Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Give me a gun, a dog and a nuclear wasteland and I will buy your DLCs and play for 200 hours. Seeing how this is a Bethesda in-house production, obviously this isn't going to be as good as F:NV. I doubt however that F4 will be worse than F3 story and gameplay wise and I really enjoyed F3. Agreed that graphics are nothing to write home about, but as the cliche saying goes - no one plays Fallout for graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sharkopath posted:

Yah the setting means a lot to me cause I cared more about the exploration more than the story or writing.

I liked finding cool buildings and areas and just exploring them.

Agreed. I think for a lot of people NV was too far into the future setting-wise. I think a lot of players wanted Fallout's setting to be in the early post-apocalyptic days, as opposed to 200 years in the future. Fallout 3's art direction and map design made it feel like the bombs fell recently. Which, obviously, was at odds with the entire Fallout lore.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I don't understand the pissing and moaning about graphics, every Bethesda game looks like a janky turd and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Game is still gonna own bones.

Yeah, this and on the bright side, it'll probably run ok on everyone's 10 year old PCs.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, more people own Fallout: New Vegas than Fallout 3 judging from sales and Steam data, so I think they should at least try and take some cues from it.

Fallout 3 wasn't initially a Steam title. A lot of people bought it retail and via GFWL.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Guys, is this a good game?

It's the best.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Groovelord Neato posted:

No for real why do people preorder games you can download all your games now.

Because they must have the super duper laser guided vibrator vault toy pre-order bonus.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Some of that is probably true, some an educated guess. It doesn't look like F4 is using a brand new engine, and if it is, it seems to be heavily reliant on its immediate predecessor. We'll know when they release gameplay footage. It's crazy to speculate purely on a basis of a reveal trailer.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sout posted:

Also, there's very little evidence that we even get to customise the character: which I guess wouldn't in reality be that big of a deal but would still be lovely.

Character customization is literally the cornerstone of the genre. Let's not go into full meltdown mode, please.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Eonwe posted:

They wont be need to take cues from New Vegas. I think they also need to take cues from The Witcher and really any sort of action oriented RPG put out between New Vegas and now.

they won't tho

I'm sure they have taken cues from Mass Effect's ending.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I do agree that F3 was better for exploration, but I suppose that's down to a lot of us simply preferring burnt out cities to wide open spaces. Story-wise however, it's no contest. NV was morally ambiguous and it gave you an option to be exactly that. In F3 you were either a sinner or a saint. There was no moral gray area. It was too idealistic and too clear cut with its naive narration. A kid's toy, if you will. NV was far more mature and it felt like your actions really did have major consequences, that and it frequently reminded the player that there are, in fact, no-win scenarios. Honest Hearts was a literal masterpiece in that regard. Unless you took the really quick route of finishing that DLC that is.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

I always had the feeling that NV was unclear on what the moral course of action was in much of its quests, including the endgame, which has the biggest moral question mark of all. It did not present the player with a clear "GOOD" vs "BAD" choice like F3 did. I prefer that ambiguity in my games.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Saagonsa posted:

NCR: A republic that's imperialistic but far better than a lot of other options in the post-apocalypse

Legion: Unambiguously evil

House: Protects New Vegas but allows the rest of the wasteland to burn

I'm glad everything was this simple for you.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sharkopath posted:

Positive aspects of the enclave: Laser Guns, it is Important To Obey The Robot President.

Also a good choice if you happen to be a...um...pure human supremacist?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

chitoryu12 posted:

I think at least some of the attempts to justify the Legion came from a belief that every faction was truly morally gray with no clear good answer, and they started from there with trying to justify the Legion's behavior. They didn't understand that yes, they really are the bad guys. Obsidian let you join them, but they're still the bad guys.

We have a history of good people joining horrible causes and becoming corrupted or just opportunistically using them for their own gains. I think Obsidian have done a very good job with the Legion in that regard. Perhaps frighteningly so. If you ever wonder how people could justify certain atrocities and choices in our past - well, look at the way they justify the Legion in NV.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sout posted:

Now I know literally nothing about game design, but I think inherently realistic gun damage would completely break any sort of RPG-style skill-based progression.

I suppose skill could affect your ability to score a hit. So while a .50 to the head should be an instant kill, a low level/skilled character might not be able to score such a hit unless it was at a point blank range. I'm sure it's doable.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Shooting Blanks posted:

Point Lookout is the only FO3 DLC that's really worth it, frankly. Broken Steel has a great set piece though.

Broken Steel finally lets you show the BoS the error of their Capital Wasteland ways.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The entire questline is totally invalidated right at the end, you're supposed to go into a radioactive room and push a button and die. This is patently retarded because there are both a ghoul (actually healed by radiation) and a robot companion but if you bring them they just give some bullshit "nuh uh you do it bithc" answer. The whole thing is so hamfisted and relies heavily on raw coincidence for it's deus ex machina BS. Frankly I've never actually seen anyone write that many words about it and now you've got me doing it and aaaaaaaaaaah

I remember playing it for the first time with Fawkes (the super mutant, immune to radiation) right there with me, and going "what the everliving gently caress", when I found out the game wanted me to commit suicide. I also remember my reaction being along the lines of Eric Cartman's "screw you guys, I'm going home" and rage quitting. I only went back to the main quest when they released Broken Steel, and I ended up nuking BoS out of spite.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I haven't touched the originals since they came out way back when in '97 and '98. I don't think I'll be replaying them any time soon. I don't want to spoil my fond memories of the countless hours I spent on them, and multiplayer Quake II, rather than studying for uni exams.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having voice acting for the playable character was a stupid loving decision for an open world game.

This is my major complaint. I hate having a voice in a, supposedly, blank slate RPG. If they wanted this to be an open world Mass Effect clone, they could have just said so, and ran with it. Having a voice actor makes me feel like playing a character, rather than that character being my avatar. It's just not the same. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable, but it changes my perception of the game.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
One thing I'm curious about, having watched the presentation just now - why go to all the trouble of naming the baby, if your family supposedly gets incinerated, or dies via some other means? Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail for a short opening sequence.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

think about some retarded kotaku "game journalist" crying like a babby over this emotional overload of a scene, AAA+

You think it's just that? Well, I suppose recording over 500 different names to appease a gaming journalist sounds like a reasonable investment.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Theta Zero posted:

Probably a plot twist where they're also alive or something.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I hope I can kill them.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

cthulhoo posted:

find an incinerated babby corpse, press X to pay respect

This certainly brings back cringe-worthy memories.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Bholder posted:

I seriously think that would be loving amazing, and that alone would make voiced protag worth it.

This would make a lot of people irrationally angry. I don't think Bethesda is that adventurous.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
In keeping with Bethesda tradition, their little Fallout iOS game keeps crashing on my iPad.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sout posted:

Anyway, that's fine I guess, I'm sure they'll at least allow you to make him wait somewhere, maybe sometimes I don't want to have a dog.

Considering how badly companion stealth mechanics were implemented previously, this is a must.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Don't lose your poo poo over specs. Developers and publishers have been posting outrageous recommended specs for a while now, which have no bearing on actual in-game performance. I doubt FO4 will be much more demanding than any recent game and most certainly nowhere near Witcher 3, unless it's rubbish and unoptimised - and in that case, no machine is going to run in properly anyway.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Crotch Bat posted:

Will a GTX 960 2GB with an i7 be good enough for this? I don't really care about ULTRA MAX FULL ON 120FPS poo poo, I just want like 50-60fps steady on maybe high.

That trailer, though. Can't wait.

We'll find out soon enough.

Developers and publishers have been inflating minimum and recommended PC specs for years. I can tell you that on my backup machine, an ancient i7 950 with 12GB RAM and a 3-way SLI GTX 670 I get constant 60fps with only occasional drops on nearly max settings in GTA V. That's an almost 7 year old machine that runs almost as well as my current-gen i7.

Unless Bethesda have royally screwed the pooch, I doubt any PC built in the last 5 years will have trouble finding a setting to run this at. Having said that, Bethesda's engines have always been bad, so it might take a few patches to get things there. Or they will flat out refuse to patch their steaming pile of poo poo and pull out the recommended specs as a reason for why it doesn't work for 3/4 of the user base.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
My GMG code has now arrived as well. Looks like everyone will have theirs soon.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

This thread and the trolls are so meta I'm not sure who is actually looking forward to the game and who actually hates it.

We are all looking forward to hating the game.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Slugnoid posted:

finally i'll be able to bone mayor mccready without having to download certain mods.

I wish they'd have chosen Sticky as the companion. Always went out of my way to get him safely to Big Town. Mccready is getting a shotgun to his face the moment I see him.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
The moment it was revealed the player was going to have an offspring, there wasn't much to be spoiled about the storyline tbh. Bethesda is rather predictable in their writing - they never see beyond black and white and with your offspring in the mix, things can only lead to a binary showdown ending. Moral ambiguity is far too time consuming to code.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

ymgve posted:

To be fair, companies are already pretty generous by letting you stream your playing at all. You're broadcasting their property, which technically would be illegal and is only made legal because it's explicitly allowed by game companies.

Of course. This has nothing to do with free publicity. Only corporate benevolence.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
There's literally nothing in the graphics that a first gen i7 paired with a couple of decent keplers or a maxwell couldn't handle. Unless they have completely thrown any optimizations out the window. In which case, it will be poo poo for everyone, including those with the latest and greatest.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

King Vidiot posted:

"Guys I could run Skyrim just fine on Ultra with HD textures and a ton of ENB FX running, at 60 FPS, will I be able to run this game?"

The game is built on the Skyrim engine, it's Skyrim. There may be new Direct X effects or something, I don't know, but if you can run Skyrim on Ultra with fancy effects then you're fine.

Basically this. Don't fall for Bethesda's (or any AAA publisher's for that matter) requirements bullshit. Worst case scenario - wait a day or two for a website like guru3d to do a GPU performance roundup and see where you are on the ladder. Only then upgrade your system.

Edit: I have a 7 year old first generation i7 system with a 3-way SLI GTX 670 config as back up to my main PC that I often run games on to see how it still peforms. It runs nearly maxed out GTA 5 at 60fps without breaking a sweat, only stuttering when there are a lot of new textures to load, obviously due to the GPU's memory limitations. So, in short, take a breath and see what happens.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 8, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

VideoGames posted:

none of those things bothered me. i liked the android railroad a lot, that was neat. it was my first bethesda game so levelled super mutants was not something that got me and i thought the vampire quest was pretty funny. a lot like people in real life who believe themselves to be vampires.

the rest seemed fine, except for the push button thing but when I played it I had broken steel and fawkes as my companion so it wasnt the same.

plus i never played as an evil character.

i think it was the way I played it that allowed me to miss these issues.

You're right, you do have low standards. Read any War and Peace or Crime and Punishment lately?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

VideoGames posted:

not since being at school. though i did enjoy them. its OK gamer, its cool to enjoy a whole width and breadth of things. it doesnt make you a bad person.

Oh there's nothing wrong with enjoying schlock, we all do from time to time, but FO3 had some egregiously bad writing to the point that it's insulting.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Says 15 hours for me, looks like we got shafted and our release has been pushed back to 2am just like NZ did. I guess I'll be doing a VPN after all. Get hosed Bethesda.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sharzak posted:

I thought this released at the same time everywhere? Wouldn't vpns be useless in that case?

No, it's a rolling release, was supposed to release at midnight your local time, but apparently Bethesda decided that in some territories midnight is going to be 2am, because gently caress you, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

This should be a sticky as a reminder to never, ever buy an SLI solution.

• Locked thread