Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Any advice on which attributes are fun to level up on Witcher I? Playing for the first time, in order. Also curious how long it takes to beat as everybody keeps telling me the second one is even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
edit

Reloaded a few times, bug fixed.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 2, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Witcher II bug that hit me three loving nights this week or some poo poo I'm gonna beat up a member of CD projekt red feel free to warn them: When I come out of fat bald man's place, his guards are standing there, my weapons should be in the crate, and sometimes I even see the crate's contents for a half a second. It disappears, I approach it from 1500 angles and all I can do is light the nearby torch .No other options. Probably wasted a dozen hours as this is the second time I've gotten this one, and have to reload old saves and start over. This is in chapter 1 if it helps, trying to finish all the little side quests before I take on the kayran.

Anyone have a fix for this? All the google hits are about an unrelated, second crate bug.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ice Fist posted:

Let's see if I can't break this down into a mini-guide

That's all I can think of right now. If anybody can fill in some info on medium armor and magic that'd be great since I've never used that tree before.

Thanks for those posts, really helpful stuff. I just beat Witcher 2 so that story is fresh in my mind, losing the left control button as the time slow down and spell changer button is weird, do you folks have any opinions on the default PC hotkeys for W3? I might just keep them, I imagine it changed for a reason. Slow and fast attacks seem like a fun throwback to Witcher 1 even though I barely played it, I imagine it's preference like almost everything in these games as most playstyles seemed viable in Witcher 2.

Final advice needed: There are like 20 free DLCs, it seems weird to do cosmetic ones when I don't even know if I'll love the default ones yet, any opinions on doing a vanilla playthrough then flipping all the switches on after or towards the end? Or are there some that you wish you installed for your first playthrough?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I like the level system and how it's not a huge deal like in MMOs, I do agree even though Witcher 2 on normal was easy, it was weird that the tutorial never let me sample or really understand most of the abilities I have to on the fly determine if I want or not for the next 50 hours, a die hard fan would probably love this as a reason to play again but go sign focus rather than swords, but as much as I loved 2 and love 3 so far, I think I need a few month or a year break before I want to repeat this huge of a game.

Ultimately the skill system means gently caress all when you've got one of the best looking, smoothest playing and definitely most well written games ever.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I try not to read the thread too much because of spoilers, and I mostly read Comte's posts for some inside news from my favorite game company. But I was wondering has he ever mentioned the in house reaction to the president of the USA holding up a video game they made and pretending he's going to figure out how to play it but also saying it represents Poland's ability to succeed in the new world economy?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

cmykjester posted:

The Witcher 2 is pretty short but you may actually want to play through it twice due to how the story plays out. Honesty looking back Witcher 2 feels like the odd man out in the series as its like a more like an action game than a sprawling RPG like the first game and Wild Hunt.

I didn't beat it for like 70 hours, am I bad or did you just not arm wrestle or side quest enough? I think is probably is the most 'accessible' to newcomers of the three games to fully beat, making it maybe the best option to recommend to friends. It also goes on sale for $2.50, so they're likely to actually take your advice on a game purchase.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sapkowski weighing in on his opinion of the Witcher video games.

Watch the comments section tearing him apart and thinking he hates video games just because he says he has better things to do. What exactly were these people expecting from a guy whose seventy? Its the same epople who get hung up on canon.

I also bought the books because of the games, so I wouldn't let his opinion change mine either way. I like that even though he does watch movies and does not play any video games he still managed to compliment the game devs several times and disregard the movie as very lovely.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah the Last of Us was also pretty good. We need more Dad-adoptive daughter games.

Woody Allen's new RPG is coming soon-yish

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whoa, Witcher 2 Geralt sounds different. Certainly can't yell as well as Witcher 3 Geralt, but I kind of like his conversational voice being more laid back and less Christian Bale with throat cancer. Doesn't sound as intimidating, but he's smoother.

It's almost as though he was previously a younger man with less injuries and STIs and stuff :smuggo:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Ok this is mostly spoilers, first play through and trying to make the right decisions. Try to answer without spoiling more than the question needs, please.

I killed the spirit mother bog bitch and the bloody baron still wants to go back and save his wife. Read the quest wiki. If I don't want the baron to hang himself, is that an option? Accept the quest but never go, or if I decline the quest does he still go back and end up hanging himself anyway?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah there's another outcome, it deals with the tree spirit.

I'm back in the room with the baron now, my options are to follow him or go on my way to Novigrad. Not sure if I didn't understand your answer or if I'm just further than you think I am.

I killed the tree spirit before I returned to the baron

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CVagts posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet (it probably has), but if you bought the DLCs digitally and want yourself some Gwent cards, now's your chance.

http://redeemgwent.com/

Thanks for the quest help all, also how much does the gwent set cost? Doesn't show up on the store without that code. Debating on buying Hearts of Stone even though I'm only 30 hours into the game, it's not likely to be discounted in the steam summer sale is it?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I did one better. :)

My troll quest got cut, though :(

Are you allowed to tell us about it or why it was cut? Wanna play that quest

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 11, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

I AM BRAWW posted:

lmao, doing the Dragonslayer Grotto for Griffin Armor hunt, just defeated the Ekimmara (thanks to the bestiary for making fun of me expecting vampires to look like undead humans, forgot about that) and a level fuckin 20 Leshen or whatever teleported down into the cave with a sliver of HP left.

I'm level 8

Same thing happened to me yesterday and I think I'm level 7 and still don't know what a Leshen is. I was all proud I killed my first vampire and then a thing shooting tree roots or something almost dropped me.

Has anyone ever done an entire build of armor/weapons/skills around igni? I want to be retarded, more than I am

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Regy Rusty posted:

If you go to NG+ the DLC will be balanced around NG+ engame levels

Don't do it

What does this entail/mean exactly? I was told I should download whichever free DLC drops the level of the cool cave armors from 11 to 8, literally the only thing bad about the Witcher 3 is that Skyrim vibe where I go "it's too big there's too much I don't want to break anything so I won't play today"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
At what level can I expect to find and kill trolls in Witcher 3? I loved the troll quests in the second game, some wild ones I actually want to kill instead of befriend sounds like a new challenge.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Han Nehi posted:

it is I, Geralt, a modest monster hunter

I'm about halfway through the game and this jpg just confirmed I'm doing all of the rest of the griffin set now. How much work is it to upgrade armor sets? It feels like I dove into that cave to get the griffin armor recipes like two weeks ago and I'm just now finding the mats for the second piece, every craftsman I go to is the wrong kind or too low skill, next thing you know it you're always level 18 putting on your 'new' level 12 armor.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's not the griffin set, FYI. I'm not sure what it is actually, but it looks cool.

If you want to start planning ahead for the most cool looking armor you can get, this page shows you most of the good endgame stuff and tells you how to get/craft it. I guess it's kind of spoilery if tracking down treasure maps and hunting down rare mats is the kind of thing you enjoy doing for yourself, but if you're like me and find that kind of thing to be tedious busywork, then clicking it will save you some time.

Thanks for three replies but especially this link, also I wasted my poo poo life on griffin armor which actually does not look that cool, back to the drawing board

Also is it confirmed which armors will get upgrades in Blood and Wine and which can be dyed? I want to comment on how retarded viper set glasses look but I'm worried it's a spoiler and Geralt loses his vision in a quest I haven't done yet

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Is the real life version of gwent a massive waste of time where 2 out of 3 players you're up against have two cards that each do 10 damage and cannot be fogged, while you have literally nothing, or get a couple rares for decks you don't have enough cards to play?

Just bought HoS and signed up for the gwent code thing, anyone know how likely I am to get a code and what it costs? Definitely looking at the elf/monster deck, Nilfgaard having passives like 'always wins on a tie' 'your king doesn't work' and 'i can use your cards' is a little too retarded for me to laugh at the joke.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-ZsLYGJfQ

New trailer, I helped with this one. (but did not pick the music so leave me alone ok)

I was hiking at night and saw someone figured out a much cheaper marketing idea than even editing YouTube videos

edit

Also what armor is that from 5-8 seconds in?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ah gently caress wrong video, I meant the blue steel looking armor from the other vid, nice trailer though!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Harrow posted:

I'm slowly realizing what a huge undertaking it's going to be to rebuild my save to where it was before I reinstalled Windows and stupidly didn't back up my saves. I'm in the middle of Family Matters right now and I'm already burning out. But I also don't want to just make an HoS-only and a Blood and Wine-only Geralt--I'd rather do the DLCs on a "real" playthrough.

:ohdear: I'm screwed probably

It probably isn't helping that I've been playing third-person fantasy action-RPGs non-stop for like two months now. They've been Souls games, but still.

I thought about just downloading someone else's save but the closest I can find to one that resembles choices I'd want to make has already done Hearts of Stone. :smith:

Condolences and stuff, what's the easiest way to back up saves? Hope it's not like Shadow of Mordor where it'd be quicker to beat the game again.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Swedish Horror posted:

The best characters are clearly all the trolls.

P much just because what humor the game does have is usually really campy, there's something charming about troll humor just being literally retarded.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd be curious to read the books now. Is this a very long series? Is there any particularly good single entry to pick up?

Agreeing with forums poster 'man whore', just read them in order and see if you like them. The Last Wish is a short collection of short stories, some will be more enjoyable than others based on what you think of Geralt as being. The second and final short stories collection is called Sword Of Destiny, I'm reading it now and I think it starts off more interesting to someone who is coming from the games.

There are then I believe 5 novels that are actual a linear story, with I think 4 now as of recently out in English by an American publisher for like 8 dollars a book on Amazon.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

GuyUpNorth posted:

Even on my "sticks and stones" old 660 indeed.

The game runs on medium on my 5770, CD Projekt Red need to put every other game dev out of business if they don't agree to start putting effort into code.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Holy poo poo this game runs even better on my ancient PC after the patch, no bugs or crashes so I'm guessing it's your dumb mods you have installed, and the new settings options probably remove the need for a few of those mods.

Is inventory weight uncapped now? Or am I just not looking in the right spot? Loving the new interface and menu changes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

The level scaling is great. No more one hit kill Witcher contracts.

Does the loot/exp/reward in general scale on anything or does it just scale the monsters health/damage to your level?

Also I agree if another patch follows this please mutagens stack or add more mutagen crafting, have like 50 I don't know what to do with. Rare mutagens that do cosmetic things would be cool as gently caress.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
As of 1.21 the game is nearly perfect, the magnum opus of the species, and the only thing I can complain about is that I can't skip past the same repeated anime cut scene before I load into my save. Also you should add more vendors early in the game with a variety of gwent cards, not even rare ones, it's just silly to be 90 hours in before you have enough cards in a second deck to try it out for the first time.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This scene was supposed to be relatively emotional but I couldn't help but watch the grubby pot-on-head kid spaz out in the background. Witcher 2 is definitely stealing the show in the distracting things kids do in the background of cutscenes.

(the guy in the background is another gwent player's literal he-whore and he looks up from the background)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcHrZft355E&t=42s

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 1, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

necrobobsledder posted:

Meanwhile in Witcher 3, Geralt can't cast anything to save him from falling 10 feet to his death.

It's hard to pick a worst thing in the best video game of our lives, but I have died twice in the same hour falling no more than 10 feet as a guy who can roll around 30 times per minute while easily killing a living stone golem the size of a truck.

Also last poster and the other six: Why don't you guys like griffin + spells? Griffin/Igni is my favorite way to play the game so far, I loved Witcher 2 but rolling around spamming left click isn't really that fun. Aiming fire towards as many people as I can before they reach me, then spamming let click while rolling around is truly the best way to play a video game. Bear set is super popular in this thread and yet you just press shift click and kill a thing with an animation of a big sword? Am I missing something?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Levantine posted:

Does the armor enchant that makes Igni killed dudes explode also work with the Dancing Star bombs? Or is it strictly fire damage from Igni?

Wait this exists? In the base game?

Also is there a good site to see every armor ever with every dye ever? This changes all of my monster hunting play style decisions

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

hemophilia posted:

Phillipa is hated because she basically can't change her clothes without it being part of some convoluted and hosed up scheme

edit: she is like a meaner, more autistic Yennifer. Where yen can soften up for people she cares about, phillipa is an autistic golem of self serving schemes.

I think the writers do a great job at at making a lot of THERE'S NO GOOD OR BAD...JUST LIKE THAT LINE IN 'THE LAST WISH'...EVERYTHING IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF poo poo... characters

but i actually wish they either make phillipa cool and good, or gave the ability to turn into an owl to someone i liked more. in witcher 2 that battle and even it's cutscenes were a highlight, as soon as i knew i lived in a world where owl's that protect you from evil exist i felt better about my poo poo real life

also

i am gonna go ahead and admit i never even slightly remembered or thought of her when zoltan introduced me to a blind bandaged owl he won in a card game and calls a parrot i was just like o hey birdie

@cd projekt red and comte - please add a final ability to the magic line traits to blood and wine- turn into an owl just to fly and explore the map.i am entirely serious and you do not have an option not to dothis

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

IkeTurner posted:

I have a GIANT surplus of random items from compulsively picking up everything I see. This seems to be slowing down the UI a bit in the latest patch (PS4) and also is probably burning a hole in my pocket since I'm short on cash and should probably sell it off. What's the best way to sell off a large amount of random things? It seems like each merchant only has at most about a thousand gold, so I sell a half dozen things and he's dried up, not even making a dent in my stockpile. Any tips for de-hoarding?

The master craftsmen including the dumpling blacksmith usually have like 3k on them, but I have no idea if this is a blood and wine question or Witcher 1 or whatever, hope it helped

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ok i beat witcher 3 and im fiending for more, bought hearts of stone when it was an entire dollar off on sale:

anything I should know? not talking about difficulty really, what's fun? what's bugged? what will i regret or prefer to do to have the most fun and prepare to enter blood and wine with a good 'i'm here to slay monsters for coin' attitude?

is the idea to just do hearts quests all in a row or should i mix em in with going around collecting the armor sets i didn't use in the main story?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

hemophilia posted:

Play again on death march, level scaling, take your time and take in the sights. Its like a different game than my "rush to the end for blood and wine" play

am i reading this wrong or is your advice on the best way to dive into my new 8 dollar video game to replay the 105 hour video game i just now beat and am done with for a year

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Azazell0 posted:

:smith:

Toussaint is a bit better on the "peasant misery simulator" front than Velen was (jeez that was depressing) but still, right in the feels.

e: I've actually RP'ing a bit when haggling for money, I work cheaper for the peasants and always squeeze the maximum I can from the rich bastards.

someone post the book about GOG vs DRM to distract me from the way too depressing and real class war and divert my mind back to the video game industry war

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I know there are websites and youtubes with images of all the armor sets, but is there anyway I could get a close up high res or even a 3d model of the pauldrons and knee guards used in the master griffin set?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Google isn't helping me, I know everyone suggests the funnier option at the wedding in Hearts of Stone but do you lose out on those cards for good if you don't beat the halflings?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

We began in a fairytale and we came to life. But is this life reality? No, it is a videogame. Zoom back camera.

Somewhere out there is a team portrait of the studio, but I don't know exactly where.

vibeo games is art, just as i tell everyone i meet on campus and women from bars

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Has anyone already spoken about how CDPR filed a copyright under category of software for Gwent? Is Gwentstone coming to PC and Android?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Firebert posted:

Stop sperging out when people just want to see people who look like them represented in game

After we change the work of a Polish guy to represent the races commonly found in America in his Polish inspired nonexistent fantasy world, haven't we then still left out all women over 120 pounds? Why can't I play as I am in real life (a curvy goonette) and not as the character the author or dev team spent 20 years on: a white male mutant?

Answer: Because that is not the thing the artists created, and we bought. Maybe somewhere another artist made that thing and you can buy it.