Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Spaseman posted:

I had to stop watching. This is such a bad way to introduce people to your game. For the last five minutes the screen has been pure black while this guy whines about flint.

I got the opposite impression. This is going to be everyone's experience the first time they play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Man what a terrible feeling where people complain about a 770 giving lovely performance on a UE4 game.

Also lol at PsiSyndicate bitching how no name scrub streamers have their alpha codes and god tier streamers like himself do not.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 1, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
This is like watching human civilization evolve. Everyone around Lirik just figured out they have a better chance of survival by banding together. They also just discovered how to find flint so fire is soon to follow.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
--The big green things are the obelisks where you can transfer items between official servers.
--At launch they plan on having over 750 spawn points all around the island and not just around the beach.
--Tame dinosaurs by beating the poo poo out of them until they fall unconscious, then nurse them back to health by feeding them and spending time with them.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The heavy breathing the instant you start sprinting needs changed. Its more annoying that it needs to be.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
"Piggy Was Right"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I wonder how long it's going to take for people to get to level 47ish so they are able to even make the saddle for the flyers. Also the parachute is a low level easy to make item that will soon become as standard as a pickaxe for active servers.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
That's correct for what I saw on stream yesterday. You walk up to the center of the obelisk and if you have enough reagents you can summon a boss monster.

Reagents are like Megaladon teeth and T-Rex arms.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Streamers didn't lie...this game is loving loud.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Jumped into single player and decided to punch a tree for some thatch and wood. Accidentally gave a Triceratops a right hook as he was walking by.

Ended up knocking him the gently caress out somehow. I took his meat and hide with my bare hands.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Unfortunately that server is behind on updates, you can't join if you have the newest update.

We should probably find an official server that keeps up with updates before we get too invested in that one.

I know there were two teams of goons running there last night. I didn't realize they were spitting out updates that fast. This was my first real experience with a survival game and I had a lot of fun watching everything progress. Our team went from fumblefucking around blind in the dark looking for each other or raiding some poor dudes shack out by a secluded oasis.

Some of the team focused on taming beasts. I decided to try and be the groups house decorator. So if you logged out last night in a thatch hut trailer on that Yoshi server, don't be scared when you wake up.

Somehow our pack dinos got away as well. I don't know if someone took them out but I had built a two car garage that we can park them in.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Goons are in the process of knocking out a T Rex right now. We have it trapped inside our base.

Massive amounts of slingshots and stones are being thrown.

EDIT: T Rex is down. Taming in progress.

Givin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 5, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
T Rex killed by spy j4g.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
And Jurassic ARK is no more. Goonbase is gone. Jurrassic ARK World Tower 1 fell at 5:00AM EST this morning.

We will never forget.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The biggest risk in the game right now is losing your poo poo to other goons. You will most likely wake up naked every day.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Nope.

EDIT: Yep.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 7, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

minchar posted:

The original image this gave me of carnosaurs wearing full flak armor scared the poo poo out of me.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Game is hard as gently caress now. Dinosaurs went into overdrive. "The game operates like it should"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Keratin/Chitin is worth more than gold in this game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Would it be possible to add a few more channels in the ARK mumble? Having Goon Island and Jurrasic ARK and raiding parties and crafting parties all talk over one another is confusing. I know goon mumble and all but still.

EDIT: Thanks !

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 9, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Jurassic ARK 2.0 is no more. They brought 3 T Rexes this time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
We tried a prison. It was fun but we could never fill it up. We tried a hot box made of metal and had lots more success out of that.

Our next pubbie torture device must involved a trap door. I'll think about this at work.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Goon island is excellent for a couple of people, but doesn't have nearly enough spawns for all goons. It also doesn't have a variety of spawns, just aggressive high level monsters. Looking at the map, there are a couple of outlets on cliffs in the NW where we could build a base with a single entrance that may work. There is also a cave we could secure that could be fortified similarly to goon cave. There is also a mountain for when the metal on mountain patch hits... Its literally perfect. Yes, it'll be higher traffic than goon island, but there will be more to do for more goons.. Everyone needs to get it through their head right now that building bases takes a whole lot more effort than destroying them. It is pointless trying to be indestructible, so lets just try to get a good place to poop sock up levels and not worry about building a giant town right now.

I want to do this. I will follow you Dino Lord.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Picer posted:

Also worth mentioning. The fact that we are a zerg do not mean that its a cakewalk. Higher lvled smaller tribes will gently caress us up, and have on several occations. We got properly hosed.

At the same time, since we are so many in different timezones, its a hell of alot faster to rebuild.

And the mentioned clueless goon is also in the tribe, and have several times cost us shitloads by loving up.

This is 100% true. A large tribe is more of a detriment than anything unless you have people that span 24 hour time periods or said large tribe has been gaming together for a long time and aren't a bunch of rando rambos. It's not unheard of to begin a large project, say fortifying a base where you farm up a very large amount of materials such as iron and chitin only to come back to god knows what. This is particularly frustrating with Metal and above mats because cement paste is still sort of a choke point. I'm sure the dragonflies being added will help this, I hope.

And farming is boring as gently caress, thus hardly anyone wants to do it. Understandable. I personally enjoy it and will just run out and fart about while watching/listening to something on a 2nd monitor. Seeing that crazy pipe system finished was very satisfying.

I have had a ton of fun playing with Server 40 Goons. We have lost many bases to timezone raids and just laughed about it the next day only to rebuild ten times as strong. Our current base is amazing as gently caress but even it will eventually fall. When the game gets fixed with all the rubber banding and poo poo, everyone will have to learn how to play again. That will be hilarious as dino base guardians will be the poo poo.

The morale of the story I guess is don't be afraid to be a crafting bitch to someone. You still get exp by harvesting. Even if you're out hunting like a boss with your raptor, drop your chitin and keratin off near your local mortar and pestle.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Viridiant posted:

I feel like there needs to be more ways to protect your mounts. Right now investing the time to get anything that can't fight back against a Carnotaurus seems pointless, because those guys can just charge in and destroy your pet. I figured my parasaurus could at least outrun one if it came along but nope, it's too fast. So putting in the time and effort to tame one is just not a good idea.

Can trikes and stegos handle carnotaurs? At what point do you get gear that makes protecting the weaker mounts against the stronger threats viable? I'm assuming that brontosauruses can handle them.

What I'm hoping is that dinos have a secondary ability that players just can't access yet like the scorp/T Rex grab or the Trike charge. Don't know if that will fix anything or just create one giant game of rock paper scissors with dinosaurs.

Also dinos will be way way more dangerous when the servers aren't rubber banding like they are now.

I did get swarmed by a dude riding a scorpion with a pack of Dilos in tow. That poo poo sucked.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Dropping a Dino's health doesn't impact taming speed at all.

That's correct. Dropping it's hunger does but only if you have pre planned a method of dropping it via stims and narcos. Drowning them used to be a cool way of speeding up hunger drop for small dinos like dilos and raptors since you can easily move them to water and back out.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

Well I can confirm that setting up a metal base by yourself is too much for one person. I am tearing apart the entire mountainside and only have six foundations and 5 walls done. Some of the pieces came from supply drops too.

I think they can only do one of three things to make this manageable. Its not a question per se of having enough people when I have stripmined the whole loving area and have barely anything to show for it. Having more people gathering would just overextend distance of your base and you will just suffer losses from players or dinos.

The three things they can do:
- Reduce the metal weight. This allows you to gather more in a run but still has the stripmine problem.
- Make the smelt metal a 1:1 exchange. Currently 2 metal makes an ingot so you have to gather 100 metal to make a single foundation plus the cement. I have solved the cement problem but it only works because my area of control has a cave with scorps and spiders.
- Increase the metal drop number from metal rocks. This is the most sense able as it will make gathering in an area manageable and bringing a supply dino along to carry your poo poo brings home the gathering aspect.

I have been using my Ankylosaur for a dual purpose miner and logistics. Its also pretty lame that you can break the metal pick so drat easily making it more efficient to dino mine so you dont have to spend a percent of your cut to rebuild the picks. The Ankylosaur is pretty slow but it handles every loving thing that comes its way. I killed a player pack of raptors that attacked me with just the two of us.

This is one too many effortposts on my part so I am probably gonna try to stop spurging after this one.

One question I have though is how the gently caress does anyone get the 10 oil required for the fabricator when the loving nodes drop about 2 oil each and they are loving super dangerous to reach. I can guess that everyone is running their poo poo off of supply drops right now because gently caress brawling sharks. You can clear them well enough on the coast but out in the open water you are just hosed.

I also know your pain with building a metal building. It's just way too much. It took me forever to build a simple 4x3 shack out of metal to protect our metal mining operation away from our main base. This was before the change making dinos not able to damage metal walls. Right as I completed it, a dude on a T Rex rode up and began chomping on the building. He damaged it so loving fast. We responded and ran him off but it was clear that making a metal building was a waste of time so we tore it all down to salvage the ingots.

They later came back with 3 T Rexes to finish our main base off in a matter of seconds. Next day the wall damage patch hit.

You really have to have a team ready to work together when it comes to large metal projects. I'm hoping at least when dragonflies go in that they are another source of chitin so we can make paste more efficiently. Also I think weight should be looked at. And even after all that, anything metal can just be hosed over with grenades which are super easy to get.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Celebrate victory with us friends over our mortal enemy Uncle Moe Lester. Ragequit 6/13/15. Never forget. Thank you Moe for smelting all our ingots for us and making pikes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Tribe of Tribe seriously the goon tribe? I keep finding your stuff but I've been destroying it. I will stop if thats the case

You have made a powerful enemy this day.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

kartikeya posted:

So I've been dicking around trying to learn the game playing on a local server, which as you might imagine has its limits in enjoyment (taming ten dilos and then letting them swarm everything was pretty entertaining though). I'm thinking about hopping over to official 40 if I can actually get in these days, but I've got a question about general Mumble etiquette. I've got some weird anxiety issues that sometimes mean I really can't deal with a lot of chatter, how frowned upon would it be to occasionally mute Mumble if I need to? I know that hardly helps with things like, you know, raiding or getting raided (and I wouldn't mute it during those times anyway), but would that be something that would annoy people?

I suppose that question would go for the Rust Mumble too, since my current gaming group is half burnt out after our last adventures and I might be looking at joining in for hijinks there too. Not amazing at either game, but I can gather slave with the best of them.

ARK mumble is typical goon mumble. You're going to have a mash of personalities in there all conflicting for voice. 5 people or more talking over one another. (I am a goon chat shitter and I freely admit this) Multiple conversations tripping over one another. Some voices more vocal than others because they are always the voice to comment after anyone makes a statement or asks a question. Nobody worth a poo poo would mind that you mute mumble for your own sanity. I do it all the time when I just don't want to hear people talk about random poo poo or hear how awesome anklyosaurs are every 5 minutes. That's just how it works. Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you just want some personal chill time to chop trees or mine metal and couldn't be bothered with anything else.

During hectic times such as raids, mumble is a exercise in rear end in a top hat puckering frustration. But in all honestly all the dudes who hang out are pretty cool cats and help isn't hard to find help in game if you need it. Just don't be surprised at the level of chatter sometimes. It happens. People just having fun with other people and like to talk to each other.

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 19, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yes. Tribe of Downs owns that server. Spawn at North 2 or 3 to see their poo poo. Tons of griefing happens here. Currently trying to powerlevel a dude up so I can snipe them out of their base and off their fliers as they come and go.

It's no different than an official server either. Rubber bands like a motherfucker when more than 30 people get on.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
About a weeks worth I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
They are still looking for us on 40. I logged in and found what I think are the goons who didn't want to be in Tribe of Tribe building right outside of where Goon ARK used to be.

So I killed them.

Then some dude was paroling north beach on a bird. So he picked me up 3 times and tried dropping me in the ocean but I wasn't having that poo poo so I killed his bird with a pike I looted out of a drop. Holy poo poo the drops around where ARK used to be.