Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Badly Jester posted:

I don't think people are complaining about the narration by Dandelion, but rather the fact that you have to watch actual cutscenes/dialogs again. CDPR probably did that so you're not locked into decisions you might have to make during the conversation, but I'd also prefer the checkpoint afterwards - I save often enough.

There are technical reasons for this, they are not *good* technical reasons, but they are technical. And reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm curious, has anyone here beaten it yet? It doesn't sound like most of you have even gotten to Novigrad.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lord Lambeth posted:

oh hey I found a thing

anyone have a grenade?

classic easter egg

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's no time limit on any quests, right? I just agreed to do Of Swords and Dumplings but didn't realize that it was a level 24 quest. For the next part of the quest, I have to meet the smith at the docks after dusk and I'd like to be sure it's any dusk, not this one specific one.

Some missions do have time limits, but it's usually explicit. At the very minimum, it won't fail without being really obvious about it. If you fast travel away from someone and you instantly fail the quest, well, reload and don't let roche go into the village alone

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sounds a lot like I'm gonna want to reload then just to be sure. Thanks.

The one you are talking about, I'm 99% sure you can come back later.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah that quest is just chilling in my list right now

Rule of thumb, if they say they will meet you somewhere, they will generally wait around forever. If they say "follow me" or "come with me" it is timed. Keep in mind that some people need to be met with at certain times, it should always specify in the journal.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Broken Cog posted:

Oh CD Projekt.

Edit:
This quest is pretty funny.

Thanks

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Broken Cog posted:

Are you the one responsible for the stuff on that isle? One of my favourite areas so far. :)

Just that quest and some points of interest.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Baron Bifford posted:

What real-world accent matches that of the Nilfgaardians?

I think it's supposed to be dutch.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

Can anyone tell me where the merchant who will buy books for a good price is at? I saw his notice on the board but can't find him.

I think there's a bookseller in Novigrad. He's got a quest, too. I forget where he is, exactly.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies. Read some of the notices posted on the hanging people, the Nilfgaardians aren't exactly progressive. (btw they practice slavery) (also everyone is starving because one army or another stole all the food) (also unprovoked war of conquest)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Well that's what I mean, other than actually winning a war they don't seem any worse than the other armies. The only real difference I've noticed so far is the Nilfies seem happy to pay more for clearing nasties out of civilian areas.

But... "other than the war" is like saying "Other than the pedophilia, he's a pretty OK guy."

EDIT: Keep in mind that the other armies didn't start it, even radovid, megalomaniac mass murderer he is, is essentially reacting to a situation that Emhyr engineered. No matter your opinion on Nilfgaardian wartime law, they started all of this.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nakar posted:

The herbalist north of Oxenfurt mentioned there was a better herbalist than himself, a druid in Skellige. I got to Skellige but I have no idea where I'd go to look for druids nor which island they might be on. Roughly where is this person? I found a village herbalist but she's obviously not the person the herbalist was talking about.

East-middle part of Ard Skellig. There's a druid camp and also a sacred oak in that area.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Solartide posted:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

Please don't play our game, you don't deserve it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Everyone's raping and looting, though? It's a no man's land. The Baron just happened to suck up to the biggest outside player he could find to try and make his land grab legitimate.

Which never would have happened if the Nilfgaardians hadn't decided that the north needed a regime change.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Instead the raping and looting would've continued at any other place you've written raping and looting into the setting. :v:

My point is "I see no reason to hate them more than others" rather than "Nilfgaard is my flawless waifu".

And my response to that is that the reason you should hate them more than the others is because they are directly responsible for the situation. Does it matter? Is there a case to be made for saying "Well, hey, you guys did this bad thing but we have to make it work." ? Sure, but at the end of the day, foreign army in a place where no one wants them, participating in a war of conquest and theft... yeah, yeah they are worse than the other guys.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

The Nordlings seemed to be doing a pretty good job of raping and looting all on their own in the Upper Pontar Valley in the last game.

The scale of the conflict is completely different.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

And in the previous two games the other armies were just as capable of raping, looting and doing despicable stuff as the Nilfies. No Man's Land even goes out of its way to talk about how it wasn't just the Nilfgaard that were burning villages and razing fields, so I dunno man. If Foltest had survived and been in a position to do what his enemies are doing I have no doubt he'd jump at the chance to take advantage.

But Foltest wasn't in that position so it's ridiculous to say how bad he MIGHT have been IF the entire history of the fictional world were different.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

You're saying the Nilfgaardians are inherently bad then? I really don't know why you're taking such issue with people thinking all the armies are doing reprehensible poo poo in this game, dude.

Did you or did you not ask why everyone hates the Nilfgaardians??

And no, I didn't imply any such thing. You are being intentionally obstinate.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The very first thing I said regarding this discussion:

Me, from 20 minutes ago posted:

Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
This thread is full of neocons.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

NeurosisHead posted:

Hey man, I'm a legit bleeding heart liberal IRL; but the Northern Kingdoms are a nightmare shithole full of horrible horrible poo poo people. They need to be obliterated and rebuilt from a place of order and strength so that something even greater can grow from that. And given that (ending spoilers) Ciri can end up Empress, I think that might be able to actually happen one day.

You are the worst liberal.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

I asked what reason the game gave me for hating the Nilfgaardians more than any of the game's many, many dickheads. You instantly jumped into making a comparison about defending someone who is a pedophile. :iiam:

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

And my argument was that it didn't seem worse than other activities the other nations are doing, hence why I clarified my comment about seeing everyone as equally dickish rather than the Nilfgaardians to be morally superior. Also lmao at the fascism thing. I know the Witcher 3's your baby dude, but you could be a little less dramatic about this.

The nations you describe don't exist. You talk about the northern realms raping and pillaging, but what you are seeing is not the "northern realms" but the remnants of their army. Nilfgaard invaded a foreign land, destroyed their institutions, and anarchy (predictably) followed in its wake.

As for the fascism, I'm not directing that at you, that's to the guys talking about how the north needs the oppressive hand of order backed up by a "strong leader".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RandallODim posted:

This conversation has got me interested: What's your position on the choices in (Late-game semi-optional quest spoilers) assassinating/not assassinating Radovid and setting up Dijkstra versus sinking the North for vassal Temeria?

Depends on who I am, if I'm Geralt it's none of my business, but I haven't actually played that far so I don't know exactly how that situation is presented. (But it's probably none of my business.) If we're talking about me as a player gently caress radovid.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

Most modern nation-states are a result of strong leaders imposing order. :can: With the notable exception of :poland: who accidentally a democracy in 1989. :glomp:

No, they are the result of strong institutions.

My argument is simply that both armies are terrible, war is hell, slavery is bad, and imperialism is a bad thing. If that's "spergy", god help us.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cram me sideways posted:

Jesus, I'm barely like five quests in and I am sick to tears of the loving "use your witcher senses to find thing" quests. I bet over 50% of your playtime is spent walking circles looking for glowing poo poo to click so you can move on to the next leg of a quest. It's horrible. It's a really bad hidden object game. I wanted to keep going this morning but lo and loving behold I had to stomp around a camp looking for clues AGAIN and I just loving despaired and turned it off.

I'm playing it on baby mode already; just loving have a button prompt showing me where the maguffin is, or just put it on the minimap. Who thinks this part of the game is fun? It was horrible in the tutorial and it doesn't get better when I'm running around in the woods flapping my arms looking for zombie turds or whatever.

There's an option in the UI that will display clues on the minimap, makes the investigations pretty trivial.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

grimcreaper posted:

It frustrates me to no end that you can't attack any of the priests of the eternal fire. Why the hell not? Those people are loving scumbags but I can murder all the guards I want.

There's a priest near Mulbrydale that asks you to burn some bodies for him and he's set to auto-dismember in one hit

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

I was amused when Roche yells at Ves for going into combat with her tits hanging out.

The Polygon review called this out for being "the snake eating it's own tail" of videogame sexism, which is pretty funny. I also suspect that this line is the story team taking a shot at the character team, so that's also pretty funny. A lot going on with this one dumb joke.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Most of of the EN actors are legit english, nearly all our recording is done in London. Letho is welsh.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
All the different locales in the game have their own distinct accents associated with them, which is something you miss out on if you play in anything other than EN.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

MinibarMatchman posted:

I just started his questline and I'm curious why he's like, the only character with an incredibly American accent

All the wolf school witchers have american accents. Vesimir is a little mid-atlantic, but still clearly american.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
<3 <3 <3 Yennifer <3 <3 <3

People who prefer Triss are boring.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Levantine posted:

Redheads man. Maybe it is you who are boring?

triss never engages geralt in a pun-battle = super boring

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I want you guys to watch this video on youtube called "Loose Orens".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Ghosts of the Past question: what happens if you don't intervene when Letho is "killed" by the crossbow? My second playthrough will have him flagged as dead and I don't want to go back on my choice to save him, but I'm curious.

Geralt either intervenes or convinces them to take his medallion instead of his head.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Baron Bifford posted:

Stupid. The Witcher is based on Slavic mythology and in medieval times it was rare for white people to encounter people of color because travel was hard.

I don't want to get involved in this for lots of good reasons, but I will say one thing here, regarding this point, which I hear a lot without much push back. The ethnic homogeneity of modern Poland is a modern creation, the result of the 20th century. The idea that a white person would never see someone non-white in the middle ages just isn't true. And fantasy lit promotes this. Just as an example, in the 13th century much of Poland was ruled over by the Moguls. Even after the empire retreated, a lot of those people were still around. That's just one really obvious and well known example, but the history of migration and ethnic diversity in Europe is not at all as homogeneous as you'd expect from reading Tolkien.

Of course, this all gets weird because "white" is an 18th century idea that would have been foreign to people in the middle ages. They absolutely had the idea of ethnic classes, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) not the same sort of white-overclass/poc-underclass we're talking about here. That (modern) dynamic gets mirrored in the Witcher universe by having the non-human races stand in for people-of-color, but as people have pointed out, that creates other problems with lack of representation as well as othering.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I thought that being able to turn candles on and off was really cool.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

My dislike from Yen, at the moment, comes from her making GBS threads on Geralt for using amnesia as an excuse to "cheat" on her. It's like woman, he literally had no recollection of who he was and you weren't in any sort of contact. :wtc:

Getting ready to do Skellige quests though so maybe she'll grow on me.

It's not that it's not an excuse, it's that he won't shut the gently caress up about it. She's allowed to be angry and then Geralt keeps deflecting her anger with "I didn't know". Yeah I'd teleport you into a lake too.

EDIT: And yeah, she also had amnesia and she didn't gently caress Lambert, so shut up and let her be mad.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Quote-Unquote posted:

This game has finally knocked Ultima VII off my number one all time game spot.

Feeling equal parts pride and rage.