if you can decoy a decoy repeatedly to "pass" a turn without actually passing.

There's a legendary spy card worth zero points. That's ridiculously powerful. Add no points to your enemy's total yet draw two cards.

Also, I've seen a Iorveth card that is worth ten and can't be affected by special abilities. I saw both of those in the same game. I never stood a chance with my mostly standard Northern deck. At least now I know that buying all the cards you come across is worth it. Gwent is way better than dice poker.

I can't remember who it was, maybe it was the Baron - but there's a guy I played that had a deck at least 50% composed of spy cards. This basically let me win the first round and then he wiped the floor the other two.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah it's a huge blemish on an otherwise stellar game. Every aspect of it is bad.

Nothing in this game fills me with as much dread than if I've just killed a ton of monsters and want to sell their brains for cash and I have to go into the inventory to find what I want to sell. It really is a totally awful experience.

On another note, it also bothers me that a Witcher of repute has to buy recipes for most potions and oils. I don't mind crafting them, but even the game made it perfectly clear in that flashback scene with young Ciri that Witchers spend an awful long amount of time doing nothing but memorizing potions/oils/alchemy/monster poo poo. Even worse is the next flashback where Ciri recites and recreates a werewolf oil from memory. But Geralt man, he don't remember poo poo.

Outside of a mod that cleans up the detestable inventory, the next one I want is just one that makes all potion and oil recipes available at the very start of the game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Does anybody have an idea of what relic level monster ingredients you should not sell if you plan on crafting "x" thing later in the game? Just like in W2 I kept the Griffen remains because I anticipate finding some recipe later that uses it, but more common stuff like relic level monster brain, or relic venom extract, or relic level monster ear, I'm conflicted about selling that stuff. What are you guys doing with that stuff?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Spoilers for a side quest:

I just finished A Tower full of Mice. Inside the tower there is a locked door. Has anyone found the key? I scoured the entire loving island and didn't find it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

How is money acquisition in the larger world?

Because White Orchard is stingy as gently caress. It was all I could do to afford the Viper Sword set before 100%ing it.
Emerald dust is crazy expensive.

How to get money in this game: Explore, go to ? markers, kill everything you come across and sell their brains, testicles, and lovely weapons and armor. In the process of doing this, ? markers almost always have some form of master, magical, or relic level crafting mats/weapons/armor, recipes. This game rewards exploration hard - which is a fantastic bonus to walking around in such a pretty game. Basically if you ever come across a situation where you are missing X thing to build Y weapon/armor/thing go exploring - you'll either find the X thing outright, find items you can disassemble into X item, or you'll come back with the cash to buy whatever you want. The hard part actually is finding merchants who have enough cash lying around to buy your poo poo.

I typically never have less than 1k gold on me, which is nice when you come across a merchant that has a ton of poo poo you want - seriously, I pretty much bought out Keria's stock of recipes since she was carrying nearly all of the base oil recipes I was missing plus a few potions as well - I didn't bother buying them at the time, but she also carries recipes for lesser rune variants (they're pretty expensive).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Slanderer posted:

Wait, how do I interact with bees nests without just getting stung to poo poo?

Use igni, collect honeycombs after they drop off the trees.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where does the gwent tutorial guy go if you refuse to learn it when you first meet him? I didn't want to at first because I heard about the crashed, but now that I'm about to leave the area I want to learn how to play but he isn't in the tavern (and I waited for all times of day).

He doesn't help much anyway. If you just go and play you'll learn pretty fast.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I clicked on simulate witcher 2 save but didn't get any options, do they come up ingame or did something gently caress up?

A conversation you have later on will eventually take care of this.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Oh, Roche. Just doing Roche things.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I used fraps to take that shot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

randombattle posted:

Just whip it out and spray it all over everyone's faces. As long as you have the stamina it's a great finisher.

:laffo:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've been finding upgraded bomb schematics but I can't use any of them because I never have the base bomb. The only ones I can make are the default two and an ice bomb I bought from Keira. Where the hell are these things?

Check every alchemy and herbalist vendor you meet for schematics. I think I bought all of my missing schematics from Keira Metz.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm curious, has anyone here beaten it yet? It doesn't sound like most of you have even gotten to Novigrad.

I went to Novigrad for the first time yesterday only because I needed a Journeyman swordsmith and couldn't find one with what I had explored in Velen.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Anybody who thought or thinks that Keira wasn't just playing you the entire time doesn't really understand how sorceresses of the Lodge work.

All of them, every one I've met in the series has used Geralt in one way or the other. So, if in the end you killed Keira - pfft, one less conniving sorceress imo - probably planning something really terrible. Don't feel guilty at all. The only ones I give a poo poo about are Triss and Yen because of sentimentality. But I wouldn't feel bad if Geralt was just like, "I've had enough of this loving nonsense" and just hosed off forever leaving them to deal with their own poo poo mostly caused by their own wrong doing.

In my case I helped her out, but took the notes. I don't think Geralt is the kind of guy to be like, welp, you're screwed see ya, but he's also not the kind of guy to willingly let something so dangerous into the wild. So basically I think the "good" ending to that quest fits Geralt to a T

Edit: It's really easy based on Geralt's own experiences with shady sorceresses to see how Radovid came to the conclusion that all of them need to burn.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 22, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Hope someone mods in a little skyrim type compass when you're on horseback. Basically the best looking part of the game is riding places and it sucks to just be staring at the minimap the whole time.

I also hope someone mods in a way to untrack quests.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

What's the excuse for the persecution of non-humans?

Unabashed racism.

There is no real cause for the hatred and distrust of non-humans. And even though the really powerful ones are complete assholes, there's no real reason to run around burning every mage and sorceress at the stake either. I was just pointing out that Radovid grew up around Phillipa - a sorceress that took control of someone's mind while they cured them of a deadly poison.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Man, I'm just sitting here at work, it's a beautiful day outside, but the only thing on my mind right now is how I'm going to go home in about thirty minutes and be a loving cheeto dust covered nerd this weekend because goddamn this game is so good.

Send Help.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It's hard to judge how far I am exactly - I feel like, based on this thread, that I am lagging just a little behind the average goon. But tbh, I don't feel I've accomplished much at all in this game and I'm 30 hours in.

I'm definitely going to be one of those 100 hour completion guys.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The Crooked Warden posted:

So what's the deal with all the Chernobogg runestones adding 0 attack power?

Description bug. They have a chance to reflect damage according to what I've read.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Uhhh... Miss? I don't think you can wash that off.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Creepy Goat posted:

Potions are much shorter duration though, and you use them a lot faster. I can easily go through 4-6 potions in one mission which would be a nightmare to replen with all the herbs and monster bits. Just think of it like a 'concentrated' batch that you only add a few drops of to the alcohol to make each flask. I like the mechanic though, there's enough recipes to still have to go out in search of ingredients but it saves it being a repetitive chore considering how quickly you chug flasks.

Potions and oils are mostly of limited use until you get the enhanced versions I've found. Something like swallow is always good, but something like basic thunderbolt is like 20s duration at most. Basic oils are barely worth the effort at 10% damage and 20 hits.

Thankfully the superior versions of stuff make pretty much everything worthwhile. I pretty much permanently keep superior hangman's venom on my normal sword at all times, and since they're probably the most common enemy type - Nechrophrage oil is almost always on my silver sword. I've been having a ton of fun with the enhanced devil's puffball too. I'll throw that at a group of bandits and I'll have a nice little pile of loot all in one place to collect later.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

You can't interact with the blacksmith in Blackbough after fast traveling (might also happen after meditating, not sure). Saving and loading helps though, but still, very annoying.

This is the same thing for a bunch of blacksmiths. Meditating for an hour also works, as long as you mediate a ways away, because if you meditate too close he simply disappears until you meditate again.

I casually spent somewhere in the vicinity of 5k gold last night doing nothing but buying superior potion/bomb/alchemy substance recipes from Gremist, the rear end in a top hat druid. When you have a ton of recipes you begin to realize just how horrible the alchemy interface really is. It's just unwieldy.

Also, there appear to be a limited number of ekimmara hides in the game (three I think) and there are at least 4 oils that require it as an ingredient. As a completionist this triggers me. Also, there are a limited number of troll livers in the game as well and those are needed by a bunch of recipes too.

Basically one of the first things I want modded in are some spawns for monsters that are otherwise pretty rare.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Nakar posted:

The herbalist north of Oxenfurt mentioned there was a better herbalist than himself, a druid in Skellige. I got to Skellige but I have no idea where I'd go to look for druids nor which island they might be on. Roughly where is this person? I found a village herbalist but she's obviously not the person the herbalist was talking about.

If you talked to the Oxenfurt, hafling herbalist about alchemy mastery then you got a quest which pinpoints the location of said alchemist.

Please note: The guy at the end of this little hunt you're about to undertake is a total dick, but he sells a poo poo load of useful stuff when you are finally able to buy stuff from him - alot of it is really expensive. About 550 crowns a pop per superior bomb recipe.

On that exact note, I don't at all understand why superior potion recipes are like 70 crowns, but superior bombs break the loving bank. One of those things is wrong.

Edit: Also, you need white gull for superior potion recipes and also for making alchemy substances (vitriol, rebis, aether, etc.) - so you need two white gulls per superior potion, and one for superior bombs. And buying the ingredients for white gull is also expensive. I was rich when I first met that guy. I am now poor, but hey, what else am I going to spend the money on?

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Nilfgaardians: Not at all a lesser evil. I'm firmly in the position of "everyone in charge (of both sides) needs to go."