Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Wasn't A Softer World poetry superimposed over photographs? Not claiming to know their business model but it always seemed like a comic that did not come from a place of wanting to have a business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

People get their backs up about worldbuilding because it's such a pitfall for amateurs, but obviously it's not impossible to do well. I do think you need to be able to stand outside yourself, and recognize where your worldbuilding is leading you to make choices that are unsatisfying to readers who lack context, and just mercilessly butcher whatever backstory you had in mind to make those bits read better. Which is really really difficult, especially when you're first learning to write and it feels like this one story will be the only one you'll ever tell.

Kill 6 Billion Demons is constantly derailing its story for the sake of worldbuilding, and yet the exposition is so poetic and beautifully rendered that it becomes enjoyable for its own sake. That's something I really admire and try to learn from.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I have a full-time job and do a comic also! It's definitely a tough balance to keep up - I occasionally find myself stuck in rough patches where I'm staying up until 5 am twice per week - but you find ways to deal with it. Something I've learned to appreciate recently is the value of having a buffer, not as insurance against scheduling hiccups, but as a way to adapt your schedule to your actual energy levels. I.e., maybe you make it your goal to finish one comic between Monday & Friday, then do 1-2 more on the weekend when you're well-rested.

Also, caffeine. (And getting up early to squeeze in an extra hour or two of drawing!)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

thousandcranes posted:

I've been listening to the Dirty Old Ladies podcast this week. It's Spike Trotman, Kel McDonaldand, and Amanda whose last name I'm not going to try to spell but she does Love Me Nice. If you are reading this thread it is probably relevant to your interests/super informative.

Anyone else listening to any cool podcasts in this vein?

Ahh thanks for sharing this! I used to be a big fan of Webcomics Weekly and Art and Story (both long defunct) and have been jonesing for some new comics shoptalk podcasts.

Operation Juicebox posted:

So I'm starting to build a website for my comic project now and I'm pretty sure I'm going for wordpress and I'm going to use either the Webcomic plugin or Comic Easel. Does anyone have any experience with these and could tell me a little bit about why they do/don't like them?
I can only vouch for Comic Easel, but it's fairly solid, provided you don't mind dealing with the inherent headache of managing a Wordpress installation and the possibility of having to root around in PHP if you want custom functionality. If you're starting from scratch, it may also be worth looking into Grawlix.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Let's say you're doing a regularly updated comic, and you hit a patch where keeping your schedule becomes impossible, either due to Life Stuff or just needing to play catchup. Do you guys think it's smarter to go on hiatus 'til you know you're in a good place again, or to go on an "irregular schedule" and just put up comics whenever you can get them out?

I tend to go the hiatus route, because I think it's better for the quality of the work and kinder to readers in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong, though? It feels pretty lovely, leaving readers high and dry for a couple of weeks, and I don't know if it winds up alienating people.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Couldn't agree more. There's nothing more offputting than trying to read through a comic's archive and getting 5 doodles for every actual piece of content.

But yeah, in general I guess like the best policy is just to honestly communicate with your readers/yourself about what you're capable of delivering.

Also I know manga studio has built-in script writing tools. (I mostly just use Notepad.)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

How crass and transparently exploitative would it be if I started uploading from the archives of my already-extant webcomic to a service like Tapastic? It seems like a reasonably low-effort way to get my work in front of some new people, but then there's a whole community of people who actually generate original content specifically for that format and I feel like they'd be 100% within their rights to think I'm an rear end in a top hat for capitalizing on their thing.

...also I think the text in my comics is barely legible on most phone screens. That's probably a more valid point to be concerned about.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Well okay, that makes me feel better. Kind of sensed that it was a silly thing to be worried about while I was typing it. It's easy to forget sometimes that the rest of the world is not as wrapped up in the integrity of your every minor career decision as you are!

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Cephas posted:

I've been getting this impression that like, drawing pictures of my living room probably won't help me learn how to draw a character very much.
Honestly, learning how to draw a decent backdrop will put you way ahead of most cartoonists just starting out :v:

Proko's anatomy videos are a fun way to pick up some tips for drawing people. In general it is just something you have to practice at, though.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I actually read some articles that seemed to be claiming this a few weeks ago. Basically, the point that was made was that with the rise of mobile web and how a lot of peoples' only interactions or experiences with the web are through their mobile devices, webcomics are threatened as a medium because most just simply aren't formatted to be viewed on a mobile device. That, basically, webcomics are a relic of the desktop computer age and therefore doomed to obscurity after their brief heyday in the early 2000s. Thoughts?
Well it's not like comics or consuming images over the internet is less popular now than when Sluggy Freelance became a thing. I definitely could (and already do!) see 4koma style comics surging in popularity, and maybe full-page or newspaper style comics will become a harder sell.

I think sometimes about going back through my archives and upscaling them somehow to look better on phones, either by manually enlarging all the text (which would be a pain in the rear end & would poo poo all over the art/composition), or by adding some kind of "zoom and drag" functionality (which I can't see be anything but annoying to use). Probably a better idea to cut my losses and focus on making new comics that look decent.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I'm just going to draw all my characters wearing DraftKings t-shirts and wait for a phone call.

Actually, I remember reading that PVP was working Wizards of the Coasts references into stories as part of some sponsorship deal. So I guess it does happen.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

For inspiration I would look at Cucumber Quest, which does an amazing job of taking the feel and aesthetic of the Paper Mario games and translating it into an original story that stands on its own. If you could pull off anything in that neighborhood with Super Mario RPG as a starting point then nobody would be more excited about it than me.

My comic (!!!) is a video game pastiche with a lot of roots in the Mario games. I remember looking at the meteoric rise of stuff like Yale Stewart's JL8 and wondering if I wouldn't have been better off just making all my characters Goombas etc. for the cheap brand recognition. But there is something comforting and liberating about knowing that the thing you're working on is actually yours.

e: also Star Wars is Hidden Fortress :colbert:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I would love to go to cons (I have so many ideas for fun things I could hand out!) but I feel like I'm probably not enough of an extrovert to get anything useful out of it. It doesn't help that every con within a reasonable distance is billed as a "pop culture expo", which I'm pretty sure means "place people visit to get Lou Ferrigno's signature".

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I don't really know what's going on but it is beautifully rendered and really visually funny!
Also I think the font looks fine, although I would reduce the space between lines.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

nikochansan posted:

I'm looking to actually/ finally get started with my webcomic somewhere within the next two months, so I'm working on my buffer right now
This was a former test page I did but I realized I have a short side story that this fits well in, so I'm working on that before getting into the nitty gritty of full stories.

Readability of the word bubbles is something I need to smooth out with these next few pages

Nice! I always liked the stuff you posted in this thread with these lil' robot characters. (Some of that text is literally unreadable though, definitely gotta export at a higher resolution.)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

itsthetie posted:

hi! I'm new to this forum.
I co-write the webcomic It's The Tie and created its miniseries Adventures of God.

http://i.imgur.com/y9WA9c5.png (posting it as a url because it's too tall and it'd be obnoxious)

came to this place seeking honest feedback.

cheers!

My impulse is to say that it's a bit long-winded and meandering for a straightforward gag comic (brevity is the soul of wit, etc.). In particular I feel like you could chop off those last 4 panels and lose nothing - that pattern of "funny character says funny line, beat panel, straight man calls funny character an idiot" is something that I think betrays a lack of confidence in the actual joke.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

I've been posting pages of this as they're drawn in the Daily Drawings and Doodles threads, but I finally got a domain name and a little website put together for it, so maybe this deserves dropping a link here. Beyond Loom is a lighthearted adventure story about a giant spider and a small flightless bird:

http://beyondloom.com/page1.html

I'm open to comments and feedback.

Good stuff! Love the linework, love the ink wash coloring. The backgrounds are kinda rough and tend not to adhere to perspective, which is occasionally distracting - I also found the story a bit treacly (wouldn't a pacifist spider, y'know, starve to death) but I guess that's a matter of taste.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Kojiro posted:

Hi I literally do webcomics for a living and Squidster is right, there's a fuckton of hustle involved. His post was pretty drat accurate to my own experiences.

Talking with my friends who are also fulltime artists, it is clear that we all reached this point through different paths, but every one of them involved self marketing, poo poo tons of conventions, establishing connections, keeping an eye on new trends like crowdfunding, etc. 90% hustle, 10% luck.

Self employment means learning new skills, that's the long and short of it.

Are cons really a good marketing tool for smaller artists? Genuinely asking, I have no idea. I always hone in on the negative buzz surrounding cons and tell myself that you can only get something out of them if you've already got droves of fans (or if you draw lots of pictures of Spider-man and Pikachu), but it's entirely possible that I'm dragging my feet to avoid figuring out this whole new big scary part of being a comics-person.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

If you can get away with starting in medias res with standalone stories you should absolutely do it, and consider letting your introduction exist as context that informs your writing (and maybe the occasional flashback). Always try to start at the most interesting part of your story if you can help it.

Also yes buffers are liars & will destroy you if you rely on them

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Fangz posted:

Is stuff like Top Webcomics significant from a promotional point of view or is it mostly for bragging rights?

I'm sure it works for some people but as far as I can tell it's not significant for either

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

You can do pretty much anything you could do with Flash via HTML5 and JS.

I'm not sure how Platinum Grift worked but, again, sounds like something you could do with some simple JS knowledge (if that's within your comfort zone to learn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Yeah, any script I write for my stuff winds up getting massively chopped up and reworked once I get to thumbnailing and actually have to think about where the words are going to live spatially on the page - often one page gets split into 2-3 pages, is reshuffled to flow better, etc. Still useful as a starting point.