Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Does anyone have any tips for using gradients? I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I feel like I could streamline the drawing stage a bit if I used them right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FunkyAl posted:

if youre using them with flat colors, think of the spaces of flat color almost like color field paintings. is there some complexity i want to evoke with it? is it especially large/something which contains a bevy of shades etc.

I didn't have an example ready when I asked, but I was thinking something like this:

Mostly just using the gradients for atmospheric or optical effects, and mostly flat areas of color for light and shadow, a few for reflected light if I think it'd look good, and some outlines. The gradients would just be there to play off the rest of the lighting.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FunkyAl posted:

You got the right idea i think! your page looks great, whats the comic about

This is just gonna be a short thing for me to get comfortable with the format, since I haven't really done comics before and it's been awhile since I've done any sort of fiction writing. It's an excerpt from a longer story idea I had, where it's a sci-fi/western about an alien making a living as a bandit while various human factions are colonizing his planet. I really like Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, so I kinda wanna write a character in that vein.

If I like how this turns out I have another story idea that I'd probably go with for a longer comic first, though.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
The art's really unfinished, but I was hoping to post something for feedback and I'm a little pressed for time because I'm going out of town overnight.

I managed to make a font I don't hate in Calligraphr, but I think I'm gonna want to have actual bubbles. I don't think the different colors is really cutting it, and one of the color choices is kinda hard to see.

Am I using too few panels per page for a webcomic format? Most of my other page layouts aren't inline like that, but I've been limiting the number of panels to just a few per page, while most webcomics seem to have a lot more. I just want to address it so I get too far along doing these and end up with pacing issues.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've gone back and made the text a little bolder, and I'm trying giving it a backdrop. The first panel has some terrible tangents going on with that, but I'll just need to fix that up. I'll still want to fix up the art too. At the very least, the text should be a lot more readable and I just need to figure out how to improve things other than that.

I don't know how well it really works as an opening, but eh.

vvvv Yeah I was worried about that.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 11, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Okay so I haven't had a chance to fix up the art, but how does this rough version look? That first panel bubble is pretty terrible, but how's the readability now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Thinking about comics again

thinking about making em

I made some concept art on my phone while out of town

Ideally the art would look something like this but cleaner and finished.