Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence is over! What the heck did it do to the DC universe?
Infinite Earths! Infinite possibilities! Multiverses all over the place with all your favorite characters from all your favorite DC eras partying down and having a blast, waiting to be plucked for all new stories, somehow!

quote:

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/27/decoding-convergence-with-jeff-king-the-finale/
Jeff King: Post-Convergence, every character that ever existed, in either Continuity or Canon, is now available to us as storytellers. You may not see them right away, but they are out there. And of course, when you get to the end of Convergence you understand that is more than meta, it is concrete as well.

What does that mean for this week's comics?
Not much yet! Superman still keeps his red undies on the inside...
...of his un-powered, no secret identity, motorcycle ridin' jeans!
While the characters of DC history (apparently) get a new chance to shine (sometime), the modern universe carries on!
Only, it's not your daddy's New 52!! There's a pile of new series, a pile of Nu-Batgirl style new status quos and piles of new creative teams! (No. Not for you Flash fans :()

What new status quos?
Check them out in DC's free eight page original primer comics. Batman's a robocop.
at Comixology https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=dc+sneak+peek&subType=newreleases
or DC's site http://www.dccomics.com/dcyou

Starting JUNE 3rd
Action Comics #41, Batman Beyond #1, Bat-Mite #1, Bizarro #1, Green Arrow #41, Green Lantern #41, Justice League #41, Lobo #7, Midnighter #1, The Omega Men #1

JUNE 10th
Batman #41, Batman/Superman #21, Catwoman #41, Constatine: The Hellblazer #1, Detective Comics #41, Earth 2: Society #1, Gotham Academy #7, Harley Quinn #17, New Suicide Squad #9, Red Hood/Arsenal #1, Section Eight #1, Starfire #1

JUNE 17th
Black Canary #1, Doomed #1, Dr. Fate #1, Harley Quinn and Power Girl #1, Justice League of America #1, Martian Manhunter #1, Prez #1, Robin: Son of Batman #1, Secret Six #3, Sinestro #17, Superman/Wonder Woman #18, Wonder Woman #41

JUNE 24th
Aquaman #41, Batgirl #41, Deathstroke #7, Gotham By Midnight #6, Grayson #9, Green Lantern: The Lost Army #1, Justice League 3001 #1, Superman #41, The Flash #41, Teen Titans #9, We Are Robin #1

JULY 8th
Justice League United #11

JULY 22nd
Cyborg #1

In the interest of a brief OP, June solicits here http://www.newsarama.com/23819-dc-comics-full-june-2015-solicitations.html
and July here http://www.newsarama.com/24231-dc-comics-full-july-2015-solicitations.html

The last DC thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699297

Now enjoy a delicious Peanut Butter Twix™ Peanut Butter Twix™ Peanut Butter Twix™ Peanut Butter Twix™ Peanut Butter Twix™ Peanut Butter Twix™

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm so excited for the new launches. Here's hoping I didn't gently caress the order!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Please remember that DC is good now.

Please do not bully DC. Thank you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the Sneak Peeks, I'm definitely most looking forward to the new Justice League United, Midnighter and We Are Robin.
Otherwise, I'm just casting all of my hopes on Dr. Fate being at least decent.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2015

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Batman Beyond is going to throw Clayface in a kiln and bake him at a cool 1200°F. :cool:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If JLU really goes whole hog with this idea of them pulling in heroes and villains from all the different multiverses it could be a really amazing comic. I want to see an issue where multiple versions of a single character all meet and have to work together or something.

Also I hope Earth 2 is good almost solely because I want to read about a Dick Grayson Batman again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I read about half of the previews, some of them look quite fun. I'm not familiar with the people who are doing the Cyborg book, but whoever they are, kudos to them kicking the book off by taking their strong black protagonist and immediately branding him a thief who did not actually make/earn his cyborg parts. Which I think are mostly the work of his dad, not him personally, so I guess it's technically two black dudes who are thieves who aren't as smart as we were led to believe, or something. It's a cool way to start the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I want to see an issue where multiple versions of a single character all meet and have to work together or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Semper Fudge posted:

I'm going from reading one book to potentially six, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Still hate Nu Lobo. Seriously does anyone like him or want him around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still hate Nu Lobo. Seriously does anyone like him or want him around.

I like the guy but it IS odd the title continues unchanged. It was the lowest selling N52 title.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm a DC man now. Where do I go to read about the current happenstances of Metamorpho!!??

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I'm a DC man now. Where do I go to read about the current happenstances of Metamorpho!!??

Just this speech bubble

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have really mixed feelings about that concept art... I like it, but I feel like he should still have the proportions of ultra-sexy fortune hunter Rex Mason :shrug:

(I'm gonna buy the Justice League Unlimited comic tho)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Perfect.

Now if we can just post this at the bottom of each page, maybe we'll save this forum yet!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Edge & Christian posted:

I read about half of the previews, some of them look quite fun. I'm not familiar with the people who are doing the Cyborg book, but whoever they are, kudos to them kicking the book off by taking their strong black protagonist and immediately branding him a thief who did not actually make/earn his cyborg parts. Which I think are mostly the work of his dad, not him personally, so I guess it's technically two black dudes who are thieves who aren't as smart as we were led to believe, or something. It's a cool way to start the story.

Sometimes a black man with robot parts is just a black man with robot parts.

Also, the writer is David Walker, a black dude with an extensive knowlegde of African-American cinema and worked with Quentin Tarantino, Aaron McGruder and Reginald Hudlin.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I'm going from reading one book to potentially six, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves here.

Good by the standard of the last 15 years of DC anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bat-Mite #1 preview (This week's comic. Not the Sneak Peek.)
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-bat-mite-1/1100-152446/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 30, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Equeen posted:

Also, the writer is David Walker, a black dude with an extensive knowlegde of African-American cinema and worked with Quentin Tarantino, Aaron McGruder and Reginald Hudlin.

His Shaft comics are excellent in and of themselves.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Equeen posted:

I should have spent a little more time googling around, he's the BadAss Mofo guy. I guess it will at the very least be commentary on the uncomfortable tropes, not the tropes themselves? When did he work with any of those dudes though?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

Please do not bully DC. Thank you.

empty quote

Well, the in-copy ads are pretty bad actually, but the books are seriously improved over the past few years. I have a pull list now. That hasn't happened in some time.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Edge & Christian posted:

I should have spent a little more time googling around, he's the BadAss Mofo guy. I guess it will at the very least be commentary on the uncomfortable tropes, not the tropes themselves? When did he work with any of those dudes though?

Walker was involved in The Boondocks (McGruder), House Party (Hudlin) and Django Unchained (Tarantino).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Equeen posted:

Walker was involved in The Boondocks (McGruder), House Party (Hudlin) and Django Unchained (Tarantino).
Weird, none of those things show up on IMDB. His website he worked on projects WITH those people I guess?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, Medri is such a good artist

Oddly enough, I think his style works better almost monochromatic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnggggggg.

That art if loving HORRIBLE.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnggggggg.

That art is loving HORRIBLE.

Why exactly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anatomy, line work, design, coloring. It's awful.

You have established lovely taste so I'm not shocked you can't see what's wrong with it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Anatomy, line work, design, coloring. It's awful.

You have established lovely taste so I'm not shocked you can't see what's wrong with it.

Design is subjective so is pointless to argue about that but Jason is perfectly well proportionated, the pose doesn't break any physics, line work is clear and detailed.

The coloring is one of the things I like the most actually, it really makes the character shine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hood looks kind of like a FatHead decal and the background is a bad Photoshop filter , plus the line work on his legs gets kind of fuzzy...

But I'd still take that over what they crapped out in Avengers vs X-Men. :cry:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The coloring is as flat and lifeless as the background. And the ridiculous blur effect is for what exactly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So in summation, your have lovely taste in everything DarkTitties. Back on Ignore you go.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

The coloring is as flat and lifeless as the background. And the ridiculous blur effect is for what exactly?

Medri trying stuff, that was one of the samples he did for DC the past year.

This is another one

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It looks p. dece to me.

I like his sweet ninja armblades.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's basic color to show what the costume is meant to look like, presumably.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It's basic color to show what the costume is meant to look like, presumably.

Correct.

Although he's fond of using basic colors on his drawings:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It looks better than the DC house coloring style but that's true of pretty much every drawing. It's a decently stylized picture that wouldn't look out of place in a 90s book, perhaps from Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos. And I say that as somebody who actually liked those two back in the day.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the guns - one is drawn straight from the front and the other is drawn straight from the side. This suggests that the artist has zero confidence in his ability to draw guns with any kind of foreshortening or from any kind of angle. They make the picture look awkwardly posed - Jason is holding his arms at unnatural angles to ensure the guns are facing the viewer at the easiest-to-draw angle. That is some amateur hour DeviantArt poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

It looks better than the DC house coloring style but that's true of pretty much every drawing. It's a decently stylized picture that wouldn't look out of place in a 90s book, perhaps from Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos. And I say that as somebody who actually liked those two back in the day.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the guns - one is drawn straight from the front and the other is drawn straight from the side. This suggests that the artist has zero confidence in his ability to draw guns with any kind of foreshortening or from any kind of angle. They make the picture look awkwardly posed - Jason is holding his arms at unnatural angles to ensure the guns are facing the viewer at the easiest-to-draw angle. That is some amateur hour DeviantArt poo poo.

Posture is certainly odd but isn't as unnatural as you think.

He doesn't seem to have any issue drawing guns from different angles anyways

And checking his gallery, it turns out he designed the character of Lady Spider for Spider-Verse

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Posture is certainly odd but isn't as unnatural as you think.

He doesn't seem to have any issue drawing guns from different angles anyways

And checking his gallery, it turns out he designed the character of Lady Spider for Spider-Verse

Yeah, I saw that picture of Jason jumping off the roof had a gun flying through the air at an extreme angle too. Still having some good perspective in other drawings does not make that one particular drawing any better.

edit: Steampunk is loving garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, I saw that picture of Jason jumping off the roof had a gun flying through the air at an extreme angle too. Still having some good perspective in other drawings does not make that one particular drawing any better.

True.

Probably the fact it was meant to fully showcase the suit was what determinated the odd posture. In any case, I have high hopes for his work on RH/A. He only needs a good colorist and we will be set.

Yeah, I had to accept the stupid undercut :sigh:

quote:

edit: Steampunk is loving garbage

I dunno, Steampunk Venom looks pretty cool

• Locked thread