Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Er. Never mind.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, here's another try, this time without chickening out.

I'm considering trying to do comics again, after a long absence. Hi. I'm not sure what I'm doing and I'm very nervous and discouraged.

And uh, on another note. Remember when the thread had an IRC channel? What if we tried that again, but maybe more of a "comic creators shop talk" kind of thing, rather than a place for anything-goes comic discussion like the old channel was?

Basically, if I made a #makingcomics on synIRC, would anyone come. :v:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, okay, nothing ventured, nothing gained: if you wanna hang out and talk shop, join #makingcomics on synIRC.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Great. :3:

More people should come hang out. It's very quiet right now.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Reminder that #makingcomics on IRC is still a thing, even though it's very quiet right now (because there are not very many people there). You should drop in and say hi!

I should make a Twitter for my art poo poo, I guess.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, thread! Just a reminder, #makingcomics on synIRC is still a thing. Come hang out with us in IRC! Here is a guide to using IRC, if you're unfamiliar with it.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
In an effort to motivate myself into actually making progress on my webcomic planning, I've started (just barely) posting art on Twitter. (If anyone wants to look at the grand total of one relevant sketch up there now, I'm @astralharpy).

I dunno, how do you guys stop being terrified of actually initiating a project? I've gotten very good at being avoidant the past few months and it's really impeding any progress.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, if you don't like working on the same drawing for hours to days, I honestly don't think comics are "for" you.

Also, don't trace 3D models. The facial expressions will always look off and dead.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any good guides or resources on costume design? I struggle a lot with designing clothes for characters and I'm not sure on how to start correcting it.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Coming up with designs, most of all.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
My goal is to have fashion that roughly corresponds to the 1920s but if the starting point had been Russian traditional dress and not Western dress. :v: It's not that hard to research, but it's hard to come up with designs and I don't know if it'll become easier or if it's something one has to have talent for.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You can't say that and not share.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
It's cool to post ~concept work~ for projects, right?

I'm back to working on a comic. Taking baby steps, so here, have reference sketches for three out of four protagonists:

My worry is that my art isn't good enough yet to attract and keep readers. :ohdear: But it's been eight years since I decided I was going to do a comic and I feel i should probably make good on that soon.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
The two shorter ones are twins! I was hoping the taller guy's face was distinct from the other two, but I think I didn't quite accomplish that. Will have to rework.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Reminder that there's an IRC channel for comic makers! #makingcomics on irc.synirc.org!!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh and I bought CSP Pro on sale and loaded it up with Frenden's brushes for MS5 that I'd gotten a while ago for god knows what reason and I'm very satisfied with the result. I especially like the stroke correction, it's a lot less overwhelming than in previous versions of CSPP/MS and thus actually helpful (I have tremor, so it helps a lot when I'm sketching zoomed out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Hrm. Would there be any interest in another attempt at having a dedicated thread for character design? It's something I struggle with a lot and it'd be nice if I had a specific place to post looking for crit.