Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So now that it's a day later after release and some patches have apparently been applied......is the game still running like crap? I have a 970 for referral purposes.

Best to wait some time to see how things pan out I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

afkmacro posted:

Is this like h1z1 where goons hype something to death and stop playing after one week? cause I like sandbox pvp douchebaggery as much as the next guy but I feel like these come and go so fast these days.

Ya this is what has me concerned. Given all the complaining about frame rates and how poorly optimized it is I think it might be best to wait a bit before jumping in. That being said it's really drat tempting. I've got one buddy playing it right now and he seems to be having a good time. Hilariously enough I had sent him the trailer a couple weeks back when it came out and his words were "that's the dumbest loving thing I've seen in a long time"......and now he bought it before the rest of our gaming group. :haw:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

nightwisher posted:

It does make you wonder what hardware they had it running on.

Or more likely it was a canned sequence that wasn't recorded in realtime to eliminate any possible jerkiness.

I just watched it again. Was trying to pickup anything "janky". The only major thing I noticed is that during the part where a guy is riding a brontosaurus if you look at him closely in the saddle he's kinda jerking around / stuttering.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Buddy and I made some clothes and spears. Spent an hour hunting other people. Killed them. Carved them up and cooked their meat. Seaside cannibals.

GOTY

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
SPOILER ALERT WOOP WOOP SPOILER ALERT!

So here is a link to a pic detailing apparently all the engrams currently in the game. Don't click it if you want to stay an ignorant savage!

https://imgur.com/CqeWrKI

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So is it a bug, am I doing something wrong? Whenever I go swimming I notice that your stamina will not regenerate. I didn't notice this last night before this latest patch but maybe I just didn't go swimming that much. Also is it pretty buggy for anyone else when it comes to trying to keep your head above the surface to get O2 back?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ok good to know. So uh...how are you supposed to ever explore the ocean if you can't swim that far?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
As someone who is clueless on a lot of graphical settings are there any basic recommendations of things to do in the video options to improve things?

I take it turn down the sky detail. What exactly is Dynamic Tessellation? I looked it up and it's essentially smoothing out the polygons or something? How much of a hit does that give you?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Reason posted:

I am really, really impressed by how often they are making GBS threads out updates at least. Thats how EA stuff should be.

As am I. It's apparently due to the fact that this game actually has a "real" development team behind it that is apparently somewhere between 40-50 people. It was mentioned earlier in the thread. That being said I got curious and my Google-Fu isn't strong enough to confirm this. Can't find any listing of Studio Wildcard's size. Maybe it's listed in a credits section of the game I missed? Anyone got any more info on this?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Jackard posted:

Well it's about time for me to upgrade my graphics card anyhow. What are people generally using for this and Witcher 3? I'm not looking for anything top of the line

Get a GTX 970.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Couldn't tell you for sure. I jumped from a 660ti to a 970 about 2 weeks ago and I'm quite happy with it. Just in time for Witcher 3. I'm sure the 960 will still be fine.

Edit: As Rexicon says you might wait too. Of course it's always the usual "wait for better or buy now" game like he mentions.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
How do you obtain metal and how do you obtain crystal? Can't make the spyglass because it needs crystal.

Also I haven't been to caves yet but it seems pretty common for people to wall the entrances off and "own" them. How badly will this affect the game in the long term? Are there vital resources inside that will pretty much cause you to plateau if you can't access them? I'm just thinking that long term wise if that's how it is there will usually be some clans on servers that control those areas and nobody will be able to remove them because of that and so everyone else will get pissed and eventually quit.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

sushibandit posted:

The base on the other side of metal mountain is not a problem - or a base - anymore. Goons roll poo poo when they get off their asses.

Second paragraph answered your crystal question. For metal you need a metal pick and to hit rocks high up on mountains. As far as "control" goes, explosives exist in the game, and if a clan is completely dedicated to locking down a cave with multiple rows of metal walls/doors then they aren't going to have poo poo for power projection anywhere else. If we lock down both exits of the valley such a cave is located in, that spells doom for the clan in question. TL;DR not a huge problem because there are many caves and it's hard to lock one down longterm.

The caves contain some of the artifacts required to summon the "final boss" monsters.

Thanks for the info. This of course opens up more questions.

On the metal thing, I take it a metal pick require metal to make? So is it a catch-22 or can you obtain it other ways? Also the rocks in the mountains, do they look different or is it like other rocks?

How do you explore underwater caves? Turtle or meg? Do you guys up your oxygen levels?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya I hope this game does a good job of balancing out higher level resources. Reign of Kings kinda bombed on this by having all the stone and iron be located in the northern part of the island and at the exact same spots making it rather boring plus overly concentrating people there. It's always more fun when people are able to spread out and build in various niches.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know all the fun gimmicks of the different dinos?

Triceratops - living lawn mower for berries

Pteranodon - flight and ability to carry people

Ankylosaur - apparently uses its tail for mining?

Stegosaurus - apparently shields you from attack with its plates?

Others?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Reddit nerd does some investigation into taming effectiveness.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/396twu/dino_science_does_starving_a_dino_make_it_tame/

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone got a link to a good crafting guide? Like what all you need to make item x?

The wiki seems pretty behind. :(

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Archonex posted:

This is a pretty terrible idea. Booting everyone from the tribe won't do anything but make a logistics nightmare and make some goons assume the guild dissolved. Which will chase people off.

Not that I'm playing with you guys but now you can rename your clan so you can be more "incognito" :ninja:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Apparently you can still up the gamma with GPU setting or whatever the gently caress that means? I heard people mentioning it on my server. :(

What was in this recent hotfix? Something off with melee?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hearing reports that the latest patch hosed up item durability and everything breaks super quick now. Anyone know?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

sushibandit posted:

Btw, thanks to the goon who helped me set up music playback through ingame proximity chat. Gonna abuse the gently caress out of that to cause pubbie rage.

How do you do this?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
They said that in the coming weeks once things have improved they plan to have servers be 100 pop count.

Question

As far as wooden walls go, what all can damage them? I know some dino's like the Trike can, metal hatchet/pick can. Can all animals knock them down? Had a guy on a scorpion near my base and I was worried.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
That's good to know, thanks!

Here is more Reddit spergery about torpor, scorps, and harvesting.

http://imgur.com/a/isYiU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Here is a twitch vid of some dude interviewing one of the devs and he answers a lot of questions and explains quite a bit. I haven't watched all of it (it's 4 hours long but I dunno if he interviews him the whole time, I'd be amazed if that was the case). He's currently touching on torpor and taming.

http://www.twitch.tv/tangentgaming/v/6048922

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya, they're going to have to do some major revisiting of material costs as well as durability of various items. Even wood is a major time consuming hassle. Also with the current state of grenades there is no point to trying to build a metal base.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya the game is gonna be a nightmare for awhile until they correct this grenade stupidity. My friends and I are focusing on acquiring some grenades by collecting metal and paste and building them in a lovely shack like some kind of virtual Unabomber. Gonna take our angst out on the man!

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Prophecy120 posted:

Did anyone learn the metal spiked wall engram and not be able to build it? Its not in either my personal or smithy table crafting list.

Ya my buddy researched it. Pretty good it seems. Large, does fairly decent damage. Not sure but it may damage walls if you place it too close so be careful.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

But I'd like them to go further and remove all the weapon engrams above pistol and make them a one-use or more blueprint.......Make the T-Rex saddle only obtainable from cave supply chests and we're golden.

Hahahaha...........no.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Underwater caves are supposed to have air filled chambers from what I've read. Haven't had a chance to find one.

Also the devs mentioned there is a "hidden valley" somewhere on the map. Some of us think it's some kind of subterranean "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of thing.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

This is a team from EA, with about 40 technical staff. Is that right?

Compared to even a veteran like Garry from Rust.. isn't this a far more professional venture?

Bingo. It's the main reason they're actually accomplishing stuff unlike every other survival game out there.

Gary is an rear end in a top hat as well.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Ooh EA is the devil! Indie development yeah! Early Access and tiny teams of amateurs ALWAYS does a better job than those loving suits

Or people that actually work corporate IT in senior positions getting paid real money know open source means lovely.

Uh...was there a point you were trying to make?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I'm enjoying the delicious tears of all the scrubs that are upset over their giant turkeys getting nerfed into something more reasonable. That being said I think the devs didn't exactly do the right thing.

Pteranodon
Should be fast, maneuverable, with decent attack damage to players and animals(can't harm anything above thatch) . Moderated by a smaller stamina pool than the bird means that you won't be easily pecking everything to death,
Stamina should probably be upped a tiny bit to allow a teensy bit longer flight before you have to land.
Remove ability to pickup players or animals (doesn't make sense from an anatomical perspective)
Should essentially be a "fighter jet".

Argentavis
Slower, less maneuverable, but with a larger health pool and greatly larger stamina pool than pteranodon allowing it to fly for longer distances. Larger carry weight.
Tone down attack damage against ground targets (it was basically a large vulture and likely wasn't an active predator)
Give it the ability to carry players and animals since this makes anatomic sense and would give it a niche both for combat and transport.
Overall it should be used as a flying packmule, troop transport, or to make lucky grabs on some enemy before sending him crashing to the ground.

Neither one should be a flying siege engine (but apparently the devs are removing the ability for Argy to damage wood in the near future)

Boom fixed. Beer me.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Can somebody tell me the best place to find a sabertooth? I'm thinking of trying to find one to tame it and have a means of efficiently carving up animals for meat / chitin / keratin.

ColHannibal posted:

How viable are tree houses and water bases? I was playing around with some thatch stuff and the whole tower explodes when you knock out the foundation.

Ya, you gotta be careful since knocking out supporting structures will cause the stuff above to come crashing down. You can build a pillar with a ceiling on top of it but if the pillar goes then everything else goes too. You can kinda mitigate this by building walls down from the ceiling that hide the pillar and force somebody to expend more damage to cut their way in to bring things down.

Water bases are not currently viable due to them being well....flooded. That being said they plan to add undersea structures sometime in the development cycle. So you'll be able to have an undersea base. Hopefully it won't have some ridiculous expensive requirements to keep it viable or something.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Nothing in those taming tables or taming calculators is in any way shape or form accurate to in game.

Edit: On the subject of balancing, I have a feeling a coming problem will eventually be the way you can up your stats. In a PVP server you're pretty much sset by dumping the vast majority of your points into HP and sprinkling the rest around. This is gonna eventually lead to a pretty dumb degree of overly difficult people to kill somewhere down the road.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know which caves are best for farming chitin?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
You keep your character, engrams, levels, and tribe. No items at all. Map wiped clean.

Excellent.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Roughly how many C4 charges does it take to destroy a metal foundation or wall?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Why? It's not like killing anything in this game is a challenge.

They need to rethink their tame times. People spending 6-10 hours to tame a worthless lizard is more moronic than raiding in MMO's.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Sup scrubs. Here's how you play like the big boys and pwn newbs like yourselves. :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99NKKZI7MI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Naw, it was pretty obvious it had to be some kind of spore / nettle firing plant.