Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DStecks posted:

It would certainly make playing as a kid more interesting.

I think it would just be neat in general to have more "story arc" event chains. The ones already in the game (pilgrimmage, hunting dog, necronomicon, Joan of Arc, satan spawn, etc.) are all great, and it would add a lot of flavour to have more, especially if they branch depending on multiple characters' decisions. So something like two suitors competing for a woman would be a cool event chain; maybe it could trigger if a girl is betrothed but has a different boy as a lover? Do kids even get lovers? If not, hell, the first event in the "suitor" chain could give her one.

Speaking of which, what are the "big" random event chains? I had the Satan spawn, Joan of Arc and Robin Hood ones (in many different playthroughs of course) and I'm wondering if there's more hidden behind a MTTH wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bloodly posted:

Setting the potential start date to 1(Crusader Kings 2/common/defines.txt) is minorly interesting. The Papacy comes into existance in 42AD. Byzantine Empire(as something with a playable character) shows up at something like 200, A few Zoroastrians(The lord of Kartli) are about as far back as 50AD. Pictland has someone about back to 210. Ireland(Specifically, the duchy of Munster) becomes a thing in 369.
Nomads don't exist at all that far back.

Mercs are basically un-hireable; their numbers and upkeep are too huge.

Effectively it's 'shattered world'-everywhere there's no one, it creates random guys.

But can you play as Jesus in 1 AD? Oh dear I would love to conquer the world as Jesus.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

jerman999 posted:

Horse Lords is on sale for $3.74:

http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4704/Crusader-Kings-II-Horse-Lords/

I just purchased this and it activated fine on my Steam account. This website also has some of the other DLCs for sale (I picked up the Republic, finally, too).

Thanks, my CK2 is expansion-complete once again now! I love Paradox games but the nickel-and-diming they do for DLC is kinda terrible, luckily there's often sales like this.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

space kobold posted:

How hard would it be to replace all instances of the pope with a space pope, give him an even more awesome hat, and tweak the various game events / notifications to better reflect his galactic holiness?

I think I have the worst mod ideas.

Make it so you have some events that lead up to this as a lunatic character, and we all win

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oooh I like easy mode. What's a good horde start, and what pitfalls should I be on the lookout for?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

prussian advisor posted:

So if I want to fill out the empty holding slots in my personal capital, what is generally held to be the best option. I always figured it would be with additional castles, since once you're a king or better I figure it's better to have more loyal military on hand than it is having potential extra cash from city vassals.

I like castles too, better troops and you get a sizeable bonus to levies in your capital duchy if I'm not mistaken, cities make a tempting amount of gold though for counties outside your capital.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 16, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Groogy posted:

we have fixed bugs in it for 2.5 where the AI would sometimes be disgusted by the idea of marrying it's sister

This is why I love this game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e3: Hahaha holy poo poo there's an event for if you're playing as the antichrist when they come of age, that's loving fantastic

What is that? Need to know. I only had the antichrist event once and for stupid roleplaying reasons (he was killing his siblings and I was a pious character, also it was the second child of my starting character so it was REALLY early on) I had his head chopped off after defeating him and his witches in a massive battle in the Alps where I threw everything I had, plus thousands of mercenaries, at them.

By the way everybody hated me for killing my DEMON SPAWN child, after having fought tooth and nail and sacrificing thousands of lives to save the rest of the world from eternal damnation, that's lovely of you guys.

It was kind of epic actually, but I wish I could see what happens when you actually get to play as the unholy prick.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I haven't played in a few months, what's a good easy start to get accustomed to the game again? (not ireland please)

I have every DLC.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Torrannor posted:

^^ Tribal vikings are a bit tricky, though it's easy mode once you reformed and became feudal.

Byzantine Empire? Umayyad Sultanate? Charlemagne himself?

If you want to play a horde, Khazaria or Bulgaria are easy starts.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions but I disregarded them all. I really wanted to get back in a feudal christian situation and avoid messing with tribes/hordes, but not as a big world power, so I chose 1066 Tuscany; protection from the outside world via HRE, and internally it seems much more powerful than any neighbour.

I seem to remember Matilda used to have a husband and 2 sons in 1066, but now she's the only living member of her dynasty :stare: so I grabbed a Croatian genius duke with superstats as my husband, selected the family focus and I'm about to start churning out babies. The next 16 years are going to be tense :v:

My demesne is at 7/5 though and of course I have no family members to assign the extra land to, will this bite me in the rear end? Should I just get over it and assign the extra land to some random content courtier?

Also what's a good way to start my inevitable expansion to ultimately form the Kingdom of Italy? Currently I have assigned my genius 19 diplomacy husband as chancellor and he's fabricating a claim on Bologna, it seems a very juicy and undefended county.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Arbite posted:

Can't she still marry El Cid?

Can she? Too late anyway, that croatian guy gave me two sons already, and I need his 19 diplo being a female ruler over demesne limit :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dallan Invictus posted:

Doesn't currently have any daughters though? But 2 over demesne limit is isn't a terminal problem, it's -20 opinion and some relatively minor income/levy penalties, OP can probably ride it out with high state diplomacy (also IIRC Matilda has a pretty good martial score and favourable traits so she shouldn't have TOO many problems with her vassals.)

Spot on, I don't have daughters but at this rate I'll get one soon - two times pregnant in 2 years, that croatian guy has super-sperm or something!

Anyways the -20 demesne limit is not a dealbreaker, Matilda is awesome, croatian guy Gavril has all skills between 14 and 19 so it's a great boost, and most vassals are no problem; increasing centralization already put me at 7/6 demesne, later on I'll be able to give out stuff to my hopefully expanded dynasty (that thing of matrilineally marry a daughter and grant land to the husband is awesome by the way, never thought of that)

so now I just have to find a way to appease the Emperor because he loving hates me for being wrong culture / envious / zealous... if I don't do something he'll throw my rear end in jail, I just know that

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Too Poetic posted:

I'm pretty sure if your a woman leading armies it does make it impossible to get an heir.

Maybe if the other commanders in the army have seduction focus they can give you a good tumble in the commanders' tent? :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im pretty excited for this. More focus on internal politics is everything I wanted, and those civil laws looks awesome

Yes everything that adds more roleplay / internal stuff is gold, I kinda regret getting RoI and Horse Lords since I rarely play as not-european but Sons of Abraham and Way of Life are my favourite expansions for obvious reasons. This council stuff seems to impact everything in game, whatever you play as since you will basically always have vassals or be one yourself. Also finally a sensible education system rather than "always educate yourself to minmax traits until a week before kid turns 16, then pass tutoring to guy with top Diplo/Steward education if you don't have it" is much appreciated, educating heirs became kind of a chore.

Actually, also selecting tutors for all the drat kids around is a chore, since you won't have that many great educators: after a certain point I just start random assigning or letting the game choose and it results in lots of lovely kids with undesirable traits. No matter how many eugenics tricks I try, my court is always filled with bad-statted, bad-traited people...

I wish they also did something about the "HAHA I WON'T EVER PEACE OUT UNLESS YOU TAKE 15 YEARS SIEGING ALL MY LAND FOR 100% WARSCORE gently caress YOU" attitude the AI has. I mean, it's understandable if you're trying to claim their primary title or 80% of their land or whatever, but a Kingdom made of 5 duchies with 2-4 counties each should not be so stubborn over a single county for instance.

Basically I'd love a more elaborate peace/alliance/diplomatic system like we have in EU4, hopefully the "New diplomatic system" is just that :D

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok in preparation of the new DLC I started an Old Gods game, as the Duke of Spoleto because I did want to be powerful but not a king just yet.

Little did I know, two years into the game a faction succeeds in pressing Elective on the Kingdom of Italy, so I'm asked to vote on a successor. Why not me?

Not two weeks later, King Louis dies in battle against Lotharingia and since 3 other blokes supported me, I am now King of Italy :stare: I literally did nothing but get married, bang my sweet wife to get a heir, assign my councilors and choose the Intrigue focus.

It's a very nice departure from the usual "liege hates you and imprisons you immediately" that most vassal starts have been for me, but it's actually sapped my will to keep playing for the night...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Clanpot Shake posted:

If you think that's :stare:-worthy, thanks to medium crown authority and a lust for Catholic lands my Viking vassals conquered the entirety of the British Isles in the span of maybe 60 years, giving me enough to form the empire without ever personally going to war.

That's something.

I know my situation isn't that outlandish but being gifted a kingdom at 20 years old, without even having to do anything kinda startled me.

Anyways there's always a catch, my wife turned out to be a cheating whore so I threw her in the oubliette and divorced, now I have to lose even more prestige to keep eugenics going :mad:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TorakFade posted:

Ok in preparation of the new DLC I started an Old Gods game, as the Duke of Spoleto because I did want to be powerful but not a king just yet.

Little did I know, two years into the game a faction succeeds in pressing Elective on the Kingdom of Italy, so I'm asked to vote on a successor. Why not me?

Not two weeks later, King Louis dies in battle against Lotharingia and since 3 other blokes supported me, I am now King of Italy :stare: I literally did nothing but get married, bang my sweet wife to get a heir, assign my councilors and choose the Intrigue focus.

Update: I forgot to set the Ironman flag on that game, and I really wanted to get achievements; plus the ridiculousness of being literally gifted Italy 2 years in was kind of too much, so I restarted the game.

Well this time I tried to support the Elective faction but the King bullied everyone out of it immediately. Oh well I guess getting lucky twice in a row would be insane. So I went and married a nice girl who unsurprisingly turned out to be a cheating whore, but at least she gave me a daughter. I chose the Business focus and started building an economic base by upgrading the castle towns in my demesne.

Not long after, I get a normal illness and die two weeks later, aged 23. My 2 y.o. daughter is hated by everyone including her 17-intrigue mother, I don't think she will last long, and I don't fancy a 14 year regency at the start of the game anyways.

I swear to God, whenever I activate ironman Bad Things happen... it's basically the polar opposite of the previous run.

I'm not sure I want to restart yet again as Duke of Spoleto in 867, so what's some good easy alternative start to try for some easy achievements? I have basically none because I never played ironman for the aforementioned reasons :argh: I have all content DLC but I'm not keen on going with hordes or tribals, I want to ease back into the game as the usual boring feudal christian ruler.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can see that modding, savescumming and such would make achievements trivial, but the lengths the game goes to ensure you never get one unless the stars are properly aligned is kind of baffling.

Especially considering achievements don't actually matter nor are in any way meaningful besides giving you an extra objective.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So how do you make friends? I don't want to be lonely :smith:

I think I only had a couple and they were random bishops or courtiers, can you actually game the system somehow to make powerful friends? Does the carousing focus give you more chances? I almost never take it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ofaloaf posted:

An attractive horse.

A strong, attractive, imbecile horse. What is the rightmost trait? It kinda looks like a donkey but it can't be, that is clearly a horse :colbert: This is wonderful, I guess I have to pick up lunatic to put a horse in my court/council?

Also I gained a favour with a guy for promising to vote like him in the council but there have been no votes yet, I guess free favour. Can I use it to have him back me up for a vote in elective monarchy or is that limited to council voting?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started an ironman game as Matilda of Tuscany in 1066. Boring I know but I want it easy starting out with conclave.

So I just had a second son and I am still on gavelkind. Even with low centralization I am still over demesne limit, 7/6 and my only relatively strong vassal is the count of Parma and Corsica. The rest are lovely mayors I don't care about.

Should I change to elective and give away a county or two, or endure the malus from demesne too big? Or switch to seniority? I suppose keeping gavelkind is foolish since I plan to have more sons if possible...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'd go seniority if it were me.

Yeah thought so, actually I have no other family members since it's the very beginning, and it will work as primogeniture.

Later on I guess my kids will have to sort that poo poo out but eh, it's not always good to be the Grand Duke.

Now that over demesne limit malus ... should I be doing something about it, or just increase centralization a bit more?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

-Troika- posted:

Ahahaha what the hell

I just got an event where my king and a bunch of random courtiers were capering about dressed as wildmen, and someone set everyone involved on fire, causing a profusion of wounds and maimings (my king escaped with just a wound).

How do I trigger this, I need to know

or better yet, how do I trigger this on my enemies

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So after a few years spent appeasing my council and waiting out realm peace, I finally managed to grab enough land to form the Kingdom of Italy.

Now, since after succession most of my brothers kinda hate me, I had to give them some counties and titles to keep them happy, but I still own every duchy.

Of course I'm starting to have quite a problem with that and people desiring them, so it's time to start distributing that poo poo. I think I'll be keeping the duchies of Tuscany and Spoleto, so I have Lombardy, Modena, Susa and another I can't remember right now to give away (or would it be best to keep Tuscany, which is already upgraded quite a bit, and Lombardy since it has a lot of space? I'd have to revoke quite a bit of titles since I personally own only the county of Lombardy). What's the best way to do it without screwing myself over in the process?

2 of my 3 brothers are counts at the moment, they're kinda happy with me should I give them the relevant duchies or will that just have them press claims against me and gently caress me up? Better to give them to content, unrelated people so my stupid, power-hungry family members become THEIR problem?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If your kingdom capital is in Lombardy, you won't have to worry about tyranny to revoke the other counties in that duchy - one of the things that makes the "plot to revoke X" plots available is for counties in your capital duchy. It doesn't even have to be the de jure capital, so feel free to move your capital there solely for the purpose of plotting to revoke the counties.

Generally it's best to only hold on to duchies that you can fully control while staying undertone remember limit (so you don't get vassals with "desires the duchy of (your capital)" penalties). How big that is depends on how good the counties are - if you've got counties with 5 or 6 holding slots it doesn't take much to hit your limit if you go nuts building castles (which is usually a good idea because it lets you apply the various "capital county" bonuses as well as train troops/collect taxes jobs to multiple holdings at once). So you might only want a duchy with 3 counties in that case. If they've already been built way up with cities/temples, on the other hand, then you might want a bigger duchy since your holdings will be spread around more.

Regardless of which ones you decide to keep, it's not always a terrible idea to give land to kin, but it's probably better to find some more distant relatives that don't have claims on your titles rather that brothers/sons. You'll also want to make sure they aren't themselves an heir to something already, as you might suddenly find them controlling a lot more land than you expected.

I think the de jure capital of Italy is Pavia, currently in the hands of a random content guy. But unless it gets changed automatically it should actually be still in Florence, as it's my starting capital.

It's around 1100 so nothing built besides some upgrades. IIRC Tuscany is 3 counties with 5-3-3 holdings (main castle not included) for a total of 5 free slots, Spoleto is two counties with 3-3 slots (2 free) so it should be quite enough, considering that with conclave it's harder to get a super stewardship ruler. Five counties is small enough to always keep it all even with bad stewardship, and once I build some castles it can get good I guess.

Also being so early my only adult dynasty members are brothers with claims on my poo poo, so I don't have much choice, better give duchies to them rather than random people then?

I remember a game where I had moved my capital to Palermo, which has 7 slots, and built it up to 1 city, 1 church and 5 castles.. It was ridiculously overpowered, with the marshal+capital+duchy bonus to levies I could raise 8k troops easily just from that county.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 8, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I like the dlc a lot, the council is a great idea and I don't mind the nerfs to blobbing/stackwiping, but I play this for crazy shenanigans not map painting. EU4 is excellent for that.

Once the issues with the education system get sorted out (I fully agree that children should get more traits out of it) I would say it's a must buy if you enjoy the dynasty and roleplaying aspect more than war and blobbing.

Also for the love of God, make wars not always require 100% warscore, pretty please?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 12, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

People in CK2 are mostly womanizers whose sole purpose is to bang every female ever regardless of age, beauty, status or genetic defects.

Seriously, the seduction focus need reworking, as Matilda di Canossa I had at least 5 people trying to get in my panties every couple of months regardless of how many times I turned them down. When I did turn them down, they went on to try and tumble every one of my female courtiers, even lisping hunchbacks.

No wonder every one of my sons went on to become paranoid, there's a 99% chance that at least one of their children is not theirs seeing how things go in the realm.

Now playing as her eldest son, King Chiaffredo "the Quarreler" of Italy (he beat the crap out of his brother at a party); when he went stressed + depressed in his early 50's I thought he'd be a goner but he just shed the traits and picked up Lunatic, now he howls at the moon and does crazy poo poo.

Luckily all my vassals like him because he's been reigning for almost 25 years and handed out counties and duchies like candy after forming the kingdom, but they're understandably a little put off by his crazy shenanigans. I can totally picture them going "hey old Chiaffredo is doing THAT again, the silly old fool; I'm lucky he granted me the Duchy of Sardinia before going totally bonkers, but hey he's not so bad after all". I seriously hope he lives long enough to put Glitterhoof on the council :allears:

I love this game.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 13, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are mods that do an effective job of making seduction non-crazy, or it takes just a few minutes to jigger some settings yourself, but I guess you guys are ironman or bust?

I am currently ironmanning to get a few achievements (200 hours and only two achievements just feels bad, man) but I am not opposed to modding, as long as said mods are not made by me :v:

Problem is that afaik to find mods you have to look and hope to find them amongst rape mods, add-a-million-counties mods, master race mods, food porn mods and such.. And it just saps my will to live.

The vanilla ck2 experience is enjoyable to me so I avoid overhauls and big mods compilations, I mostly use my personal castle, the AGOT total conversion (Yes an overhaul but a truly perfect match for this game) and that's it.

Are there any recommend lists of the "best" mods?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So my first-born son turned out to be a rowdy child, so I went for a martial education.

I got the pop up when it completed that he excelled and became a brilliant strategist, sadly besides not getting any leadership trait, he also became slow (I realize a martial education might not be the best for developing intelligence, but -3 to all stats is pretty loving harsh). So of course I did what any good father would do, that is spy on him, make up some fake charge against him, and threw him in the oubliette.

Now I'm getting older and the fucker still doesn't want to kick the bucket, I might have to resort to executing him for that fake charge just to make sure his brighter brother inherits. Also I've been trying to kill off my harlot unfaithful wife but people keep abandoning the plan after I bribed them, it's getting on my nerves.

What have you done to me, game?

By the way, there's something funky about congenital traits, there's strong and quick people all over the place - it used to be hard to find a girl with either trait to marry, now they're a dime a dozen - but it seems a lot tougher to actually pass the traits to your children. Also I'm pretty sure I spotted an adult that still had a childhood trait (curious I believe)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What the hell. Why can I not raise merchant ships as tribal still? Why the hell is my split council (3 for, 3 with) not deciding in my favour?? I thought the player was supposed to be the tie breaker, not just go "no, gently caress you, the idiots in your council don't like more land!!!"

Ties are decided by the ruler, but if any seat is empty (even if it's just an advisor seat and not a true council position), it counts as "no". Check if you have an advisor seat empty, it appeared for me after I passed a certain number of counties/vassals and couldn't figure out why I was being hosed over on ties until I filled it with a random guy I wanted to befriend.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So what's the go-to strategy for removing power from your council or passing unpopular laws? (my councillors always hate giving power to women and they also hate controlled inheritance, they oppose both as if their life depends on it)

Just bury the fuckers under piles of gold to buy favours and call them in for half the council at the same time?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Apoffys posted:

It depends on your situation, there are several ways to handle it. If you have gold, you can just buy favours. If you're strong enough to risk a civil war (from excluding powerful vassals from the council), you could appoint loyalists or low-ranking vassals (who are cheaper to bribe) to the council.

Favours don't seem to be inherited, so if you're sneaky enough to get away with some assassinations, you could just ask for their support (owing them a favour) and then have them killed after the law is passed. Failing that, ask for support from someone on the council who is likely to die anyway soon (old/sick) and hope they don't get around to cashing in their favour. People generally sit on their favours for ages rather than immediately cashing them in, so it's not too risky.

Also, you can only pass a new law every 5 years or so (I don't remember the exact number), so you could just reshuffle the council to pass a law every 5 years and then reappoint the old council afterwards.

I like this, especially now I'm delving a little more into intrigue.

Related, can you tell how a vassal will turn out once you put him on the council? I know zealous will make zealot council members (duh), I think brave and/or proud makes glory hounds, but I can't figure what factors in for pragmatists and loyalists, especially the latter is very rare understandably. Content? Just high opinion of you?

Even then it seems half my council is always zealots that don't want me warring against my de jure subjects :argh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

gently caress you Italy, you magnificent thunderdome.

A gay vassal was trying to seduce constantly my 70 year old ruler :gonk: , I happened to live into my 80's, so everybody loved the hell out of me. Towards the end I was getting bolder and bolder and started doing tyrannical and just crazy stuff trying to grab as much land as possible before kicking the bucket, so I had the HRE declare war on me over the duchy of Susa. Who cares, I'll just borrow money from the Jews, expel them and hire 20k mercenaries because I'm loving rich.

It actually worked, managed to peace out the bastards and crush a civil war for more council power. gently caress you vassals.

After succession (I outlived all my sons so I became my grandson, already 18y.o. and married to a lovely random girl that I promptly made disappear) my vassals kinda despise me, and a couple adventurers thought they could take a bite out of me since I also own the kingdom of Pomerania. Crushed them too.

Cue another revolt for increased council authority, I won't take any of that, I just flood them in my still loyal vassals troops.

Then this :

Whoa guy thanks for the tip-off about killing me, you silly fool. To the dungeon with you it is, and you're lucky I don't want Cruel this early on or I'd have you loving beheaded. Now waiting out on truces to keep nibbling at the Kingdom of Sicily so I can usurp it (I'm missing 3 or 4 counties I think) and become Emperor of Italia, then it's pretty borders time - need to reclaim a couple counties from the HRE, that can't go down badly :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 18, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jedit posted:

You joined a plot to kill yourself?

My grandson was probably plotting to kill me because I wouln't die on my own, so when I finally gave up and keeled over from natural cause at 80, the plot was reset to target the player character and one last event fired before the game could fix itself I guess?

Nothing ever came out of it anyways besides an imprisoned bishop.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

yes and

- Added a number of new insults and compliments to the dynamic insult/compliment system for traits.
- Added special childish insults/compliments to many traits. Younger children will now use these instead of the adult ones.

that's cute, I'd love some examples :D

also this is interesting:

- Added new traits Brawny and Frail, which are similar to Strong and Weak but non-congenital.
- Added the traits Shrewd and Dull, which are similar to Quick and Slow but non-congenital.
- Events giving Quick or Genius now add Shrewd (except Devil spawn). It is possible to stack Shrewd with quick/genius ( :getin: eugenics)

and the usual CK2patchnotes.txt material:

- Event 64080 shall no longer cause men to impregnate themselves
- If you manage to seduce your spouse it will no longer be considered a scandalous act of incest (unless you are married under by certain religious ceremonies)
- Committing suicide now gives you a strong negative general opinion modifier.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sometimes the game gives, sometimes it takes away. Sometimes both in one fell swoop.

I joined the crusade for jerusalem in 1205, after a fierce battle with the HRE over the county of Saluzzo. I didn't want another war so I guessed I'd just be off crusading to avoid people and vassals jumping on me while my levies were semi-depleted.

Actually when I landed my meager 5k troops in jaffa, things started going our way and we handily won, but in the last crucial battle my strong, brave King Enzio the Terrible got bonked on the head and went incapable at 35 years old.

Of course the Pope granted me the Kingdom of Jerusalem and my cousin, spymaster and now regent took the chance to steal part of my demesne. Plus I made the foolish mistake (in character I guess since I'm a drooling retard now) of letting a vassal distribute the extra 30 or so titles I got from this ordeal.

Also my only kid turned out to be the demon spawn. And my wife wrestled the regency from my cousin because she became ambitious, it's been about 5 years of regency now and I can't wait to finally kick the bucket and become the demon spawn just so I can gently caress over my loving cousin and wife for stealing the county of Spoleto and being power-hungry jackasses. Also can't wait to see the possessed events, and I really want to usurp the Kingdom of Sicily so I can finally be emperor of Italia. I also vassalized the Knights Templar and Knights of St. John just because I could, guess that'll come in handy when the Seljukids come knocking for Jerusalem... if my realm doesn't implode first and I actually die instead of being incapable for another 20 years.

I love this game, even though it becomes quite a lot to handle when you're past a certain point and I'm not sure I want to manage all this poo poo.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 25, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

webmeister posted:

Okay, so where am I going wrong here? I'm slowly getting into this game as a complete newbie, and I'm following along with CapnAndy's tutorial Ireland LP. Obviously a lot of stuff has changed since he started, but I can generally get the gist of stuff. I started a new game in 1066 Ireland as the petty king of Munster, and declared war on Deasmhumhain (Desmond) to bring it within my duchy like CapnAndy did. I smashed his troops in a couple of battles, sieged out the first two holdings and with the warscore at 100% I claimed the victory.

Now the next step he took was booting out Earl Muiredach via a Plot to revoke the county of Desmond, but when I try and do that the option is greyed out (see screenshot below). I satisfy the requirements, but for some reason I'm not able to claim it. Any ideas?

I'm on the most recent version but I haven't bought any expansions after Republics.

I think revoke plots are just coloured in grey to differentiate them from the others, but you should be able to select it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The B_36 posted:

I'm fairly new to the game, but wouldn't all these succession issues with gavelkind be taken care of by switching to one of the elective ones? Your elected heir gets all the titles then anyway right? Sure, you don't get to know for sure whom out of your dynasty will get to be the heir (tho you have alot of control over it), but when it just goes automatically to your oldest son, you not only lose half your demesne most times, but he could grow up to be a complete retard. Between your votes and your vassals vote, you're going to end up with an heir that is at least pretty competent. The demesne size bonus with gavelkind usually only seems to give you an extra 1, maybe 2 holdings most times anyway.

Fact is, unless you're talking about Tanistry, Elective doesn't guarantee that the heir will be of your dynasty. Any person of your dynasty or any elector is eligible, and if you're not well liked they might well rally behind one of their own to screw you out of your title - happens quite often if your old ruler who was loved passes away, you're now playing the heir but everybody kinda hates you so they cast their votes for someone else, and then you die before you can make them change their minds. Mysterious circumstances and all that.

Sure you can usually claw your way back to the title with claims, gifts or favours but it's a pain. Still beats gavelkind of course, but I can see why someone prefers primogeniture and just weathers through the occasional dumb, lovely first-born. Or send him to lead a 1k army against the Mongols in plague-ridden counties so that the second-born genius son can take his rightful place.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jedit posted:

Everyone hates you and you have a much smaller army.

What could possibly go wrong?

Btw how do you all set the taxes / levies sliders? I tend to mostly ignore them, maybe raise taxes for the mayors but that's it. I guess it's not efficient but I am afraid to gently caress things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just started another Ireland game because it was too long ago I united the green island.

Things are going really peachy (if being called "the Strange" because you read the whole Necronomicon is somehow peachy), but now I'm at an impasse. It's 1095 or so and I am still on gavelkind since I'm 47, my wife is 45 and I only had 1 son and 2 daughters. I thought succession was safe for another generation, but that old hag just won't stop spewing forth babies from her Occitan crotch, thrice-cursed be her name, and she gave me a second son at 45 years of age.

Now I worked hard to bring all my 5 counties in my personal demesne, so I'm not about to let the realm split. I promptly bought favors with my massive gold stockpile, and passed the feudal late administration law so I can choose a new inheritance model.

What should it be? I have a wonderful first born son and he's just about 17 while I'm 47 so primogeniture would be the obvious choice right now, while tanistry would put in power some old lovely cousin but might be clearly better in the long run.

I hate having to choose an inheritance law in this game.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 7, 2016

• Locked thread