Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

A month ago, the crew of the Agaue left Rubirge to set sail for the Alcazar Real with a hold full of untold fortunes worth of the finest pottery, wines, olives, and perfumes. This morning, in the middle of the Morze, the first mate found the captain of the ship dead on the floor of his cabin.

Someone had murdered Captain Quandary, a well respected gentleman, in cold blood in an attempt to seize the treasures on the ship. Making matters even worse, during the night the ship had been crippled - sails were slashed, oars were thrown overboard, rescue boats were broken. The Agaue wasn’t moving, not anytime soon at least. Clearly this wasn’t the act of one sailor, but rather perpetrated by a band of brigands who had snuck aboard in an attempt to make their fortune through theft. Immediately after the crime was noticed, the brave members of the crew rushed to defend themselves, taking up arms and looking for the men who had killed their brave captain, but the mutineers were nowhere to be found. The crew quickly realized the criminals must be amongst them, members of their own trusty crew that had gone rogue when tempted by riches.

Minutes later, a shout was heard from the dearly departed Captain's chamber. Someone had found a note that was carelessly left during the murder:

code:
Kill the Captain and cripple the ship. We’ll be there to pick you and the treasure up at the full moon.
The crew realized they didn’t have a choice. They either had to secure the ship from these mutineers in time, or die by the hands of the pirates that were already on the way. There wasn’t much time to waste, it was time to start hunting for mutineers.

In this mafia game, the spiritual successor to Buane’s beloved Brainslugs series, there is a time limit - the pirates are coming. With that in mind, your crew must take action immediately and as such every single day there will be a lynch. Not game day, but real life day. In this game, at 11pm EST, every single day, the player with the most votes will be lynched. In the event of a tie at the deadline, the player with the most recent vote will be lynched. Because of the close proximity of the ship as well, there is on privacy and no-one can do much of anything during the night without being caught. Even the mutineers are forced to sleep side by side with the sailors, and if they attempted anymore murders would be immediately caught. This game will be nightless, and immediately after each lynch the next day will begin.

In addition, while, because the game is nightless, there are no power roles, there is one exception: in the scramble immediately after the murder, some of the crew raided the armory and grabbed the five knives that were stored there. Each of these players will receive a one shot day-vig, so may kill a player at any point during the day by typing ##Stab Name or ##Kill Name. If someone is killed, the crew will have had their fill of blood for the day - the next lynch will be pushed out 24 hours until 11 pm EST the next day.

The sailors won't be guaranteed safety until all mutineers are dead and they can take the ship to safer waters without fear. The mutineers, however, win by taking control over the ship and outnumbering the sailors, securing it for when the pirates arrive to rescue them.

Typical mafia rules apply - I don’t want to type them out, if you haven’t played or don’t know the rules ask or look at literally any game.

Two rule highlights, however:
-Because of the nature of this game, lurking will be extremely frowned upon. Do not join if you expect to not be able to contribute daily until the game ends. I expect each player to post at least once daily, though if you miss a few it is obviously ok.
-Fake using a day kill will result in a modkill.

Let me know if I have any questions or missed anything! Post below to sign up, and leave an email if you don’t have PM’s!

1. CCKeane
  2. chaoslord 100YrsofAttitude, sailor, lynched Day 4
  3. dscruffy1, sailot, was lynched Day 6
  4. EccoRaven, mutineer, killed Day 1 by Pinterest Mom
  5. Gridlocked
  6. GulagDolls
  7. Look Under The Rock
  8. MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, sailor, was lynched Day 7
  9. merk, sailor, killed Day 2 by Met
  10. Met, sailor, lynched Day 3.
  11. Mills Ixtlilton
  12. Opopanax
  13. Pinterest Mom
  14. QuoProQuid
  15. Shanakin
  16. Somberbrero, sailor, was lynched Day 5
  17. The Ninth Layer
  18. Tremendous Taste, sailor, was lynched Day 8

Quandary fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I will sign up if you agree to retroactively make this take place in the Arrentia universe rather than our own.

Deal.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Recruit friends to the game (if you hsve them)! This game will be the game of the century, if we can't fill it up by Sunday I'll rework it to be a bit smaller, but I know we can fill it!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

I'm gonna take this as a yes.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
5 more! Call all your weird internet friends!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Be civil children.

I'm getting bored of waiting, so we will be starting this tonight, regardless of number as convienrly this setup is easily adaptable to different player numbers. With that in mind, if anyone wants to sign up they have like 6 hours and be ready for a Monday night 1st deadline!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah, all of you stop acting like children and be civil enough to read each others drat posts. Everyone take everyone off ignore for at least the course of this game, after that you can do whatever you drat well please.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Role PM's going out. Feel free to post for confirmation, though I'm not gonna look at them so realistically just pm me if you don't get a role PM in the next few hours.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This was a nightmare. In the span of a day, a peaceful journey had turned into a fight for survival. Someone had murdered the captain, and in only a few weeks pirates would arrive to murder everyone else. The only chance the crew has is to hunt out the mutineers in their mix. All the crew gathered in the center of the ship, eyeing each other warily, ready for the arguments and attacks to begin.

Day 1 begins and will end at 11PM EST Monday, June 1st. At that point the player with the most votes will be lynched and Day 2 will immediately begin. In the event of a tie, the player with the most recent vote will be lynched. There are currently 18 player alive.

A couple of notes before we begin: remember that in a game like this, posting is even more important than normal. I expect everyone to do their best to post daily, though obviously exceptions will happen because of life. I will be keeping a close eye on lurkers though and will be happy to prod or replace if necessary, though I’d prefer not to.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I shouldnt even have to say this but Jesus Christ eveveryone just unignore everyone, be mature please.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Unless nobody votes for anyone for a whole day, a no lynch is impossible :ssh:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
PSA: I messed up and Mills is not actually interested in playing, so I'm currently looking for a replacement. Hence why he hasn't posted. If you know a replacement let me know!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm at work I cant post fun flavor but

eccoraven, mutineer, has been stabbed day 1. The deadline is reset one day and will now be tomorrow.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Just reset votes if you voted since eccos murder you have to revote sorry, or in TNLs case you're in luck you get to vote again. Also ignore that vote finder says Ecco is alive, he's dead but votefinder doesn't really like mobile usage.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Stop loving stabbing people d1 while im at work.

merk, townie, has been stabbed day 2. deadline will be Wednesday at 11 pm est

Quandary fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 6, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
It didn't take long for things to get interesting; in truth, most of the crew were doing little more than nervously eyeing those around them or throwing petty insults at the people they didn't like, when a crowd broke out at one end of the ship. A few of the crew had begun to throw accusations at EccoRaven, insisting he was one of the mutineers and that he was working with the pirates. Even his attackers were surprised, however, when Pinterest Mom casually strolled to the front of the crowd, removed a dagger he had concealed in his vest, and stabbed EccoRaven through the heart.

A dagger in the heart is generally fatal, and it certainly was for EccoRaven. He grimaced, let out a single whimper, and then he slumped over dead. The town was immediately horrified at the attack, until one of them searched the pockets of EccoRaven's pants. He had two solid gold coins - none of the sailors had ever had, or even seen, near that much money, or they wouldn't be on this crew. It was clear that the pirates must have paid EccoRaven, and he was one of the enemies. Voicing their pleasure at the immediate success, the crew pushed EccoRaven over the side to the sharks.

EccoRaven, Mutineer, was murdered Day 1

Before the town could ever stop to think, they heard another scream from the other side of the ship. Looking over, they could see Met standing over Merk. A closer look showed a dagger through Merk's chest, with Met the clear giftgiver. The town, emboldened by the murder of EccoRaven, quickly searched Merk, but found nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing he carried was an adorable photo of his baby girl, now fatherless and likely to be destitute. What a sad day.

Merk, Sailor, was murdered Day 2

With two people already murdered, the crew was subdued and a litle terrified at the ability they had seen amongst themselves for killing. It would be a few days before anyone had the stomach to chose a victim from amonsgt themselves.

The deadline for Day 3 has been moved to Wednesday, June 3rd, at 11PM EST

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Also, from this point out if stuff happens during the day Merk will be posting flips, because as I learned today it is very difficult to post flips on an oil rig. Apologies for that!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
1000YearsOfAttitude has replaced ChaosLord
Ixtlilton has replaced Mills

4 hours until deadline!

Quandary fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 4, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
:mod:

In which I learn MCS is actually The Betrayer, learn something new every day.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Quandary, I have a dumb question: Does the game "day" end prematurely if the town reaches a majority on someone before the timer runs out or do we literally just have to wait until 11:00 PM every day? I assume the former, but want to confirm.

I hadn't really thought of that happening because I know how good mafia players are at getting a majority, but sure if a majority votes someone we can lynch them then and just have the next day deadline at the same time.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 3 Final Vote Count

Met (7): Gridlocked, GulagDolls, Tremendous Taste, Opopanax, -GulagDolls, The Ninth Layer, CCKeane, 100YrsofAttitude, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, GulagDolls, -MEDS CURE SCHIZOS
MEDS CURE SCHIZOS (4): QuoProQuid, GulagDolls, Somberbrero, Pinterest Mom, Look Under The Rock, -GulagDolls
Look Under The Rock (2): Met, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS
dscruffy1 (1): Ixtlilton
QuoProQuid (1): The Ninth Layer, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, GulagDolls, -GulagDolls, -The Ninth Layer, dscruffy1, -MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, -MEDS CURE SCHIZOS
Gridlocked (0): Met, -Met

Inevitable, human nature kicks back in and people start feeling downright murderous. After what seemed like an eternity since merk and EccoRaven were killed, the town had made a consensus. Met had stabbed one of them just because of a disagreement, why would he do that so indiscriminately if he was innocent? Besides, the only people he seemed to think were mutineers were the people who had called him out. It appeared only logical that Met was a mutineer, so, with that in mind, the crew forced him to walk the plank.

Unfortunately, the crew was wrong, as hiveminds so often are. Met claimed innocence until his last moments. and a search of his things revealed nothing incriminating. On the upside, unlike merk, he didn't seem to have a family, so you can at least rest a little easier.

Met, sailor, was lynched Day 3.

15 members of the crew are currently alive. Day 2 beings now, and will end tomorrow at 11 PM EST.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

Quandary can we get replacements added to the OP?

Done. Apologies for taking a bit.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Anyone who hasn't been active today is a chode

Seconded

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Quandary what happens when there's a four way tie for vote leader?

Player with the most recent vote gets lynched

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 2 Final Vote Count

100YrsofAttitude (4): Pinterest Mom, Somberbrero, QuoProQuid, GulagDolls
QuoProQuid (3): 100YrsofAttitude, dscruffy1, Look Under The Rock
Look Under The Rock (1): QuoProQuid, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, -QuoProQuid
Shanakin (1): [sub]Look Under The Rock, CCKeane, -Look Under The Rock[/s]

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yesterday Met, today 100Yrs. A little tar, a little feathering, a little pushing off the boat and 100Yrs was no longer a member of the crew. The crew hoped they'd made the right decision, but a search revealed nothing suspicious. One thing did stand out, however: 100Yrs was one of the lucky ones who was able to grab a knife in the chaos after the murder of the captain, and he died before he had a chance to use it. As the one who sealed 100Yrs fate, GulagDolls was closest to the knife and snatched it up. It remains to be seen how he uses it.

100YrsofAttitude, sailor, was lynched Day 4
GulagDolls has recieved a knife

14 people are alive. Day 5 will end tomorrow, 6/5/15, at 11 PM EST.

Mod prods will be going out to those who have not been posting satisfactorily.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 6, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 5 Final Vote Count

Somberbrero (4): The Ninth Layer, Look Under The Rock, GulagDolls, QuoProQuid
Ixtlilton (1): Opopanax
Look Under The Rock (1): Pinterest Mom
MEDS CURE SCHIZOS (1): Gridlocked
GulagDolls (1): Tremendous Taste, dscruffy1, -Tremendous Taste
dscruffy1 (1): Ixtlilton
The Ninth Layer (1): Shanakin
Pinterest Mom (0): Ixtlilton, -Ixtlilton

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
"It has to be somberbrero! Everything he's done has been shady! Lets kill him today before he can do any more damage or mislead us anymore!"

This was the general consensus of the crew, or at least the crew that wasn't sleeping in the back, blissfully dozing through the chaos on board. This time, the crew got creative: hanging somber from the top of the sails would certainly be a sign that they wouldn't accept any more of this terror from the pirates! Unfortunately, a closer search showed that Somber's loyalty to the ship and the Captain were not in question. In his pocket was a very strange, yet beautifully written, love letter written to Captain Quandary.

The crew, moderately embarassed, removed somber's body from the sails. Somewhere, the mutineers snickered a little bit at this failed attempt at intimidation.

Somberbrero, sailor, was lynched day 5.

13 members of the crew are alive. Day 6 will end tomorrow, 6/6/2015, at 9 PM.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
If you do not have at least 7 combined posts between the past day and this current day by the end of it, expect a grumpy message from me.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Sorry guys no flavor today because I'm 400 miles into a road trip, and have 100 more to go.

dscruffy1, sailor was been lynched

12 alive, deadline same time tomorrow.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Ixtlilton posted:

Can we get the votecount from yesterday?

Sorry about that! This should be it:

Day 6 Final Votecount

dscruffy1 (6): Ixtlilton, GulagDolls, CCKeane, Look Under The Rock, QuoProQuid, Gridlocked
QuoProQuid (2): The Ninth Layer, Opopanax
GulagDolls (1): dscruffy1
Look Under The Rock (1): MEDS CURE SCHIZOS
The Ninth Layer (1): Shanakin

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 7 Final Votecount:

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS (7): The Ninth Layer, Tremendous Taste, CCKeane, Look Under The Rock, GulagDolls, Gridlocked, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS

For the first time, the crew had come to a unanimous consensus. MCS had to be a mutineer, he hadn't done much to help and had mostly just complained. Everyone agreed - MCS had to go. By the end of it, even MCS agreed with them, walking himself off the plank straight into the waiting arms of the circling sharks. A mutineer wouldn't have done himself in like that, would he? It turns out, he wouldn't. MCS wasn't a murderer and the crew had chosen another one of their own.

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, town sailor, was lynched Day 7.

11 players are alive. The Deadline for Day 8 is tomorrow at 11 PM EST

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 8 Final Vote Count:

Tremendous Taste (6): Pinterest Mom, GulagDolls, CCKeane, QuoProQuid, Gridlocked, Shanakin
QuoProQuid (2): Look Under The Rock, Opopanax
Pinterest Mom (0): QuoProQuid, -QuoProQuid

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Instead of trying to figure out the mutineers were, today the crew decided to take things easy. Tremendous Taste had been napping in the corner of the boat essentially since the murder had happened, with only a few random stirs throughout the whole process. Since analyzing what people said hadn't been working perhaps it was time to kill someone who simply wasn't being helpful.

Honestly, it wasn't even clear if TT noticed as the crew pushed him over the edge. Hopefully he was having a pleasant dream at least, as it was sure to be his last. It definitely wasn't a dream of murder though - despite his apathy, TT would never have hurt a fly. He was a simple man who wanted to be a trader, not a mutineer.

Tremendous Taste, sailor, was lynched Day 8

10 players are alive. Day 9 will end tomorrow at 11 PM EST.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Thank you to merk for flipping!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Ixtilton, QuoProQuid, and Shanakin, simple sailors all, have been endgamed
Look Under the Rock, Gridlocked, Opoponax, and CCKeane, mutineers, have outnumbered the remaining sailors and have won the game for the mutineers!

Quandary fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 10, 2015

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
On the morning of the last day of their lives, the crew had no idea what was coming. While they hadn't had much luck in finding the mutineers, surely they had more time, right? They weren't even close to prepared for the chaos that was about to ensue. After a typical morning of bickering and attacking each other, it began. It started when good hearted The Ninth Layer stabbed GulagDolls, in an attempt to both kill a mutineer as well as get control of the knife that the crew had seen Gulag recover from 100Yrs's corpse. TNL managed to get the knife, but his primary goal was unfortunately a failure - in Gulags dying breaths, he professed undying loyalty to the ship and its crew. Unable to handle the fact he had just committed an unnecessary murder in cold blood, and with the whole crew staring, TNL fell to his knees, defenseless and distraught.

GulagDolls, sailor, was murdered by TNL

Then things got even more interesting. Look Under The Rock took advantage of The Ninth Layers moment of shock to use her own dagger, which she had been hiding since the beginning. Deep in sorrow, TNL never even saw her coming until after he lay dead next to the man he had just murdered. Karma is fitting. There was no question in anyone's mind after seeing TNL's reaction to murder that he was one of the good guys, but why would LUTR murder him? What motivation could she have to murder someone so clearly distraught over his own wrongdoing?[/i]

TNL, sailor, was murdered by LUTR

Before anyone had time to come to a conclusion on that qquestion, LUTR acted quick. Grabbing up the knife TNL had just got from Gulag, she turned around and threw it perfectly, landing it directly through the eyes of Pinterest Mom, killing him instantly. When they saw this, the few remaining crew realized what was going on; Look Under the Rock was a mutineer, and was looking to kill as many of the crew as possible.[/i]

Pinterest Mom, sailor, was murdered by LUTR

Unfortunately, by the time they realized it, there wasn't much the crew could do. As they started to move in LUTR's direction, the rest of the mutineers stepped in. Ixtilton, still staring in shock, was immediately pushed overboards by Opopanax, falling to his death. QuoProQuid had a few more moments than Ixtilton and spent them frantically looking around for anything to use as a weapon, until CCKeane bludgeoned him over the head with a large piece of chair, knocking him out instantly. After seeing his two fellow crewmates get killed, Shanakin fell to his knees begging and pleading, but it was no use. The mutineers were not much for mercy, and Gridlocked stepped in to casually slit Shanakins throat.

With no more threats to their plan, the mutineers sat back and waited for their allies. It was still a week before the pirates would arrive - their plan had gone much faster than scheduled and they spent that week as murderers tend to do, mostly gambling and drinking, with some casual hide and seek thrown in. One morning, however, they woke up and saw black sails on the horizon. The mutineers had accomplished their side of the bargain, and would live in both riches and infamy forever more.[/i]

Ixtilton, QuoProQuid, and Shanakin, simple sailors all, have been endgamed
Look Under the Rock, Gridlocked, Opoponax, and CCKeane, mutineers, have outnumbered the remaining sailors and have won the game for the mutineers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
And a few thoughts about this game from my perspective.

Honestly, I'm a bit dissapointed in how it turned out. I think this format has so much room for brilliance, but I don't know most of the game bought in and I think that's partially my fault and partially theirs. On my side, I shouldn't have had a game with vigs when I knew I wouldn't be available much during the day; that's bad modding and I apologize. I also wish I wouldn't have extended the deadine after a knifing. My thought process was that it was to prevent a one minute before deadline knifing that threw everything off, but I think in actuality that would have been preferable to the stall that occurred after the first two kills D1, which I don't know the game ever really recovered from. I think a quicker D1 deadine would have kept people involved far more in the game.

Secondly, I wish the town had been less apathetic. With no disrespect to the scum, who all played a good game, the town never put up a fight. Almost every day, the first name mentioned was the one that was lynched, more often than not a lurker lynched pushed by the scum. Ironically with all the lurker lynches, the scum were mostly all the more involved players in the game. The town died as soon as they stopped thinking for themselves and started blindly following whoever already had 2 votes.

Hopefully, despite those weaknesses, people still had fun with the game. I had a good time modding it at least

Congrats to the scum again!

• Locked thread