Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Picked this up in the steam xmas sale and as a result my child is experiencing what it's like to have no father. Managed to sink 160 hours in just running about doing oddjobs and exploring, just about to hit level 26.
Anyone else get mad season 2 of Rome vibes from the gangs of Novigrad stuff? I even sounds like some of the voice actors from the colligium segment of that show. similarly, the Pellar sounds spookily like the late Pete Postlethwaite and I'm properly amazed the Bloody Baron isn't actually Marc Addy of Robert Baratheon fame.
Only issue I'm really having now is combat seems to have become highly trivial since about lvl 20 onwards, I do miss getting my rear end absolutely handed to me and having to run the gently caress away like a squealing 12 yr old girl. Are there more higher level enemies ahead or have i just overlevelled myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

RBA Starblade posted:

The true challenge is in deciding if you want to go three hours out of your way around a mountain, or if you dare face the fearsome one degree incline. Will you instantly die? Will you survive? Who knows!

There should definitely be a trophy for getting to the top of some of the peaks on Skellige.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Really the only fault I can find in this game thus far is the music. Not that it's bad (other than the theme that comes in when you get near the main Nilfgardian army camp in the east) but there's not enough variety and what there is loops way too quickly.
I've spent so long wandering and exploring now that some of it is beginning to grate, is it easy enough to mod in some new tracks from, say, the skyrim ost or such?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

fspades posted:

:shittypop: You might be the only person in existence that complains about the music in this game. It's incredible and there is a ton of it too when you compare it to other open-world RPGs. Skyrim? Please.

How far are you into the game? Each of the big three regions has its own soundtrack, and then there is the DLC.

I love most of the music in the game, but it does loop way too quickly. Wander about Skellige for a few hours and you'll be hearing that same theme in your sleep it's repeated so many times.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

fspades posted:

That's more of a problem of TW3 being a drat long game that takes 100+ hours to complete though.

Hence the skyrim comparison, I sunk way more hours into that and never became distracted by repetition in the same way.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I much prefer the Ciri alternate look, it at least has some armour going on rather than relying purely on the power of almost visible titties to distract opponents.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Pellisworth posted:

Nope, no difference in alcohol used. One unit of any hard alcohol is used to refill all your alchemy stuff every time you meditate, that's it.

Save the expensive stuff (Redanian Herbal, Mandrake Cordial, etc) for making White Gull.

Also, buy as much of that poo poo as you can early on because there's few merchants that sell them and loving everything needs white gull.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm halfway through L27 and pretty much run out of things to do sidequest wise, and so many of them only seem to give 1 or 2 xp it's pretty hard to level up with any degree of swiftness. Which is fine I guess, I'm just wanting to hit 29 so I can upgrade my gear and it's taking forever.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

Apparenly someone leaked some information about Blood and Wine on the CDProjekt and it looks at least 146% legit:

My butthole just pucked at the Brotherhood of the Wolf stuff. If you've not seen that movie, anyone, sort that the gently caress out now.
It's the best period drama conspiracy whodunnit martial arts monster movie with nude Monica Belluci's boobs dissolving into mountains you're likely to see. Oh, also Vincent Cassell. Seriously, it loving owns.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

twistedmentat posted:

Man that's sad when you meet the woman who knew Vesamir. I guess if you haven't bothered to do that part of the game and met her it would have different dialog?

I met her earlier, unaware of what was coming in the main quest, so i expect there's different dialog for each. Only one person has commented on my face brand though.

In related news, these shades are possibly the best addition in any DLC of any game.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

I've got 3 or 4 superior blade oil formulas to find and still got a fuckton of those to cross off the list as well :(

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh I have so much good equipment that require level 39, and I have 153 xp to get it. But of course all quests and enemies are grey to me now.

Dammit, I want to use the Viper Silver Sword!

Nekker killing spree.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, holy poo poo there's actually an achievement for ski-sliding down the mountains in Skellige. Found it totally by accident.

They should really have made one for getting to the top of some of the peaks because goddamn.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I stumbled across that by accident also, i think i picked up a scent rail or footprints that was nothing to do with my currently active quest. So maybe more than 1% found it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, the alternate dialogue is Geralt basically saying, "You lied to me." and then the quartermaster saying "Well you didn't need to know." And Geralt can refuse payment.

I called him out on it and refused his blood money and things got a bit frosty but then we played gwent together and he's all 'honour and glory' whenever I stop by.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've about 40 left in Skellige to do and I will get those last 3 superior oil formulas if it kills me.
Doing this has alerted me to the only glitch i've had in this game - the whales.
I see the top part moving, then it pauses, then moves again, pauses, and then once more before the tail animation plays. Seems such an odd thing to be bugging out, everything else runs fine.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
300 hours in, all the sidequests done, hearts of stone done, and I believe i'm only a few missions away from main quest completion and I'm not sure if i'm holding off completion more to find superior loving relict oil and get all the gwent cards for completions sake or that I just really don't want it to be over.
I do hope Blood + Wine will be recommended lvl 45 or so as it'd be a shame to fire up my character and it to be a stroll through.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

MikeC posted:

Different strokes for different folks. Engaging in the main quest only really helps keep you focused. Also turn off the question mark indicators on the overworld map so you don't feel tempted or obligated to visit them.

I recommend just turning off the mini map and pulling up the main one when you need to navigate, I kept finding I was just staring at it to much.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So, i lack superior elementa oil, probably one loving gwent card, succubus + doppler decoction (as there's no evil ones) and there's 2 locations that won't clear (one in the DLC and one in Skellige) but other than that, everything done. Empress ending. The mechanic of the ending decision being based on your parenting moments throughout the game is outstanding. Only complaint really is Eredin was a total pussy and went down like a trash bag full of grease. Caranthir was a much more satisfying fight.

If Blood and Wine want's to be announced sometime soon that'd great thanks.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Arcsquad12 posted:

That audio problem I mentioned earlier is getting worse. Music seems to cut out and there's an echo to everybody's voice. The sound balancing is all off and I will hear one NPC's voice blasting in one ear while being completely silent in another. It is seriously making playing the game uncomfortable, but I cannot find anything that seems to match the problem I'm having.

I had that a lot too, especially in the epiloguey animatics that play at the end of story sections, the dialog is almost totally inaudible.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Evfedu posted:

Is there some sort of "you're an idiot newbie, do this to find your feet" guide for this game?

I'm really enjoying what I'm playing BUT I am just constantly broke. I've finished the first tutorial act and just finished up the Shrieker quest, but that's where my problems really kicked in. The whole thing about the shrieker was that it was meant to be weak to the force push sign but actually the way to beat it is to just flick to "exploding shield" and take nothing but a bit of bleeding damage for the whole fight. That was v. dumb.

So far I've assigned a bunch of points to the jedi mind trick (for conversations) the fast attack and blocking. Not committed any mutagens but making money just seems nigh on impossible. I do all the quests, all the question marks, all that crap but starting the second map running into level 9 ghouls/bandits I just feel horrendously underpowered. Money for better gear feels like the way to solve this, but that's probably because right now I'm playing it like Dark Souls with more talking.

Loot question marks, sell gear on to appropriate merchants for maximum cash. You will get your rear end handed to if you try and take on stuff too far above your level, get used to running away and coming back for vengeance later.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Can you add a vendor in blood and wine that sells the locations of whatever superior oil formulas the player has missed by that point and the like because fun as it is systematically looting every peasant hovel across the gameworld for what feels like the third time i might begin to cry.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

After I've been to every alchemy vendor in the world and was still missing formulas and a few components, I just consoled up for the rest. I recommend you do the same.

That feels far too much like defeat. Also Gwent is good even if i do always end up murdering myself with scorch every time i use it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

WrightOfWay posted:

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

Scoia'tel has a helluva lotta medics, which can be hilariously chained together.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

Might be coming out June 7th.

That's the best happy birthday to me in a while if it turns out to be true.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I don't know that I saw O'Dimm as 'evil incarnate' as such, I don't think a being in that aspect would have any reason to respect the rules of the games it sets. Capricious and dangerous certainly.

Regardless, I'mstoked for the expansion, and hope the rumoured 'Brotherhood of the wof' influence is there, though it's clearly going to be vampire centric as well.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I cleared every question mark in Skellige (except for one that won't register as done which is annoying me more than I can put into words) and still missing a couple of oil formulas. I started ransacking every peasant hovel, barn, palace and squat in the northern realms and found a couple more but 300+ hours in and I've yet to complete my collection.

tl;dr, learn from my mistakes and don't go clearing all the ?'s in Skellige the poo poo you're looking for is not there.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Gonkish posted:

How wrong is it that I'm looking at those four women and trying to discern which ones Geralt is gonna bang?

Geralt of Rivia does not merely pick 'one'.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
The fight in that polygon video looks like it's trying to emulate the fight in the 'night to remember' trailer, which I'm 100% behind and was quite sad was never actually in the base game in some form.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Arcsquad12 posted:

Almost certainly a reference considering the city in that trailer was in touissant

poo poo, you're right, I'd have sworn it was Novigrad. The rest of the trailer looks very much like the standard Velen locations certainly.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
If Ciri isn't in Cyberpunk in some form i'll be greatly disappointed.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Is the art book/soundtrack bundle limited to the current special offer? Because that is some lame poo poo right there.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
It's not as cool a trailer as the HoS one, but I'm sold regardless.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

I believe that the alchemy is only really viable if you put a bunch of points in it, so it's more of NG+ thing.

Personally, I used Fast Travel From Anywhere and Perks Always Active. FTFA works fine, I've beat the entire game with it, just make sure to never fast travel before you are reasonably sure you are out of a quest zone. The bit after you leave Whoreson's base is the spot where people usually gently caress up and fast travel before leaving the compound.

I prefer the one that takes the dirty lens when looking towards the suneffect off because i'm a photographer and that effect causes me to twitch and look around for a cleaning cloth.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

quote:

Fixes issue whereby Geralt's clothing was not properly restored after sex scenes.

I respectfully request that this remain unfixed.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I keep dying to everything. What can I do to die less? I'm level six and pretty much every mob I encounter has a fifty percent chance of killing me, forcing a reset. I feel like I have a grasp on the movement and combat mechanics, but the game isn't purely skill-based, so I'm wondering if there's some specific places I should be spending my Ability Points to make my life easier?

Don't lock on in groups, dodge like gently caress (rolling uses stamina), aard and igni are great for crowd control, stick with light attacks, deal with archers as soon as possible.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Guessing there's no pre-load? With my internet it's about an hour per gb so be fair while after the 7 hour launch before I can get started :(

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
2 bugs encoutered thus far, firstly, this happened after i exited merchant dialog, reloaded to an earlier save and was still in the samew room but the merchant had respawned, and after entering dialog and exiting again it fixed itself.

Secondly, the quest 'Till death do you part', I don't appear to be getting any gwent cards from the buried spot in the garden despite Geralt saying 'oh hey sweet gwent cards'. Haven't tried handing in the quest to the guy that gave me it in the first place yet, so I'll report back if that fixes it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So I'm guessing I'm supposed to be able to slide down this rope I found in an area that you don't to be able to return to after doing the'main thing'in it? Because I can only examine it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope, Look for some protruding blocks in the walls in that area. One's too far away to hit with signs, so you need to use a bomb.

I got the door open no problem, (arrows are a safer bet than bombs), but are you not meant to be able to get down that rope at all? I don't recall finding the area at the other side of it