Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Whats this I hear about a MOTHERFUCKING MONGOL ORIENTED EXPANSION? And the borderline certitude that this means a MOTHERFUCKING MONGOL ORIENTED EXPANSION is next in line for EU4 because paradox likes to line up their regionally themed xpacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

The General posted:

I've started as Sigurgr of.. uhh. Pre-Sweden, in the CM start. I've amassed all of Sweden, and probably all of Finland, and Norway My problem is, I have no idea what the hell to do about Elective Gavelkind, and the eleven or so titles I'm going to lose when I die?

Your probably gonna lose them. Welcome to unreformed pagans. It's not supposed to be stable or easy.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a fun/interesting non-Catholic, non-Norse start? I've played 1066 Ireland to death and the Norse seem really OP.
Pick the farthest tengri duchy. Kyrgyz I think? Although in one start I think they're a Zoroastrian heresy or something silly. Expand west until you hit Iceland.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

T___A posted:

Playing as a Zoroastrian what is the best way to convert pagans?

You have axes and swords I presume?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Just read the 9 minute WC game here
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-conquer-the-world-in-9-years.785567/

Basically you start as a Karling and depose yourself until you inherit everything and then become an Altaic Pagan to invade/subjugate everyone ever.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Why? What would it add? There are no Greeks in this timeline. What would the capital be? Alternatively, why not just customize some empire title for it? Does the flag mean that much to you?

He might be joking.
e: also I just discovered you can make a normal game into ironman. This seems to be a useful thing to do for people who aren't quite ready for normal Ironman games, or want to play out a weird scenario.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ooh, they're finally making note of the Steppes bizarre obsession with being descended from wolves, which somehow managed to be a common theme of pretty much every major Turkic-Mongolian dynasties mythology since there were people to make note of such things.

e: I imagine it will be limited to either a half dozen or so dynasties, or be something you get when you are sufficiently powerful and notable.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

Haha, those crazy Mongols! No civilized people would make 'raised by wolves' a key part of their founding myth! :agesilaus:

Nah. All cultures and ancient dynasties had dumb founding myths. Just in Steppe culture it was pretty much always "I'm 1/16th wolf". Given how large the steppe is, and the span of time between all the different dynasties that came up with it it's kinda weird.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Bears, birds, and uhh....grass.

e: But seriously there's some freaky big Eagles out there.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

verbal enema posted:

minor title menu yessssss

How the hell is Yabgu a minor title?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is there any lineage consequences to having a wife get knocked up during an affair (other people gaining claims because the kid it really theirs or something)? Because my dude's wife popped out like three babies while he was away. I called her on it and tried to arrest her but she fled so I divorced her, married again, and now THIS wife is getting pregnant while my character is away.

I mean, I picked Seduction because he started with zero kids, but this is not how I pictured him getting heirs!

Does your guy have the paranoid trait?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

groogy posted:

In essence, more dead characters doesn't make game slower. More alive characters does. But what really hits performance are large empires because it increases the amounts of realms (every ruler technically holds his own sub-realm) meaning more evaluations per character has to be made. For instance I discovered late game that huge greek/byzantine empires were slowing down the game because each greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?", and this took up like a huge chunk of the performance of the AI. I hink 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone when I loaded late-game byzantine saves. Luckily this is fixed in the coming 2.4 patch.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Huskalator posted:

Me too, this sucks. Anyone found a workaround yet?

Wait for it to properly launch. Go eat a food and lift a thing. Watch a Rick and Morty Rerun. Come back. Play game.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Holy poo poo did they buff the Abassids in the Charlie start.
The Uqaylids (armenis), Taids (persia), Bajanids (North Persia), and Taghlibids(Pakistan) are all loving tributaries now. Hopefully they all unite to smash the fucker or something cuz holy poo poo.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Gonna mod my 'yam' building into 'potato' building

:ussr:

Its not that kind of Yam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(route)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I'm sure I'll get it regardless, but does this add anything for non Mongols? Or is it pretty much just horde gameplay?

Well as a non-horde you can get raided by Mongols and have them settle in your lands as a scary vassal.
e: The Tarim Basin is also feudal, so you can play as Uighurs. And conquering the Steppe as a non-nomad works alot differently.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So fun fact. You can set up an incredibly stable and powerful Zoroastrian empire in the Old Gods start date. Start as Yagbu and your sole other Clan is zoroastrian. Once you hit 50 piety, and good relations with him (go for blood oath) you can convert with no stupid penalties and all your holdings convert too. Murder the Persians and become the Messiah. Then murder the Greeks for another cheev.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Regions are defined by de jure duchies rather than province IDs. :psyduck:

Things can't move between de jure duchies, so it's all the same isn't it?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

lurksion posted:

Haven't paid attention in a few months and this snuck up. Holy poo poo the archer/horse archer nerfs (and light infantry :confused:) in terms of stats and tactics (and assault using melee stats).

On the other hand, steppe cultures basically wander around with stacks of pure cavalry now.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

What happens if you burn down the temple in a holy site?

Is it your holy site? Switch religions then find out.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Be less of a pussy and be the Charlie start Mongol: Burkhan of Bayan. Sure, your a tributary who inevitably gets murdered by the Uighurs the second that tributary status goes away. But thats why you have to murder other people first. What you do is: Vassalize a county in the Tarim basin. Conquest a county. Move horde there. Murder the rest of the Tarim basin. Become the god of Money. Kill Uighurs.

Tell the Tangs to go eat a dick. Your the money god. Not them.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Quick question, weren't Italians supposed to use nonstandard portraits?

e:

Iberians and Byzantines have their portraits activated and working.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Raserys posted:

I'm pretty sure that Inbred not only cancels out some bonuses of Genius, but also makes them infertile

They're also likely to die from events in childhood, even with the Strong trait. I think I've seen an inbred person make it to adulthood like, once.

FreudianSlippers posted:

At first I was really surprised there was a special Cuman portrait pack since I thought they were basically just Turks. But then I did a bit of research and found out that I was being racist against Cumans since they apparently were very distinct from most of the other Turkic peoples and most of them had blonde hair. But from what I've seen the portrait pack doesn't really seem to reflect that.
The Cuman pack covers basically all the "northern turkic" groups. And the Cumans likely weren't all blonde, just lots of them.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 21, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope that for the next DLC we get four more levels of the inbred trait so we can recreate this.

Although I admit that I was generalizing grossly about Turkic peoples, who are no doubt hugely diverse, but I can't help but to think that there might be a slightly stronger resemblance between people who live in the same region(which admittedly is huge) and speak related languages than between people in Ireland and people in the Maghreb. Who speak totally unrelated languages and live in totally different regions.

Keep in mind this region has significant contact with Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, China, and Persia. And tribes could end up on thousands of miles away from where they were a generation ago. Basically every eurasian ethnicity got thrown into that genetic stew.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

While your here groogy, can you use your magical dev powers to tell this guy to leave?

He refuses to leave my capital, just sits on it until the looted modifier goes away and gets another 400 gold to make himself even more stupidly huge with.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 24, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Finally get an achievment run for Saoshyant off the ground. Before my first ruler dies I get demon spawn. Not sure whether this is terrible or awesome. Well its definitely awesome. Just not sure if this run will survive the demon-messiah :kheldragar:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Not really. The Mongols caught Central Europe by surprise in 1241; however, they did not have the ability to move their horse armies--at least in great numbers--over the heavily wooded European terrain.

As the invasion of 1285 showed, after the Poles and Hungarians had erected "Western" style fortifications, the Mongols probably did not have the capacity to deal with the stone fortified positions farther West in Europe.

And there were probably 1,500 castles in Western Europe at the time.

Would that really matter? Heavily defensible mountain fortresses didn't stop the Mongols from stomping on the Persians.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 28, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Foreign Tudors work and everyone loves hostages.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I don't really think the pillaging system was designed with slaughtering entire countries at once in mind. I also think pillaging a holding should increase the revolt risk of all counties of that religion or culture you control. Or maybe even just all non-nomadic holdings with a huge rear end opinion modifier for all non-nomadic vassals. People seem to take the rapid genocide of the globe rather well all things considered.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So while I've been rampaging around Ireland, a few...things have happened in the rest of the world.

The Norse kingdom of Algeria.

Vikings murdered the pope and took his poo poo while Europe watched. The Pope now lives in a temple I gave him in tribal Ireland.

Byzantium somehow manage to get ahold of Dihistan despite not having any bordering provinces at any time, and gave it to a gay leprous Armenian drunk, who happens to be the last scion of the ancient Zoroastrian dynasty of the Arsacids and cousins of the Karens and Sassanids. And if I'm looking at this right is probably the current heir to the Sassanian dynasty as well, as most of the successor dynasties to the Arsacids that are present at the game start are currently extinct or unlanded and about to be. He has no male children and his female heir is non-matrileneally married. Way to gently caress up your dynasties chance at redemption buddy.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 9, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I was wiki walking at work about twelver Shiism and I just realized that several of the 12 imams were alive during some of the start dates. Are they actually in game?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

There are three kinds and they all have different functions. Steward dudes want to fight in a real war. Military ones want to raid. Religious ones wanna gently caress up infidels.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

What are some good horde starts?

I wanna try the 867 Khazars but my previous attempts at getting them anywhere have all ended in disaster. Does being a horde give them any sort of buff?

I've also considered starting as far-east horde and working my way towards Persia through the silk road and then converting to Zoroastrianism and Persian culture because I've yet to manage to do a decent Zoroastrian game.

Start as the Old Gods Karens. Holy war for Mazandaran. Usurp duchy. Holy war for Tehran. Swear fealty to Turks. Culture change to Turks and enjoy your new raiding powers. Help Turks murder the Khazars.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hit me up if you ever need anyhelp with the less easy to read about parts of the world. Also: How are you dealing with the Tang?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Lord, horde troops are just insane. Despite the picture, this weren't actually horse archers on my side - they were camels.

They only had a 25% advantage over you with normal troops, and camels have a large defensive bonus, so you'd take few casualties. All cavalry armies means anything you defeat gets run down and slaughtered in the pursuit phase. Add to that they had no leader aaaand, you get that.

e: really when you look at these you should count the Light Infantry as being zero. Because thats how much they effect the outcome of battles.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 4, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

You're not actually immortal*, but a character with a health score above ten or so can live for a very, very long time. And yes, getting incapable in that situation sucks. I don' think a high health score even makes it less likely, so high health characters are almost guaranteed to produce decades of regency.

*If you want to be Actually Immortal, you have to mod that in :v:

(Actually Immortal characters aren't immune to incapability either, or madness, or great pox, any of the other permanent health traits characters will inevitable pick up if they live long enough.)

I once made a ridiculous leper king who was de-facto immortal in the unmodded character designer. Ended up living about 350 years before being assassinated because everyone hated him.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So I I have two sons. The oldest is born slow. So I train him to be a fighter because what else can the lad do? The second I name my primary heir. No congenital traits good or bad so I figure hes the better bet. I die while both are young.

The oldest learned how to be strong somehow. And is also gregarious and trusting. So he's a relatively well liked god-general, but has an intrigue of 0.
The one I'm now playing had only one trait when I started playing him: rowdy. Apparantly theres an even which makes this trait into the congenital "slow" trait. At age sixteen this is the state of affairs.

Goddamnit.
Seems it's way harder to game education to ensure that your chosen heir is the good one. At least I got brilliant strategist on both.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

shattered retreat is bad and makes the game very unfun

I mostly hate the weird places it sends your armies. Making sure you have more than one battle per war is great tho.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Think I figured out how I broke my republic game. Looks like the leader of the revolt against Sweden was a rival merchant republic. I guess the game wasn't able to handle a Duke republic being made a temporary vassal of a King republic.

Any suggestion for my next game as I feel I've seen all republics have to offer. I've played out the Viking starts, the Atlantic Archipelago, Byzantine Empire, Italian Counts, and others.

Be norse at the start. Conquer Rome. Convert it to Norse culture. Convert to Catholocism. swear fealty to the Pope and spend the rest of the game as his loyal dynasty of attack dogs creating a kingdom of God on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

The flanders thing seems out of place as a major rule. I've never noticed it making much of a difference

• Locked thread