Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I'd only ever played 20 or so minutes of the first AC, but I forced myself through this one because :pirate: Pirates :pirate:

The only redeeming part of this game is Sailing (cause sea shanties) and the goddamned Tradewinds style minigame. When the most engaging part of your vidyagame is cruising aimlessly on a brig...you have problems.

Combat,: Weak and uninteresting. There's no skill required and to make things interesting I was forced to let myself get mobbed by 20/30 guards at a time to get anything near a challenge.

Ship Battles: Far too easy - the pacing was awful in terms of 'lovely stolen brig' to 'deadly pirate vessel. This was still fun though, but being able to board ships/repair my own mid fleet battle made things too easy.

'Free Running': The AC Developers should have gone to dice and said "Hey...you made this fantastic parkour game called Mirror's Edge and we will give you actual money for that game mechanic...because ours is poo poo. I figured this would be a mechanic they would have improved in the what...10 years the series has been running (hated it in the first one too)...nope.

Stealth: Pedestrian at best. Zero challenge whatsoever. It's easy to be :ninja: when everyone you're trying to sneak past sucks at their job.

Storyline: Bland, unpredictable, directionless, and bat-poo poo crazy. Why did no one tell me there were aliens? The assassin/templar feud is contrived and beyond cliche. Characters sucked (With the exception of James Kidd, Ben Hornigold, and that cheery Pirate/Assasin chick in Havana. I didn't care about Kenway in the slightest.

BIGGEST GRIPE
If you want to make historical fanfiction games don't interrupt your boring story when it finally gets interesting by making me play 'Office Employee' for way longer than is necessary.

tl;dr

Assassin's Creed is Garbage.

EDIT:
Fortunately I got it free from Games on Gold so it didn't damage me financially.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Thanks for the review OP.
thankS.

I detect sarcasm.

Don't care, needed to rant.

ITT: We pitch a good version of Assassin's Creed.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Ciaphas posted:

Not far from correct really but I had a lot more fun with sailing and ship combat than you did apparently

Did you ever try fighting the big four ships of the line?

Yeah, those were fun.

And naval combat was really really fun until you get OP. The legendary ship battles were awesome though.

Whaling was pretty badass too.

Even the good parts of the game end up :mediocre: due to repetitiveness. It got to the point that I didn't even bother boarding and just pumped a broadside in to sink them.

As soon as you have the Mortar it breaks everything but the most badass of ships.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Endorph posted:

black flag would be a fine game if they got rid of the loving modern cutscenes

is there anyone in the loving world who cares about the modern assassin's creed story? i need to know
'Here's this character driven story with some pretty decent visuals'

"OH LOOK IT'S A VIDYA GAME INSIDE A VIDYA GAME...SOO META'

I don't think I would have been so upset if those hadn't been there. Especially considering the fact that there's no endgame to that story arcbullshit.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Did you just say a story being unpredictable was a negative?

Meant to say 'predictable'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I just went back to see if I could find anything interesting in the materials you "hack"

Apparently they think we've all forgotten frogger...

Seriously WHAT THE gently caress?

It's goddamned frogger.

• Locked thread