Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

So their server host exe literally has no ini or any kind of config that I can see yet. I am willing to bet that there is an argument you can switch upon launch of the game to try to direct connect. That is probably what is doing it. There are password protected servers starting to appear in the server listing. If anyone gets one up I would suggest we password it for the time being as the hype train is plowing hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

minchar posted:

Last I heard passworded servers were causing client crashes if you tried to connect from the browser. The streamers I saw using those passworded servers were using a launch option on steam to direct connect.

Yeah I figured that was the case. If anyone spots the syntax for the launch arguments it would help out a lot.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Vashro posted:

anyone here hosting a server?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxukOcik0S8

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was somebody saying that Lirik guy was a professional streamer?

I've only been watching him for about 5 minute so far, but he already comes off as a giant rear end in a top hat.

That is what "Professional" streamers are.

The Requirements to go pro are:

- Be bad at all video games
- Be stupid bad at video games
- Act like a child
- Talk about topics you have no loving clue about

dominoeffect posted:

what server are most of the goons playing on now?

edit in case anyone is wondering: http://arkservers.net/server/5.189.181.254:7777

Can anyone vouch that this is online and we are playing here?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

YANSEE posted:

Which one of these streamers has the least distracting personality

I Like these guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4o1ED0xMiw

I don't know if BroTeamPill is doing a run at it yet but they are another comical group.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

nightwisher posted:

Yeah, that's where we're on until we get our own private server.

Cool.

Here have this.

steam://connect/5.189.181.254:27015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Some for the pile

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

sushibandit posted:

until there's a perma-goon server up.

Our current progress with that.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

minchar posted:

You have to visit one of the obelisks (the big towers floating in the sky) and use the terminal. On the terminal will be an option to "transmit data" and then, after clicking that, an option to "upload character data." Once that is completed you go to your new server and "download data" at the obelisk.

Note: this only works on servers that have specifically enabled "data download." The official servers currently have this disabled as I'm assuming they're still working on a way to make sure you can't transfer hacked characters to official servers.

We pulled this off once to transfer to the private server we settled on a day ago and then the dick didn't update the server and took it offline so now the characters are either wiped or locked away from us. This is the problem with the whole system. If you are fleeing to a new server because then old one went down or never updated then you are probably gonna need to make a new character because your guy died with the server.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Givin posted:

Jurassic ARK 2.0 is no more. They brought 3 T Rexes this time.

This on the official server you guys are getting hammered?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I have been having a great time in a private server with a low population as it was the only one that I could really join a few days back given the official servers are literal poo poo. My frame rate is stable except during area transitions and then it fixes after a short stall. My ping is great here and I can fight dinos without any frameloss. So with my magic wonderland I go and hear about how you guys set up shop on the official server 40. So I think to myself "Hey Drinkfist you should go over to the "goon" server and level up a guy."

So I go and try to join you're poo poo server. After 12 or so minutes of "Server is full" messages I get in and my framerate takes a nosedive. I chill out in an area for a bit until it stabilizes and has everything loaded and then go to brawl a dodo. During the fight I rubberband all over the place and my hits don't show any connection like blood splatter or anything. But my health is going down as it does with fistfights so I am connecting. After a pile of dodo deaths I go and speed level to the slingshot and go to knock out a trike to continue my speed leveling. Night comes and nukes my frames and kiting the trike doesn't work well as I am rubberbanding all over the place as well as my shots are not showing any connections and tracking the rocks in the air is dicked to holy hell. I disconnected and went back to my Texas Wastelands server where the game is fun.

The loving official servers are complete poo poo. Thousands of people placing garbage on the beach, overpopulation, god awful ping and framerate dickups. No wonder you people complain about frames and performance issues all the time. Its the loving server.

The issue I see with the private servers is that players can download a guy into the server from single player that they used server commands on to boost to 60 straight up. Other than that setting which can be turned off the private servers are superior in every way to that offical garbage. The most likely cause of it was the day one play surge prompted them to multi box their servers so they might not have true dedicated servers over there and just a whole bunch of split ones.

Give a private server a shot for 10 mins. Tell me you don't see a loving difference in performance.

I am playing on a TexasWastlands.com Server
192.223.31.180:27030

My ping averages from 60-90 range.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

You can't upload any characters from single player as far as I know, only copy survivors from official servers to another official/unofficial server.

Hmmmm That was my assumption on how that CSGO goon that joined my server at level 60 did it. Ill have to ask him now. I know he didn't have a legit level 60 given what he told me.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

When the official servers have low population they too run amazingly well (I.e. right after a patch or during morning hours). The problem is the game has a hard time when you get at max pop. It is also the most fun at max pop, as battling other dudes is a real highlight of this game. Have fun on your low population server tho.

If it was any other game I would agree with you on the player fights being highlights but survival in this game is brutal enough with all the crazy rear end dinos roaming about. This is defiantly a step in the right direction for the survival genre where players were the only threat roaming about the countryside and offline raids are a big deal. Having turrets and dinos protecting your base is an upside but if the player population is the real reason of the performance destruction then I still would rather my low pop until the optimization passes start bearing fruit. It's just so drat frustrating to deal with the framerate in such a hostile world.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 10, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

Is he friends with the administrator, or has the admin password? On private servers cheating levels is as easy as "cheat addexperience", and with the proper parameter, you can share it through your entire tribe.

Thats doubtful. I literally just sorted the server list by ping and pop and picked one with a name that sounded like it wasn't gonna be taken down. Until I contact him I still think it was a single player character that he uploaded and then downloaded in. Has anyone actually tried that yet? I know the offical servers block character downloads that are outside of the official servers or so I am told.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

By "low pop" I ment on any given hour there is 20+ people on the server and on the weekend we saw 50. I don't know how many goons are playing this but there is plenty of slots here and the server runs loving great.

I don't know what this "no pvp on private servers" poo poo is because most/all have pvp enabled.

So the arguement points are this

Play on Offical Server:
- Terrible Ping
- Terrible Performance
- Overpopulation. You always have to wait for a slot to get in.
- poo poo scattered all over the beaches. Most abandoned.
- Lots of people to fight.
- Fights cause super rubberbanding

Play on Dedicated Non-Offical Server:
- Great Ping
- Great Performance
- Stable Population
- Smaller tribes of people
- Fights don't cause a performance spike.

So my question which is the question we were all asking day one of the EA launch. Why don't we all play on a real dedicated server?

With follow up questions like:
How many goons we got playing this game?
Is it enough that we could host our own server and all play on it against one another?
How many of you goons are unable to play on the official server but can on a Private due to performance?

I know that the CSGO goons are playing in a small group on another official server, I know you people are mostly in O40, I know another pile of goons playing scattered all over the net. This is what happens when the goddam launch was a loving server shitstorm that everyone wanting to play couldn't get into a server and then got scattered to the wind looking for literally anything to play on and then got settled and called it home.

If this Friday patch fixes the issues I am having on O40 then I would give it another shot but I doubt it will and as it stands too many of us are scattered all over the place and unable to connect or play this loving dino game for many reasons. We should have this conversation before the game has been out for a week and everyone sets down super roots and never wants to leave their poo poo. The leveling process is much easier when every loving cave in the map isn't locked down by multiple groups of people and you can figure out how to kill Sharks (Which is how I mainly level, Caves and sharks are big xp farms)

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

LuciferMorningstar posted:

People keep talking about this transfer thing, but no one has ever (to my knowledge) actually said anything particularly specific about it. The main thing I keep hearing is that it's disabled on the official servers, and since we're on an official server, that sounds like a problem. It might be a way to convince people to branch out, but everyone will need more details first, I think.

You go to one of the three obelisks in the game. You use the altar under it. You get the option to summon the boss, upload a character and upload a dino. I have never done the upload a dino. If you upload your player you are prompted that you lose all gear and the character on that server will be deleted. When you go to another sever that allows downloads you can then in the character creation window select from a list of uploaded characters and then spawn as one of them in the server. The only thing you retain from the transfer is your levels, stats, and learned bps.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

futile posted:

There are a lot of goons playing the game scattered across all the servers. I and quite a few others wanted to play on server 40 hoping a bunch of tribes of goons would be battling each other. Unfortunately it ended up being one massive goon rush tribe so we deleted our chars and switched servers.

Yeah I got six goons in the Texaswastelands.com server. I knew we were scattered but I don't understand the goonball deal where most goons don't approve of goon on goon violence. It was my understanding that it is the best kind of violence. A stranger will break into your house and steal all your poo poo. A goon will accidentally fall into your house and fill the boxes up with their poo, then attempt to paint the walls pink, then get bored and attempt to wrestle a indoor dodo pet and die. Sometimes there is a rare occasion where a goon will actually put hours of effort into gathering everything needed to raid a house and then after all the effort and blown out doors and walls smashed discover that the backdoor was open and the house was abandoned.

Incompetence is our loving hallmark. Thats why I wanted everyone on the same server. So we can be terrible together ... against each other.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Well I can confirm that setting up a metal base by yourself is too much for one person. I am tearing apart the entire mountainside and only have six foundations and 5 walls done. Some of the pieces came from supply drops too.

I think they can only do one of three things to make this manageable. Its not a question per se of having enough people when I have stripmined the whole loving area and have barely anything to show for it. Having more people gathering would just overextend distance of your base and you will just suffer losses from players or dinos.

The three things they can do:
- Reduce the metal weight. This allows you to gather more in a run but still has the stripmine problem.
- Make the smelt metal a 1:1 exchange. Currently 2 metal makes an ingot so you have to gather 100 metal to make a single foundation plus the cement. I have solved the cement problem but it only works because my area of control has a cave with scorps and spiders.
- Increase the metal drop number from metal rocks. This is the most sense able as it will make gathering in an area manageable and bringing a supply dino along to carry your poo poo brings home the gathering aspect.

I have been using my Ankylosaur for a dual purpose miner and logistics. Its also pretty lame that you can break the metal pick so drat easily making it more efficient to dino mine so you dont have to spend a percent of your cut to rebuild the picks. The Ankylosaur is pretty slow but it handles every loving thing that comes its way. I killed a player pack of raptors that attacked me with just the two of us.

This is one too many effortposts on my part so I am probably gonna try to stop spurging after this one.

One question I have though is how the gently caress does anyone get the 10 oil required for the fabricator when the loving nodes drop about 2 oil each and they are loving super dangerous to reach. I can guess that everyone is running their poo poo off of supply drops right now because gently caress brawling sharks. You can clear them well enough on the coast but out in the open water you are just hosed.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

nightwisher posted:

I solved this problem by speccing to 240 oxygen, looking up the location of the nearest underwater cave to our location (the one at ~90,72) and swimming down there with a thatch foundation and bed. Actually finding the cave entrance was a complete bitch though because the massive rock segments underwater only pop in once you're within ~50 metres of them and the cave entrances are made up of such segments. I set up a bed down there and now I'm ferrying supplies down to it to lock it off to anyone else and get a small base operational. There's oil and pearls in the cave itself, and quite a few nodes and pearls surrounding the mouth of the cave that are safely harvestable. I give no shits about megalodons because I outswim them easily with the boosted swim speed from increasing oxygen.

Even then though, it's still only ~30 oil and ~150 pearls per harvesting run, and I don't think the resource nodes respawn too often.

Yeah I noticed the swim speed increase with my 200 oxygen. I wonder if there is any unlisted stat bonuses on that list. It would be loving awesome if they made it so the crafting points reduced crafting costs. I would become a full blown builder in a heartbeat. The players on my server can't even handle my single Ankylosaur. The only other dino I have tamed is a male dodo that lives in my cooking pot and shits eggs when you pull on it's dick.

My main base in the server I am playing on is in the dead center of the map so I am totally hosed for oil and pearls. The two close to shore underwater caves have camps right on the shore so players got the same idea you did. I can't even dive without taking fire from them. On another note how do they expect people to knock out a Megalodon without beaching the stupid thing all glitchy and then somehow not have the other sharks eat the loving thing while it is unconscious. I can only imagine how loving long it would take to tame a fuckoff shark.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Taming reference guide:

All my tamed scorpions eat and were tamed with spoiled meat. My anklyosaurus took about an hour an a half to tame and my mammoth took two hour flat for a level 5 one.

This guide is off and the level of the dino is more a major part more than what the dino actually is.

BULBASAUR posted:

Can we build our next base inside the volcano?

If you don't think they are gonna make that volcano erupt in the near future in some flash patch then you are a crazy person. They already have the lava in some of the caves. This dev team is batshit insane in speed. This game took them six months to put togeather and they got a lead dev that openly told unreal techs that they rewrote parts of their engine visual tech to be ready for the next direct x that he was on the team for at microsoft AND the hololense team.

I saw that super great spot on top of the volcano change slightly twice now with obsidian spawns and rock locations. I swear they are doing something with that area so I am not building a main base up there.

Edit: Here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=505fJowe6Tw
Skip forward a bit till they start the interview.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 15, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

These developers have been goddamn amazing so far. If they keep this up... I'm really impressed.

SIX MONTHS

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

lilspooky posted:

Underwater caves are supposed to have air filled chambers from what I've read. Haven't had a chance to find one.

Also the devs mentioned there is a "hidden valley" somewhere on the map. Some of us think it's some kind of subterranean "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of thing.

Here is the one I farm in. The ones I have been in are normally not that big. This is the entire cave. Right behind me is the water pool I came up from.

The dive down to most underwater caves without the food is about 260+ oxygen as well as diving down halfway a few times to kite the sharks up to the beach where you can fight and clear some of them out. Without the food you are going to be doing a one way dive so you best have your poo poo straight about where abouts the underwater cave is at and how much health for overtime you got. Keep an eye out for the bubbles and you should make it.

Also I wonder if this counts for the hidden lake. I totally found this air pocket under a lake but it would be super lame to build under there and totally unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Just started playing this and I have two questions:

Can you build a base in the crater of that Volcano?

Why have I not seen pictures of people riding sharks?

1. Yes, you can but it won't last more than a day. The volcano is a landmark like the caves and it draws attention due to obsidion spawns and rich metal node spawns. So yeah go build there but every one is gonna know you are there and pissed you are loving up the node spawns.

2. Because if in the highly unlikely chance you manage to knock out a shark you have to fend off all other sharks from eating it and tame it for roughly an hour+. On top of that the saddle is very high level and a lot of points around the time people are really careful on what they spend points on. To make matter even worse you have to find a way to keep your shark safe in the water that is infested with fucktons of sharks that have a huge aggro radius. Basically no one does it because its only gonna last 10 mins.