Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So wait, isn't Boston the place with perfect robots that look like people? And all your character's supposed memories are of a past so distant as to keep them safely out of your current life? Sounds like some Blade Runner shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So fallout Oblivion and Fallout 3 were made with the Gamebryo engine, and it's bad at animations and it was already too old when 3 came out, etc etc.. So then Skryim comes out with a new engine, apparently called the Creation Engine, and it looks way better, especially in animations, and all my friends have spent years saying "can't wait for Fallout in the Skyrim engine".

So why does this trailer look like it was made in the Gamebryo engine? I can't be, it just can't be.

Except that This page suggests that yes I'm not crazy and they're going to release a gamebryo engine in 2015. What? Why? What FPS company ever has gone through the trouble of making a new game engine, then go back and release their next game in the previous generations engine? gently caress, gently caress.

I mean, gently caress, I'll play it, and I'll have a good time but...but drat Bethesda, really?

Edit - I mean really I just wanted Bethesda to do the heavy lifting on a Creation Engine fallout so that then the New Vegas guys could make a game from it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 4, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Generic Monk posted:

gamebryo isn't necessarily bad in itself; most of the issues people blame on it can be laid squarely at the door of bethesda's ropey programming, animation work and QA testing. rest assured that if they moved to a new engine it'd likely be worse, and the wait between games would be longer.

Well, that is actually reassuring. Also, It seemed like the animations for the for the mutants coming at your in the super market were way better than the pre war evacuation. I mean, really, it's the pre war scenes that look bad. The shots of the main game world are actually awesome - and the lighting and colors look GREAT.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

I think that's with the DLC? Truth be told I don't think I ever had that, and if I did I disabled it, seemed like a dumb idea to me to mess up the balance of the game from the start.

Even without the DLC you can vacumn up absolutely everything the man owns, which was weird. On the other hand getting little bonus items based on your starting skills was really cool, and the fallout games need more of that.

New Vegas gets a lot of love but I think it's important to remember how much work Bethesda did for them by making Fallout 3 first, so I'm actually eager to see what Bethesda can do now that they're not inventing the wheel on Fallout.

But if V.A.T.S. is in up in this mug I'm binding it to num - and never using it again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I just compared the fallout 3 and Skyrim dev teams:

The Director, Production Director, Animator, and Audio Director are the same people, Todd Howard, Ashely Cheng, Josh Jones, and Mark Lambert respectively.

However, not everything is the same: technical Director of 3, Guy Carver, becomes the Lead Programmer of Skyrim. The lead Writer and Artist change completely, from Emil Pagliarulo and Istvan Pely to Bruce Nesmith and Matthew Carofano.

So, does anyone know who is actually making Fallout 4? I understand these AAA games are made in modules and then fitted together later, so the writing in these games is always all over the place - different quests by different guys, certain guilds/groups of quests have better writing, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmn, looking at more, I can't tell who's doing what. Seems Emil Pagliarulo, the dark brotherhood writer, was the lead writer of both Fallout 3 and Skyrim? Dunno.

Things I'd like to see go in Fallout 4:
  • VATS - What's cool about Stalker? Getting surprised and having to freak out and rock and roll. What happens in Fallout? Turn on VATs, cooly survey every enemy, including the one you didn't realize was behind you, make a plan, then execute the plan. Screw that, screw VATS.
  • Karma - just make a lists of factions and have them track their reputation separately, other games do this, it's not ground breaking.
  • PiP boy light - Fallout 4 seems to have better color and lighting (that shot of the mysterios stranger looking dude walking on the dark street), so just give me a flashlight, don't me me wash green light everywhere to find something.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

khy posted:

I'm trying to think back on the games i've played with the unreal engine. Do any of the UE games handle really long draw distances very well? How many UE games have been set in an open world environment similar to FNV or Skyrim?

In thinking back to the UE games I've played most of them have fairly short draw distances and focus on smaller, but more cluttered maps. It'd be great for indoors but i don't know how great it'd be when outside.

Likewise, I don't recall ever trying to mod any UE games. I'm sure it's doable I'm just wondering, in terms of ease-of-modding how games made with UE4 compare to the Creation Kit.

According to this wikipedia list a lot of games, including the Borderlands Series.

I guess the unreal engine is ok but I always know I'm playing one when I have to deal with lots of low res placeholder textures being used for a few seconds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Generic Monk posted:

That's for making games from scratch though, not modding and tweaking existing ones. Most games won't let you just load their files up in the unreal editor and change poo poo, and most developers aren't willing or able to hand over a good portion of their toolchain to modders.

I can't stress enough how big a deal it is to me that Bethesda prioritizes making their games moddable; I'm extremely forgiving about their finished product because they lay the ground work for something that amateurs can build on in reasonable increments: Look at something like SkyWind (god bless them); when you ask modders to build a game from the ground up it takes time.

Bethesda makes a solid core game that is then polished up by devoted fans, and that's why Fallout 4 may not be a GREAT game at launch, but it's going to be a GOOD game for years and years.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or maybe you'll play the intro as the spouse of the player character and fail to get to the shelter in time. Oh! And maybe you'll die trying to find some way to get your baby into the shelter, like you push him into a soldiers arms over his protests. I mean really, is Modern Warfare gonna do a better job of conveying a nuclear attack than Fallout?

I still hope you're an android and all these pre wars memories are there to keep you motivated and focused, like a Blade Runner replicant.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Harold from Fallout 1, 2 and three.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Who knows; I think the short answer is Bethesda tried too hard to link their game to the old ones. But that's not the worst thing about fallout's setting/premise.

The weirdest thing about Fallout to me is that everything looks like the bombs JUST fell. I mean rubble in the streets, junk on the shelves, it's nuts. It's been centuries! I think it's a case of Fallout 1 and 2 not having any graphical detail to really worry about it, but then 3 and new vegas are just weird. Supermarkets that still look like they've got original goods in them? And in Goodsprings, old motorcycles and cars just hanging about the place for generations and generations?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really it's Skyrim that has me optimistic for this rather than Fallout 3: Skyrim has more towns with more reason to visit them/things that only happen around there, distinct geographical regions, and more nuance in the plot (mostly aside from the main quest). It's been a long, long time since I've played Fallout 3, but like others have said I recall it feeling sparse and bland. I'd like to think that was a product of Bethesda having to bring the Fallout "world" into their 3d action fps style of games and that this time around the game will be more in line with their Elder Scrolls series in terms of density.

Also, the new securitron looks way better, and I'm betting when more screen shots and videos of the game come out our opinion of the visuals will go up, not down.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Because they get in the way mostly. The quest are alright, but FO3 was my first fallout game, and I really enjoyed wandering around by myself trying not to get murdered; these games are way more fun in general if you disable fast travel, and turn gun damage way the gently caress up. Can't do that with companions that run into the line of fire for no reason.

I sorta agree with you: I really like the companions for their personality and stories but they either make small combats meaningless with their infinite ammo and their auto healing or they ruin hard fights by not being up to snuff and creating a fail state (if they die).

NPCs should just be unkillable on all difficulties but fall over and stop helping. I thought I'd like that trait before playing the game but in practice it wasn't harder really, it was just tedious. If I ran into a faction hit squad Boone would die over and over while I'm trying to power through what should be a fun firefight as quickly as possible to stop it.

For the smaller fights, meaning the 1 or 2 monsters you encounter in trickles while exploring, you'd need to tone down the NPCs infinite ammo, because having your "pet" clean up small enemies for you removes a lot of the game's resource management. I wouldn't want to give them MY bullets, but they could have their infinite ammo limited on a per fight basis, or their reload could be a lot longer.

It's not really as simple as I thought, because I do like the characters but they need some thought if the game can be balanced into something like a rewarding survival/exploration FPS RPG.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Leinadi posted:

Just off the top of my head, some "shortcuts" from Goodsprings.
-Obviously going north, which is very dangerous but can be done with a stealth boy or two and decent Stealth skill.
-Black Mountain. Again, very dangerous but doable.
-Through Hidden Valley and Scorpion Gulch (running past the Radscorps isn't too hard), gets you to Helios One area.
-Through some pass fairly close to the Powder Gangers prison, occasionally there is a Blind Deathclaw there which can complicate things a lot but worth checking out.

Obviously you can go the long way round through Niption and all that without doing any quests along the way. Very safe.

Also worth pointing out that the tutorial in Goodsprings steers you straight towards a stealth boy, with another one picked up in the area.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Malpais Legate posted:

Dead Money really hits home for me because I'm allowed to abandon everything I hold dear for a grossly impractical amount of money.

And then I do. I do every loving time and cry because despite the whole theme of the DLC, I am still devising new ways to carry more and more gold out of the Vault.

This is one instance when permadeath for the player would be interesting because I think everybody tries the first time to just waddle all with absolutely every gold bar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, that garage with the power armor on the lift is probably just a mock up for the trailer, but it'd be cool if the player had a home base and they had to find and assemble their own power armor; it'd make a more fun gating mechanic than another round of "convince someone to teach you". Especially if you play a pre war soldier that already knows how they work.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

:spergin: The White Gloves don't eat people anymore; their plotline is that some of them want to go back to doing it.

I thought some were already back to eating people and wanted to get the rest on board?

I liked that article about fallout 3 plot holes and I'm looking forward to reading the rest; I think his points are valid but we shouldn't necesarily read a smug sperginess into his tone. I have good memories of fallout 3 but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing someone (including you guys) speak critically of it's setting and plot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

achillesforever6 posted:

To be fair on Bethesda's part, this was set up with Fallout Tactics

Yeah while Tactics isn't exactly cannon I always got the impression that Bethesda was working off Tactic's idea of a far flung and over extended expedition of Brotherhood of Steel members so far from home they'll probably never see anyone else from the brotherhood ever again, not a series of franchises and outposts stretching unbroken across the country. Though I do recall the "outcast" BoS members making vague threats that there will be hell to pay once they tattle on the actions of the splinter group in the pentagon.

Though it's kinda weird they have access to powered armor and no air planes. I mean, they took an air ship in Tactics and it fell victim to bad weather just like air ships in real life.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You were supposed to use them to craft super stimpaks and gecko armor

The UI was still crap, and it really turned me off on crafting even though I'd thought I was going to love it. As it was I learned how to make bullets, doctors bags, and weapon repair kits and that was far as my interest could take me .

Would it really be THAT hard to make a decent UI that also works with controllers? I can't help but think that the Fallout menu system could have one one global "tab" group that your stick only toggled through while you held a certain bumper. That would eliminate the worst part of the UI, the constant sorting up and down and left and right of the UI. Check your current thirst? 2 inputs up to the global menu, then over once, then down again. Now you want to see your ammo? Up to the main menu, then over, then down again. I might be miss characterizing the UI because I don't have it in front of me, but I'd think it could have been a lot faster even with a controller.

But you know what? Bethesda makes a better console UI than what I saw in Witcher 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

What the buggery is happening in Doom? Why is everyone made of plasticine?

Good idea: making a new doom. Bad idea: Basing it more on 3 than 1. I was excited when I saw less hit scan weapons among the enemies (the enemy "zombie" attacks seemed dodge-able) but those kill animations are going to get real old. Hell, the chainsaw obviously recycled the same animation back to back, and while they were careful to make him only use the chain saw on single enemies, in the real game you're either going to be in kill animation and be invincible, which is dumb, or you'll be stuck in an animation and NOT be invincible, which is worse.

I will pay 20 dollars for it a year after it's out, and play a little.

EDIT - I don't wan to be overly negative - I liked the hell level a lot more.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Fallout 3/NV dialogue by player isn't counted because no voice acting beyond grunts and oofs

New Vegas' core game had 95K lines of spoken dialogue in total.

This page suggest that the Mass Effect games have 20k, 25k, and 40k TOTAL dialog. So 13k just for the Protagonist sounds pretty good, though in a sandbox game more of them are going to be small lines.

Also in terms of DLC, man I'd pay some serious money to have whole new Protagonist dialog packs.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 16, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't NV make the gun shoot where the sights were when aimed? And low skill meant more sight wander?

I'd quite like that for FO4, guns have inherent accuracy and aimability.

Iron sights helped (even if only because they encouraged me to aim) but I sure do recall the service rifle being less than a tack driver. The recticle in that game was never very helpful at showing the effects of recoil, or even making it clear to me that the automatic weapons benefited from controlled bursts vs mag dumps. Really, thinking about it, I think the guns just shot the way they shot, without the fine details we'd see in most modern shooters.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Greenmangaming is giving me a runaround with some Playfire account that I never set up. It just keeps screaming for a Playfire password but I don't have any linked accounts.

Who do I have to gently caress to get a sweet discount?

Just make a new email account? Don't lose the password if you do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, there's a difference in pre and post war hair styles that's more apparent in women than men. Gonna be kinda weird to play the wife and have to pick a Furiosa style buzz cut in my 1950ish bathroom mirror ; post war bandit raids require different styling techniques than the weekly bridge game. I could always have long hair and cut it short in console, but it'd be cool if it was an option in game. If Bethesda follows the trend of previous games there will be a way to cut your hair in-game but it may be hidden/hard to find/gated to later content.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't worry about the game looking like a fallout 3 retread - they'd show their most similar elements in the early trailers rather than blowing their load early.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JackBadass posted:

Or they could, you know, not do a minigame.

I would be fine with a bar that fills up as I hack, hell, hide this option behind a perk, I'd think it's worth a point and people who enjoy the word find get a buff for being smarter or more patient than me.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 12, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have hacking randomly choose an old Atari style game. Centipede is fun and kids need to know. (Dont scale the games by lock difficulty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hakarne posted:

Lots of bugs

I'm sorry to hear that, really. My play through has been so bug free that I would have told anyone who asked me 'Bethesda no longer releases games that are broken on launch. I played for 25 or 30 hours, beat the main quest, and had one single crash, in the final hour. Other than that no major problems at any point - I'm impressed with Bethesda.

• Locked thread