Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

what was the other reworking?

From Earth One? There were two more, actually. Killer Croc's skin condition is no longer a superpower, it's just a skin condition. And he's not even a supervillain, he just gets mistaken for one because he looks weird and lives in Gotham.

The other rework is Two-Face. Johns gave Harvey a sister (twins, naturally) who does the same crusading public servant thing he does. In her interactions with Bruce, she is basically Rachel Dawes. Harvey gets scarred up and dies, so she scars herself up and goes crazy.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CharlestheHammer posted:

what was the other reworking?
I guess I will put this in spoilers since it's an OGN some people might dilly-dally around reading:

Shortest possible version: they're building up to Two-Face and D.A. Harvey Dent gets blasted in the face with a Molotov cocktail and you think "oh hey, here's Two-Face!" but then he gets stabbed in the chest too. Then Harvey Dent dies. Then his sister runs up to his corpse and is so sad about her brother dying that she leans down and embraces his corpse and somehow smooshes her own face against the smoking remains of half of his face so SHE has half of a scarred face!

Then she is lying in a hospital recovering from face-scarring injuries, and as she lies there it's as if her brother lives on in her, yelling at her to destroy Batman/Bruce Wayne/those Filthy Arkhams.

So the new Two-Face is a sexy lady Mayor of Gotham City who is haunted by the ghost of her angry brother, so it's like she has two minds-- er, two persona-- ...two brains? Waitwaitwait TWO FACES!

It doesn't help that this origin folds into some of the other ridiculous Johnsian literalism that the book is rife with.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

redbackground posted:

You can't go wrong with Chuck Dixon's run. Just start at the beginning, and it goes to #70 (it's a biggun!). I have a handy reading order here as I still have plans to hardbind the whole shebang.

Speaking of reading order...

Is there a good site that documents reading order for story arcs of different comics? Some sort-of storyline database? I love reading some comics but I hate trying to read all of an arc just to have things just end because they resolved in books I don't have or know about. Specifically Batman stuff and maybe Iron Man?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Snyder and Batman 41 preview

Nope, nothing that really interest me here.

And according to Bleeding Cool on October editorial will evaluate the new look of the Batman books to decide which one continues

Interestingly, the books mentionated are:

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Gotham By Midnight
Black Canary
Robin: Son Of Batman
We Are Robin

I was already aware that RHA is not considered a Batman book but I'm surprised at Grayson not being included on that list.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Interview with Snyder and Batman 41 preview

Nope, nothing that really interest me here.

And according to Bleeding Cool on October editorial will evaluate the new look of the Batman books to decide which one continues

Interestingly, the books mentionated are:

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Gotham By Midnight
Black Canary
Robin: Son Of Batman
We Are Robin

I was already aware that RHA is not considered a Batman book but I'm surprised at Grayson not being included on that list.

Tbf, that's probably just sloppy writing on Bleeding Cool. Wouldn't be the first time, without a doubt won't be the last.

I like the preview of Bubblegum Crisis Batman fighting a ghost. This comic is going to be stupid and I love it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't Danny D or Jimmy L say all the June/July launches are getting at least 12 issues?
Richard Bleedingcool's dumb.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't Danny D or Jimmy L say all the June/July launches are getting at least 12 issues?
Richard Bleedingcool's dumb.

I doubt BC is serioously suggesting that those books will cut short on November or so, and the wording was specifically about the new look of the Batman books so it could meant a change on direction or picking the books that will end on the next June.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bye-bye GBM,, We Are Robin and maybe Academy.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I was at that panel and BC is definitely over-exaggerating Ray Fawkes's statement.

The thing he was talking about during Q&A was that the wave of energy coming out of the Batline right now is because editorial is taking a backseat and letting story be driven more by creators. This is largely because of Doyle's trust in his team. However if we want to see this continuing, and ideally going past just Batman books, we need to buy them and show support. Show DC that these books that they're releasing in June are not just going to sell for a couple months and then die down back to their current numbers.

There is no "evaluating period" that they talked about. Fawkes just said hypothetically that in a year's time nothing has improved then editorial might come knocking on their doors again and be stricter. So if we don't want that we gotta prove that these books will do well with the looser continuity strategy they are pushing in June.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'll just say I hope Academy's first trade does real well :ohdear:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Academy creators were at Special Edition NYCC too and had a copy of the trade for sneak peeks. It had some great stuff in the back - variant gallery, Becky Cloonan and Karl Kerschl's concept sketches, some script pages and just a couple pictures Karl made. One was of Maps as Robin that was utterly adorable :3: I'm happy DC is encouraging more additions to the back of trades for a special touch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pre-ordered if for my niece. If people have young/early teen nieces/nephews/children I suggest they do the same

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BuddyChrist posted:

Speaking of reading order...

Is there a good site that documents reading order for story arcs of different comics? Some sort-of storyline database? I love reading some comics but I hate trying to read all of an arc just to have things just end because they resolved in books I don't have or know about. Specifically Batman stuff and maybe Iron Man?

Doesn't SA's own Benito J. Cereno write some good reading guides or am I on crack? I googled around but could only find references to the Melville character (lol google-bombed).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well I'll be damned, Batman was actually good. Let's see if it holds, Court of Owls and Zero year also started pretty great before deflating by the middle point.

I tried Gotham Academy due Damian but nope, his appearance didn't made a lick of sense, his character was all over the place and he was shelved as quickly as he got in. The fact I don't cara at all for the actual cast didn't help, oh well.

Fantastic art tho.

Not really interested on Catwoman.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Damian in Gotham Academy was a lot of fun and totally in-character, so I don't know what that's about. Can't say I was expecting The Scottish Connection to get tied into the plot, of all things.

Was really on board with Batman until that final page reveal. Snyder won't let anybody stay dead for more than five seconds, huh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tenniseveryone posted:

Damian in Gotham Academy was a lot of fun and totally in-character, so I don't know what that's about. Can't say I was expecting The Scottish Connection to get tied into the plot, of all things.

Was really on board with Batman until that final page reveal. Snyder won't let anybody stay dead for more than five seconds, huh.

Not that shocked as Julie is there to keep an eye on it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

tenniseveryone posted:

Because Damian feels like a prop rtaher than a character. He doesn't do anything of note and is swiftly removed from the plot at the end, making his appearance kind of pointless beyond some fanservice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because Damian feels like a prop rtaher than a character. He doesn't do anything of note and is swiftly removed from the plot at the end, making his appearance kind of pointless beyond some fanservice.

Are you shocked? He has his own book and you can not keep him stuck at the school. He also might be back, and it was obvious them trying to get new readers to try it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you shocked? He has his own book and you can not keep him stuck at the school. He also might be back, and it was obvious them trying to get new readers to try it.

I was expecting for him to have an actual role and not being just a marketing ploy to get more people reading Gotham Academy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was expecting for him to have an actual role and not being just a marketing ploy to get more people reading Gotham Academy.

That's been a ploy since the very beginning of comics and something that you get used to. Its not as bad as it was in the 90s.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So like his cameo on Teen Titans.

Which I still thought was fun. That run of TT wasn't the worst.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Guest stars are a thing! He was a fun foil to Maps, and I liked her fan-girling over his grappling hook. I would really like to see him as a full-time character in Gotham Academy, but alas. It didn't rub me up the wrong way because I don't read any other books he's featured in regularly, admittedly.

tenniseveryone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 10, 2015

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Any opinions on Detective Comics 41?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tequila Bob posted:

Any opinions on Detective Comics 41?

I enjoyed it. It was good to see Renee back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh god Gotham Academy. Can Maps be in every Batman book from now on? :allears:

Also, apparently the flashback is based on a story from 1974.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Scaramouche posted:

Doesn't SA's own Benito J. Cereno write some good reading guides or am I on crack? I googled around but could only find references to the Melville character (lol google-bombed).

Yeah, I do recommended readings and best ofs and such, but I don't usually focus on reading order, so that may not line up exactly with what you want.

You can find the stuff I do on Comics Alliance here and the stuff I do on my own Tumblr here.

There are a number of sites that give chronological appearances of major characters, but I can't remember the names of them right now. There's the Chronology Project but a) I don't know how complete it is, b) it's only Marvel, and c) it puts the stories in chronological order by in-universe time rather than publication order, so for example, 1602 would appear earlier on the list than a Lee/Ditko joint.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, I do recommended readings and best ofs and such, but I don't usually focus on reading order, so that may not line up exactly with what you want.

You can find the stuff I do on Comics Alliance here and the stuff I do on my own Tumblr here.

There are a number of sites that give chronological appearances of major characters, but I can't remember the names of them right now. There's the Chronology Project but a) I don't know how complete it is, b) it's only Marvel, and c) it puts the stories in chronological order by in-universe time rather than publication order, so for example, 1602 would appear earlier on the list than a Lee/Ditko joint.

I guess what I'm really looking for is complete storylines (i.e.: No Man's Land, Knightfall, Long Halloween).

As an example I read Arkham War but at the end it doesn't feel like an ending, it's obviously building towards something at the end but the completion of that story must be in another book. That's the problem for me, I hate being left with the reading equivalent of blue balls and I don't know where to go to resolve the story. I just want to read some interesting stories on my phone with a beginning, middle, and end.

Fake Edit: Holy crap that Chronology Project site looks like it's still mid-90's even though it says it was updated in Feb 2015. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's hosted on angelfire or geocities. Is it part of the "Comics Webring"? And you need to key open to decipher it, but it's organized down to what word balloon they last spoke in from that comic. That's an amazing amount of effort to organize things by time in a convoluted universe and yet of little value to me since chronological order doesn't always make a good story.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Just remembered this site, it might be closer to what you're looking for:

http://www.tradereadingorder.com/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, someone with more courage (and money) break it to me gently... how bad was Beyond?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

OK, someone with more courage (and money) break it to me gently... how bad was Beyond?

It was just pretty darn average.

e:
Ha. I didn't notice them hiding Alfred's hand in BM/SM.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/11/teasing-the-state-of-alfreds-hand-in-batmansuperman/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 11, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman] was legit fun quick read just giving a brief intro to the new Batman to catch readers up. I like that it was more of an intro issue and also that it was a one and done (though the ending will lead to bigger things).

Gotham Academy was great. Damian was never going to stay in the title for more than a guest spot and it was great the way he was used in the issue. The story was another fun one and done story, focusing on Maps who is becoming my DC character of 2015 at the moment. If I had one gripe with the book it would be the guest artist filling in for Kerschl. While Chen maintained the cartoony artwork of the title, the anime influence was a bit too much and it ended up making Damian and Maps looks too much alike.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I had an idea. Damian should become a permanent fixture of Gotham Academy, but not as part of the main cast. He should be the book's Glob Herman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Pictured: me reading Gotham Academy

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Pictured: me reading Gotham Academy

If Maps/Grapple Gun is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They seriously need to include a 2 page "The Adventures of Maps" at the end of every book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batbunny schematics

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Someone needs to sit me down and explain to me why there is a wide reaching social media push for a Poison Ivy book

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'd be nice if they attach to the new Justice League United where she's on the team, and this Parker/Foreman comic does well!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So at what point is Powers Corp. going to go all OCP on Gotham and Gordon is going to have to go on the rogue? Six months in, 8? There any back story to this company that is tied into Gotham's history from older issues back in the day or (like my hunch suggests) is it going to be revealed its a front for Daggett Industries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jiro posted:

So at what point is Powers Corp. going to go all OCP on Gotham and Gordon is going to have to go on the rogue? Six months in, 8? There any back story to this company that is tied into Gotham's history from older issues back in the day or (like my hunch suggests) is it going to be revealed its a front for Daggett Industries?

The Powers are members of the Court of Owls

• Locked thread