Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
98 Integra LS.

About a year ago, I drove through a big rear end puddle and filled my cylinders up with water. After I blew the water out, it appeared to have survived mostly unscathed, because it seemed to run fine for a whole year, other than an intermittent misfire.

Apparently I was wrong, because after I towed a trailer this weekend, the misfire became permanent and I have zero compression in cylinder 3.

What are the chances this is a headgasket and not something more serious? There are no tell-tale signs -- no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, and no bubbles in the coolant when the engine is running.

Can I nail down the cause without tearing the engine too far apart? If it's more than $500-700 I just want to scrap the car, so a new motor or a new head is out of the question (I'd be taking it to a shop, no garage to do something that serious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll just take it to a shop and explain the situation, since all of this requires tools I don't have.

ChewedFood posted:

And what state are you in? I've been looking for an integra shell.

MN

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I'm mostly "not willing to put in the work" limited. I have friends with garages and engine hoists if I really wanted to.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Swap in a CRV motor.

My parents actually have a '98 CRV they want to get rid of.

Unfortunately, it's down in Florida (I'm moving near them in 2 months), which is one of the reasons I'm strongly considering getting rid of the car -- would make the move much easier.

• Locked thread