Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

Is anyone else surprised that Facebook doesn't have a music service yet?

No.

I think they know how that pie's been divided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Where are you getting this?

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/ and scroll way down to Security. It also mentions two-factor authentication, but I thought that was already a feature of iOS 8.

And below that, they have a section on a new Android app to help to migrate to iOS.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

smackfu posted:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/ and scroll way down to Security. It also mentions two-factor authentication, but I thought that was already a feature of iOS 8.

And below that, they have a section on a new Android app to help to migrate to iOS.

Ha, oh man. I have a friend who insists on not moving to Touch ID because he doesn't want anyone to have his finger print and, "Besides, I'm so much faster entering my passcode than I know the touch ID could ever be," even though I've shown him how fast it is on mine. 6 digit passcodes are gonna piss him off so much, I can't wait.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, oh man. I have a friend who insists on not moving to Touch ID because he doesn't want anyone to have his finger print and, "Besides, I'm so much faster entering my passcode than I know the touch ID could ever be," even though I've shown him how fast it is on mine. 6 digit passcodes are gonna piss him off so much, I can't wait.

The six digit requirement is only if you use Touch ID. If he's not using Touch ID, the default is still 4.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Super Dude posted:

They want people to make desktop apps with Swift but they don't release it for Windows...what?
Presumably that's more of a LLVM issue and beyond the scope of the Swift team to control.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh bummer...looks like Apple music IS replacing music.app.

I hope I can clear away all the features I'll never use.*

*unlikely, but I'll adapt and move on. :sigh:

EDIT: Yeahhh..they're making Music.app even more convoluted to push Apple Music. To get to my own music, I'll now have to open the app, go to My Music and use a weird hodge-podge Album/Playlist view to find what I want. Rather than just opening the app and going to playlist.

I get why they're pushing their music service, but I'm an "old man". I like my music, let me listen to my music easily.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 8, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shin-chan posted:

The six digit requirement is only if you use Touch ID. If he's not using Touch ID, the default is still 4.

Oh, drat.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yeah I'm bummed that it's back to the left, also. Swipe down is one of the gestures I use most in iOS right now.

You'll be happy to know that swipe down for search is still present.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Snuffman posted:

EDIT: Yeahhh..they're making Music.app even more convoluted to push Apple Music. To get to my own music, I'll now have to open the app, go to My Music and use a weird hodge-podge Album/Playlist view to find what I want tap Playlists. Rather than just opening the app and going to playlist.
Right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The app will also remember the state it was last in when you used it too.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
By default, notifications are now displayed in chronological order and grouped by day, rather than grouped by app.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Snuffman posted:

EDIT: Yeahhh..they're making Music.app even more convoluted to push Apple Music. To get to my own music, I'll now have to open the app, and go to My Music
hosed up if true.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Whirlwind Jones posted:

hosed up if true.

It's not. The version in iOS 9 Seed 1 defaults to 'My Music'.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Three Olives posted:

That's not really my point, I just think it is weird how Apple is touting that X now supports Apple Pay when it is just off the shelf hardware. Like my nail salon supports Apple Pay, they don't give a poo poo, their credit card machine just came with a reader built in. Walgreen now supports Apple Pay! With the same terminals that they have had for years and years for the credit cards with NFC chips that never became very popular.

The differentiator with apple pay is the tokenization and bank back-end stuff for it, which is why you see so much talk about bank support. IIRC the last incarnation of google wallet tried to do an end run around the banks and/or put all your purchases through your google account and failed at that.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

thrawn527 posted:

By "anyone" I guess he means just "encoded in the write-only secure enclave on my iPhone's processor" because he drat sure leaves his fingerprints everywhere else he goes, including all over the visible surface of said iPhone.

Tell your friend some random internet guy thinks he's dumb.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

enMTW posted:

It's not. The version in iOS 9 Seed 1 defaults to 'My Music'.
lol, even better.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'll reserve full blown whining until I've actually tried the new app. :)

I'm just vaguely interpreting off of screenshots. Music.app looked pretty awful under iOS7/8 until I removed a bunch of categories I never use.

Wait and see! :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OK, so this is what I'm taking away from the Apple Music:
  • If you have Beats, you can move your subscription over to Apple Music. All your playlists, likes, and offline music are preserved.
  • You have access to the entire iTunes Store library and can do offline storage.
  • It does *not* replace iTunes Match in that Apple Music is only for music in the iTunes Store. If a lot of your music was uploaded via iTunes Match, you're better off keeping that service.
  • Works on Android
  • Works with Apple Watch... I'm not seeing the usefulness of that feature, but whatever.
  • Has a "family plan" using iCloud Family Sharing
This is actually looking pretty drat good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Supgaiz posted:

By default, notifications are now displayed in chronological order and grouped by day, rather than grouped by app.

An upgrade is worth it just for this.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

flosofl posted:

OK, so this is what I'm taking away from the Apple Music:
  • If you have Beats, you can move your subscription over to Apple Music. All your playlists, likes, and offline music are preserved.
  • You have access to the entire iTunes Store library and can do offline storage.
  • It does *not* replace iTunes Match in that Apple Music is only for music in the iTunes Store. If a lot of your music was uploaded via iTunes Match, you're better off keeping that service.
  • Works on Android
  • Works with Apple Watch... I'm not seeing the usefulness of that feature, but whatever.
  • Has a "family plan" using iCloud Family Sharing
This is actually looking pretty drat good.
From what I can tell, Apple Music includes iTunes Match, but if you're a current iTunes Match user who doesn't want to become an Apple Music "member" then that's fine, iTunes Music will still exit as a separate service.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rick posted:

An upgrade is worth it just for this.

? You have the ability to change the order already.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Michael Scott posted:

? You have the ability to change the order already.
How?

EDIT: I know there's a setting but it doesn't appear to work. At least it's not retroactive.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Astro7x posted:

The app will also remember the state it was last in when you used it too.

If this actually works then it's well worth it and I'll cancel my Play Music subscription immediately.

Hopefully this means it also won't auto play the first track in my purchased list every time I plug the phone into my car stereo.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
The Platforms State of the Union event is also streaming:
http://devstreaming.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/live/presidio_greys2jog1ot6u7/hls_mvp.m3u8

Currently talking about how new watch sdk works

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

From what I can tell, Apple Music includes iTunes Match, but if you're a current iTunes Match user who doesn't want to become an Apple Music "member" then that's fine, iTunes Music will still exit as a separate service.

I had read that as Apple Music works only stuff they already had in their store. The info page does state:

quote:

Does Apple Music work with iTunes Match?
Yes. Apple Music and iTunes Match are independent but complementary.
Which makes me think it's not quite the same thing. Obviously if all your music in iTunes was purchased from Apple, iTunes Match doesn't make sense in combination with Apple Music. But if you have a lot music that is no longer released or indie label stuff that isn't on iTunes, then you might still need Match if you want that music available for streaming to your iDevice.

I like your version better, though.

E: Since there's a 'free' tier of Apple Music, maybe it's one of those iTunes Match for people on the free tier and not needed for the subscription tier.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I wonder if that's really how it's gonna work. My Match subscription expires in a few days, but I'll probably be signing up for Apple Music when it comes out. If Match really is included then I won't be renewing my subscription this month. I'm trying to find some info about this but I'm not having any luck...

Edit: I did buy all my music from iTunes so I guess I won't be needing Match anymore.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

flosofl posted:

I had read that as Apple Music works only stuff they already had in their store. The info page does state:
This section makes it sound like Apple Music offers the same thing iTunes Match does.

quote:

How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?
With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

This section makes it sound like Apple Music offers the same thing iTunes Match does.

Welp. There you go. I'm glad to be proven wrong in this case.

The iTunes Match statement must be for the non-subscription version of Apple Music. Which, looking at the feature comparison, makes sense.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I wonder how much of the terrible unrehearsed rambling in that keynote came from needing to fill time at the last minute because the All-New All-Different Apple TV stuff was supposed to be there but had to be pulled.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Roadie posted:

I wonder how much of the terrible unrehearsed rambling in that keynote came from needing to fill time at the last minute because the All-New All-Different Apple TV stuff was supposed to be there but had to be pulled.

I doubt it considering it went way longer than a lot of their previous keynotes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If Apple Music isn't an addable SONOS service it can getfuct.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Read the liveblog earlier & just caught up with this thread. iOS9 sounds pretty :mediocre:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are there screenshots of the music app anywhere yet? Or video of it being used? Mainly I just want to see if it still looks like unusable garbage or if they've actually redesigned it to be like...good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrBond posted:

The differentiator with apple pay is the tokenization and bank back-end stuff for it, which is why you see so much talk about bank support. IIRC the last incarnation of google wallet tried to do an end run around the banks and/or put all your purchases through your google account and failed at that.

No, I appreciate all the work Apple did on the back end to get banks on board but I'm just saying from a consumer stand point stores aren't really doing anything to "support" Apple Pay, they are just off the shelf NFC enabled terminals that have been around for years even if nobody used them.

Actually I think it is kind of funny, half of the NFC terminals that I see have been around for like 10 years back when NFC enabled credit cards were going to be the next hot deal and never caught on. Like I said, my grocery store and nail salon both take Apple Pay but they don't give a flying gently caress about it, their terminals just happen to be NFC enabled. It's like with CVS and the whole CurrentC deal, they have had NFC terminals in most of their stores for years and year and years and had to go out of their way to disable NFC when NFC became Apple Pay and not just this thing that nobody uses.

edit: Trying not to be :hurr: Apple didn't invent NFC, I just think it's funny, it's like Chase bragging that you can use their credit card at pretty much any merchant, it has nothing to do with Chase, it's that all the credit cards are on on the Visa or Mastercard system, the retailers don't have to or give a poo poo that you card is Chase or not, they just care that it goes through the VisaNet system. Woohoo, you credit card terminal conforms to a decade old international standard, now get Chip and PIN dummies.

edit 2: I feel like I am being pedantic, if ApplePay gets retailers to replace their lovely terminals with ones that support Chip & PIN and NFC, I'm all for it as a person that has gone half a dozen credit cards in the past two years because of data breaches, it just seems weird for Apple to brag about how many (few) retailers have non-complete poo poo insecure terminals that also happen to support the standard that Apple is using for NFC payments.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 9, 2015

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
So, they added an iCloud Drive app. It's the only Apple app you can hide from the home screen and it's hidden by default.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

TheJoker138 posted:

Are there screenshots of the music app anywhere yet? Or video of it being used? Mainly I just want to see if it still looks like unusable garbage or if they've actually redesigned it to be like...good.

There's been an updated version in the 8.4 beta without the Apple Music stuff. Had some nice improvements like the "recently added" section and queuing(finally). I doubt I'll be using Picky anymore after 8.4 comes out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So if you have Apple Music, then there's no point in having Match, right? Since it sounds like Music does the same thing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Supgaiz posted:

So, they added an iCloud Drive app. It's the only Apple app you can hide from the home screen and it's hidden by default.

This is cool. Defaulting to hidden is not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's like apple don't want people using iCloud Drive for anything other than the iOS / OS X apps it's linked with. You have to use workarounds like Documents on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
There hasn't been any mention of Apple music working with Apple TV. I have iTunes Match currently and stream a bunch of music on my tv. Hopefully there is an apple music app update for it and they dump the beats app.

• Locked thread