Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Welcome to yet another Lets Play of this game! There've been what, three or four of either this or the alternate version, Dawn? I think I'm a bad sad enough dude to rescue the digital world once and for all!

For those who don't know what this is all about, Digimon are Digital Monsters that live in the Digiworld and can Digivolve into stronger forms by beating eachother to death. Usually with lasers. In short, Pokemon but with a lot more computer related puns and explosions out the rear end.

Dusk, and its sister-version Dawn, are JRPG styled games in the long line of Digimon World games and are the second to be on the Nintendo DS. While they don't bring much new to the series they do bring a lot of variety to the table and the sheer number of digimon you can choose from in these games is fairly impressive, even some of the more obscure digimon make appearances and outside of a few bosses pretty much everything can become a usable partner. Differences between Dusk and Dawn mostly come down to enemy variety, in Dusk its easier to get Machine and Virus type digimon earlier while in Dawn you get Vaccine and Dragon types easier. Dusk also has a purple moon theme while Dusk has a red sun theme, it's fairly simple and aside from the very limited number of exclusive monsters there's no real issue. I just chose Dusk because I like robots and monsters more than angels and dragons.

About the LP:

I have beaten this game before and I swear I'll actually finish this LP. It's not an especially hard game, it's just got a long grind which I don't mind. So to that end, feel free to request your favorite digimon and whatever ones seem most popular I'll try to get, a pretty ridiculous number of them are in this game and due to how the evolution system works even the basic forms can stomp the final boss into oblivion after a while.

This game does have a ton of dialogue though, the dialogue boxes are painfully small and poorly spaced so unless people really, really want me to transcribe it all I'll probably leave out or summarize some of the less important stuff.

There will be votes as early as the first update, so please bold your vote so I can tell it apart from anything else that gets posted!

Spoilers?
Just don't spoil what little plot this game has, otherwise feel free to talk about the show or other games as long as you don't get weird about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Reserving this for something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well a complete Digimon game LP is rare.
Here's to never burning out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Whoa, never thought I'd see this being LP'd. Here's to hoping you finish. I loved this game a lot when I got it (I got Dawn though, my friend got Dusk). It's a pretty simple concept, really. Very similar to Pokemon, but with enough twists to feel like something fresh. Aka the ideal portable RPG featuring monsters. Speaking of, what kind of crazy person prefers machines to angels and dragons?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update One: Gokus and Garbage

The start screen greets us with Lunamon who will be our default "Partner" Digimon. Personally I'm not a fan, but whatever.

Starting a new game prompts us to pick a gender, for the purposes of this update I went with Boy. As far as I'm aware the only difference between the two story-wise are what NPC is your rival.

Then we get to name our character, as you can see you get five rather limiting character slots. Feel free to go wild with it when you vote.

:goku:

Next we get to pick our starting digimon. There are four "packs" that basically just serve to give you early access to certain trees. The balance pack above has MachGaogamon and Clockmon They all have Lunamon.

SkullGreymon is a pretty cool dude and ShadowWereGarurumon is a black recolor of a furry. This pack does have some advantages though because SkullGreymon evolves into some cool stuff and getting him early allows you to bypass an annoying requirement.

This is probably my favorite pack though. I like bugs. and the Kurisarimon nets you a cool dude early on too. But this is just personal bias, not everyone likes laser bugs. Some people are lame.

Finally we have a panda and a flower. I guess they have their uses but to be honest I've always found this to be the least interesting pack of them all.

Anyway! I went with the defense pack for now. You get to rename your digimon, all of them, with eight characters. I felt this name was appropriate but feel free to vote on names and whatnot.

Now the game is finally starting! With plot! This is Julia, she's our boss and her partner is A Recolor.
"Night Crew cannot allow Light Fang to get the upper hand!"

Right so in Dusk we're part of Night Crew and Light Fang is the Dawn version's gang. We hate each other for reasons. Julia goes on to explain that we're here to train so we can beat those Light Fang scum in the upcoming tournament.

Oh, hey Krillin! Anyway this dork is Newton and he's our "friend" and by that I mean he's a dumb jerk.

Bulma Dorothy here is our other friend and she's far more reasonable.

See what I mean? What a dick. Newton leaves and we follow, for some reason we don't want him to get eaten by horrible bug monsters.

So do these guys. I don't even know who they are, but who names their kid Ponch?

So now all the kids are just wandering these potentially dangerous ruins and by that I mean the game auto-pilots us two screens in.

We finally come to a stop, and Newton see's that guy over to the side.

Camera pans over and Newton identifies him as a Gold Tamer I don't know what that means but it sounds fancy. Since we can't bypass the might of the Gold Tamer we just have a battle tutorial instead.

I guess its time for the spirit bomb. See you in three episodes!

Naw! He just throws a bug at us. This screen shows up every time a battle starts. The little "SCAN ???" in the corner is your Scan Percentage. It goes up every time you fight a wild digimon and when you hit 100% you can basically capture it and your % reverts back to 0. If you wait until it hits 999% you get bonus stats. Bosses and scripted encounters don't add Scan. The higher the class of digimon the less Scan you get for fighting it, too. So if you want to generate a Mega level digimon, you're going to have to fight 100 of them.

This is what the battle screen looks like, and now you can see what I named our temp team! on the top screen you get the turn order, your team's stats and a very tiny view of the battle field layout. The layout is actually kind of important in this game and I'll explain why in a bit. On the bottom screen you have your commands, which are rather self explanatory. Fight lets you beat dudes up, move lets you swap spots with your team mates, item lets you use an item, defend has you reduce incoming damage and flee is running away. Fight is pretty much the only useful one for most battles, murder everything before it murders you and you don't need to defend.

So we click Fight with That Guy. When it comes to attacks Effect is its power, MP is how much MP it costs and that little orange square is where on the battle field it hits. Attacks can hit anywhere from one to five squares at a time, or anything in between. If there's only one enemy on the map, you don't want to use an attack that hits two or more squares since wide-range attacks usually cost more MP and that'd be a waste. This is the case with That Guy so I pick Double Blaster.

:aaaaa: True to its name, Double Blaster and several other attacks lets you hit targets of your choosing multiple times. In this case we just gently caress that bug up real good.

Each hit blows him up for a pretty good amount of damage. So we have a giant beetle that can explode dudes on a whim, what next?

:doh: Okay maybe I am a little unfair to GARBAGE! here. It's only a rookie-class digimon and is 15 levels behind the other two. And one of its attacks is throwing drugs at the opponent. But still, that did nothing! Lets move on.

Last but not least is This One!

Cursed Slash skulls dudes to death. It's pretty metal. It also kills the robo-bug!

This is the rewards screen. The fact that we got Mac EXP is relevant and I'll explain it later, when it matters. For now just take comfort in knowing we didn't mug our bestie after murdering his only digimon. Bits are money and we will regret not stealing all of Newton's cash soon enough.

Strongest in the universe!

We poo poo on Newton for sucking for a while then the screen shakes. You can shake your head back and forth to simulate it for a while, if you really want.

Don't hurt yourself though. Because these assholes teleport in, oh no.

I hate you Newton.

Digimon, unlike Pokemon, can actually talk! This guy wants to kill us for some reason. But GOKU? is part of "us" and he can't let that happen.

Spoilers: He doesn't survive.

He was also poor as hell.

:aaa: The whole leg? You didn't even fight, man.

I don't have a choice. Literally.

:iceburn:

Anyway that seems like a mediocre stopping point for now! Stay tuned for more exciting boss reporting action!

Also, don't forget to vote on a gender, name and digimon/digimon names! I guess the voting will end in either twelve hours or whenever the most popular choices gets five votes!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Boy, Lupin, Attack Pack.

Never was much for renaming Digimon or Pokemon, but since it's an LP tradition

SkullGreymon - Bones because it's obvious.
Lunamon - Sabata because Boktai doesn't get enough love.
BlackWereGururumon - Recolor because that's all he is and shouldn't be rewarded with a good nickname.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Girl, Tella, Attack Pack
No opinion for diginames, it feels weird naming them as opposed to pokemon, specially since one digimon can have multiple forms each one completely unrelated to the prior.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Girl, Sora, Attack pack

As for nicknames
Death X for Skullgreymon,
Lulu for Lunamon
and nothing for BlackWeregarurumon, because he is a recolor.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Boy, Django, Attack Pack

Hit random on Wikipedia and name the Digimon after the articles you find.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Name every digimon after a vaguely related looking Pokemon.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Boy, Goggles, Attack and:

Pyroi posted:

Hit random on Wikipedia and name the Digimon after the articles you find.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

megamariox posted:

Girl, Sora, Attack pack

As for nicknames
Lulu for Lunamon

I'll go for this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If I can vote this way, I'm doing so for the following.

megamariox posted:

Girl, Sora, Attack pack

SonicRulez posted:

SkullGreymon - Bones because it's obvious.
Lunamon - Sabata because Boktai doesn't get enough love.
BlackWereGururumon - Recolor because that's all he is and shouldn't be rewarded with a good nickname.

Otherwise, just count me as a vote for megamariox.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

megamariox posted:

Girl, Sora, Attack pack

As for nicknames
Lulu for Lunamon

One more for this.

This is one of two Digimon games that didn't give me a migraine while trying to wrap my head around its mechanics. Okay, I didn't particularly try very hard with the PSX games, and haven't played all of the games in the series, but still. The other one that I found tolerable was Data Squad (I'm lumping DS/Dawn/Dusk in as one because they all play almost exactly the same).

I wish you luck in completing this game, because completing it means doing the postgame. :stonklol:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

flarp22 posted:

One more for this.

This is one of two Digimon games that didn't give me a migraine while trying to wrap my head around its mechanics. Okay, I didn't particularly try very hard with the PSX games, and haven't played all of the games in the series, but still. The other one that I found tolerable was Data Squad (I'm lumping DS/Dawn/Dusk in as one because they all play almost exactly the same).

I wish you luck in completing this game, because completing it means doing the postgame. :stonklol:

Honestly I don't remember this game having much of a "post game" compared to most of the others really, the only definite thing that comes to mind requires you to be able to do multi-player for completion. So unless I can figure a way around that then I'm kind of boned on that one, but I will be doing all the quests and stuff I can! But since you brought up Data Squad and the other games I'd like to mention that Dusk and Dawn did get a sort of sequel on the DS! It's called Lost Evolution and it never got released stateside. I played it as-is and it's a lot of fun, evolution is mostly unlocked through a touch-screen mini-game so you don't have to do as much trading BS. I really wish there was a translation patch for it.

But more LP related stuff, I'll probably be talking more about the eggs and stuff that might cause issues soon, but if anyone does know a way to get around it I'm all ears because being able to bypass those requirements would be great considering I can't trade or create eggs at all.

Also it looks like Girl/Sora/Attack is in the lead for now! Glad people are taking an interest in this!

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I should really play this game, or the Dawn variant, again.
Never beat either one.

Anyways...

megamariox posted:

Girl, Sora, Attack pack

As for nicknames
Lulu for Lunamon

Voting for this.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Girl, Mei, Attack Pack

I've actually completed this game myself. Just don't show it any mercy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doesn't Megakabuterimon have another annoying requirement that makes him never go past ultimate til postgame? And I'm pretty sure this version's crawling with Kurisarimon and his precursors since they're pretty popular evil filler. Definitely voting Attack Pack

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't Megakabuterimon have another annoying requirement that makes him never go past ultimate til postgame? And I'm pretty sure this version's crawling with Kurisarimon and his precursors since they're pretty popular evil filler. Definitely voting Attack Pack

It just takes a ton of grinding, the blue one isn't even the right one! The blue one is a dead end for the line if I remember right. If you want to take it to the next level you need another ultimate level bug digimon to fuse with the Mega Kabuterimon which just takes an rear end load of grinding.

It goes without saying attack pack is definitely looking like it's winning.

Latewave
Dec 13, 2013
Boy, Attack Pack, Lupin

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I guess Girl/Sora/Attack Pack won. I'll go with that, now to deal with all this dialogue!

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Nice to see someone else try and do a complete run of this game I've always been fond of it despite its flaws but I can see how it could be a bit difficult to do an lp of.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, another Digimon LP! I hope this one doesn't die, Digimon World 3 and the DS games are grindy as hell and I can see why people playing them would get bored of them. I still prefer them to Digimon World 2's "fuse everything all the time" though, at least you're only grinding the monsters you're using instead of Jogress fodder. Anyways, best of lucks, Nuebot! I'm definitely following this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

dis astranagant posted:

Megakabuterimon can't evolve past Ultimate period, you need another method to get to the expected Mega for him.

Having played both games, I personally prefer Dawn, even if just because the fodder NPCs are less punchable.

Anyway, Boy, Ken, Balance Pack.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update 2: Mostly Info Dumps and Dialogue

I hope you guys like dialogue!

Last time, on Digimon World D! GOKU? was a girl all along! Now that we have control over our character, however brief it is, we can check out the menu!

As y'all can see we have three digimon we clearly have had the entire time and a hundred digi-bux. The menu also kindly tells us we're in "Thriller Ruins" and as obvious as I feel the icons should be, lets check them out a bit.

The "Digimon" menu lets us examine our party and rearrange it. I took the liberty of setting up our team in a fashion that wouldn't get us wrecked by multi-area techs.

I goofed and forgot to grab a screenshot of the next menu, but lets just pretend I clicked on Death X there, okay? Once you click on a digimon you can check out their stats, digivolution route and other various details. Lets check out Death's digivolution options now!

Disheartening! What those grey words mean is that to evolve the prior form into Skull Greymon he has to be level 42 with at least 7000 dark experience. The tricky part is that last bit "gotSkullGreymon" when a digimon has that requirement to evolve them, it means you have to have owned one before. So had we not picked the attack pack we'd have to wait until we fought these guys in the wild and battled them until we had 100% scan data! So lets see how much exp he has, currently?

Bummer.
So while separate experience point types are often used as evolution requirements, all exp is cumulative for leveling.

It's also worth noting when you view the digivolution tree you can see the next form you can become, and any prior form even if its part of an unrelated branch. So you could preview dudes in advance if you cared that much about it.

Next up is the Traits menu, they're usually just stat bonuses and damage increases or decreases. Generally the names are pretty self explanatory. Honestly if you guys want to see all this stuff for our digimon I can make side-updates every so often including it all.

Techniques covers your attacks, letting you sort them as you see fit. It's worth noting that the Special Technique is your digimon's signature move. It changes with every evolution and is based entirely on the form you're in, and its the one move you can't save and shift around to any other form.

Since we have no items, quests or tamer info worth noting yet, lets get back to the story!

Oh. :( Okay, so Raigo is a Gold Tamer and doesn't need our help. I guess we should just go report to Julia like we were told to. We leave the way we came, because this is a pretty scripted and railroaded sequence of tutorial events.

Oh hey, it's Ponch! And...wait, Gutts? I guess he left his sword at home.

:smuggo: Already on it!

It's our first multi-enemy battle I guess. But they're still just Vilemon, and Sora has a giant rocket launching skeletal dragon at her command.

Purple explosions and DAR exp everywhere! Given the prevalence of Dark and Machine type digimon in Dusk, we'll mostly be getting that. Anything that needs Holy exp to evolve is going to be a pain.

Don't thank me, thank the rocket dragon. So I'm not sure if people really want to see me transcribe three text boxes saying "thanks" in various ways or not but suffice to say, everyone strokes our ego a bit and we leave.

"if you hadn't come!"
Except this guy. He's sassy!

Sweet merciful control! For all of like, three steps. A weird thing this game does is flipflop between auto-piloting you places, teleporting you there and making you walk like five steps to your destination. Sometimes I wind up sitting around for a few seconds because I don't realize I actually have my control back.

Oh, hey Julia! You need help with- No? Neat.

"you look bored?"
I'll be honest I just get a kick out of seeing ChaosGallantmon spelled out like that every time.

"controlled by something..."

Then the camera pans over to this shifty fellow. You're a long way from Subrosia, pal.

These two run up just as the robed dude teleports out. Screen fades and we all join back together or something to discuss the horrible Vilemon threat.

He spends a few text boxes repeating that they were being controlled by someone.

Night Crow!

This goes on for a while, they bring up the tournament one last time before this scene ends. Pretty much just to remind you that hey, that's a thing.

Oh by the way, we live in Castlevania apparently.

So sudden scene change! How about that. In summary: We won a bunch of tournament matches off-screen and now its the finals. We're the only ones important enough to matter and this is the only important fight.

:geno:

So Newton spazes at us for being late. But he's also a chump so who cares what he thinks?

Sora sure don't. This weird head rub thing is like, one of three reactions your character does to pretty much anything that happens.

"over yet. Let's go to the waiting room!"
So that Gutts chump is still fighting some other guy. Dude uses a mushroom to fight apparently.

With that we're left to wander the lobby and enjoy having control once more! There isn't much to do besides talk to the NPCs. Most of them just say "Good Luck" or tell you how cool your boss is. It'll be a while before we have any NPC chatter that isn't really generic stuff.

So lets just go to that waiting room. Everyone we know is waiting for us!

They didn't appear to have high standards. :( They spend a while repeating the same stuff we've heard before. That this is in fact a tournament, that we won some fights off screen and that this will be the final battle to determine who wins. Especially when its announced that Gutts loses his round like a chump.

Dude, you use a Mushroomon. So he apologizes and everyone forgives him. Except for me, I mean its not an in-game option or anything but I'm just spiteful like that.

With some parting words the CAGster and Julia leave. I guess this means we go fight, right?

We even get control back, time to go kick some rear end!

:geno: I guess we have to talk to everyone.

Because you suck, Newton. That's why.

:(

"I was fighting with a bad shoulder!" Turns out progress isn't found by talking to NPCs, it's far sillier than that.

We have to leave the waiting room.

Where we get introduced to the boss of those filthy Light Fang losers!

"an impressive Tamer"
Is it just me or does he look like a depressed Domon?

"to your growth..."
Glare's partner is some kind of angel she sure ain't no CAG.

Light Fang
Then we get to meet our rival. This is the guy we're fighting in the next match too. He's also the one who stomped Gutts' sorry mushroom. He's got goggles, take a guess what kind of digimon he uses too.

After everyone walks away we're finally free to go...back to the waiting room.
But hey, at least we can finally do this fighting thing! GAMEPLAY!

We walk out to this fancy looking arena where everyone shouts encouragement at us. Or maybe they're threats, its kind of hard to tell really.

Like Donkey Kong!

And no one was surprised he uses a greymon! This is also our first Three on Three match, and it can be surprisingly hard if you get unlucky. The main threat is the RizeGreymon. Angemon and Coronamon are pretty much non-entities. I didn't get too many screenshots of the fight because it only lasted two rounds. Spoilers: everyone died of terminal missileitis.

Did get some HOL and DRA exp though. It won't be very useful right now, but at least you get to see what it looks like.

:agesilaus:

We do this goofy looking celebratory jump while everyone congratulates us and tells us how awesome we are for beating that Light Fang dork.

Even Koh recognizes our supriority!

"fight."
Yes! Sing my praises from the mountain tops! Victory feels good, man.

"tournament tomorrow"
And I thought Darkmoon was bad. Well, no. Darkmoon is still the dumber city name. Anyway they leave. But then!

DUN DUN DUNNNN He just sort of casually floats out of the building after Glare.

I'm not kidding. Everyone just seems confused by this.

Meanwhile!

Julia was faster this time. Or maybe cloak guy forgot how to teleport.

Nope! Never mind. Dang, if only we had some kind of super powered monsters that could have done something to stop that guy before he teleported away...

"guy before...?"

I got nothin'

"home soon."
She mentions there has been "strange activity" on the server but other than that it's all a mystery. How strange.

Now we're here! This is our base's head quarters. See how its all purple? Those are the colors of the Night Crow!

So basically those other two are senior Night Crow who are taking part in higher ranked tournaments.

They don't seem happy that Julia wants to talk to us in private about secret things.

"You know that strange guy? He's showing up everywhere! That's some fishy stuff, yo!"

Oh and Glare might not be on the up and up.

She finishes by telling us we got a gift for being so rad. We have to go home to get it, and I love free stuff so lets find our home! Our...digital, internet home...

So there's definitely a naming theme going on here. For now I'm going to be skipping most, if not all of the NPC dialogue. Aside from the fact that this update has gone on long enough already, most of it is just "This is Place" "Go this way for Other Place" sort of stuff.

Except this guy, because I love Ponchomon.

So before we can go home and get our free loot, our friends show up!

Our friends are jealous that they suck and we're the main character. How does it feel, Newton. How does it feel to know you will never win.

Dorothy is still Sora's bestie.

So basically the conversation just continues in the same way for a while until they bugger off. Nothing of real value is said, and I'm eager to see what I got!

A robot guards our home!

So we live in the middle of the digital ocean. I can dig it.

Wh...what?

WHAT

:frogout:

So our gift was a "Farm Island" or a card for one at least. Apparently this thing was already here. Why.

Is it like, our dad or something. Or our mom? Did it raise us? Is it the one that taught us this weird jumping dance thing?

Eventually Sora gets tired of this horrid little monkey and goes to bed.

While Sora sleeps, no one else cares. Is there even time in the digital world?

The more I play this game the less sense it makes, really. Like I guess we live in the digital world now. But how. Do we eat the digimon? Do they raise us?

This is SunlightCITY by the way.

This NPC is a filthy liar.

!!!!

It's an alarm you rear end in a top hat.

I swear this is a different screenshot!

Well. This happened.

List of things suspicious in the digital world: red robes, floating purple energy skulls.

This happens too. Sucks to be them. The skull just teleports away too. Which really makes me wonder why it bothered with the whole teleporter into darkmoon to begin with.

Why was it watching Sora sleep?

Not the CITY!

HAH!

Ha...That's a good one. He then goes on about how all the shops are closed, because everyone's eggs. What a joker, that Phascomon. Lets just get my digimon ready and...

Oh no.

Finally!
The beginning of this game is loaded out the rear end with dialogue, but I think next time the game actually starts and we can start grinding. Won't that be interesting! I dunno if there's anything in particular anyone wants to see, but I'll be making sure to note any wild encounters so people can mention anything they want at least. So until next time: No votes to wait on so talk about whatever while you wait for me to stop being a lazy rear end.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This is going to make me dust off my copy of Dawn. Koh's team is the one I always pick, because a man can't turn down an Agumon. Even if it's the weird one. I always forget that BlackAgumon isn't the one who digivolves into BlackWarGreymon and BlackGabumon isn't the one who digivolves to BlackMetalGreymon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are you planning on LPing Dawn as well? Otherwise we could just talk about the differences between the two versions as we get to them.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Two quick things! The gender of your rival does not change, its actually affected by what version you play. So its always the male Koh for Dusk, or the female Sayo for Dawn. The dialogue, however, was not changed at all. So this makes things somethings kind of funny later on between you and your rival, which is oddly fitting given this is a digimon game and the franchise's history with rivals. Also, Phascomon is a Gotomon in Dawn. To be honest, Phascomon is one of the smallest but also strangest things in this game. Phascomon is a koala, completely unplayable and unobtainable, and your home is the only area any Phascomon appears in. And its the Rookie form of a Demon Lord, the same evil group that Lucemon and Beelzemon in. Cameos are all well and good, but why this thing!?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Megakabuterimon can't evolve past Ultimate period, you need another method to get to the expected Mega for him.

Having played both games, I personally prefer Dawn, even if just because the fodder NPCs are less punchable.

Anyway, Boy, Ken, Balance Pack.

Oh yeah. I think Lost Evolution's the one where you can evolve straight to HerculesKabuterimon but you need both Megakabuterimon and one of them has to be gotten from a postgame area in order to evolve to it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This game takes place in the same world as Digimon World DS, and by extension Digimon World 1 and Digimon Savers. I don't know much about Savers, but Digimon World DS showed that most humans are ignorant of the Digital world, and only the people who became directly involved with it know about it. Also, it shows that you can spend as much time in the digital world as you want and come back at almost the same time that you left. With that in mind, I guess Light Fang and Night Crow just got so caught up in the fun of raising monsters that they've stopped caring about the Real World for now.

By this time, we've already been through one of the big differences between the two versions. Night Crow is the first faction to see hints of the real plot, while Dawn plays through the entire Normal Tournament as it's tutorial. Either way, both teams are preoccupied with the tournament and vastly underestimate what the red cloaked thing is planning.

While Light Fang and Night Crow are more opposing sports teams than enemies, they are given to distrust each other, as we just saw.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Phascomon is clearly your home's defense digimon. You've got yourself a good old fashioned Australian Drop-Bear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ironically, Bones is now the recolor instead of nobody.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MightyPretenders posted:

This game takes place in the same world as Digimon World DS, and by extension Digimon World 1 and Digimon Savers. I don't know much about Savers, but Digimon World DS showed that most humans are ignorant of the Digital world, and only the people who became directly involved with it know about it. Also, it shows that you can spend as much time in the digital world as you want and come back at almost the same time that you left. With that in mind, I guess Light Fang and Night Crow just got so caught up in the fun of raising monsters that they've stopped caring about the Real World for now.

By this time, we've already been through one of the big differences between the two versions. Night Crow is the first faction to see hints of the real plot, while Dawn plays through the entire Normal Tournament as it's tutorial. Either way, both teams are preoccupied with the tournament and vastly underestimate what the red cloaked thing is planning.

While Light Fang and Night Crow are more opposing sports teams than enemies, they are given to distrust each other, as we just saw.

Well, Digimon World DS has versions of Saver/Data Squad characters appear, but ultimately its not actually tied to the show. Likely it was just done as a promotional thing without actually making DS a full on Savers game (since that was done for the PS2 instead).

Though, I've found the setting of the DS games to be among the most interesting of the franchise because of those connections, particularly the actual development of a notable 'community' of human-digimon partners. And not like, with the humans thinking its just a 'game' or whatever - they are entirely aware of the digital world as another dimension with living beings and all. I like the mystery of the digital world and all, but the games' concepts feels like it honestly deserves some real development.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are you planning on LPing Dawn as well? Otherwise we could just talk about the differences between the two versions as we get to them.

I am not, tackling one big JRPG at a time is good enough for me! So if you know any differences, please feel free to bring them up! I know a few but not all of them.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Two quick things! The gender of your rival does not change, its actually affected by what version you play. So its always the male Koh for Dusk, or the female Sayo for Dawn. The dialogue, however, was not changed at all. So this makes things somethings kind of funny later on between you and your rival, which is oddly fitting given this is a digimon game and the franchise's history with rivals. Also, Phascomon is a Gotomon in Dawn. To be honest, Phascomon is one of the smallest but also strangest things in this game. Phascomon is a koala, completely unplayable and unobtainable, and your home is the only area any Phascomon appears in. And its the Rookie form of a Demon Lord, the same evil group that Lucemon and Beelzemon in. Cameos are all well and good, but why this thing!?

Like this! I didn't know that, I thought your gender changed it. My bad! But yeah Phascomon is weird and kind of terrifying. It's one of the reasons I picked dusk over dawn in all honesty. As small and silly as that is, having Gatomon as your home digimon is strange because you can get your own and she's completely not unique while Phascomon is an oddity just waiting for you. Like a horrible fungus in your bathroom.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Update 3: From Chump to Champ

Hello again little LP, I am here to nourish you with yet another update! Last time something dreadful had happened and everyone became eggs.

Except us. Death X is rightfully scared though, and I don't blame him.

Checking the digimon menu I forgot to screenshot last time reveals another horrible surprise! Our EXP is gone, those fights meant nothing!

So lets delay whatever tragedy befell the digital world to talk about evolution. I went over it briefly before but I'll get more in depth here. There are eight types of EXP that all count towards levels, each individual type also gets counted individually as seen in the digimon menu. This is for evolution, as two of the most common requirements are level and type exp. As with "Monochro" up there, he only needs to reach a certain level and murder dragon type digimon until the evolution gods are happy.

To evolve into Donkey Kong we need to be a higher level and have a specific stat at a certain level as well. Now, look above and notice that Death's "Aptitude" is 20? Aptitude is, in short, your level cap. It goes up every time you digivolve or degenerate. If I remember correctly the amount you get goes up by rank as well so you gain 1 aptitude for evolving into a rookie, 2 for champion, 5 for ultimate and 10 for mega. What this means is that even if we went out and did the 1000 Dark EXP grind, we wouldn't be able to get that specific branch yet. Furthermore your stat increases and decreases when evolving and degenerating, from what I remember, are based on your current stats so it is generally best to get to your current max before changing form. This game encourages you to grind a lot, it's a mindless grind though since you never really have to and the motivation for it is pretty much entirely on you wanting specific digimon, and whether or not you want the stat caps.

In keeping with the "Menus I Didn't Show You" theme, here's our items. Digiar heal your digimon. The number indicates how much, the S means single. Like with attacks, items also have battlefield ranges. Personally I find that the risk of getting hit by a wide-range attack far outweighs the advantage of being able to heal with a wide-range heal item. On Valuables side is the Farm Island Card that Julia gave us. Farm Islands will be explained later.

This is the Quest menu. It's literally just telling us where to go for now. Later on we'll actually have side quests and stuff to do, but for now it's pretty much just various stages of "Go talk to Julia".

So because I'm skilled, I forgot to snap a shot of the main menu of the Tamer menu. But that grey device in the back with three buttons is our digivice, and each button corresponds to one of these menus. The first one brings this up which is Tamer Info. So far its a whole lot of nothing.

This is the egg menu. It mostly just shows eggs you've gotten. Eggs are obtained through multi-player which I can't do. They're used as a gateway to the version exclusive digimon on evolution trees as well. I haven't figured out a way to bypass that one yet but I'll have to figure something out if you readers want any of those guys.

Then there's the Digimon menu. A different one. This one shows the digimon we've obtained or scanned and where to find them. Each one also has a little pokedex-like blurb about it. I'm not sure if you people would be interested in that sort of thing, and if you'd want me to post it in the update or in seperate bonus updates or what. It's worth noting we have encountered 5/397 digimon thus far. That's a lot of digital mens.

There's also the save menu, I never showed it off because really the only options are saving or not saving. So with that all out of the way, lets go check up on Julia!

After we play on our sweet computers. I'm sure she's in no rush.

Alright lets get out of here. Stepping on to our home teleport gives us a choice of locations. Of one location.

Everything seems pretty normal here though.

:aaaaa: Guardromon, no! Honestly the egg dialogues crack me up and I'm not really sure why. I might just be a little soft-boiled in the head or something.

You...don't say? This doesn't happen every day? :geno:

Also, this is the shop. Since the system is still down we can't do anything in there yet. We can't even get our free farm!

Truth be told I'd be terrified if an egg told me it was wiggling. But this is about the mood in the CITY now. Eggs and trouble!

Except this rear end in a top hat.

We can get quests here later. But because reality got hacked, they can't do the quest thing.

Or maybe Pennywise here just forgot his password.

Well, time to suck it up and face the plot. Oh freedom we hardly knew you.

:ohdear:

So Skullomania can brainwash dudes or something I guess.

He seems to be enjoying himself at any rate.

At least until Sora shows up to ruin his day!

:derp: We're fighting the Atomic Skull!

It's cool. Our rookies can handle this!

I think that just made him mad.

I should probably be more worried about that damage. But did a skull just throw a cat at my goblin?

This is his other attack "Call Bat" It's a bit hard to see but there's little bats fluttering on Death X. Bats and cats. We are fighting the spirit of Halloween.

The recolor dies first.

It takes a while but we down our spooky pal! He's honestly not that difficult because your only real tactic at this point is to just mash your face against it and hope he doesn't focus fire on your weak guys like he did to that poor agumon. Sadly Death X did not get any EXP because he was dead. Level ups tend to be frequent and so common that you stop noticing them after a while, anyway. Seriously, look at that he just gained five levels in one fight.

Then he laughs and teleports away. Personally, I'm just glad it wasn't a scripted unwinnable boss fight. I hate those.

:agesilaus: No one was awake to see my agumon get batted to death. History will say it was a flawless victory.

The next few textboxes are basically just ChaosGallantmon telling her that no one cares, the city's done broke and we need to fix it. Except a lot more polite.

Hah now these suckers are stuck on monitor duty! They cry about it for a while, how do they even get off those anyway. It looks like they're just stuck floating in digi-space.

:( Oh we were a sucker too. At least we get to do cool stuff like talk to our boss!

"Everything is broken! Go check out the three areas not broken!" It takes like a million textboxes to say this, but trust me she does. Oh and SunshineCITY and DarkmoonCITY are split apart. Apparently they were connected before, who knew.

A tunnel? And its sunken? Either its full of poop, water monsters or a dragon with way too many teeth...

Then the clown brigade shows up.

:fuckoff:

"No, seriously, you guys suck. Just go away and stop pretending you can do things!"

:sigh: I'm going to have to save them from numemon or something, aren't I?

"Go to one of three places you can go" Can-do boss-lady!

But first lets talk to some NPCs. They hatched now and most of them resumed their old "This is Place" dialogue, but some haven't. Isn't this the cutest dang thing?

:3:

Gotta do the thing for the boss!

:sigh: I hate you so much Ponch.

So I was wrong when I called this area SunshineCITY in the last update or whatever. Turns out this is just a yellow part of DarkmoonCITY. Go figure.

:arghfist: :geno:

And now we can explore. The black pixels were the area title, I wasn't fast enough screenshotting it. It's called Dark Terminal or something. This place is kind of a wreck, too.

Digital World is broked!

Honestly I just like Ponchomon. I always have time for Ponchomon conversations!

So lets go step into that weird purple vortex. Seems like the safe thing to do while Ponch and the others are off being murdered by sewer digimon.

It takes us up here. The portal there takes us back down to the other one. Guess they can't all be winners!

Alright lets go do our job. And rescue those jerks I guess.

This is the map. It shows you what kind of digimon can be found in an area but given that some areas are huge and not every digimon shows up until later in the game, it's a loose guideline at best.

This is Thriller Ruins, the area we started the game in. Its full of dark digimon, and some machine types too. Mostly darks though.

Chip Forest! Bugs, beasts and plants. At least that's what I remember.

The sewer has machine and aquatic types. I would have suspected dark types but whatever. Time to get to work I guess.

And by that I mean lets loot some ruins and beat up random digimon who look at us funny!

Honestly the first three areas look the same aside from the fact that there's these scattered around now. This is a treasure chest in this game.

They have treasure.

We get into random encounters now, too. These guys are the same from the tutorial fight. They hit kind of hard but aren't exactly impressive. Notice we have 10 SCAN now? That's because it's only a rookie. In ten fights we'll have 100% and can make one of our own.

I also forgot the game didn't heal me after fighting the skullman.

Thankfully that 15 EXP is enough to level up Death X. Ironically this area has only Machine and Dark type enemies for now, and neither Death nor nothing can use that to evolve. nothing, in fact, can't evolve at all for now since all of his champion level forms require higher level Aptitude.

These guys show up too. Rarer than the bugs but they're far less impressive. See that 15%? That means they're In-Training. We are about to murder a baby.

This was on the second screen. I've stopped documenting levels, just for the record, I'll point out when something interesting happens though.

Why does a switch need a key?

Anyway, we reach the third screen. Nothing new is here.

There is a lack of something though! No Gold Tamer to get in our way! The digital world is our oyster now!

Going down leads here. I forgot to grab a good shot of it, but there's a warp gate up there. It takes us back to the city and it's a one-way gate. I use it to go heal up my guys since I was running low on MP and HP and then pop back in to the ruins to explore the other path.

This area is small and has a path branching off to the left I want to check out first, before we progress past this card gate!

Also we start running into Some creative creatures. For now they're actually a bit of a threat because they hit kind of hard and tend to show up in pairs.

Anyway the left path is a bit maze-like. Its got this weird green block that does nothing, but its the only notable feature.

A spirit what-now?

Oh right this is a JRPG! We can equip our Digimon with armor, weapons and accessories. Armor generally ups defense, weapons up attack and accessories do whatever. If you guys ever want me to do anything with the armor I get just say so. For the most part I'm just going to be slapping it on otherwise, and once I get some cash will probably just give everyone swords if left to my own devices.

MP restoratives are always good, but I hate using them because I'm always worried I'll need them during a more important dungeon. Never mind that this game actually makes various healing items cheap and easily accessed.

Then this happens.

Revenge of Vilemon! They're the toughest enemies in this area and they're a pain if any of your digimon aren't up to snuff.

They are good EXP this early on though, and can drop some equipment which sells nicely for now.

Time to go into the ruins! Without that nerd Newton!

These ruins look just like the rest of the ruins.

This is to the right, another one-way gate. Useful for healing if you don't mind the run back. Great for leaving if you're done whatever you're here for.

So our only option is left. This place looks kind of like a maze, but it's not. There isn't even a branching path. Everything else ends pretty much just off-screen here.

Neat. Poison's never really an issue though, all status effects in this game go away after a battle. At least as far as I'm aware.

And at the end of the path is another warp hole. Lets go for a ride!

Huh. It's worth noting that the pause menu still says "Thriller Ruins.

Treasure is the most important thing.

Encounters in here are identical to the ones in Thriller Ruins, too. So more candles, taser-bugs and Vilemon.

I like the look of this place though. It's very obviously digital. Like we're under the surface or something.

And there's our out! Lets see where this takes us.

:geno: What I forgot to screenshot is that there's another portal in this room.

Again, it still says we're in Thriller Ruins.

I guess areas are bigger than they look. This place is like some kind of mansion.

Also we run into new dudes here. They're kind of unremarkable, they hit hard but not as hard as the candlemon even.

A new type of consumable. Confuse sucks in any game its in.

Aaand we hit a barrier.

I took a lot less screenshots in this area because I'd run out of MP and my dudes were all low on HP. I did not want to use a consumable this early on. This is in the second portal in that mansion entry room by the way.

Running from vilemon was kind of terrifying.

Every so often I wouldn't escape and one of my digimon would die before I could try again.

I'm just glad this is one of those games that auto-revives characters with one HP after every fight.

This place is kind of big.

It looks pretty samey too, I took a few wrong turns and ran into more vilemon.

I didn't know if this portal would lead me anywhere good or not.

Same place, same enemies. There's a one-way teleport above to go back to town but now that I'm this deep I might as well finish exploring.

Somewhere along the way nothing picked up a new attack. I must have missed screenshotting it, but it lets him hit twice. It's pretty useful.

And this is where the trip ends. Just south is the other side of the barrier that we got stopped by earlier. I would have screenshot it, but I was in a rush to get the hell out and not die.

And this is where I hosed up. Wanting to see if I could stock up on health and MP restoratives I went to the item shop and got sucked into a cutscene. I hadn't saved recently or anything.

I always ask random beetles for shopping advice. "fruit and honey" is the general response. Anyway these two talk about how that guy wants to buy stuff for his farm. Get where this is going?

Phascomon does. He phones Sora up and tells her to get the farm already.

Yeah I had planned to vote for the farm name and stuff but it's a bit late for that one.

So I gave it a name I felt was fitting. All the dragon digimon will have a home now.

You would. :smaug: So we have a farm now. Can't do anything with it yet, really, but in time it'll be rad.

Shops are also open. I stocked up on health restoratives. Didn't buy any equips yet, there's free stuff in boxes. The third shop sells training goods, your digimon use them to get stats. There is a fourth shop and I didn't get a screenshot because it's for later. It lets us customize our farm so our digimon gain specific types of exp and such while in it, and we can purchase more farms when we have enough bits.

So this is our farm. Lets talk about DigiFarms. You put digimon you want to raise in it and they gain exp. You can put "goods" on your farm to increase their stats, their exp gains or change stuff about them. It's a fairly useful mechanic for raising mass numbers of digimon but I never really used it because I generally just grab three dudes I want and go for that. But I'll probably use the farms to raise evolution fodder and what not. For now, however, the farm is mostly useless because we are poor and have no goods and no board.

Now that the network is up we have full access to our PC functions again. The "Digivolve" button there is misleading, it doesn't actually let you digivolve. You can do that freely, it just lets you preview your digimon evolution tree. Which you can already do. What you can do with the PC that you couldn't do before is DNA digivolve. For most combinations this just means shoving one digimon into another and blending them together, the result just giving the first digimon stat increases. However, with specific pairs you can DNA digivolve them into new digimon. If you're familiar with the show then you know what this is all about. If you're not familiar with the show, lets just leave it at this: You can combine some dudes into better dudes.

What we're interested in now is the digiconvert option.

Here you can see all of the digimon we've encountered and how much scan percent we have. We have fought a lot of candlemon.

For this example I'm going to go with Kokuwamon because we don't have any other machine types yet.

It's not especially fancy looking. But there we have it, our very own Kokuwamon! Any digimon you can encounter in the wild can be obtained this way.

I gave him a lame name. It's worth noting that you don't have an option to not name them, and I hate how once the name screen pops up their names get mangled.

He's in the digibank for now. So lets swap to the farm PC and put him in our party!

There we go. "Reserve" party don't fight unless you swap someone with them. They do gain EXP though, at a reduced rate. It's good to keep some on hand incase you run into a situation like I did earlier where your good digimon run out of MP and HP and you don't want to die.

Also he has a pretty linear digivolution path. No previous form and he turns into an M&M

Speaking of Digivolution, lets make that update title honest.

It's pretty simple. If you meet the requirements you just click the button and say yes.

It's almost identical to the generation animation. But hey, we have a Champion now!

She's level 1 again but has better stats and will level up super fast and gain huge stat boosts compared to her rookie form.

So this seems like a good place to end it!
The next update will probably come sooner than later. With luck the other rookies will digivolve soon and feel free to request any digimon you see for generation! It's not hard to get most of them up to 100% Champions and higher can be a bit rough, but considering that I'm going to be grinding a decent amount anyway, it ain't no problem.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Malatora is perfect.
Just drat perfect.

but wow 400 digimon, im assuming about a quarter to a third need to be obtained through scan, the rest by digivolution/degeneration.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Some other bits about Dawn:

Dawn gets the Night Crow girl as a rival instead of the Light Fang guy. She's known as Sayo.

Their replacement for Phascomon is Gatomon.

As for their packs. Coronamon is in every pack, similar to Lunamon (both Digimon are also exclusive to their respective games).

Balanced Pack has RizeGreymon and Angewomon.

Attack Pack has Growlmon and MegaSeadramon.

Speed Pack has Airdramon and Sinduramon.

Japanese Pack (replacing Pretty Pack) has Reppamon and Karatenmon.

The Guilmon and Airdramon lines are also exclusive to Dawn, while Dusk gets exclusive access to Pandamon and Skullgreymon.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I'm getting an itch to play this game again. I would assume you're going to allow the game to have its integrity, because if not now, then soon you should have access to a few game-breakingly powerful things that makes the game your bitch for about 75% of the main story. Are you going to be using them or wait until postgame?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Hey would it be possible to un timg the pictures? they are small enough to not break any tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Some other bits about Dawn:

Dawn gets the Night Crow girl as a rival instead of the Light Fang guy. She's known as Sayo.

Their replacement for Phascomon is Gatomon.

As for their packs. Coronamon is in every pack, similar to Lunamon (both Digimon are also exclusive to their respective games).

Balanced Pack has RizeGreymon and Angewomon.

Attack Pack has Growlmon and MegaSeadramon.

Speed Pack has Airdramon and Sinduramon.

Japanese Pack (replacing Pretty Pack) has Reppamon and Karatenmon.

The Guilmon and Airdramon lines are also exclusive to Dawn, while Dusk gets exclusive access to Pandamon and Skullgreymon.

And if you don't pick the pack with Airdramon you aren't getting the bastard til the endgame because gently caress you, that's why. His precursor, Monodramon, is loving everywhere but without the Airdramon line you can't do anything with it because Justimon's requirements are ridiculous and you can't degenerate to Chibomon without making one first. Which doesn't do you any good because the other line is also blocked by Airdramon unless you DNA into Paildramon's wall of irritating requirements.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 18, 2015

• Locked thread