Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Orders have been taken. The Escalation Die is now at 1.

The knife takes the thug in the arm, and as Leib'fried hits the man next to him like an angry red battering ram, it all becomes too much for him. He turns, trying to push past the archer behind him, and in an instinctive move Do lashes out with a kick! However, whereas this would usually aim for the breadbasket, this kick hits the man square in the keister, and he goes sailing out the door into the rainy street.

Thug 2 is down!

The Man with No Hat is no longer inflappable, and certainly not infallible. He tries to shake the kobolds off him, unsuccessfully--one of the archers clings doggedly to his arm, grinning even while they're shaken wildly. Frowning, he turns his focus up to the woman who has both insulted and demeaned him, lashing out with that shortsword of his. This has about as much success, though he does look pretty good doing it.

Throw the Kobolds: 1d20 4 Failure!
Fighting on a Table!: 1d20+7 9 Also Failure! Daria takes 2 miss damage!

The archers continue to arch. As they do. The one on the left shifts his aim to Alfie, who has purloined the very... eye-catching hat. The one on the right decides firing into melee is a good idea, and the one in the middle decides against that and takes aim at Christophe. Most of them are successful.

Various Forms of Arching: 3#1d20+7 27 14 26

:wow: You guys can check my Orokos log, I don't know what the gently caress. This is the fourth and fifth 19 or 20 I've rolled today. Where the gently caress are these rolls when I'm playing? Alfie takes 9 damage. Christophe's table takes 6 damage. The Flying Bluetails take 6 and don't actually lose a kobold this time.

Initiative Order:
The Man with the Hat
Archers
>"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
Liebfried
Christophe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Getting distracted by his friends getting injured by these thugs, he got hit himself in the shoulder. He leaps sideways towards the archers leaving him between archer and the thug. He then falls to the floor and jumps up and uppercuts the undamaged thug using his right palm.

Attack: 1d20+5 11 (Will a 12 hit? If so I will use a Ki to hit.)
damage: 1d8+4+1d8 18

If I hit I get to do this. (You gain a +4 bonus to PD until the start of your next turn.)
If I miss I do 9 miss damage.

HP: 17/21
Ac: +2 bonus Current Ac 18

Also how do I intercept attacks for other people? Since I can raise my defenses by +3 to make it miss hopefully?

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 1, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not sure a monk can do that--typically that's the Fighter's domain, and he has powers specifically related to taking hits for allies. I'll give it a look, though, and get back to you.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
busy busy. First, Recovery: 1d8+1 2 hmph.

Also, if you're not engaged with anyone, you can intercept anyone trying to move 'past' you. It's only fighters that can do it while already in melee though.

Daria Damsel

Daria tries to catch her breath, but the leader's attacks keep her from giving her much time. She frowns at the acrobatics he tries to pull.
"Come on, all that build up and you can't even hit me? Let me show you how its done."

Daria jumps forward up the table, and lands hard on its edge, sending the table itself flipping over and sending plates, food, silverware, and the previously hatted man flying into the other two thugs arrayed against her!
"But I think that's enough fashion advice! I'm a cook, after all. And I think its time I scrambled an egg!"
She runs back to the others, hoping to surprise the thug Do is fighting. She attempts a flying hit with her pan, but lands badly and misses horribly.
"Whoops."

Spend my momentum to Swashbuckle! Flipping the table on them!
Move to the thug Do is engaged with. I'm hoping my table flipping shenanigans let me avoid OAs.
Evasive Strike vs AC: 1d20+5 6 1d8+1d4+4 16 misses! 1 damage.

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 12/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 7/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum No
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d8+4

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny 18/27hp

"Ow!" Alfie looks down at the bolt sticking out of his leg. Very ow. He grabs the bolt and wriggles it, wincing as it pops out. Well, is that how they were going to play, then? He stands up behind the table and grabs a handful of condiments off the table. The salt, the pepper, some poor diner's abandoned soup (ooh, was that a vichyssoise?), and some nondescript fancy sauce, weaving his way past chairs and tables with a cold soup perched precariously in a ridiculous hat.

Slipping behind the bar counter, he clambers up onto the stool behind the bar counter and stashes the hat just out of sight. Breathing in deep, he shouts in his best theatrical voice.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen! You've made your point, I get it. You can have my recipes. You're lucky 'ere today, I know all the best ones. Borrowed 'em myself from fine cooks like the ones you're fighting with. I ain't got no cookbook, but it just so happens I got what I need right here to make my very best recipe. Now if you'll just give me your eyes for a little bit I'll teach you."

It doesn't have the intended effect, but that was okay. They'd pay attention soon enough.

Spruik!: 1d20+6 9

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Do, since you're in melee at the moment I'm going to say you can't intercept the flying arrows--you're preoccupied with the guy in front of you. A 12 would hit the guy's MD but I'm guessing that wasn't an MD attack, so you miss and he takes 9.

Fracas in the Front End!

Chaos! The table flips over, sending leader and half-eaten dishes all over the thugs in question! Daria successfully flips away! One of the thugs recovers, deciding he's had enough of that and going to hit the kobolds instead--the other one is mostly pinned under his boss, and is mostly drenched in what was once a very nice beef stew. Those who aren't in its close vicinity find themselves suddenly distracted by the appearance of an urchin on the bar, though it doesn't much help Daria's aim.

The Bluetails' head chef gets the thug his crew was riding onto the floor, breaking a tankard over his head. The rest of the Bluetails, however, have a much harder time getting back into the game--though they manage to keep the right side occupied. Furious battle noises continue to roll out of the kitchen.

Thug 7 is down! Bluetails don't manage to do any other damage, sadly.

Thugs Attack!: 6#1d20+5 17 14 14 19 10 12

Fortunately, the thugs aren't doing much better! The one between Daria and Do appears much more used to beating up people who can't fight back, much less two of them at once, and takes a severe pounding. Only the one facing Leib'fried manages to put up anything resembling a fight, and even that is wasted on the ogre's massive physique. The one by Daria does swing around, putting his back to the bar, and scores a glancing blow--though even that might be a problem for the battered rogue.

I rolled one too many dice since that one thug is pinned, so guess what--a big wave of misses this turn! Daria does take 3 damage. Thug 3 takes 10 damage and is instantly staggered.

Initiative Order:
The Man with No Hat
Archers
"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
>Lieb'fried
Christophe

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 4, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Leib'fried

Leib'Fried doesn't look like he's calming any time soon.

Attack again on the same thug (or a nearby one if he's down already).

Attack Roll 1: 1d20+56 12
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+56 11
Damage Roll: 1d6+4 5

So 15. (Should have been +8. +5 + 1 for level, 1 for esc., 1 for TWF) vs. AC, which I'm guessing is a miss.

I do 2 miss damage.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

Christophe popped up from behind the table again, having ducked to avoid the latest volley of arrows. Someone needed to deal with those archers, but the thugs were screening for them.

Deal with the thugs, then. And quickly.

Christophe lowered his knives and drew out an arcane cookbook. A little magical infusion, tuned to sicken and debilitate rather than heal... That was the ticket. He quickly whipped up an incantation and, jumping onto a precarious perch atop the toppled table, flung bolts of light into the faces of the three nearest thugs. They toppled over, retching, as the nauseating colors and tastes overwhelmed them. Those of them that rose afterwards looked rather unsteady on their feet.

Color Spray targets: 1d4 4

Color Spray vs. 4 closest thugs, in order of distance:1d20+56: 16, 22, 16, 10 vs MD, 2d8 11 damage. Targets with 10 HP or less after the damage, which should be all the thugs hit, are also weakened UEONT (-4 to attack rolls and defenses)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fracas in the Front End!

Apertif and appetizers. Escalation Die is at 2!

Lieb'fried strikes! Clipping the arm of the thug he's facing, who ducks out of the way--and right into the path of a wave of nauseating synesthesia! Christophe's color bombardment washes over the thugs--the archers raise their pavises to avoid taking the brunt of it, while the Man with No Hat rolls deftly to the side, letting the thug he'd just landed on take the brunt of the hit! When the popping and flashing clears, only two men get up!

Thugs 1 and 3 are DOWN. Thugs 4 and 6 are staggered and weakened!

It doesn't take a genius to recognize that things aren't going well, and the Man with No Hat is no fool. He aims a kick at the nearest kobold, before making a signal to his troops and moving to the door--taking a hit from the furious kobold head chef on the way, and seemingly uncaring!

Boot Attack!: 1d20+7 10
Disengaging: 1d20 10
Opportunity Attack: 1d20+7 24

The archers continue to fire, focusing shots on Christophe--none of them hit, but the table he's behind takes a beating! They also close ranks, standing in front of their boss with their big pavise shields, shortswords of their own loosened in their sheaths!

Archers!: 3#1d20+7 15 14 18

One of the human members of the cook crew that went into the kitchen comes sailing out, skidding across the floor to wind up slumped against a booth.

Initiative Order:
The Man with the Hat
Archers

>"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
Liebfried
Christophe

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut leaps towards the archer after his friends took care of the thug beyond him. While in the air Donut does a sping and at his end of his spin his feet slams down the archers head, slamming the archer down to the wet muddy tavern floor.

Luckily a hidden potion came loose came loose from the force of his kick. Donut grabs it and throws it at Daria. "Daria use this!" (Not really a potion, its actually a rally. Heal up how ever you need to M.c.P !)

(Edit: I missread the last combo form. So I will spend another ki to change my attack roll to natural even roll. So now I can rally M.c.P)

Attack: 1d20+7 22
damage: 1d10+1d8+4 13

Ac: +3 bonus Current Ac 19

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny 18/27hp

"Today I'll be showing you Peking Rat!"

"First thing we need to do is get the rat ready. It ain't too difficult, and your local market will have someone selling roast rat if you want it. 'ere's a roast I prepared earlier." He reaches under the counter and pulls out the hat, now perched daintily on a plate - right where the toughs' leader could see it. "Next, we lay out the ingredients, the most important thing is that they need to be fresh. If you got a farmer's market nearby, those are the best, otherwise the fresh food section of your grocer will do. We need some spring onions, cut from the stem - we don't want no hollow bits - " a plate clatters onto the counter, "some cucumber, cut into sticks," a second plate, "some 'oi-sin sauce" a bowl leaps up onto the counter, splashing a little onto the polished surface.

"Next we need to make a wraps to put the duck in. It ain't like your normal pancakes, these ones got to be nice and thin. We use a mix of 'alf a cup of plain flour, 'alf a cup of corn flour, a qua'er cup of water and milk each, two eggs, and a couple of tablespoons of butter. Mix it all together, and then pour it nice and thin in a pan an' cook it until it's nice and brown." He makes a show of mixing the ingredients as they go in a bowl, before pulling out a plate with finished pancakes stacked high. "Now I know you ain't got time to stay an' wait for me to cook all of them, so 'ere's some I prepared earlier."

"Next, we lay out the pancake with a strip of 'oisin sauce, an' a cucumber an' spring onion at three o' clock, like a watch."

He pulls out his knife, and lines it up to cut a chunk off the hat.

"An' now, the good part. Now we carve the rat. Now, we wan't nice big chunks, so's you get the most flavour out of it. So we start with the best bits. Watch close now, this is the tricky bit." He slowly starts sawing.

Peking Rat: 1d20+12 20 (rerolled w/ GM blessing)

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 7, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Rally Recovery?: 1d8+1 5 well, average anyway

Daria Damsel

Daria quickly quaffs the potion Do found. "Thanks, I needed that."
Still, she's fighting two on one, not really what she was best at.
"Hey, howsabout we break for a bit of kip. We'll get some wine, make grilled steak, something filling, yeah?
It doesn't work. Daria sighs and brings her skillet down on the hurt one's head.
"Seriously, this is hardly befitting of a cook like me."

Doooooo, I need my sneak attack buddy :sad:
Disengage!: 1d20 1 technically -1 but that hardly matters.
Evasive Strike on the staggered and weakened thug, Evasive Strike vs AC: 1d20+7 23 1d8+4 5
I pop free from the target if he's still alive. Still stuck next to the other one though.

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 13/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 6/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum No
[/quote]

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leib'fried

"Aha I" . Leib'fried grabs the shoulder of the enemy as he goes down and swings himself over to the archer and de4livers a kick to him. "Ha ha ha!!"
Attack Roll 1: 1d20+7 18
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+7 16
18 vs. AC
Damage Roll: 1d6+4 9 (2 damage if miss)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Man with No Hat knows when he's being insulted--and there's no surer way to get at a man's goat than through his headwear. Seeing his hat mutilated makes his scowl deepen to depths you haven't yet seen, and he wrenches the crossbow from one of his archers' hands!

Which... is good, because with the thugs in front of them down, the cooks hit the archers like a runaway cart. The Bluetails are starting to flag, but their leader grabs something from one of the nearby tables, chows down, and leaps onto one of the nearby thugs with renewed vigor!

Thug 4 takes 5 (?) damage! Thug 8 takes 6 damage! Archer 1 takes 9 damage; Archer 2 takes 13, is staggered and is knocked over!

The thugs, for their part, have been reduced by half and are really starting to wonder if this is worth what they've been paid. The one closest to the cooks shows remarkable spirit despite how battered he is,, charging over to Christophe and slamming his mace straight through the table he's covering behind! The others start to inch backwards, towards the door, only to be stopped by furious exhortations from their boss; the one the Bluetail head chef jumped on spins around, grabs the kobold in one hand, and throws him into his fellows, slamming a group of them into one of the booths!

Thugs Attack!: 4#1d20+5 16 7 7 25

The table takes 88 damage and is destroyed! Christophe has lost his cover and is now engaged, albeit with a very badly hammered thug! The Bluetails get critted; another kobold is down and the leader is out of the fray! We're now down to four Bluetails!

The Bluetails have been forcibly disengaged from their foes, but they move before the thugs so that's probably a temporary situation. Two of the archers have been forced into melee, disabling their dangerous arching attack, but the Man with No Hat has purloined one of their crossbows and appears to have taken a furious dislike of Alfie!

Initiative Order:
The Man with the Hat
Archers
"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
Liebfried
>Christophe

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

"My table! Have a little respect for a fine piece of dining furniture, you cretin!" Christophe shook his finger in admonition, then backed out of melee range as the thug swung at him. Producing a gleaming meat cleaver from his sleeve, he laid the man out with a heavy throw that dented his helmet. A second throw sent a serrated blade whirling across the room to lodge in an archer's leg, penetrating the highly impractical armor.

This was going well. Christophe kept one eye on the formerly-hatted leader, ready to incapacitate him with a spell if he tried to flee.

Moving away from the thug, +2 AC vs OAs. If he hits me, use evasive to make him reroll the attack. and then shield if he still hits.

Knife Attack vs thug formerly engaged with me: 1d20+7 27 CRIT 1d4+4 x 2 12 damage
Even Roll: Double Ranged Attack

Second Attack vs staggered archer: 1d20+9 16 1d4+4 5 damage

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 10, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Escalation Die is now at 3.

The man who attacked Christophe goes down like a sack of sand, poleaxed by the blunt side of a cleaver. The archer takes the knife like a champ, though he's not looking any the better for it.

The Man with No Hat takes aim with the crossbow and fires at Alfie! He's no professional, but calm fury makes up pretty well for lack of practice, apparently!

Revenge Archery!: 1d20+6 19 Alfie takes 6 damage.

The archers are not comfortable in melee, but not all of them are, and to their credit they don't crumple as fast as their swarms of comrades. All that armor must be ablative. The one who's still shooting continues to not hit anything. He's not getting a raise.

Regular Archery!: 1d20+7 11
Swordery!: 2#1d20+5 24 18

Do avoids the hit, but Leib'fried takes 4 damage.

A thug in similar armor comes sailing out of the kitchen, landing on top of the unconscious Brusher. The head of one of the other hayseeds pokes out the door, winces, offers a "Sorry!" and then ducks back in.

Initiative Order:
The Man with the Hat
Archers
>"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
Liebfried
Christophe

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Right after Leib'fried kicks the archer, Do flips forward kicks archer (one Leib'fried attacked) at his waist and lands on his hand.

Attack: 1d20+8 16
damage: 1d6+4+1d8 15

Do attacks the archer that Leib'fried is attacking.
If it is staggered it takes 5 on going poison damage. If I missed then it takes 1 damage.

Ac: +1 bonus Current Ac 17

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny 9/27hp

Alfie yelps in pain as another crossbow bolt embeds itself into him. "Oye, that's rude that is!" he yells, grabbing a paring knife off the table and hurling it at the hatless man's crossbow, aiming to snap off the string.

Throw Knife at Crossbow: 1d20+4 18

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria joins in the mosh pit with Liebfried and Do.
"Mind if I join in, fellas?"
She rolls over Lieb'frieds enormous back and plants a foot in the archer's jaw.
"I'm a bit surprised, Do. Is it okay to get your tools all dirty punching these sods in the face like that?"

Engage the archer that Liebfried is engaged with (if it's still alive?)
Sure Cut! Sure Cut vs AC: 1d20+5+3 23 1d8+4 12 1d4 1
So that's 13 damage if I hit, 2 damage if I miss

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 13/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 6/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum Yes

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Pinned between three angry chefs, the archer on the far left sheds armor pieces like confetti, before Daria's bootheel sends him spinning into the wall.

The Bluetail leader is still conked out in the booth, and appears to have taken the group's other archer with him. The line cooks, however, get back in it with a vengeance and dogpile the thug who dared harm their great leader!

What remains of the thug line takes an assessment of the situation and attempts to bolt from these terrifying chefs, before being stopped by the glare of their at least slightly more terrifying boss, who has now lost his crossbow. With a howl, they throw themselves onto Daria, using all the dirty street-fighting tricks you'd expect!

...this is Glitterhaegen, so, less than your average thug and FAR more refined than a Shadow Port scoundrel, but there's a good few shin kicks in there. One of them... doesn't do so well.

Thugs Desparation Attack!!: 2#1d20+5 22 6

Daria takes 4 damage and is ferociously shin-kicked! The other thug rolled a nat 1 and has shamed his ancestors, if his ancestors had any more shame than him (unlikely).

Pretend the thugs are next to Daria.

Initiative Order:

The Man with the Hat
Archers
"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
>Liebfried
Christophe

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leibfried

"yeah, this is getting pretty old already.:" Leib'fried says as he stabs together into a single point with his knife and fork at the nearest goon's chest.
Attack Roll 1: 1d20+9 25
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+9 23
Using the first roll (25)
Damage Roll: 1d6+4 9 on hit, 2 on miss.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

"I don't know, Leib'freid. One can never get too much practice. These fellows are basically punching bags anyway." Christophe flipped another knife into an archer. "They're louder, but that's about the only difference."

Knife Throw vs archer next to daria: 1d20+8 23 1d4+4 6 damage.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The conclusion!

The Man with No Hat appears to agree with your assessment. With surprising agility and pure murder in his eyes, he leaps onto the back of the man in front of him, shoving him bodily into Daria as he lunges across the room at Alfie--

There's a very loud CLANG, as the man displays the textbook definition of "poleaxed" and falls senseless onto the bar stools, having rammed headlong into the flat of the axe Errin has produced from behind the bar. A very BIG axe. The barkeep looks across the room as a couple of Brushers, wielding slightly dented cookware, emerge from the kitchen.

The remains of the thugs shake off their master's sudden move and just as sudden stop, and attempt to take stock of the situation. They take a look at what's left of the Bluetails, still mercilessly punching Thug 8. On the other side, this group of chefs who dismantled their battle line like it wasn't any problem.

The last archer who isn't in the wall or lying on the floor being punched by three people drops his crossbow, and raises his hands. "Right, then."

Victory! You may take stock of the situation, but one way or another you are now out of combat. A more extensive post will follow tomorrow when I am less dead.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Edit: Double Post

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Alright! Excellent work, a blow struck for all right thinking culinarians everywhere. And now, the question on everyone's minds..."
She puts a foot on the No Longer Hatted Man and bends over.
"What the flying gently caress were you thinking?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do pats his robe down when the fight suddenly stops. "Most likely that hat of his was making him crazy.", he says jokingly.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Man with No Hat does not respond. Hitting that axe at the speed he was moving was probably like hitting an iron door. Safe to say, he's going to take a little nap for a while. Errin hefts himself over the bar, to pull the Bluetails off Thug 8 before they actually manage to kill him.

Now that you're not looking at his... his "hat", the rest of his outfit, while ostentatious, is less offensive. A dashing rogue like Daria can see that it doesn't work, however--the fashion pieces are there, but they're all in the wrong order, the colors don't match... He's dressed RICH enough for Glitterhaegen, but it's clearly not what he usually wears.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

Christophe didn't know quite what to make of the formerly-hatted man. He turned to the bar's owner. "Barkeep, do you know this fellow? Have you seen him around? And if so, can you think of any particular reason why he'd make an ill-advised attempt to hold on up the bar?"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

If you have a Skype, please add me at hyperaemiac, I'm gonna try something different from IRC.

Errin looks up from his work, giving the Man an eyeball. "No, he's new to me. Though this lot..." He kicks at one of the thugs, who's now kneeling with his hands on his helmet. The thug sneers back at him. "You lot work for one of the merchant princes, or I'm a halfling. No-one else would put a goddamn gilt eagle on a helmet."

The archer says nothing, but the look on one of the thugs' faces is confirmation enough.

Errin shakes his head, looking around at the remaining restaurant patrons. "I know the weather's miserable, but you're gonna have to clear out. We're closing." There's a few groans from the more hardcore drunks, but most people are all too happy to get out and rush home. Errin turns to yourselves and the other two cook companies. "Not you, stay here. I need to talk to you all."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 26, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leibfried

Leibfried sheithes his sword, and rests the fork against a wall. "As Daria said, I too would like to know what these guys thought they were bloody thinking. I mean, it was just stupid." He gets into one of the thugs face, and starts adressing him. "Like, donkey stupid. I guess we should be happy that the plan was so stupid. Hey, look at me, mate."
"This is where you want to go with your life? Crime? Really? Just f*** it all away? You might not believe it, but I've been in a dark place myself, but I never once justified doing something like this to some innocent person." Leib'fried points at Errin "Ruin your life if you want, mate," Leibfried jabs a finger at his direction. "but don't take others down with you.""

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria tries to look innocent while Leibfried condemns others for stealing. Instead she turns to Errin.
"Man, what a day, huh? Though I think its a good closing, I'm sure more people will show up for the off chance they get a show with their meal. So, what did you want to talk to us about?"

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie, though, has no such compunctions. "Hey, 'e'es already lost, lay off him a little, would ya?" he says, holding up a hand and plunking the (slightly cut) hat back on the man's head, "besides, it's not like you always got a choice. Maybe he don't got no choice but to steal."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Errin's Big Plan

The thug grimaces right back at Leib'freid's assault. "Maybe you don't know where you is, red-face! This is Glitterhaegen, and gold makes the rules here! And we've got--OW!"

Usually getting punched by a kobold hurts about as much as a spitball, but in fairness, he was distracted. The leader of the Flying Bluetails, roused from his temporary repose, rubs his knuckles."You got trounced, is what you got! Shut your face!" He turns to Lieb'freid, offering a hand up at the big ogre. "Gold can't buy sense, it seems. Pleasure doin' business with yer lot! Name's Rikki Beetlebiter, and these're my Bluetails. We can get properly introduce later, if'n you like."

= = =

The thugs are herded and dragged downstairs into the storage cellar by Miles wielding a lamp-lighting pole, with the one who got crushed by the chandelier being stuffed into the icebox. Errin shuts the doors behind the last departing patron, dropping a heavy oaken bar behind them. He sighs, deeply, and walks over to one of the undamaged chairs, sitting down heavily. One by one, the other groups of cooks take up seats around him, near the fireplace.

Errin looks up. "Well, and on tonight of all nights!" He looks up at the Michelin Star, glittering over the fireplace under the smiling boar's head. "No accident, I think. Those louts knew there'd be cooks here to read the Red Book once it updated." He spits into the fire. "Doesn't answer why, of course, but who is pretty obvious, I think."

The leader of the hayseeds, a dour-looking human with four fingers on his right hand, nods. "Merchant-princes."

Licensed by the Emperor, the Glitterhaegen merchant-prince families dominate all trade on the Midland Sea--particularly of spices, which has made them exceptionally rich and, in culinary circles, a certain kind of powerful. This worked well for a while, but a few generations down the line, they start to think they deserve their place in life when their grandparents were the ones who did all the hard work to get them there.

"And now one of them thinks he's so big-booted he can come after COOKBOOKS," Errin grumbles. "Well, I'll be damned if they're going to ruin the best night of my life!" He looks up. "I... might have let slip I was planning something special, though I was hoping to hold it over for the equinox. I've been planning to make Garula au Poivre."

How good is your cooking knowledge? Give me a roll to see if you know what he's talking about. Alternatively, do you know enough about animals to know what a Garula is?

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie makes no pretensions as to his knowledge of the hoitier, toitier schools of cooking. "Wot's a Garula? I ain't heard of nothing like that before."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria can't help her showmanship, she walks up with a broad smile on her face.
"Garula ai Poivre, my rat cooking friend, is a preparation of meat cuts involving peppercorn, spread and seared such that the peppercorn forms a spicy coat to the rich flavor of the meat. It is traditionally covered in a cognac and cream reduction and served with potatoes as a balance to the savory meat flavor."

Daria puts a finger on her cheek and adopts a thinking posture.
"But where are we going to find Garula steak at this time of day?"

Intelligence + Ingredient Appraisal: 1d20+5+3+1 23 I knowledge at it. What's a garula?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Daria knows that a garula is a large, mammoth-like creature that travels in herds around the west and southern coasts of the Midland Sea, generally with the seasons. They're passive, slow, and their meat is extremely succulent, but they can also grow to twice a man's height, defend each other when attacked, and charge with enough force to knock down a wall, which is why they haven't been hunted to extinction yet. The Bluetails, at least, are visibly impressed at the idea of cooking one--it's harder to tell with the Brushers.

Errin continues. "I was gonna save it, but if whoever's ordering these overblown thugs around thinks himself a chef, then I'm going to show him what he's dealing with. A challenge."

One of the Brushers speaks up. "Got guts, Errin. Those princes own this city."

"Sure, but they don't own ME." Errin looks around at the group. "Daria's right, though--even if there's any garula left around here, finding them isn't gonna be easy. An' we don't even know which of these princes decided they want to own all the cookbooks in Glitterhaegen."

One of the kobolds snorts. "All of them."

Errin rolls his eyes. "Yes, but... you know what I mean." He looks around. "I'm gonna be cleaning this place up all week, so I need your help. Someone's gotta find me a garula steak--fresh, if at all possible--"

The Brusher leader cuts in. "We can do that."

"And if I'm going to challenge someone to a cook-off, I need to know who."

"Leave that to us!" Rikki Beetlebiter pipes up.

Errin looks at you lot. "Either one of these is going to be plenty risky, just for different reasons. You lot have a preference?"

So, what do you want to do? Go hunting mammoths for fame, fortune, and rare ingredients, or scour Glitterhaegen for information and MYSTERY REWARDS? Or, do you have other ideas?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leibfried

Leib'fried looks at Alofie like he cae from another planet. "Sure, no choice. I'm sure. Look like a bunch of ready hooligans, I don't think they needed their arm twisted to do this.. " he says. "Am I right, mate?"

"At any rate, stealing's one thing, and attacking and destroying is something all together different. No, I won't cry for what these guys got back."

Knowledge Cooking: 1d20+2 9

Leibfried does't know, but says nothing, waiting for someone to say what it is. "Ah yes, that." he says, knowingly when they do.

"Personally, the idea of hunting mammoth intrigues me. It's been a while since I was 'in the feild' as it were hunting ingredients."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria nods. 'I'll be frank, scooting around Glitterhaegen trying to grill people is not my idea of a good time. Grilled Garula, well, that's another story entirely. The hunt definitely sounds more interesting."

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut picks up a chair with two legs and sits down on it without his rear end hitting the floor. "Well my preference would be hunting down one of the Garula's. Since I know where the herd would be at this time of the season."

Hunting mammoths location ?!(Gathering + wisdom): 1d20+3+3 24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The leader of the Brushers gives Do a look at that statement, but Errin just nods slowly. "Alright, then. The more people out looking, the better the chance of getting a proper good cut. Right, Tocker?"

The Brusher leader nods. "I suppose." He rises from his chair, stretching. The other members of his crew mirror the action; the one who got a thug thrown on top of him groans at the motion. "Well, we're not going to gain anything hunting in the dark. We'll get some rest and set out in the morning." They make their way for the back door, via the kitchen.

Errin stands up, taking another look around the smashed common room. "Ugh, what a mess." He turns to yourselves, and the Bluetails. "I don't know if you have a place to stay lined up already, but you're welcome to set up around the fire here otherwise. I'd offer beds, but..." he shrugs. "I'm a chef, not an innkeeper." The Bluetails don't seem overly concerned, taking over the big eight-top nearest the fire.

The proprietor moves for his bedroom, but stops, fishing a pouch out of his vest. "Oh, right. Miles found a few of these on the ringleader; my guess is, they were meant to pay those thugs." He gives you and the Bluetails a big smile as he tosses the pouches over. "I figure, what the guard doesn't know when they come to pick these lot up won't hurt 'em." The kobolds start making excited noises as Rikki opens the pouch!

Treasure get! The pouch contains 100 gold, which should be 20 split five ways. Whether you stay the night, speak to the kobolds, or go back to your own lodgings is all up to you.

= = =

Dawn breaks over Glitterhaegen, and with it the pouring rainstorm. It's still chilly and damp, but the sky isn't dumping water on the city anymore, and you can see the sun through the clouds on the horizon as the city wakes up and unbatters the shutters. A good chunk of the town is still nursing a pretty nasty hangover, but the usual suspects are open for business.

If you have anything you want to pick up in the shops, feel free! Otherwise, we'll move to the gate and into the wilds!

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread