Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

trophynano posted:

Hey goons. I couldn't remember if I already posted here but if I did it was a while ago...

I make a webcomic called The Contradictions. It won the Eisner for Best Webcomic last summer! https://www.thecontradictions.com

I was supposed to be special guest at San Diego Comic Con this year to launch the print collection, but the event was canceled a week ago. :C so I'm doing what I can to self promote more in light of that sadly lost opportunity.

Down to chat comix. I remember being on the forums I think 14 years ago when there was a huge Sonic the Hedgehog comics fan who broke into writing for the series. That was a big inspo to me. :)

I can see why it won. Bookmarked this thread on a lark for when I finally got the courage/chops to make a comic myself and I saw this thread was back from the dead again. You absolutely nailed the sense of being a young adult, set apart from yourself and everyone around you. Like you're a little excited, but it's masked with fear of the unknown and impostor syndrome. Followed you on instagram and can't wait to see what happens with the anarchist shop. I have a sinking feeling the bike they bought isn't going to be around when they get out. Is this autobiographical?

I guess since I posted in this thread, I might as well ask: does anyone have any tips for diving headfirst into making a comic when you haven't done anything approaching that before? I've got a rough draft of my entire story and have wanted to make something since I was sixteen. If my layoff gets extended I'm telling myself that I'll make the first issue, or at least the thumbnails. I don't really feel like I have the skills for it yet, at least not to the level I want, but putting something out, learning as I go is better than sitting on it and risking it never being made, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

drat, lots of great information from you both, thank you. Looks like I need to get on the horse so I can fall off it a few times... Specifically by doing something smaller before jumping into my project which is over 100 pages as a rough draft. The six panel grid seems as good a place to start as any, then once I've got a bunch of those under my belt I'll move onto doing the introductory chapter of my story. Trying to give myself an hour will be probably the hardest part of a 30 day challenge as I'm slow as hell right now. I only "started" drawing in January - before that I drew a bit on and off in high school. After a few existential crises and ten years of telling myself that one day I'd make a comic, I decided that I couldn't let myself die being known solely as some doofus that sold license plates. My goal is to get at least a few pages online by the time I turn 30 in November. I suppose this is all to say that everything is a challenge at this point. My pieces will routinely take me over an hour just to sketch out what I'd like to do. Building focus, clarity, and being less precious is what I'm currently trying to focus on.

Having a bit of a buffer with pages sounds like a good idea, as does starting out with 5 to 10 pages to begin with. Consistency has got to be key as I'm the kind of person that can easily get bogged down by day job stress. The closer I can adhere to a routine, the better.

sweeperbravo posted:

What's your story about? Can you post some concept art? maybe you can get us all hooked

The easiest way to describe it is "gig economy superheroes," but it also ended up being a sequel nobody asked for to the Der Ring Des Nibelungen cycle of operas, as well as a story about people being trapped by the choices others have made. The world is so saturated with superheroes so much that they're as common as Uber drivers. You post a contract for something that you want done on the Gungnir app - anything from an assassination to fixing your toilet - and other users submit bids to complete your task. Every user has their abilities and reviews posted on their profiles, and alliances of superpowered people eventually pop up, more resembling small businesses than the Avengers. Things get a bit bonkers, as you can post a contract to assassinate someone, then that person can post a contract to protect them. A lot of organized crime gets done in the open on Gungnir.

As far as concept art goes, I've drawn a few characters. Like I said, I'm only a few months into taking art seriously, so these are a bit amateurish. I also came down with a bad case of "terrible art days" in the latter part of this week, so the first two characters turned out pretty iffy. Actually, that's why I've taken so long to respond - I'm not happy at all with how they turned out and I kept hemming and hawing about posting them. Like sweeperbravo said, though, everybody hates their early stuff!

Isla Stone, AKA London Fog, can turn into mist at will. She met Hemalata Narendran in college, who is a hardlight and nanotechnology engineer. Together they engage in corporate espionage as Providence Eyes, LLC. It works out pretty well, as Isla can't transmute items into mist, so Hemalata has specialized her nanobots into a swarm that forms clothing, weapons, whatever's needed for the current job at hand. The nanobot swarm can dematerialize wth Isla and move her around with microscopic fans - otherwise Isla is subject to the same limitations as normal gases.

The story begins with a routine job for Providence Eyes when they find that Sophie Miller, AKA Quickhatch, has apparently been dispatched to do the exact same thing, while also eliminating Providence Eyes. Sophie has no powers, she's just in the same line of work as PI, but she's been doing it longer. Conflict ensues. While they're hashing things out, they find that an entire strike force is coming to eliminate whoever is left. The three need to figure out how to get out and why they're being targeted in the first place.

This I made a few weeks ago and is actually polished. The first chapter is partially an homage to Metal Gear. I'm not married to the idea.

Later on in the story we meet Barnabas Slattery, a hapless schlub whose only power is that he makes everyone, including himself, believe that he has an octopus for a head. If you take a picture of him, he looks like a normal person. He also possesses telekinesis, as his tentacles aren't real and he manipulates objects with them. Unfortunately, he believes that his tentacles are real, despite being fully aware of how his powers manifest, so he's convinced that he can't really do anything. Most people find his appearance disturbing, so he works from home as a customer service representative for Scraples. He sells warranties for pens.

(Not polished. Tried rushing through this today to see how well I could do with a time limit. Pleased with the results and doing a timed challenge is fun).

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh and I'm explicitly planning NOT to gently caress around with screen recordings and HTML5 setups in 2023

I tried some of that last year and I'm gonna save it for after I get this regular style animation poo poo handled because otherwise I am going to cook my brain like I cooked my last computer

https://i.imgur.com/2eGgHFn.mp4

so that's my plans and the opposite of my plans for 2023

That's pretty slick, I love that chunky, slow game feel.

I'm working on a short comic in my limited time after work and family when everyone is asleep and have a couple more planned out. I'll probably dig my social media accounts out and post it more to archive than to gain traction. At this point I am just having as much fun with the craft as I can. I tried doing nothing but studying and building skill for a few years starting out but it felt like a hollow treadmill of making work and not making art. Now I want to make comics and only do that!

Here's a page:

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 27, 2023