Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Could somebody give me a quick heads-up on the dinosaur features here?

I'm pretty interested in this game, early-access jank and all. It looks pretty charming.

I enjoy a good sandbox builder, but I'm kinda burned out on minecraft. What I'd be picking this up for is the dinosaur stuff, so how much is there to do there and how good is it right now?

Sounds like you can mount dinos and attack each other for sure, how do the mechanics work for controlling and ordering dinosaurs? Can you corral several at once? Breeding? Can you order around several at once or are you limited to the one you're saddled on?

I read the OP but it seemed kinda out of date, and most of the linked FAQs seemed to be talking about planned features, trying to get an idea for whats playable at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The more I read about this game the more sold on it I am. Gonna pick it up after work and check it out.

You can ride sabertooths and megalodon sharks? :aaaaa:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn it, I have poor impulse control and bought this. WITCHER 3 IS RIGHT THERE AND I'M BUYING JURASSIC PARK HUNGER GAMES.

I just bought it too.

So far it feels like DayZ with dinosaurs, but that's actually a huge loving improvement.

I was freezing to death in the cold rain so I punched a tree for thatch but I got super hungry so I punched some dinosaur and it ate me.
10/10 would play again.

Need to get in on the goon server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

89 posted:

Compatible with a 360 controller?

It does have gamepad controls options and lets you bind keyboard keys to whatever you want, should probably work with a 360 controller.

Haven't tried it myself though so can't say for sure. But worst case you could always use joy2key.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

So how is this game?

There is a poop button

GOTY 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I like the high level supply drops only having blueprints, that puts a nice limiter on some of the endgame poo poo. But I'd like them to go further and remove all the weapon engrams above pistol and make them a one-use or more blueprint. If they also make supply drops completely random and not in pre-set spots (or increase the spots 10x so they don't always drop in the same place) that would make broken endgame poo poo a lot more managable. Make the T-Rex saddle only obtainable from cave supply chests and we're golden.

poo poo like this is also way cool and I want some way to make tree's permanent and non-choppable so the aesthetic can stay (or have high hitpoints).

That's super cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Putty posted:

i am not the first person to ask this but how the gently caress do you play this game

this is the game at minimum settings + a config i installed for performance and the game still barely functions at all

Sorry the instructions were unclear, you were supposed to install it on your computer, not your gameboy advance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm enjoying this reset, I lost my little cabin but everybody else lost their fortresses, running around on the unspoiled ground is pretty great.

:lol: Its still in Early Access...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It seems like the devs may be cool with having private servers go on indefinitely without getting wiped, since that doesn't really give you an advantage over anybody, its just your own little place. But for any kind of public server or pvp server, they'll do pretty regular wipes until release as different exploits get discovered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Given enough time, can a single person learn every engram?

Before the patch you couldn't. I did notice the patch gave me back more engram points than I should have had before the refund, but that was probably to take into account the new engrams.

E: FB

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If there is one thing I have learned from Rust it's that the game is most fun when it's new, but really easy to get burned out on with scattered content and frequent wipes.

Hoarding a thousand units of ammo and explosives is fun and all, but I encourage everyone to actually go out and use them rather than waiting for it to get wiped. Remember, it's not about what you have, but what you can take from other people.

E. Oddly, unlike every other survival game thus far, I have had more trouble from the dinos than the people. In fact, apart from occasion flickers in the distance I very rarely even -see- anyone on 70/70 servers, apart from gooncaves of course.

Yeah, plus even if you don't get wiped lots of your resources will spoil over time; may as well use them now and then just get more later.

I do like that dinos are more of the thread. Players are an ever present threat to watch out for, and put some pressure on things, but you don't want to be constantly killed by some griefing dicks like in DayZ, where the people are far worse than the zombies. I like killing and taming dinos, and the occasional border dispute with some enemy tribe is all the pvp I need. For me having other people around is more about seeing their buildings and fighting over territory than it is 24/7 deathmatch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

89 posted:

Anybody with a 970 GTX that can vouch for how well the game runs for you?

Game runs pretty drat smooth, looks amazing and runs at 60+ FPS except when the server hiccups. 970 and a 2500k. High settings except shadows?

Why would you even ask? 970 is a pretty beefy card. There are people playing in the thread running ARK on toasters by comparison. It looks like rear end but its still playable. But no, of course it looks pretty drat good on a 970.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's not the only graphical issue though. Water turns into golden yellow rivers of piss right around sunrise even if the sun isn't actually past the horizon yet. Trees that are supposed to be swaying in the breeze instead do the loving limbo.

Its Early Access though, I can imagine these things all getting sorted out over time and kinda being low priority right now versus major gameplay features.

Also big trees give you like barely any wood while tiny vines give you tons. :iiam:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwatHammer posted:

These are my current settings. I get very little fps drop other than when loading into gooncave.

Yeah I've got my settings pretty much the same as yours except Anti-Aliasing and General Shadows are both on Medium.

As such I get 60fps. :getin:

Bunch of people probably have SSAO and Tessellation on :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My old base got rekt so I spent the day hiding a bunch of tiny little respawn shacks around, with any luck even if one gets found and destroyed I'll still have a few around.

ARK is running a bug bounty program, pretty drat cool. Get $100!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594821545181831108/

Everything about this game is way more professional than anything minecraft, dayZ, h1z1 or rust ever did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp, this is like the fourth or fifth day in a row now I've logged in to find myself either naked or dead with all my work from the last day done.

There was just a server reset but people are already running around with t-rexes and C4 happy to wreck other people's poo poo.

I really like most of this game but the fact that your character just lays there undefended if you log out for even a few hours is probably going to kill this game for me pretty quick. I have a job and even if I didn't I don't want to play the same game 24/7.

Problem is if I join the goon clan its not going to feel like I'm making as much progress, I'll just be another cog in the machine. But if I play on a private server then it'll just be me and my few friends, nobody to fight with.

They really need something in between, like PvP-light server rules, where you can log out and be safe and keep your inventory, but where otherwise things work the same as they do now.
Having to scrounge up the materials to make a torch when you've been stripped naked is just not any kind of fun. I don't mind people knocking down my bases so much but taking literally all of my hard-earned items, my blueprints, poo poo like that.... its just killing my drive to pay this game. Anything I do will just be gone the next day, except for experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Most of those people with rexes and C4 are part of a team, while you studiously avoid joining one. Enjoy getting wrecked I guess? Also if you can't get yourself back off the ground with basic kit before even leaving the beach you are playing this game drastically different than the way I do.

If I respawn at a beach, less than 15 minutes later I'll have a few spears, a pick, an axe, a bow a dozen arrows a torch and probably a pocket full of berries.

I have a tribe, thanks. That's not enough. Unless you're a giant team that has players in all time zones on 24 loving 7, you're going to get wrecked while you sleep.

:downs:

Jackard posted:

Use the tribe as a safe haven, otherwise hermit it up?

Yeah that might be the best option. Get on goon server in goon tribe but then build my own poo poo somewhere else.

Even then though I wouldn't have people defending me while I sleep unless I run over to the goon base and sleep there every time.

Its just kinda a wonky game mechanic. If nothing else while you're logged out, if your character isn't unconscious they should like, fight back. If you have a spear, they should poke whoever tries to take their inventory.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Apparently this:

"+25% GPU Perf gains. Yes, we had the GPU's idling about 20-25% of the time due to a driver bug. You're gonna enjoy this"

:lol:

Well that's early access gaming for ya.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

I have not noticed much of an improvement with my 780 GTX. I've had to turn some textures down to see if I can get things a bit smoother.

Are any other people getting a huge hiccup when going to and from the cave? I notice when I am exiting the cave I can see all the foliage and rocks outside the cave are present, and then after the hiccup it shows the area properly deforested by goons.

Yeah I've noticed hiccups when entering caves, they're probably using them as portals to partition the game space and they probably only accurately render foliage for your current closest world tile, everything else is probably just faked with random trees so that'd explain what you're seeing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvv-GEHjTv8

Goto 20:45 and start watching. One of the cooler bases I've seen in the game and the swim down is awesome.

That is a legitimate evil underground fortress. I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

It's rocks loading up as invisible on your screen.

Not so much invisible as not loading period. Your local client thinks its okay to walk into the space so it does so, but then when it communicates to server "hey I'm at X-Y-Z" the server says "no you aren't, that's inside a rock, so back you go" and it creates a lag-like situation.

Its a problem of data sync. Somehow the rocks aren't getting properly synced across clients. Probably a server bug.