Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just a general lore question that Witcher 3 isn't very clear on. The North going apeshit on mages was only 1 of the possible outcomes in Witcher 2. I imported the save where Triss spilted the beans on the lodge of sorceress and a new conclave was to be set up. Does the game not track that outcome or did something cause Radovid to just be like meh, off with their heads.

I am in Novigrad atm, not yet gone to skelliage or whatever island Is it revealed later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am accumulating a lot of coloured mutagens. After combining them to greater types is there any further progression? If not is there a place that offers more than 2 coins for them?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

exquisite tea posted:

I'm liking this game immensely so far and I never really got into the original Witcher or its world. It drops you into a setting where there's a general sense of urgency, a strong plot hook and some desire to advance the story, but at the same time it doesn't overwhelm you with feature bloat right away. The quests in the starting area unfold the game's mechanics to you in an intuitive format that doesn't become boring. Inquisition was the last RPG I played that managed to accomplish the same thing, and I actually managed to finish that campaign, so I think I'm gonna make it through this one.

Don't know how far you are but I was wondering how a player with little or no exposure to W1 and 2 is faring with the plethora of characters. I loved both W1 and 2 and played through them again prior to Witcher 3 and a lot of characters I already have opinions of and have vested interest of sorts in.

As a new player do the things like the love triangle in the game seem important or engaging to you? For example I was thrilled as gently caress when in mid Act 1 I could crush Yennifer's soul after breaking the Djinn spell. Triss was a lodge member but she always seemed to at least torn when having to do something shady to you in the first 2 games. Meanwhile Yen treats you like a loving dog and expects you to like it cuz she spreads her legs for you on occasion

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Accordion Man posted:

I found it pretty understandable that Yen was being bitchy to people like Ermion and doing questionable poo poo like necromancy because her adopted daughter is potentially dead or kidnapped by dimension-hopping elves out of a heavy metal album cover and she is rightly stressed out over it.

I never read the books but everyone you meet in the game make it clear that Yen is a total bitch and that she would be doing this kind of poo poo if it was her favourite pajamas that were lost instead of Ciri. Keira's quote to Geralt is especially hilarious with regards to this.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Quick witcher universe lore question.

Are Succubus inherently evil in any way? I don't remember if we ran into one in W1 but the ones in Kings and Wild Hunt seem to be like benign for the most part. They just seem to lure men, seduce them, and basically trade "energy" for mind blowing sex. It also appears they don't kill unless they have to as they like to build a stable client base.

Is there anything in the books to suggest that Geralt should actually just kill all succubus he meets or is the letting them go options that are presented in the game the non dick choice for Geralt?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can I do a heavy armor/alchemy build on DM, or must I use a jedi build focused on fast attack, Aard, and Axii?

If you can learn monster dodge and attack patterns, you can build whatever you want in any difficulty. It's just a matter of efficiency at that point

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A lot of early game troubles has to do with the fact that the player doesn't know monster attack, dodge, and counter attack patterns along with learning how your own dodge works. You just have to sit down and die a bunch of times and just be mindful to learn how the opponents attack in the game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Dude I just watched your video. Just camp in between the 2 tables where you were at 30s. You get a good combo in and then you leave the protection of the tables at 38s and let them surround you. WTF? Just stay there, make them come to you one at a time and combo them and retreat.

edit: do not dodge unless they are throwing a punch. You will end up getting punched when your dodge animation ends before you have time to start it up again

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
There are no combos in the game from what I can tell. Only staggers and counterattack windows. everytime you swing you have a chance to stagger your enemy. Probably damaged based along with the +% stagger modifier. If they stagger you can always fast attack for free and dodge before they can retaliate. All mobs have a counter attack animation that triggers after a certain time after they miss an attack. Unless you manage to stagger them out of the attack animation, you will get hit if you keep swinging.

edit: to clarify, all mobs are unique in their counter attack windows. Nekkers are different from drowners are different from ghouls. The best way to find out is just to get a solo mob, dodge his attack and then mash fast attack until you get hit. That tells you how much time you have. Different attacks from each mob generate different counter windows but that should be that bad since each mob really only has 2 or 3 attacks.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 9, 2015

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Snak posted:

I am terrified of standing there, because at least 6 times that I have almost won, I have accidentally dodged backwards and been stuck behind an invisible wall. When this happens, I can't reach the enemies and they can't reach me and I have to reload.

never dodge if you are safe. just parry and fast attack counter as many times as possible without getting out of position. edit this is for fist fighting. There is never a reason to dodge in a fist fight unless you are about to get surrounded.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Snak posted:

I understand how this works with one opponent. I don't understand how it works with three.

hence using the 2 tables to block you off

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Snak posted:

getting to the other side of the room without rolling is extremely difficult for me.

If I streamed my worthless attempts at this fight, would anyone watch it?

I think you just need to relax.

1) Going back to your video. You had the fight won at 30s and then threw it away at 38s. Once you are in a position where you cannot be surrounded. simply parry each attack and counter. It will be mindblowingly boring but you will win. Fist fighting in this game is one of the few items that are half baked in this game and its awful.

2) Your worry that this might end up loving you over because of some plot device is also the wrong way to approach this game. The reason why all the consequences are not spelled out in the game is so that you the player can go about and act NATURALLY without trying to metagame an outcome. They want you to be Geralt and do what you want to do.

VVVV Don't button mash. Don't kneejerk dodge. Find the block button, time the parry, hit fast attack twice, reverse back in between the tables. Profit VVVV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 9, 2015

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Haha, the economy in this game is hosed. Its actually funny when Emyr offers to pay you the reward money and says you can live the rest of your life without doing another contract ever, but by then I was like, 'bro, i got TEN TIMES whats in that lovely box of yours already'

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

exquisite tea posted:

There is officially too much stuff to do in this game. I'm 15 hours deep and have barely cleared out even half the question marks in Velen.

So far I liked that missing wife sidequest the best. Things get devilishly hosed up if you don't take the sister's bribe and keep pressing the investigation.

Take the time to explore now and appreciate the relaxed exploration.

Once you go past act 1, the story picks up in terms of urgency and it feels weird to go off and do a contract when you have urgent business to attend to.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Ugh, been trying to figure out if I should wait for paid DLCs to drop before I go back and try to get a non lovely ending for myself. Who else got the the lovely ending the first time through?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone have a particularly cool or interesting build not involving the sword tree? Getting the lovely ending is making me want to play it over again but I'll try a different build this time, even though I feel the quintessential witcher experience is to roll around and decapitate foes endlessly. If someone has a neat signs build that does something unique, please post. I want to try to be bombardier witcher too but the reliance on chance to get some of the better bomb recipes scare me.

edit: Was basically full on Sword tree splashing axii delusion and 6 quen for the health recharge shield in cat gear

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
hopefully they do a Letho spinoff

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Alasyre posted:

I got the bad ending (regarding Ciri) my first time, because honestly, the "bad" options don't really come off as bad, at least by the dialogue options. The only good thing I did was go to Skellege to bury Skjall and I didn't take her to the Emperor, so I missed out on that (I wouldn't have taken the coin). However, playing a second time, the "right" choices really do come off as genuinely better when they play out.

Also, I thought I missed dice poker until I reinstalled the original game and played dice poker. Gwent 4 lyfe. I'm also convinced that, in between games, Lambert was subjected to a curse that made him go from cool witcher with some attitude to annoying prick.

I got the bad ending too, basically it comes down to if you are being still too parental it seems.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Maybe true but I it is not immediately obvious that the option is shutting her down, I was expecting a more investigative line of dialogue rather than just trashing the place.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ravenfood posted:

So we're cool with the Cat dude's actions up until he kills the people fleeing?

I think most people would agree that its more than complicated than just walk away and get cheated vs massacre every living thing in the village. Killing the assholes in the barn is ok, but murdering all the innocents in a blind rage is not ok. I would have been ok even if he simply barged into every home and robbed them blind but murdering defenseless people who did nothing bad other than live in the wrong village is just wrong.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Arcaeris posted:

I feel the exact opposite way. I haven't finished this game, but lets look at the last two leading to this one. I'll spoiler just in case.

You help Foltest in 1, Foltest dies in a cutscene 2
You save Henselt in 2 as a major quest event, Henselt is killed between 2 and 3
Kalkstein is pivotal in 1, Kalkstein dies in between 2 and 3
You kill the head of the military arm of the Church of the Eternal Fire in 1, no one cares in 2 or 3.
On and on and on.

It seems like you can make all the choices you want within one of the games and it will feel like you had an impact in that game, but then between games they put everything back to the "true witcher canon" when the next game starts, so it's like none of it mattered.

Comparing it to Bioware, it'd be like if you chose to save Ashley in Mass Effect 1 and then when you started Mass Effect 2, some character just mentions randomly "Ashley died in a Geth attack."

It would be pretty difficult to craft a open world responsive enough to fit in 2 games worth of important decisions. I mean does Temeria even get invaded if Foltest doesn't die? The choice variation of outcomes within each game though is quite impressive.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I played all 3 games without knowing anything about the books and the necromancy scene was pretty horrific. Facial expressions or no, Yen came off as a don't give a gently caress about anything except myself especially when it came right after forcing me to steal a mask for her.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Sharmat posted:

Well she was doing it for Ciri, not herself. In both cases.

I mean you can call that selfish I guess, but I think if "A mother willing to do virtually anything for her daughter" is selfish then 'selfish' and 'selfless' are pretty useless ways to describe people.

Most people have boundaries of what is in good taste. Its sort of why we don't think torturing suspected terrorists for intel is good policy.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
It took me a month after finishing the game yet still following this thread to get that. We aren't given any of that information though, hence why I thought for most of the game that Yen was a big douche bag. Anyways this conversation seems to get recycled every few pages so I'll stop but I just wnated to point out from a person who played all 3 witcher games, if all you had to go on was the history given to you buy CDPR, Yen comes off in a bad light.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Iron Rose posted:

I have to agree. gently caress Triss, or better yet, don't.

Whether she knew about the lodge or not is kinda irrelevant given that she pretty much raped Geralt wrt the amnesia.

I follow this thread on and off and I love how it is nothing more than an endless circular debate between which women The Witcher should bang.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Sharmat posted:

I find it interesting how the comparative merits of two characters are instantly rendered trivial by the main character being able to bang them. No one ever made comments like this about Roche vs. Iorveth back in TW2 days.

I don't think its trivial at all. I think it says a lot that Roche vs Iorveth never got to this point. Maybe the game was just not as popular so we didn't have an endless influx of new commentators? Or perhaps the contrast between the 2 magic wielding women is sufficient and deep enough to keep this going. However, regardless of the comparative merits of Triss and Yen, it does quite often boil down to which one the player prefers to bang.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone here played the latest metal gear? Good pickup for someone who liked W3?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Do they have any hints on how Blood and Wine will be integrated into the game and at what level you should access the content? I haven't done any of the paid DLC stuff yet and I am starting a slow replay. I am trying to time it to the end of April I'll be at the right level to do Heart of Stone and then hopefully have Blood and Wine as well.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

oswald ownenstein posted:

Just can't stay into this game

Don't even know how far I am...mostly did that southern swampy area, now I'm doing some skellige and the other huge city.

It just gets so slogged down with sidequests and points of interest that I end up running around in a 3d world all the time (the most boring activity you can do in a game) and just put it down for another 3 months

The pacing is off. There's hardly any real dungeons in the game - most areas are just a couple fights, and a boss fight. It's just talk 20%, move around in 3d space 60%, and combat 20%

I think there's such a thing as 'too big'

Different strokes for different folks. Engaging in the main quest only really helps keep you focused. Also turn off the question mark indicators on the overworld map so you don't feel tempted or obligated to visit them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The OP should really have a bolded first paragraph that reads 'Don't sweat, The Witcher is great not because of the loot or combat, or the huge game world. It's great because of the stories you find in the game, both large and small, and how you get to interact in it'

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Avalon wtf? Never knew this bit.

The represtation of Triss in the first two games seems much at odds with Triss in the 3rd game. Even though the voice actress changed from the first game, even in the 2nd game she was much less wishy washy woe is me.

Even within W3 she swings wildly at times

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I totally ignored gwent the first playthrough. Doing a slow paced 2nd playthrough while waiting for Blood and Win and said 'gently caress it, might as well do a competitionist run' and now all I can think of is finding the next gwent rare. Digitial roleplay cardboard crack. :swoon:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Red Mundus posted:

No I'm doing the quest to get 3 gwent cards for Zoltan. So far all of them take place in cramped location/indoors. Makes parrying a bitch when the camera can't sit loving still.

Síle de Tansarville posted:

Yrden! USE THE YRDEN!!!!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Morality check question about the Nithing. Just wondering how goon justice would apply here and what people ending up picking. This was actually one of the tougher decisions I remember having to make the first time around and I am stuck again on this one.

The first time around, I went with forcing Lothar back with the bitch and everyone stays alive on the least amount of harm done principle but I can't shake the feeling the herbalist deserves to die for targeting a kid even though the Lothar is a slimeball. I don't need any recipes from her so that isn't a factor atm.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thats cool, she lived last time so I guess she can die this time.

I still can't help but think the 0 death count solution is messier but less vindictive.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
lol they retracted immediately

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sebmojo posted:

Lambert and Keira :swoon:

This would be my first choice as well

Ice Fist posted:

Goddamn that Polygon review

I assume that site has an agenda of some sort? I mean entire sections devoted to depiction of women and lack of colored people?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
downvoting any Ciri expansion/new game. I kind of feel she is one of the weakest cast members along with Triss.

I would really love a sorceress game. Either a yen or Keira game/expansion. Maybe show us some of Nilfgaard or Zerrekania. Alternatively a Letho origin story.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
There are some choices of minor consequences in the previous game. But don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Deakul posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Ciri is one of the best characters in the game next to Yen, Dijkstra, and Bart the Troll.

Maybe her voice actor irritated me from the get-go? I didn't find her that compelling.